Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-7-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Keyboards

I know, this has been discussed time and time again, but I think it's time for another thread.

What keyboard do you use and what kind do you wish you had?

I'm currently using the Razer Blackwidow and it's GREAT. I'll never use anything other than a mechanical keyboard again. The problem is, I've only had it for a few months and already I've gone through 4 setups. It is NOT built to last at all and I need something durable because keysmashing >.>

Here are the big two I've been considering buying, but again, what do you guys use and think, etc.

Rosewell Mechanical Cherry MX Red

Deck Legend 105: Toxic (Cherry MX Black)

ScarletSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
ninjaKIWI
plain old ugly ass dumbas
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ninjaKIWI
Default Re: Keyboards

If your blackwidow is breaking it's because you're treating it poorly, or something. It's not like for some reason the CherryMX Blues in the blackwidow are somehow lower quality.

On topic, if you really like the way the Blackwidow (With cherryMX blue switches) feels, the blacks are pretty much the exact opposite of blues. I can't stand red or black switches, gotta have blues. Browns and clears are okay too IIRC. I'm currently using the DAS Keyboard, I forget which version. It has blue switches.

EDIT: This is the version of the DAS Keyboard I have. I absolutely adore it.

Last edited by ninjaKIWI; 02-8-2012 at 12:04 AM..
ninjaKIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
00Razor00
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to 00Razor00 Send a message via Skype™ to 00Razor00

real bosses, such as myself, play on this bad boy:

Logitech Illuminated kb

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
hey buddy are you looking for a good song to step because if so i really recommend you step In Front Of A Bus
00Razor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2012, 12:07 AM   #4
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

@ninja
I've heard a lot of good things about DAS boards. I may check them out. I really like linear over tactile since I dgaf about typing speed really. I bottom out my keys all the time anyway so something that is built to take the bottoming out is better imo. Also, with any Razer products I've bought, they all seem really nice and cheap, but their quality sucks. Nothing I've gotten from them has lasted more than half a year.

@Jesse
Nice rubber domes. xD

Old 02-8-2012, 12:09 AM   #5
ninjaKIWI
plain old ugly ass dumbas

Send a message via AIM to ninjaKIWI

If you want something linear, then black switches are definitely what you want. My recommendations for that are the Steelseries 6Gv2 or the 7G. They're pretty much the same keyboard, I forget the differences. The 6Gv2 is probably a better deal. Rosewell is a really good manufacturer here, though.

Last edited by ninjaKIWI; 02-8-2012 at 12:11 AM..
ninjaKIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2012, 12:15 AM   #6
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Those Steelseries boards seem very nice too. They like to boast about their durability a lot, which is nice.

I'm curious though, what do others like to use? I'm sure not all of us like mechanical or specific types.

Old 02-8-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
Anaru
Banned
FFR Veteran

real bosses, such as myself and BOOBSRazorBOOBS, play that bad boy

here's some intense La Campanella AAAing action with the bad boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Razor00 View Post
real bosses, such as myself, play on this bad boy:

Logitech Illuminated KB

Anaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2012, 12:41 AM   #8
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Very nice AAA. o.o
I don't understand how anyone could pull that off and be human (unless you're a dossar).

I still say you're an idiot for not using a mechanical kb, but maybe you've just never had the pleasure to partake in using one.

Old 02-8-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
sticklydude
r.i.p. tiny hippo

Send a message via Skype™ to sticklydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletSky View Post
Very nice AAA. o.o
I don't understand how anyone could pull that off and be human (unless you're a dossar).

I still say you're an idiot for not using a mechanical kb, but maybe you've just never had the pleasure to partake in using one.
No point of asking for keyboards when you're gonna trash on them.

I also use the illuminated.
sticklydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Cyth The Raccoon
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Cyth The Raccoon Send a message via Skype™ to Cyth The Raccoon

I have myself a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate. The Razer keyboards are pretty cheap for the quality you get. They last long and have no delay, no issues but are a bit noisy. I'd recommend it if you live alone. :3

Razer

Most recent AAA (#425): Night Walker
Cyth The Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2012, 11:50 AM   #11
Anaru
Banned
FFR Veteran

i lol'd really hard @ scarletsky for calling me an idiot for not using a mechanical keyboard after asking for recommendations

scarletsky, i'm a billion times better than you at FFR/SM, etc and i use my non-mechanical keyboard.

oh did i mention a lot of other players who are 1000x better than you also use the logitech illuminated kb?

kid get your head out of your ass, and if you ask for advice, learn to appreciate advice

lol dude asks for advice and then calls me an idiot. what a retard.
Old 02-8-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
LongGone
-
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Let me write both sides of the story:

I used to purchase a wide variety of keyboards to find whats most suitable for my playstyle. The most expensive I went for was a mechanical Filco MX Blue, which I traded later with a friend for a Filco MX Brown. Prior to this, I was using my laptop keyboard+some cheap A4Tech Mini X-Slim keyboard which I used for years, and still use today.

