Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat > Ask Me Anything
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Ask Me Anything A forum where notable users offer to answer questions from the userbase.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
EtienneSM
FFR Player
D8 Godly Keysmasher

Send a message via Skype™ to EtienneSM
Default EtienneSM AMA

To celebrate my 1000th post on this account, I decided to do an AMA. I tried doing one last time, but I think I forgot about it and didn't even end up answering all of the questions, so I may as well do another one.

Ask away! (obviously don't ask anything too stupid)

Edit: lmao, it didn't count as my 1000th for some reason rip

Edit2: rip AMA, I had a feeling you weren't going anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KgZ View Post
enjoy having every guy ask if they can get some love on their weiner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I also like the nps scale. The standard ITG scale for harder files is blown out of proportion and no longer makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
nps is still a better idea for ratings
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimtkiller View Post
there is 1 tip for people going to college. When you're in college, you'll be 16, which is the age where (where i live) you can get laid lawfully. basically, get laid asap when they look the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapta View Post
My logic is that the brain processes in 60 FPS so I play 60 FPS.

Last edited by EtienneSM; 06-23-2014 at 12:17 PM..
EtienneSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
Zapmeister
FFR Player

Default Re: EtienneSM AMA

You're playing poker with a tiger, a rhino, and a goat. You're holding 10d 8d and the flop is 9d 2s 4h. The tiger looks really really tired and reaches a paw over its chips as if to make a small bet, but only checks. The rhino looks pretty confident and aggressive but is surprised at the tiger's action, but only checks as well. The goat, with some confidence, and without looking away from its cards, bets twice the minimum. Do you fold, call, raise, or run screaming?

How would you rank these 5 things in order of your personal preference, most preferred first? 1. The idea of painting every wall in your house a different colour. 2. Bitcoins. 3. First-day snowboarders who slide down difficult ski slopes on their butt all the way, ruining all the snow. 4. The idea of installing a land-line phone in your university dorm room. 5. Dance Dance Revolution.

When my printer spends fifty years making obnoxious noises between the time I ask it to print something and the time it actually prints it, what exactly is it doing?

Approximately what do you think is the monetary value of a single ffr credit?

(P.S. I asked 3 of these on your other thread without reply. Also post count doesn't accumulate on the ask me anything forum. Id it did, I'd have like a million posts.)

Theorem: If you have a large enough number of monkeys, and a large enough number of computer keyboards, one of them will sight-read AAA death piano on stealth. And the ffr community will forever worship it. Proof Example

ask me anything here

mashed FCs: 329

r1: 5
r2: 4
r3: 6
r4: 8
r5: 3
r6: 5
r7: 15
final position: 4th
Zapmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:16 AM   #3
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

1. How often do you play SM:
A. Days per week? (e.g. "I play 4 days a week" not specifying time per session)
B. Minutes per session (e.g. "I play for about 30 minutes on the days I play")

2. What does your typical song selection choice on a session of SM look like?

3. How often do you play songs of the following types:
A. Songs you can just barely pass C to high B
B. Songs you can get an A or AA on
C. Songs you high AA/FC to AAA or beyond

4. Did you play any sports in high school?

5. Do you do any manual labor, or have you ever? If you have jobs, what is the work like there?

6. Have you ever lifted weights, or done any activity that requires use of your arms?

7. What is your diet like?

8. What do you typically eat for dinner, or what is your biggest meal of the day like?

9. How long have you been playing SM?

10. Do you play any instruments? If so, what instruments and for how long?

11. Do you play songs until your forearms hurt?

12. If you notice a "burn" in your forearms while playing, what is your response / what do you do? Do you keep playing? For how long if so?
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
EtienneSM
FFR Player
D8 Godly Keysmasher

Send a message via Skype™ to EtienneSM

1. You're playing poker with a tiger, a rhino, and a goat. You're holding 10d 8d and the flop is 9d 2s 4h. The tiger looks really really tired and reaches a paw over its chips as if to make a small bet, but only checks. The rhino looks pretty confident and aggressive but is surprised at the tiger's action, but only checks as well. The goat, with some confidence, and without looking away from its cards, bets twice the minimum. Do you fold, call, raise, or run screaming?

The flop doesn't look too intriguing to begin with so I might have to sit that one out. Besides, I probably wasn't feeling it that day.

2. How would you rank these 5 things in order of your personal preference, most preferred first? 1. The idea of painting every wall in your house a different colour. 2. Bitcoins. 3. First-day snowboarders who slide down difficult ski slopes on their butt all the way, ruining all the snow. 4. The idea of installing a land-line phone in your university dorm room. 5. Dance Dance Revolution.

1. DDR
2. First-day snowboarders
3. Bitcoins
4. Installing a land-line phone in dorm room
5. Idea of painting every wall in my house a different color.

3. When my printer spends fifty years making obnoxious noises between the time I ask it to print something and the time it actually prints it, what exactly is it doing?

If you kept a printer for fifty years, I'd be damned if that thing wasn't on the verge of exploding or something at that point when you were printing something.

Approximately what do you think is the monetary value of a single ffr credit?

It would probably be such a miniscule amount that it wouldn't be worth finding out if an ffr credit could have a monetary value. Probably go with something like 500 credits= $0.01 or something similar to that.

And yeah, sadly I completely forgot the AMA thread even existed and I never got around to finishing it. oops.

Arch0wls' questions.

1. How often do you play SM:
A. Days per week? (e.g. "I play 4 days a week" not specifying time per session)
B. Minutes per session (e.g. "I play for about 30 minutes on the days I play")

I play SM usually around 3-5 days a week now. Maybe 6 if I have no plans at all.

I usually play for about 45-2 1/12 hours max. Anything past 2 1/2 hours, my fingers just get gradually slower and slower until I realize I'm done for the day.

2. What does your typical song selection choice on a session of SM look like?

Spread:

Depends on my mood. If it's speed/stamina stuff, I'll usually play Kaiten/rate mod NBJS packs. If it's MA related stuff, I'll play almost anything really. It varies a lot for MA.

Index:

Speed/stamina sessions usually consist of lots of rate modded songs. Packs like Oh Henry! Mad Stamina, Tachyon Epsilon, Pendulum, etc. MA sessions include trying to quad 17's and up for the most part. And sometimes I'll play some technical charts to chance it up a bit. Can't play streams forever, haha.

3. How often do you play songs of the following types:
A. Songs you can just barely pass C to high B
B. Songs you can get an A or AA on
C. Songs you high AA/FC to AAA or beyond

Spread:

A. Very rarely. Usually if I even pass a file, it's usually around a low A anyways. But there have a been a few instances where I've gotten B's. The only C I remember getting on a spread file was disney songs played at the same time. I never went back to that file again lol

B. This is basically all of my speed/stamina sessions. Grinding for AA goals that I try to go for. Or I'll just rate mod songs that I like and see what I can get on them.

C. I kind of gave up on quadding on spread because I was always getting stuff that was above 2p, no matter what file it was. So I usually try to get either really good MA/PA on hard stuff, or I'll play really long jumpstream files and try to MA them.

4. Did you play any sports in high school?

I'm currently doing my summer runs before Cross Country. I did track and Winter track so basically running is my main sport in high school for me. I used to do Baseball, Basketball, and even Soccer but I decided to focus primarily on running more than any other sport.

5. Do you do any manual labor, or have you ever? If you have jobs, what is the work like there?

Yes, but not often at all. I'm a relatively lazy person at times. And I plan on getting a job next year so I currently don't have a job.

6. Have you ever lifted weights, or done any activity that requires use of your arms?

I have before but I feel like it's something I don't need that much. My coach told me to just do push-ups every night for Cross. He said lifting isn't the best choice for Cross country.

7. What is your diet like?

I eat lots of meat for the most part, and obviously pizza. I'm a picky eater (which sometimes I kind of wish I wasn't) so I don't have that much of a variety. I drink lots of water as well.

8. What do you typically eat for dinner, or what is your biggest meal of the day like?

Chicken and Seasoned or homemade fries, some form of pizza, mac n' cheese, turkey burgers, and more. Not sure what my biggest meal of the day is like to be honest. Can't really answer that one, sorry.

9. How long have you been playing SM?

7 years on and off. Started actually getting into it at about 2010 when I finally realized how to put songs that weren't smzip's onto stepmania. That's when the skillboosting started happening.

10. Do you play any instruments? If so, what instruments and for how long?

I played drums for about 3 years but I haven't had a drumset in about a year so I haven't been able to play lately. My memory is still pretty fresh about drums so I can definitely ease back into it if I started playing again.

11. Do you play songs until your forearms hurt?

Only for stamina songs on index and maybe sometimes on spread for stamina songs as well.

12. If you notice a "burn" in your forearms while playing, what is your response / what do you do? Do you keep playing? For how long if so?

I keep playing if I'm confident enough I can pass it. Sometimes I will fail the song, sometimes I will pass it. Usually, I'll tap lighter to try and conserve but it's pretty hard to do so on index. Same goes for spread.

Thanks for the questions, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KgZ View Post
enjoy having every guy ask if they can get some love on their weiner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I also like the nps scale. The standard ITG scale for harder files is blown out of proportion and no longer makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
nps is still a better idea for ratings
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimtkiller View Post
there is 1 tip for people going to college. When you're in college, you'll be 16, which is the age where (where i live) you can get laid lawfully. basically, get laid asap when they look the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapta View Post
My logic is that the brain processes in 60 FPS so I play 60 FPS.

Last edited by EtienneSM; 06-23-2014 at 12:53 PM..
EtienneSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #5
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

your questions confirmed a lot of things I was thinking about -- namely if your diet indirectly mirrors resistance training practices that would give you better muscle strength necessary for faster speed and helpful to better endurance

(we often don't think of SM as using our muscles, but it is, albeit incredibly isolated ones)
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote