Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-1-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar
Default Kommisar's Fast Food Critique Thread

No this isn't an April fool's joke.

What distinguishes one fast food joint from another? Is it the portions, the taste, the speed of service, convenience, or anything else? I don't think these places should be exempted from a legitimate food critique just because they're "fast food". Some places put some legitimate regulations on quality, though for larger chains this obviously varies. Here I'm going to write down my thoughts on various restaurant chains (going to limit this thread to restaurants with a significant amount of franchises) as well as my first impressions. First impressions are everything and unfortunately for the 16 year old cashier who didn't give a shit about his job, it's probably going to strongly affect the outcome of my experience. Feel free to post your own reviews here for others to see. There are many many franchises that don't exist in Canada that I'd like to hear about before heading down to 'merica again.

Reviews

Burger King

As far as burgers go, they've done their fair share of experimentation. The first time the angry whopper came out, it was one of few fast food burgers that you could get with onion rings as a topping, which proved to be a hit. The patties themselves are mediocre at best, as they try to make up for the cheap meat they use (like most places) with original ways to garnish their burgers. Their poutine is unfortunately very lacking. Their fries are some of the worst I've had at any restaurant and the cheese curds are more plastic tasting than cheese. I know it isn't their specialty, but if you're going to advertise it at least make it a decent product. The one thing I would come back here for is their milkshakes. Fantastic stuff. Just the right amount of "frozen dessert" flavor with that consistency that's always too thick for a straw.

4/10

McDonalds

I'm taking on the big guys now. Most people would discredit this place immediately because of their usual menu. Over the past years, they've done quite a bit to revamp their image and add some more "refined" items to their menu. As far as their usual menu goes (big mac, typical burgers, mc chicken, etc.) it's usually mediocre at best. They do however have the right recipe for an addictive flavor that people are very comfortable with. Their prices are probably what makes people to back so often, in combination with their simple product. The one thing I'd like to talk about is their new burgers and McCafé menu. Their new angus burger caught me by surprise as it was a very decent cut of beef with a very nice flavor. The toppings were otherwise just the same but the beef itself more than made up for it. Some of their other specialty sandwiches are quite decent as well. One thing people have started to talk about here lately is the quality of their coffee. People wouldn't usually think of getting coffee at McDonalds, but I'll say this from experience: it's not that bad. Compared to the 42 Tim Hortons franchises in Moncton, this coffee is a nice alternative and actually has flavor. McDonalds' new menu and café style renovations have been a success in my eyes and I certainly wouldn't mind trying a few more things on their menu.

6/10

Harvey's

Harvey's is part of a big chain of restaurants which includes Swiss Chalet, Milestones, and a few other places. As soon as you walk in you can see their serious about the freshness of their burgers. All made to order, they're doing it right. Being heavily involved in the food industry, I know that their burgers are unfortunately full of fillers and aren't 100% quality as far as "100% pure beef" is concerned. Their handling of the beef however is more than enough to make up for this as they're all flame grilled in front of you and they fully take advantage of the potential flavor. Sort of like subway, once the burger is done they bring it in front of you and ask which toppings you'd like, which is fantastic. They don't have a huge variety of burgers (usually alternates between chicken, angus, or adding bacon and cheese) but I'd be safe in saying they've more or less perfected their product. The poutine here is decent, their fries/frings/onion rings being decent as well. The beef gravy on the poutine has a decent beef flavor, yet is obviously packaged powder like 99% of places. Overall this place delivers a great taste experience and I would highly recommend it.