--------------------------------------------------

My side of the story: I hated my mechanical keyboards, both blue and brown. The only reason really, is that I was too adapted to the flat keyboard layouts. They have minimal travel which I appreciated for playing speedfiles, and are responsive to the touch. If I were to do a jackhammer, I spend less time recovering from the recoil with the minimal key travel. Their build quality varies though; some flat keyboards are simple rubber dome ones (Like my X-Slim). Others like the Logitech X-Flat Premium/Illuminated/Razer Lyc/Artcosa etc have scissor lift which are deemed to have better build.

tl;dr I like flat keyboards because they let me play fast notes due to the minimal keytravel

The other side of the story: My friend plays rhythm games on a bulky keyboard (O2Jam mostly). One day I offered him to try my Filco Blue, and he pretty much had this massive skillboost playing on it. Bulky keyboards have an advantage of being easier to do holdstreaming (which isn't important in Stepmania or FFR), so it was perfect for him who plays longnote files on O2. It was much more responsive; whenever he pressed a key he knew for sure he was hitting it. For those that are coming from a bulky keyboard and moving to a mechanical one, they will probably enjoy the benefits of a mechanical KB most since there isn't anything new to get used to other than being perhaps more clicky (blues) and more responsive.

tl;dr My friend uses a bulky KB, moved to a Mech Blue KB and its excellent for him due to the responsiveness and tactility

Another story: Staiain used to play with a Logitech Illuminated, and moved on to a Cherry Blue Mechanical KB at one point. His scores still improved from then on, despite the different form of KBs. He has a certain playstyle; He would hit keys and let go very quickly, like staccato notes on a piano. This gave him very responsive control over fast patterns and jacks. When he tried using my laptop keyboard, he started getting random misses as my laptop KB wasn't responsive enough for his fast hits. In comparison, I tend to hold down keys slightly before letting go (due to O2Jam habits), which makes my current laptop KB just right for me

tl;dr: Everyone has their own playstyle and keyboard type suitable for it. A mechanical keyboard didn't work for me, but it worked for a few others that I know. Ultimately, we all still improved notably over time using our current setups. Best to experiment, or borrow one from a friend before splurging on a KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
people age at a rate of about 1 year per year

Last edited by LongGone; 02-8-2012 at 12:49 PM..
LongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
Gravity Kitten
FFR Player

Quote:
I'm sure not all of us like mechanical or specific types.
--
Quote:
I still say you're an idiot for not using a mechanical kb.
Gravity Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2012, 01:07 PM   #14
Anaru
Banned
FFR Veteran

flat key nation
Old 02-8-2012, 02:42 PM   #15
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaru View Post
i lol'd really hard @ scarletsky for calling me an idiot for not using a mechanical keyboard after asking for recommendations

scarletsky, i'm a billion times better than you at FFR/SM, etc and i use my non-mechanical keyboard.

oh did i mention a lot of other players who are 1000x better than you also use the logitech illuminated kb?

kid get your head out of your ass, and if you ask for advice, learn to appreciate advice

lol dude asks for advice and then calls me an idiot. what a retard.
I wasn't intending to be an asshat. Although, I did voice my opinion of mech>standard KBs a little harsher than I should have. But now I remember why I stopped being a part of this community. It's because of dickheads like you who take everything so seriously on the internet. Besides, this thread was intended to be more of a discussion than an advice thread. I'll figure out what I like on my own, I don't need some second-rate player's advice who doesn't even use the same type as I do (mech/rubber).

FYI, I haven't touched SM in years and stopped playing FFR months ago so to say you're better than I am now is idiotic. I won't deny you're better than I ever was, but you're not top dog either so get over yourself. Although I'd LOVE to see you pull of my scores on taikosu!, in case you're ever interested.

Last edited by ScarletSky; 02-8-2012 at 02:45 PM..
Old 02-8-2012, 02:54 PM   #16
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

lmfao dude he is top dog, next to like, dossar and maybe 4 other people...
Old 02-8-2012, 03:00 PM   #17
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_ator View Post
lmfao dude he is top dog, next to like, dossar and maybe 4 other people...
Until he's better than Dossar and auto-bot, he's not top dog. And besides, it's a flash game.
Because you know, getting #1 in a flash game really effects your success in real life.

Old 02-8-2012, 03:13 PM   #18
Sky Kitten
Crazy Cat Lady
Community Manager, User Support
Community ManagerGlobal ModeratorFFR Veteran

Quote:

Uhh...?

Don't call someone an idiot just because they're not using a mechanical keyboard. They have their preference of keyboard, you have your own. People are going to have different experiences using either one. >__>

On topic, I use my laptop keyboard... flat, but comfortable.

FMO AAAs (22): Heavenly Spores, .357 Magnum, Pure Ruby, VS Boss Battle, Black, You Goddamn Fish, Faint Breath, Epilogue, Crimson Flood, Zombie Killing Blood Spilling, Saffron City (offline), Fast Asleep, R2, Her Majesty, Defection, Happy Meal, Bit Blue, Stupor of Peace, Tightwad, Progressive jikuu shoujo! Urashima Taroko-chan!, Annihilator Method, Skyfire Ace
Sky Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2012, 03:16 PM   #19
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Until he's better than Dossar and auto-bot, he's not top dog. And besides, it's a flash game.
Because you know, getting #1 in a flash game really effects your success in real life.
There can be more than one "top dogs" you know... and maybe it doesn't matter to you, but it is certainly a sense of achievement for others.

To be on topic, I used a very flat wireless keyboard... until my parents threw it away. So I'm stuck on my laptop which isn't too bad, but definitely not the keyboard that shows my highest potential.
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2012, 03:18 PM   #20
00Razor00
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to 00Razor00 Send a message via Skype™ to 00Razor00

lol this thread........

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
hey buddy are you looking for a good song to step because if so i really recommend you step In Front Of A Bus
00Razor00 is offline   Reply With Quote