Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Writing and Literature
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MooMoo_Cowfreak
Default The Cadet

This is The Cadet, a story I wrote a while back. Sorry but Word is being gay so it looks terrible (I generally 1.5 and indent space so it's easy on the eyes. However FFR forums no like it). Just try your best to read it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KAPOW! The base exploded, and all the innocent Gangrideons died from the various shrapnel that came from the grenade.

“Get down, get down!”

“Sir, we’re fighting Gangrideons,” said the Cadet to his fellow Captain, “they’re known to be one of the weakest aliens.” The Cadet was never one for these imaginary games, and just wanted it to end.

“You never know what’ll happen,” the Captain said as a Gangrideon came soaring through the air, wildly slashing its blunt talons, “Incoming!”

The Gangrideon at once landed on the Cadet’s face, and scratched away, in a futile attempt to wound him. The unfortunate child began to cry.

“You see, you see!” said the Captain, mockingly.

“Hey! This isn’t fair, it isn’t fair!”

“Just because I get to be the Captain–”

“Oh, so me being the Cadet means I have to take all the shots?” he whimpered, “You think that you never get to be hurt in battle or something?”

“Correct, captains never get hurt in battle.”

“Oh, well…” he said, bashfully, “okay. This is a stupid game anyway,”

“No, it’s not stupid!” said the Captain, as he lunged at the Cadet, getting them into a friendly fight. The Cadet’s mom, during the course of this fight, showed up, however.

“Eh? I come home to this? I go to the grocery store for one second and–” she sighed.

“Ah, so it is you, Mom Unit C8. You have met your doom,” said the Captain, preparing his laser gun. “Are you ready? For death?” Upon saying this, the Captain fired a single shot at the Cadet’s mom but she walked right through it, took the boy by the collar, and took him into the bathroom where she lectured him.

The Cadet’s mom lectured, and the Captain listened, in the loosest sense of the word. He was really thinking all about the Gangrideons that were quite obviously overrunning the poor Cadet who had no combat skills whatsoever. He thought about what he could do to save the feeble Cadet from his impending doom, and other such things. In the midst of the lecture, something hit him. He turned around to see what hit him, but nothing unexpected was there. Except for the giant looming saucer that had blown a hole through the side of the house.

The Cadet’s mom shielded the Captain from whatever other things the saucer would fire at him, and quickly ran into kitchen, where the Cadet was sucking down on a juice box.

“Hurry up! We need to go, now!” she said to the Cadet.

“Ah, what? Well, let me finish this juice b–”

“It can wait!” said his mom, desperately. He threw it away into the trashcan, which happened to have several cans of beer in it. His mom had gotten drunk the night before, alone.

The Cadet, his mom, and the Captain loaded into the car and set off towards the interstate, in an attempt to outrun the saucer. They went down the entirely empty New Mexican interstate a while, whilst the saucer always loomed behind them, menacingly. After a bit the Captain broke the silence.

“Well, would you look at that, the Gangrideons can fight like real men after all. See, told ya!” said the Captain, completely apropos.

“Kid, this isn’t one of your imaginary games, this is real,” said the Cadet’s mom, who was very irate at the situation at hand.

“Real eh? I thought flying saucers weren’t actually real. It’s obviously the Gangrideons. My, look how far they’ve come in technology since no more than twenty-five minutes ago!”
“Just shut up, please, I need to concentrate on the road. I’m already hung over enough as it is.”
“Okayyy…” The Captain didn’t exactly know what a hang over was, nor could he accept just how dire the situation was. Just as the Captain said this, the flying saucer vanished.
“What in the name of the– What just happened? All right, all right. It’s okay, It’s okay,” the Cadet’s mom said, obviously worried, “Let’s disregard this, and go.” As it would be, however, the engine wouldn’t start.

“You know, this is about the most cliché thing that can happen to us right now,” said the Cadet’s mom, “This kinda thing always happens in the movies. The aliens chase them for a long time, the aliens disappear into thin air, the air gets all musty, and then, of course, the victim’s engine won’t start. I wouldn’t be surprised if when that UFO comes back, it has a friend with it. Come on boys, let’s get this car out of the road.” They got out of the car and pushed the car over to the shoulder of the road. The Cadet’s mom then made a good ten second inspection of the car, and decided that they were stuck.

“Well, that’s exactly why I always bring beer around.”

“What?!” said the Cadet, “You bring beer in the car! Mom, no please, don’t! Not now anyway!” His mom brushed the poor Cadet’s comment off, then opened up the trunk of the car and took her beer out. There were four six packs of Bud Light in there which had been loaded into the compartment underneath the carpeting.. She took one off of the net and slammed the whole beer down, giving her a quick buzz.

“Ah, yes, this is what I need.”

“Mom, no! This is stupid!” said the Cadet, desperately. In response, his mom took another large gulp of beer. She was going to get drunk.

“Agh, it’s no use now, we’ll just have to wait for her to stop,” said the Cadet to the Captain, “We’ll have to wait and see what happens, sadly. Let’s hope she stops before she starts to vomit. God, I hate when she does this,” he said, sighing.

“She vomits? Ah, gross!” said the Captain, hoping, along with the Cadet, that she wouldn’t vomit, though for different reasons. The Cadet’s mom took two six packs into the car, beckoned the kids to get in, and then proceeded to get drunk right in front of her son and his friend.
An hour passed of pitiful loneliness, and the Cadet’s mom had gotten down six cans of beer by this time, and was genuinely smashed at the moment.

“Ya know, I love you guys! I never wanna leave you two again. You’re always gonna be there for me, all the time. I know, I know. Your pop woulda been there for me, if he didn’t just die like that,” PINK! she dropped a bottle cap, “He decided to get into a car accident and die. Pity, he was such a great man.” She vomited right out of the open window.

“I know mom, I know,” said the Cadet. His mom popped the tab of one last can of beer, got half down, vomited one more time, and then passed out.

“Gosh. Your mom do that a lot?” said the Captain.

“Yes.”

“Well, it’s totally disgusting. Just look at her. Well, she’ll be better. At least, well, hopefully,” said the Captain, in a sad attempt at comforting the Cadet. Out of nowhere the Captain said, “Holy guacamole, look at that!”

“What?” exclaimed the Cadet, as he turned to look out the window to see what the Captain was talking about. Behind them approached the flying saucer, which was now flying with a buddy. The Cadet and Captain stared in total awe, and then quickly got down out of sight.

“What do we do? We can’t get your mom up and we can’t just go out there and confront them,” said the Captain. “Ideas?”

“Err, sort of,” replied the Cadet.

“Well, tell me them. We need to get rid of these stupid Gangrideons.”

“You still think this is a game!” the Cadet said, flabbergasted. “This is no game! This is real, and if you can’t confront that, then– then…” He got out of the car. He approached the saucers, hoping he would prove himself in some way, as a million things went though his mind.

He recalled one time, when he was six, in which he and his parents were on a road trip to Texas, and they stopped off at a steakhouse. He and his dad sat next to each other and played with their food together, as they almost always did, and had an all round grand old time. His mom, however, got four longnecks and got drunk, as was completely expected of her. His dad then had to drive them to the hotel, and he had a sprained ankle at the time. The Cadet hated his mom for that.

And he recalled another time, a year ago, when he was seven, in which he was with his mom, on a rare occasion where she wasn’t hung over or drunk, so, the Cadet was actually enjoying the company of his mom. However, the phone rang. His mom answered the phone, told him to go play outside, ran to what had just recently become only her room, and then sobbed away for hours, as she contemplated the death of her husband. Upon the Cadet coming back in to the house, the news hit him, and he was depressed ever since.

He continued on his trek toward the saucers, thinking about all these things in his life, especially about his father, until the Cadet died himself. A quick blast of energy was fired from one of the saucers, and the Cadet fell down to the ground, dead.

In time, his mom came to her senses and asked the Captain where the Cadet was.

“He’s right outside, confronting the aliens.” he said with tears streaming from his eyes.

“Well, have you bothered to check on him?” She was still slightly drunk, and thought that her son confronting aliens was something that any good son would do.

“No, actually.”

“Then we ought to, shouldn’t we?” They looked outside at the Cadet’s dead body on the ground. It had been burned badly, and many of his bones were viewable. The Cadet’s mom was taken aback.

“Aaa, aa, wha- no- no- God damnit no! I’ve lost everything, my husband, my parents, and now my son!” The Cadet’s mom cried and cried along with the Captain, who’d had an incredibly hard time bearing the sight of his friend’s seared body.

The two of them cried their hearts out for the poor Cadet, and in time they went to sleep, the both of them crying softly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments are appreciated. Thanks!

post-dumps abstractly represent the existential nihilism that the song invokes in the listener with negative space, evoking the ephemeral nature of the mind - the journey of stepmania begins in hope yet soon becomes corroded into a dialectic of futility, leaving only a sense of dread and the unlikelihood of a new synthesis

Last edited by MooMoo_Cowfreak; 09-22-2008 at 09:46 PM..
MooMoo_Cowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Default Re: The Cadet

boy this sure is one popular story.

post-dumps abstractly represent the existential nihilism that the song invokes in the listener with negative space, evoking the ephemeral nature of the mind - the journey of stepmania begins in hope yet soon becomes corroded into a dialectic of futility, leaving only a sense of dread and the unlikelihood of a new synthesis
Old 10-1-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
SacredMidnight
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SacredMidnight Send a message via MSN to SacredMidnight Send a message via Yahoo to SacredMidnight

Wow..Cadet died ><. I liked the story. The beginning was a little bit weird, but then I got into it. Good work ^^
SacredMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Another bump because this needs to be read. Bumping right before ffr hits it's peak busyness, hopefully people will read this.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
rzr
TWG Veteran

Send a message via AIM to rzr Send a message via MSN to rzr Send a message via Yahoo to rzr Send a message via Skype™ to rzr

Keep going... I'm really confused about it. I have ideas of predictions, but I want to know if there's more. All in all, I like it. Keep going with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
Everyone sucks at this game. The second you think you're good is the second you stop trying to get better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
i had a mri the other day it was the best song i heard in years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite-
More of a joke than the time I deleted all the credits on the site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
yeah my goldfish think im a riot they do this thing where they turn upside down and float to the top of the tank

i guess their alcohol tolerance isnt as high as mine
rzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzr View Post
Keep going... I'm really confused about it. I have ideas of predictions, but I want to know if there's more. All in all, I like it. Keep going with it!
Uh... it's over. The cadet died, what else could there be?

Old 10-19-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
rzr
TWG Veteran

Send a message via AIM to rzr Send a message via MSN to rzr Send a message via Yahoo to rzr Send a message via Skype™ to rzr

You tell me. I'm just saying I'd like to see more of it.

Quote:
Everyone sucks at this game. The second you think you're good is the second you stop trying to get better.
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
yeah my goldfish think im a riot they do this thing where they turn upside down and float to the top of the tank

Old 10-19-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Quote:
You tell me. I'm just saying I'd like to see more of it.
You mean more stories about the cadet or just more stories from me? I'm getting pretty confused here... I suppose I could write a prequel or something gay like that, but this is really more of a stand-alone story.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:58 PM   #9
OnixRose
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo_Cowfreak View Post
You mean more stories about the cadet or just more stories from me? I'm getting pretty confused here... I suppose I could write a prequel or something gay like that, but this is really more of a stand-alone story.
I don't think he even knows what he means

1000% supporter of FFR character additions
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
FFR should implement a form of CAPTCHA that filters out not only spambots but also retards.
OnixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:09 AM   #10
rzr
TWG Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo_Cowfreak View Post
Just feels short. I'd like a prequel. Or another version from the Captain?

P.S. That was pretty ignorant of you, Onixrose.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 10-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #11
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Just feels short. I'd like a prequel. Or another version from the Captain?

P.S. That was pretty ignorant of you, Onixrose.
A version from the viewpoint of the captain would be very dry. One of the parts of the story is the whole thing about the cadet not really caring so much for the captain. If i was to tell it from the viewpoint of the captain, the whole story would be him thinking he was shooting things. I guess it would be interesting in the end, but that's it.

As for a prequel, I mean it's not a terrible idea, but there are just certain aspects of doing a prequel that I'm really not liking. I'm guessing though I'd do like a story of the dad.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #12
OnixRose
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
P.S. That was pretty ignorant of you,
I 'pologise

edit: also stories can be short hence the whole "short-story" genre of literature, some stories are good but aren't meant to have the plot furthered from what's already been given and are intentionally short.

1000% supporter of FFR character additions
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
FFR should implement a form of CAPTCHA that filters out not only spambots but also retards.

Last edited by OnixRose; 10-20-2008 at 06:28 PM..
OnixRose is offline   Reply With Quote