8/10

Dairy Queen

So I'm hearing mixed opinions on this place. I guess there was a time where their "hot eats" were pretty decent and were nice juicy burgers. This is no longer the case for when I went as their burgers were dry pressed sad little patties with barely any juice or meat left. I tried their grilled fajita burger expecting some nice spices to punch me in the mouth. Again I was disappointed. The meat itself didn't offer anything palatable and the grilled fajita spices/vegetables barely had any flavor. The best thing I've had on their menu was their chicken strips, and it was -decent- to say the least. On the other hand, their frozen desserts menu is great. Historically speaking, this place obviously has much more emphasis on their ice cream desserts rather than their burgers and fries (the fries are abominable never eat those omg). When I'm in the mood for a peanut buster parfait, I have no regrets adding those calories on. They have a nice variation of sundaes and parfaits which mostly involve strawberry, hot fudge, or caramel. The melted syrup decadently oozes from your spoon as you pick it up to shove that delicious cholesterol down your throat <3. The cons of their ice cream menu are the blizzards. Not because the blizzards aren't good; some are very tasty and offer a grand variety of flavors (brownie batter <333). The problem is the pricing. Blizzards used to be a decent price, roughly 4$ for a large. Now I'm paying 4,50$ for a SMALL blizzard, and they even have the balls to serve a tiny mini size that has maybe 8 ounces of ice cream for like 3$. I was very disappointed at the move. Really, you can get the same amount of ice cream without the toppings for 2 bucks cheaper. Are the toppings in blizzards THAT expensive?

Hot eats: 3/10
Cool treats: 7/10

Taco Bell

We're lucky enough on the east coast to have a few Taco Bells. The one here is connected to KFC, since they're owned by the same company along with Pizza Hut. Service-wise at this location it's absolutely abominable. 30 minute wait for a meal during lunch time is a little ridiculous, but I guess that varies from one location to another. Taco Bell is notorious for giving people the hugest shits you'll ever have and being frequent donors of food poisoning. The taco "meat" if you want to call it that is basically a protein paste of some sort. That's really the only complaints I have about Taco Bell, since the amount of food you can get for your buck is awesome. The tacos/burritos have a simple safe taste that satisfies and come in a nice large box that won't leave you hungry.

7/10

Arby's

As a kid, I loved eating here. It was the best place in town to get curly fries and cheddar baked potatoes. Before Wendy's was advertising them, Arby's was already selling some great garnished baked potatoes ranging from cheddar and broccoli to straight up sour cream and butter. They are of course famous for their roast beef sandwiches. Beef and cheddar curly fries jingle still resonates in some people's heads and with reason; it's fantastic. I must admit though that without the Arby's sauce, the roast beef sandwiches would be really dry. Their deals are fairly priced, but unfortunately offer very little variety for their sandwiches. 5$ for 4 junior roast beef sandwiches is good enough for me though.

7/10

A&W

I'm just gonna throw it out there, I find the 50's diner look is awesome. These guys have, hands down, the best onion rings any fast food joint has to offer. Their own recipe for root beer is also a great novelty. Their root beer floats are delicious and they have some fairly decent fries. On to the burgers, there are some pros and cons. The cons are that the burgers are very thin and disappointing, but are however very juicy to make up for it. The burgers also don't have that same fresh taste some other places have, and feel like they were kept warm under a heat lamp or something. The flavor certainly doesn't disappoint though. I often find myself having a grandpa burger to feel that awesome grease just ooze down my arm after I take a bite:

Their soda is kept cold in the machine, rather than have the syrup drowned by the melted ice after getting a drink with too much of it. They also keep their burgers in a small foil pouch to keep them warm, which is great. If you want one of their tastier burgers, the uncle burger is a great patty to try out.

7/10

New York Fries

I'm not sure how many places have this restaurant (probably just here but whatever). I've worked here myself so I can probably talk a lot about the preparation of things. I'll start with the cons. The gravy is of course powdered stuff, their chili is dehydrated vegetables with powdered sauce, and the cheese sauce is disgusting. Having taken that out of the way, the rest of their ingredients are quite fresh. Their fame comes from the fries themselves. If you're getting your potatoes from Alberta or Prince Edward Island, you're in for a treat. The sunflower oil taste you get from the fries is fantastic. The fries themselves are always crispy, have a lovely coating and have a very satisfying fluffy inside to top it all off. They leave the peels on to retain some of the nutritional value, but mostly for good taste. The presentation is great, especially with the works fries which is topped with chili, cheese sauce, sour cream and chives. They have one of the best poutines in town, and coming from me, that means a lot. They've recently introduced two other types of poutines: Butter chicken poutine and braised beef poutine. The butter chicken poutine has a nice light butter chicken flavor and compliments the cheese curds quite nicely, but isn't the explosion of curry flavor I'm looking for. The braised beef poutine on the other hand has a very nice flavor and is more or less beef stew with cheese curds. The original poutine is what you're looking for though, as this place offers some of the best fries in town.

8/10

KFC

First off, KFC in Canada is highly superior to the ones in America simply because of our food regulations which basically force a certain sort of quality for their chicken. Other than that, I think the following points come pretty standard. Other than their "secret" herbs and spices, that's all there really is to that chicken. It's deep fried in the worst oil conceivable and tastes like plastic. The flavor is there, but the texture certainly isn't. The popcorn chicken is dry as all hell and you'll usually end up getting more crunchy batter than actual chicken. Their sandwiches are decent. The season chicken breasts in the sandwiches are pretty good and have a nice spicy zing to it. Whenever it comes around, I like to try the double down just to say I did. After 4 bites it really feels like you're shoving a whole chicken down your throat. The sauce they use for the double down is great and I often find myself asking for that same sauce on their regular chicken sandwiches. The chicken is freshly breaded daily and at least retains that fresh value. This place is a hit or miss for many. As far as I'm concerned, I'd really only go there for one of their sandwiches.

5/10

Wendy's

When I want a greasy satisfaction, this is usually my restaurant of choice. I'm gonna start things off with their burgers. The never frozen fresh beef is a plus, and their original square patties are always nice and juicy when I visit. When I'm eating a burger, I want the grease to drip on my tray, which the baconator does very nicely. They have above par fries, which was complimented by their new promotion of sea salt (which you need much less of to get the same intensity). It's a shame they don't serve poutine here, because it would make a really nice addition to their menu. I'm not a huge fan of their chili or baked potatoes, but their frosty deserts are tasty even though it's not real ice cream. I'd consider their burgers to be almost as good as Harveys, mainly based on freshness and preparation.

7/10

Last edited by kommisar; 04-2-2012 at 06:18 PM..
kommisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
samurai7694
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Kommisar's Fast Foot Critique Thread

just realized title said "fast foot"

also, yes I want more reviews
Old 04-1-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
ichliebekase
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Wendy's, Chik Fil A, Checkers, Dairy Queen (not really fast food but it's the best place to get ice cream in the drive thru, you can still get hot dogs or stuff like that though), Taco Bell, KFC (lulz, don't go here, just naming it), Popeyes (it's a chicken place just like KFC but quality is better and the breading is kind of spicy).

Not sure which ones you've heard or known about so I figured I'd name a bunch, I can help review whichever ones you don't know of.
Garden Party - Dance, level 38
ichliebekase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

In 'n Out
Carl's Jr. (Hardee's in some places)
Del Taco
El Pollo Loco
A&W

Would be some other good ones to review.

I agree with these reviews, BK is seriously among the worst fast food places out there right now. Every time I have it I completely regret it every time.

McDonald's really has stepped it up lately and is offering some decent quality stuff for decent prices. The angus mushroom swiss burger is really good. Not to mention McDonald's has pretty much always had the best french fries out there.

It's been a while since I had Harvey's, but I remember really liking the freshness as well.

None of the places here serve poudin though, can't comment on that.
darkshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
adlp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

arby's
Old 04-1-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
hi19hi19
lol happy

Interesting thread, I've always preferred McDonalds to Burger King and its nice to see a ~qualified expert~ agrees
(Even though I only eat fast food like half a dozen times per year)

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
ichliebekase
FFR Simfile Author

McDonald's has highly stepped it up in recent years. White meat in the chicken nuggets, fries are healthier, kids meals are healthier, etc. Also, I haven't had non-fresh McD's in a long time. Either McD's is extremely good with freshness and keeping up quality 24/7, or I'm just lucky with the one by me being so good.
Burger King is NEVER fresh whenever I get it, even when I order during the lunch rush when they're always making food. It's repulsive, and they almost never get my order right.
Garden Party - Dance, level 38
ichliebekase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
kommisar
Dark Chancellor

haha I put foot as a bad itg pun i'm sorry

McDonalds fries varies from one place to another. If you live on the east coast of Canada, you'll have some of the best fries in North America because the russet potatoes (which make the best coating on fries) come from P.E.I.

Their nuggets are the exact same thing hotdogs are except with chicken. It's whatever part of the chicken they couldn't use for utility and they blend it all up with fillers and sodium to make your delicious little nuggets

I agree with DS on the mushroom swiss burger. Just had one for lunch; it was pretty baller.

Adding a few right now.
Old 04-1-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
.Gazelle.
Mr. Skeltal
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

The McDonalds fries here don't hold a candle to BK's, they are absolutely awful, taste like soggy cardboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeKrispyKreme View Post
Rap music is music. However, It's not in the traditional sense of how we understand music. The vocals are filled with slangs that gangs used since the 70s and a lot of the instrumentations are replaced with "Street Sounds" instead of traditional instruments. Music is defined as any combination of sounds that is pleasing to the ear, so while one person may find it as "noise" another person can find it pleasing to the ear and so call "vibe" with it as how I think the kids would say it these days.
.Gazelle. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
kommisar
Dark Chancellor

Chik Fil A, Checkers, In 'n Out, Carl's Jr., Del Taco, El Pollo Loco, White Castle, Sonic's are all chains that don't have Canadian locations, if anyone would like to do those ones.
Old 04-1-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

del taco is a shitty alternative to tac bell
in n out is king of the west coast fast food burger joints
carls jr comes in second
el pollo loco use to be good but they changed their shit up so its not as good though its still infinitely better than kfc
Old 04-1-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
AlexDest
good hot
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

i second the motion for a&w

i haven't been to that place in such a long time but iirc i needed a second pair of pants when i took the first bite out of one of their burgers

ps what about steak and shake
Old 04-1-2012, 12:37 PM   #13
t-rogdor
tane orb
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to t-rogdor

My only beef with Chik Fil A is that literally ****ing everything they serve is fried, and what isn't has some weird-ass faux chicken texture to it. The menu's not that diverse either; you can get a fried chicken sandwich, a spicy fried chicken sandwich, a fried chicken sandwich with toppings and shit, fried chicken nuggets, fried chicken strips, salad with fried chicken, a grilled chicken wrap, a grilled chicken sandwich with the weirdest texture of chicken ever, or a chicken salad sandwich (this sandwich ****ing blows 1/10 don't get it).
Their chicken nuggets and the sandwich aren't BAD mind you, i mean shit like. it tastes really REALLY ****ing great when you're in the right mood and all, but the lack of choice on the menu coupled with dear god does everything have to be fried is just annoying as hell. Their fries are waffle fries, usually okay in texture, potato quality is decent, heavily under-seasoned though (i guess that's to make up for the fact that you're shoving so much fried shit in your mouth).
Their desserts vary in quality. The brownie is literally the most cake-y thing on this planet and feels like you're eating mother****ing chocolate play-doh when you eat it. taste is good, texture is not. their milkshakes are okay, depending on what you get. they'll get weird flavors ever now and then like banana pudding or something and that's okay, but really the Mint Shake is the only way to go. Tastes vaguely like real ice cream, but not enough imo.

Menu Choice- 2/5
Taste (Meal)- 4/5
Taste (Dessert)- 3/5
TOTAL- 9/15

lol Krystal is way better pce

dibs on Sonic
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.
t-rogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2012, 12:42 PM   #14
Reshiram
The Vast White Note
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reshiram Send a message via Yahoo to Reshiram Send a message via Skype™ to Reshiram

EPL

God, I remember this place. It was absolutely THE BEST fast food chicken joint we had, and our family made a habit of going here because not only did we get a lot of food for a good price, but it was one of the few times our family got quality time together.

Memories aside, the flame-grilled approach works much, MUCH better than the fried approach of KFC. And you get all sorts of freshly cooked sides, and can even watch them put your food on the grill. That's a treat. Food tastes great, it's a nice price, and you can bring your folks here without any guilt of fattening them up.

The one bad thing, there aren't NEARLY enough of them around the U.S. My mom and I shat bricks when we learned one opened up here in GA, but within a year it was gone again. Why? Because we're in fried chicken country. Dense MOTHER****ERS, that's why we can't have nice things here.

8.5/10
Old 04-1-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

five guys burgers and fries

first time i went here the burger was terrible and the cajun fries were even worse. second and third time though the burger was moist and really ****ing good. cajun fries still suck but the five guy fries are ok at best. still not better than in n out though
Old 04-1-2012, 01:03 PM   #16
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I always liked Five Guys for their burgers (their fries suck) and McDonalds for their nuggets and fries (their burgers suck).

In N' Out is also fantastic but I don't get it here on the east coast. Burger King feels like everything's been burnt to a charcoal crisp (I hate BK and feel like shit whenever I eat anything there), and Whataburger/A&W is nothing special IMO.

Carl's Jr is probably one of my favorites if only because it was near my high school growing up, so I place sentimental/nostalgic value on it.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2012, 01:03 PM   #17
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

In 'n Out is pretty much as fresh as you can get in terms of burger joints go. They have a really small menu (along with a secret menu for the frequenters). The fries are amazing, they actually peel and cut the potatoes for the fries for each order, never frozen or anything...can't get any more fresh than that. They have a couple of milkshakes which are just -ok-...they kinda leave your throat dry and wanting an actual drink. The burgers themselves taste like something you'd make at home at a backyard barbeque really.

Carl's Jr is my favorite fast food place. They give you massive portions of food and drink for the money, especially their Six Dollar Burgers. Their fries unfortunately (at the location nearest me anyway) suck. They end up soggy and saltless, though they do offer what they call Criss-Cut fries (similar to Jack-in-the-Box's curly fries, different shape) which are pretty good. Favorite burger by far is their Double Western cheeseburger. Two beef patties, cheese, onion rings, lots of bacon, and barbeque sauce.

Haven't had enough Del Taco, El Pollo Loco, or A&W to really give a good critique on those. I know Del Taco is probably the worst restaurant around here though. Terrible food experiences there.
darkshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2012, 01:04 PM   #18
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Ninja'd DS on CJ

IDK if they do this elsewhere but I always got the Big Burger there, which typically wasn't on the menu

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
Their fries unfortunately (at the location nearest me anyway) suck. They end up soggy and saltless, though they do offer what they call Criss-Cut fries (similar to Jack-in-the-Box's curly fries, different shape) which are pretty good.
I can attest to this though. Their fries are flavorless, floppy, flaccid little potatococks for all I know. I still think McDonalds wins out on the fries comparison.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 04-1-2012 at 01:07 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2012, 01:06 PM   #19
who_cares973
FFR Player

ive never had good criss cut fries at carls jr. they always give them to me completely soaked in grease and i usually take a bite or two and either throw them out or give them to whoever is eating with me. i cant say i really have a favourite burger from their because i usually find their promo burgers to be insanely good
Old 04-1-2012, 01:07 PM   #20
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quickly checked to make sure Harvey's received a higher rating than McD's, Burger King, and DQ. Once credibility was established, continued reading

Good stuff here, shame to hear their burgers aren't 100% beef, but god damn it they're still ****ing brilliant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote