Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2004, 08:17 PM   #1
xObserveRx
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to xObserveRx Send a message via MSN to xObserveRx
Default The IQ Effect?

Here's the theory behind number 7's answerFrom the thread "You have no life")

I feel that sometimes i'm not trying in life because i know where it will get me. I COULD be doing lots of things right now, but once again, it comes down to what i value in life. These things i could be doing (Electronics, Computer Programming) Could get me a decent job, and some good money, but I wouldn't be happy doing them. Plus, i feel like i'm better than that.

Believe it or not, my IQ is 141. I feel like i should be doing something that shows how high my IQ is, but i think people who have higher IQ's tend to go through more indecision in their lives, this is only my opinion mind you, but anyways, yeah, they like to think that they are above the path of "settling for what life gives them." They end up marrying later, and doing a lot of things later in life, simply because they think that because everyone else is getting something out of life, that maybe they'll get something too.

This may seem like it makes no sense, and that's prolly because it kinda doesn't. Basically what goes through my head sometimes is: (may be offending to some people :\ )

I deserve something that makes me happy.
I deserve to have a better job than some idiot who gets all his shit handed to him.
I deserve a better economical standing than some tool pushing a button in a factory, with an IQ<60.
I deserve to be picked for jobs requiring skill and intellect over someone's "relative" who's IQ is in the single digits.
I deserve more than a lot of people who have a lot more than me.

Okay, that sounds REALLY arrogant, but still, its how i feel sometimes, and i can't help it.

What do you guys think? I know this is kind of insulting to some people, but it's only one person's opinion. What i'm asking you guys is: Do you think that today's workforce is REALLY focused on who's qualified for the job? or are the jobs going to people who are merely capable of doing them?
xObserveRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 08:27 AM   #2
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Specforces

I think in the end IQ is just one part of the equation. Motivation can be a much stronger force than IQ. Ambitious people tend to do more with their lives than a genius that has no will to accomplish anything.

Specforces
Old 05-28-2004, 09:13 AM   #3
Jam930
FFR Player

Default Re: The IQ Effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xObserveRx
I deserve to have a better job than some idiot who gets all his (#$% handed to him.
I deserve a better economical standing than some tool pushing a button in a factory, with an IQ<60.
I deserve to be picked for jobs requiring skill and intellect over someone's "relative" who's IQ is in the single digits.
...please shutup.

You get what you work for, this is Capitalism.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:22 AM   #4
SpookG
(For Great Justice!)
Retired StaffFFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to SpookG
Default Re: The IQ Effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam930
...please shutup.

You get what you work for, this is Capitalism.
ha....

so I met a promoter who brings in world famous DJs into SoCal clubs..

We talked one day at my work when he was browsing for games. now I can get on guest lists and be garunteed a spot whereas most other people have to fight for it..

That's more how capitalism works, Jam.

Royal For Great Justice! Electronic Music est. 1999
kerBLAM

SpookG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 09:28 AM   #5
RobbyZero
FFR Player

Quote:
deserve something that makes me happy.
I deserve to have a better job than some idiot who gets all his (#$% handed to him.
Well when you're that kind of people it just won't happen,hell yeah we deserver it.

It's funny cause I can't learn Mathematics well but let's say I wanted a job with computers I can sure as hell learn that because it's something I want to do,and because I can't learn Math I can't do what I want so I quit school.
RobbyZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 09:29 AM   #6
Jam930
FFR Player

I didn't say it worked perfectly. Ofcourse there are disturbances within Capitalism, but in general, you get what you work for. IE you don't say:

"I'm smart, feed me" like our good friend Observer up there.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:52 PM   #7
xObserveRx
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile Author

Okay, that's true, but it just seems to me that the people with lower IQs seem to be doing more stuff, maybe it's because the people with the higher IQs are sitting around "thinking" of the possibilities, instead of making them happen?
Old 05-28-2004, 05:05 PM   #8
ultima301
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ultima301

Like Spec said IQ AND motivation are both necessary for success, but motivation is perhaps more important IMO. A person with an IQ of 180 but is just too lazy to try hard in life will not get as far as someone with an IQ or 110 but tries to 100% of his or her capabilities. Another skill that is important is social skills. People who are smart but have no training in public speaking and making speaches will not influence people as well as one adept at making speeches and getting people to support you. Like in a job interview, someone who can influence the company through great conversations and self-confidence will get the job over someone who had really good grades throughout high school and college, but very poor speech skills. To be successful (financially) in life you need a good balence of IQ, motivation and social skills.

http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=ultima301 -My Xanga
ultima301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 08:13 PM   #9
Jam930
FFR Player

This is all stupid. It's if you do something with yourself.

Hitler wasn't any genius, but he did what he wanted.

My class president isn't so bright... so what?

I can say that a person with 180 IQ will do more than someone with 45 if they have the same motivation.

What is your point/the point of this thread??
Old 05-28-2004, 08:36 PM   #10
CyanoticXtC
FFR Player
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CyanoticXtC

Quote:
Hitler wasn't any genius
Hitler was one of the best motivational speakers that ever lived.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:48 PM   #11
Anonymous
FFR Player

Heh, yes. I know several genius's that are actually quite stupid when it comes to the real world. Even if you are a genius, you still have to work hard, and drive towards your goals in life. Confidence and motivation and an education can go really far...it just requires some effort.

And a high IQ doesn't really mean a whole lot anyway. Sure, you're obvioiusly intelligent and capable, but it doesn't mean you're any more specail than the rest of us unless you're going to apply your genius to something practical.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 12:57 AM   #12
Jam930
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanoticXtC
Quote:
Hitler wasn't any genius
Hitler was one of the best motivational speakers that ever lived.
And then?

He still wasn't a genius.

His "Mein Kamf" or whatever was written at like a 3rd grade level.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:00 AM   #13
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Omeganitros

No, Cyan has it right. Hitler wasnt an idiot.
Omeganitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 01:58 AM   #14
SpookG
(For Great Justice!)
Retired StaffFFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to SpookG

If you also look at Van Gogh paintings closely enough you start to realize he couldn't draw basic shapes correctly, not that he distorted them on purpose, but that doesn't cut away from any of his brilliance, does it?

Speaking of paintings, Hitler was also a real good landscape painter. A bit romantic in the lushness, but it was really good stuff. If you wanted to be real successful at doing business presentations, etc, Hitler would be a good person to learn from. He was taught by a hypnotist / magician about how to move his hands and body language to really a capture an audience..

I really don't think a high score on an IQ test means you are super genius. I got a 1450 on the SAT without studying and falling asleep during the English portion, but I'm not much smarter than you, if at all. Test scores are just something to brag about, and that's it.

The true measure of genius is achievement.

Royal For Great Justice! Electronic Music est. 1999
kerBLAM

SpookG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 03:10 AM   #15
Ice-Dragon
FFR Player

Quote:
xObserverx wrote:
You deserve nothing. You should get nothing for having a high IQ. If you have a high IQ you should be happy that you are capable of doing greater things than those with a lesser IQ, however in the end you get what you work for.

I also have a high IQ (genius range) but I don't work very hard in school (I'm working on fixing this). I see alot of people who work harder than me to get lower marks than me... but I have more respect for those people than I do for myself in that sense.

I know several people at my school who are quite smart, but don't work hard. They get fairly good marks, but when other people beat them or perhaps they don't do as good as they could have, they try to somehow prove that they are better than you by saying something to the effect of "I didn't study at all and you did... if I studied that much my mark would be much higher than yours."

This is a retarded way of thinking (I've noticed many people who have high IQ's and know it think this way). These people are trying to justify getting bad marks (relative to their potential) by saying I'm a lazy retard who was too busy playing computer games/whatever to study, but if I did choose to work I COULD accomplish great things.
Could? Yes. Will? Not likely.
I say this even though I was once guilty of this way of thinking as well.

IQ raises potential output. Working hard raises output.
If you have a high IQ and aren't motivated to do anything then you deserve the same thing as someone with a low IQ who isn't motivated to do anything. On top of which you also deserve an additional smack upside the head because you have the potential to accomplish what many cannot, but you don't because you can't motivate yourself to do so. You'd be better off giving your IQ points to someone who will actually use them (Hypothetically).

Quote:
Do you think that today's workforce is REALLY focused on who's qualified for the job? or are the jobs going to people who are merely capable of doing them?
Let's say I'm an employer and I'm choosing who would best suit the job position I have to offer. Most importantly, I care who is gonna get the job done and who is going to get it done well. If you don't meet this requirement, I don't care how intelligent you are... you will not; nor do you deserve to; get hired. After I have evaluated this aspect of each applicant, I will then judge who is more likely to go above and beyond what is expected due to intelligence, creativeness, or whatever it may be.

Not sure if that's the type of response you were looking for... the question is strangely worded...

Quote:
SpookG Wrote:
The true measure of genius is achievement
Well put.
Ice-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 01:20 PM   #16
Anonymous
FFR Player

I knew i'd get some people fired up with this thread, and so it happened. I do know that motivation is a key factor in going places in life. I also know that i severly lack it. Now, i'm only saying that i think like that sometimes, not all the time, mainly when i'm frustrated at life.

I do look up to people who are highly motivated and go places in life, not that'd i'd trade places with them or anything, but i do wish that i was more like them, at least motivation-wise. So eventually one day i'll get the motivation i need, and then i'll finally go somewhere, and do something. I'm already 21, i can't wait around forever, and that's what frustrates me.

So i guess that's the point of this thread, assuming that IS a point. :\
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 01:22 PM   #17
xObserveRx
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile Author

As usual, last post was me. Mother Fucking forum, i swear! It always logs me out after a certain time period, and one that's TOO SHORT. That's just gay, no questions asked.