Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach
Default Re: The Fitness Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senip View Post
photoshop.

Hey Reach, John Meadows says he didnt do any cardio to get that shredded. Hooooly!
doesn't look it.

http://i.imgur.com/zFgSnjd.jpg
Old 07-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #1782
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
It was even on Dr. Oz recently.
Fuck this guy, seriously.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #1783
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
Fuck this guy, seriously.
Yeah.

It pisses me off because he's highly educated and should know better. But he frequently ignores all scientific evidence and instead promotes quackery by bringing idiots and crackpots onto his show.

He had some moron on the show do an amalgam filling demo to prove the levels of mercury in fillings were toxic or something, despite the plethora of readily available, peer reviewed scientific studies on the matter demonstrating otherwise.

(if you're wondering at all, it would take upwards of 120 amalgam filled surfaces, which would be equivalent to every tooth in your mouth being comprised entirely of amalgam, to get the same mercury exposure in an entire week as eating a tuna fish sandwich).
Old 07-31-2013, 11:26 AM   #1784
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Yeah, that's exactly what bothers me. It's one thing to be ignorant and say stupid shit because you just weren't aware of the truth (which is something we're all guilty of -- I know I've done it countless times), but it's quite another to be highly educated/informed/skilled and then abuse that power when you know better.

You look at his background and it's just amazing... and yet here he is pushing forth snake oil, voodoo energy nonsense, pseudoscience, etc, while giving a platform to complete cranks. I mean, John Edward? Seriously?

Really disappointing stuff.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #1785
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Yeah, that's exactly what bothers me. It's one thing to be ignorant and say stupid shit because you just weren't aware of the truth (which is something we're all guilty of -- I know I've done it countless times), but it's quite another to be highly educated/informed/skilled and then abuse that power when you know better.

You look at his background and it's just amazing... and yet here he is pushing forth snake oil, voodoo energy nonsense, pseudoscience, etc, while giving a platform to complete cranks. I mean, John Edward? Seriously?

Really disappointing stuff.
Holy shit he's doing psychics on his shows now?

How low can this guy go.

I wonder how much better off america would be if someone with the power of Dr. Oz actually spent time on television educating people properly on these matters and talking about topics with real legitimacy. Not that psychics isn't a legitimate topic, but let's get real here; it's pretty well established to be bullshit. I enjoy this segment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ4uBqdLaXI

Let me guess, people wouldn't watch it, ratings would fall and it would disappear, leaving us with more of this crap? D:

I guess that's what happens when the population as a whole is uneducated and gullible. They eat this shit up. I know so many people that absolutely adore Dr. Oz and tell me all the time about these random remedies they learned about on his show >_> The moment I start talking about reality they shut down and ignore me entirely.

Last edited by Reach; 07-31-2013 at 11:51 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #1786
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Holy shit he's doing psychics on his shows now?

How low can this guy go.

I wonder how much better off america would be if someone with the power of Dr. Oz actually spent time on television educating people properly on these matters and talking about topics with real legitimacy. Not that psychics isn't a legitimate topic, but let's get real here; it's pretty well established to be bullshit. I enjoy this segment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ4uBqdLaXI

Let me guess, people wouldn't watch it, ratings would fall and it would disappear, leaving us with more of this crap? D:

I guess that's what happens when the population as a whole is uneducated and gullible. They eat this shit up. I know so many people that absolutely adore Dr. Oz and tell me all the time about these random remedies they learned about on his show >_> The moment I start talking about reality they shut down and ignore me entirely.
It's a bitch and a half to get YT working through this proxy so I can't see it, but if it's the Derren Brown / Dawkins discussion, then yeah that one is pretty good.

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance then baffle them with bullshit" I suppose.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #1787
LLaMaSaUceYup
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LLaMaSaUceYup Send a message via MSN to LLaMaSaUceYup Send a message via Yahoo to LLaMaSaUceYup

Quote:
I guess that's what happens when the population as a whole is uneducated and gullible.
Quote:
The moment I start talking about reality they shut down and ignore me entirely.
Agreed, glad I stopped watching television.
LLaMaSaUceYup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #1788
Banned
FFR Veteran

i was okay with T.V. for a while because back when G4 was awesome and i watched cartoon network it wasn't so bad, aside from the commercials. but now i only watch CN at others houses and G4 isn't so awesome anymore. also the commercials are so bad it pisses me off just looking at em.

p.s. i can't stand reality omfg
top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #1789
LLaMaSaUceYup
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LLaMaSaUceYup Send a message via MSN to LLaMaSaUceYup Send a message via Yahoo to LLaMaSaUceYup

Yeah I am scared for the next generation, hah. Definitely not jealous. ~_~
Old 07-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #1790
Calcium Deposit
I am the liquor
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Yeah.

It pisses me off because he's highly educated and should know better. But he frequently ignores all scientific evidence and instead promotes quackery by bringing idiots and crackpots onto his show.

He had some moron on the show do an amalgam filling demo to prove the levels of mercury in fillings were toxic or something, despite the plethora of readily available, peer reviewed scientific studies on the matter demonstrating otherwise.

(if you're wondering at all, it would take upwards of 120 amalgam filled surfaces, which would be equivalent to every tooth in your mouth being comprised entirely of amalgam, to get the same mercury exposure in an entire week as eating a tuna fish sandwich).
dont drink applejuice i hear it has arsenic thats rat poision ewy
Calcium Deposit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2013, 08:22 AM   #1791
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

"All of the *scientific* studies done on the subject recognize what levels of fluoride are safe and what aren't and fluoride levels coming from regulated sources have ppms well below toxic levels."

I don't give a shit about fluoride one way or the other, but there are multiple problems when going by such studies in regards to toxicity. Firstly, and by far the most important, is how toxicity levels, for pretty much anything, rely on LD50's and look at obvious, serious issues like cancer that cause the death. If something isn't going to kill you or give you cancer, but would otherwise fuck you up, toxicity studies aren't going to find anything wrong, even though there could still be serious health concerns with much smaller amounts. This is why endocrine disruptors are ubiquitous in our society.
Secondly, the ppm's you might get of fluoride in, say, a glass of water or even 8 glasses of water might not be harmful, but if it's then in your food and your toothpaste or somewhere else (I'm assuming food has to have some), you get a lot more of it than 1 serving's worth. I presume fluoride's been studied enough such that this has been considered. Even then though, using something I can draw on from experience, things like ppm of gluten and overall gluten consumption has also been considered, but if I ate 5ppm gluten food all the time, I would technically be eating quite safely and properly from a doctor's standpoint, yet still be sick.
Thirdly, different levels of the same thing can affect your body differently. Endocrine disruptor example again, BPA. In small quantities that are something 100-1000 times less (I forget how much, but it's a lot) than what will cause cancer, your body treats them differently.
Fourthly, what holds true for the population in general doesn't have to hold true to any 1 individual, ever. Obvious example: any allergy.

True safety studies regarding suspected harmful substances are ideally use amounts similar to what a person will be exposed to as well as upper tolerable limits and what causes death etc, and have some sort of duration taken into consideration.

I presume any doctor who advocates snake oil is taking advantage of the positive side of placebo.

Last edited by Cavernio; 08-1-2013 at 08:33 AM..
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2013, 09:44 AM   #1792
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Cavernio: You can take virtually any ingredient from pretty much anything you eat or drink and crank it up to levels that cause harm in some way. Obviously that doesn't mean you should stop eating or drinking. What matters is that we look at the effects of those components at different levels and see what's considered beneficial/safe/etc or harmful/unsafe/etc.

Fluoride is *already* present in natural water supplies. The question is whether or not the slightly boosted level is harmful. The evidence suggests that it's not harmful even when assessed over a variety of metrics (not just cancer). In fact, it's actually quite helpful, and helps wage war against tooth decay. It's been studied pretty extensively by countless independent groups over the decades.

Some people may have an allergy to fluoride, but it's quite rare, and there's no evidence of any adverse reaction from the levels found in fluoridated water. Some people claim to be affected, but from what I've read, it seems to be most likely hypochondria/placebo effect/reactivity bias in those scenarios.

Tooth decay, on the other hand, is some health-crushing shit you definitely want to avoid. It can be costly and painful to address. So the advantages of fluoridated water far, far outweigh any "risks."

To address your last point: Some people know they're peddling snake oil, and some genuinely believe in their own nonsense. Either way, it's still a problem. Either you've got the blind leading the blind, or people that know better who are deceiving others for personal gain. The placebo effect is powerful, but it's a problem when people are systematically trained to distrust science/evidence and accept hocus pocus as a substitute. Then you have crazy parents who don't want to get their kids vaccinated, or who think it's okay to push religion into the science classroom, and so on. In the end, it's just a lot of fearmongering and ignorance.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 08-1-2013 at 09:48 AM..
Old 08-1-2013, 12:10 PM   #1793
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

I still get people on my facebook that post about vaccines being linked to autism

oddly enough they're also outrageously religious

ps GluTEn
Old 08-1-2013, 02:59 PM   #1794
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Cavernio: You can take virtually any ingredient from pretty much anything you eat or drink and crank it up to levels that cause harm in some way. Obviously that doesn't mean you should stop eating or drinking. What matters is that we look at the effects of those components at different levels and see what's considered beneficial/safe/etc or harmful/unsafe/etc.

Fluoride is *already* present in natural water supplies. The question is whether or not the slightly boosted level is harmful. The evidence suggests that it's not harmful even when assessed over a variety of metrics (not just cancer). In fact, it's actually quite helpful, and helps wage war against tooth decay. It's been studied pretty extensively by countless independent groups over the decades.

Some people may have an allergy to fluoride, but it's quite rare, and there's no evidence of any adverse reaction from the levels found in fluoridated water. Some people claim to be affected, but from what I've read, it seems to be most likely hypochondria/placebo effect/reactivity bias in those scenarios.

Tooth decay, on the other hand, is some health-crushing shit you definitely want to avoid. It can be costly and painful to address. So the advantages of fluoridated water far, far outweigh any "risks."
It's like you don't even read what I write. You totally missed my point. You aren't against anything I said.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2013, 08:57 PM   #1795
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Fluoride exposure across the entire spectrum of exposure levels has been studied extensively.

http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc...ion_PART_A.pdf

Just one review, but more information than you would ever want to know if you care.
Old 08-1-2013, 09:54 PM   #1796
LLaMaSaUceYup
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Not sure what could be worse, vaccines, or mass-populated animals eating gmo's. Guess this would depend on which species I feel more empathic for. ~_~
Old 08-1-2013, 09:58 PM   #1797
Banned
FFR Veteran

even "street" drugs can be beneficial in small doses. people blow shit out of proportion a lot.

no i'm not saying street drugs are a good thing
top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2013, 10:04 PM   #1798
infinity.
sideways 8
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLaMaSaUceYup View Post
Not sure what could be worse, vaccines, or mass-populated animals eating gmo's. Guess this would depend on which species I feel more empathic for. ~_~
empathetic

also there is nothing out-right wrong with gmos as a general category, isolated incidences yes, but please get more informed

also for relevancy i've run 250 miles in the last month, it's weird running in asia because the land is flatter, but it's really poorly made so it can be easy to twist an ankle if you're not careful.. it's also eternally hot so you have to wait until it's late before you can really do physical stuff outside

nerds
infinity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-1-2013, 10:42 PM   #1799
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
we don't need a moron feeling sorry for us, try again (O:
Old 08-1-2013, 11:55 PM   #1800
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Quote: