Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2004, 10:49 PM   #1
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter
Default Authority

Why are people so stupid?

Why can't people recognize the importance of authority and the reason for its existence?

To give you an idea of from where I'm coming, I just spent fifteen hours of my saturday refereeing soccer at the local complex for a competitive tournament hosting teams from all over Texas. Just today I was witness to two fights, an arrest, multiple ejections, a game termination, and a halftime abandonment by a team. Many of these things happened as a result of coaches, parents, and players not agreeing with the referees.

What bugs me about these people is that they actively throw tournament rules out the window (of which they are likely to be ignorant) to yell at and verbally abuse referees regarding subjects about which they have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE! It seems they think they have the right to abuse us whenever the hell they feel like it, even though we're completely protected by the law. Do they understand that we are generously providing them with a service, and doing so to the best of our abilities? I just cannot fathom why people would do such stupid things out of sheer ignorance (and that is the reason).

Due to the abandonment I spoke of earlier, one fellow won't ever be allowed to coach again, and he had four teams in this tournament. One sixteen year old girl screamed at her father that he was embarassing her and her family with his conduct. It's one thing to question authority (as referees we welcome people who want to know why we do what we do; it cuts back on some of the ignorance that starts these messes), but it it worth losing your respect to spit in authority's face when you will gain nothing from it? The adage "Do not bite the hand that feeds you" rings true here.

Now, everything I just talked about was regarding soccer, and I just wanted to get that off my chest since I think about this after every game with bad sidelines. However, I feel the whole idea of resisting authority applies on greater levels, too, such as with government on every level. I'm not saying we should always comply with everything, but there is a time and a place to do so, and I just think the time and place rarely come up. For example, I suppose the black civil rights movement and civil disobedience was called for, but repetitive anti-government and anarchist (it's not always to this extreme level, though) bullshit is exactly that: bullshit. People who do that rarely take the time to really consider everything government does for them, and as a result throw their credibility away.

I just want people to think a little more, and keep their mouths shut when necessary.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 12:52 AM   #2
Jam930
FFR Player

People tend to stand up for what they believe in more often then you might think.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:29 AM   #3
IronMonk
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam930
People tend to stand up for what they believe in more often then you might think.

regardless of its merit and importance.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:24 PM   #4
ayanepuck
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ayanepuck

Standing up for something you believe in is one thing. Making a complete fool of yourself is another. Heaven knows I am an opinionated woman, and I have no problem standing up for something I believe in, but I do think some take it too far, which is unfortunate. Thank God for tear gas and stun guns, huh?

\"The Beatles saved the world from boredom.\"
--George Harrison
ayanepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 02:38 PM   #5
Anonymous
FFR Player

My problem isn't with authority it's biased authority. I'm a pretty well natured student at school and then there's the complete opposite of me there as well who smoke, drink, and do various illegal activities.
One of those kids got caught smoking, usually a 2 week suspension. He was back in 2 days, i think it's because the kid never listened or cared about authority and would continue in his ways so they just let him continue to threaten everyone else's safety with his presence. When I act even the slightest bit not a perfect role model, teachers eat me alive.
One teacher in the cafeteria didn't notice how many of the kids at the table next to me were throwing food. He missed: 5 pieces of candy, one pop can, two quarters, three pretzels, one fry, and half of a sub sandwich- all thrown at me while the kids were screaming about how big they were and how much better they were( One of them lives in my subdivision...he couldn't see out of one eye for a week after my punch). I throw one piece of a pretzel back and I got two days of clean-up duty and the whole other table got off with nothing. Unfair? HELL YES!!!!!!! There's also another really stupid school rule- if you are hit by anyone, you are suspended as well as the attacker. Basically, someone you have no clue even exists could come up, hit you, and run, and if they didn't catch him but you went to a teacher, you'd get in trouble not the person who hit you.

Bottom line: Authority isn't always on your side, it's unbalanced, biased, and generally not effective at the grade school level. Best thing to do is to keep to yourself and avoid any and all possible problems.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 02:42 PM   #6
RuhielRaptor
FFR Player

^ that was my post, i took too long typing

Lifetime- for teaching children that women are rape toys and all men are evil(ladies, I\'m single and guranteed not to rape you!)
RuhielRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:53 PM   #7
ayanepuck
FFR Player

Biased authority....well of course...you aren't going to have problems with authority that is on your side, now would you?

--George Harrison
Old 05-27-2004, 04:04 AM   #8
Jam930
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayanepuck
Standing up for something you believe in is one thing. Making a complete fool of yourself is another.
False.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:46 AM   #9
ayanepuck
FFR Player

How is that false? I see those things as separate. But, if you think they go hand in hand, please....elaborate.

--George Harrison
Old 06-2-2004, 06:30 AM   #10
RajginKisaragi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to RajginKisaragi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayanepuck
How is that false? I see those things as separate. But, if you think they go hand in hand, please....elaborate.
I got this Jam.

No matter the consequences of the matter, people WILL stand up for what they believe in. It ties with being either an idiot or making an idiot of yourself because other people will think this of you.

Such as: I must be stupid because I like this thing and you don't.
Religion is a very good example.

RajginKisaragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-2-2004, 04:43 PM   #11
ayanepuck
FFR Player

Ah....good point. I wish I had more to say on the subject at the moment...but I cannot seem to organize my thoughts.

--George Harrison
Old 06-2-2004, 05:20 PM   #12
Verruckter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Verruckter Send a message via MSN to Verruckter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajginKisaragi
Such as: I must be stupid because I like this thing and you don't.
Religion is a very good example.
I hate people who think that. It is so disrespectful. It's ok to say: I don't like this... I don't like that but PLEASE people!! don't say something is stupid if you don't like it!