Quote:
Originally Posted by stargroup View Post
what if someone likes eating dog sh*t
Then they're probably a Tasselfoot.

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #422
jimerax
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jimerax Send a message via MSN to jimerax Send a message via Skype™ to jimerax
Default Re: Ingame Songs/Stepfiles Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargroup View Post
yeah putting 4th arrows down an entire column is technical but it f*cking sucks to play it.
so it's just "annoying 4th jacks vs random pattern" discussion
jimerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:15 PM   #423
t-rogdor
tane orb
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to t-rogdor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
Then they're probably a Tasselfoot.
I Seriously hope this comment isnt the reason you got b&......
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.
t-rogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:12 PM   #424
t-rogdor
tane orb

Aparently only Stargroup gets to insult/harass the Admins.
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:55 PM   #425
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

little different to insult/disagree with decisions. it's another to call me shi*t. but enough on it, please.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:02 PM   #426
operationstrawbarry
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to operationstrawbarry Send a message via MSN to operationstrawbarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
Aparently only Stargroup gets to insult/harass the Admins.
Hey! I resent that. ^^

and no I didn't. *Refers to post 398* Like I said, Im not a fan of the song, but neither was the steps great either. They were "ok"

Last edited by operationstrawbarry; 08-16-2008 at 10:18 PM..
operationstrawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:52 PM   #427
t-rogdor
tane orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasselfoot View Post
little different to insult/disagree with decisions. it's another to call me shi*t. but enough on it, please.
Tass, he didnt call you Sh*t. the question was
"What if someone likes eating dog Sh*t?"
The responce was saying that you did, not that you WERE. not that it's any diffierent, but hey. just saying.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #428
stargroup
FFR Player

yeah really

technically, he said you liked eating dog sh*t because it is parallel with you having bad taste in files. had you read the past few posts you would've figured that out

so he wasn't disrespecting you (actually both of us do it anyways haha), he was disagreeing with your taste in files. AS MOST PEOPLE DO
Old 08-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #429
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

this just came to me

why is tass so sensitive about someone saying that he eats dog sh*t, and yet when we bash him nonstop about what matters to ffr (mostly the queue) he easily shrugs it off and continues doing what he normally does

hmm

SECRET REVEALED!! TASS REALLY DOES EAT DOG SH*T

either that or he's an insensitive selfish asshole who does nothing good for ffr

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music
stargroup100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #430
not_hi19hi19
FFR Player

Well, it was supoosed to be a dig at tass's (lack of) stepping skill. I admit, it was very badly worded on my part, and a huge overraction on Tass's part. But I guess it's done now.

Also... Tass, as to the message you gave me? "Respect" is not something you enforce with a big stick ("ololol im a red letter username duder so i can b& peepl!!!!!!")

It's generally something you earn. If you're going to go around being an egotistical dickhead ("I'm the only reason this site has gotten to where it is now!!!!! I'm the be all and ****ing end all of teh FFRz!!!!!!!"), just remember that you're that much less likely to get respect, you know?
not_hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #431
-Yukari-
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Back on topic, played Piano X Forte. Horrible dump of 48th notes. Incredibly awkward PA file that ultimately pissed me off for 3:14. Got a really ****ty score, don't care, never playing again.

Seriously, do people get a kick out of stepping things that have no real rhythm to them? When I'm playing files like this, I can't get a frame of reference for when to press the globs of aqua and green arrows ****ting on my monitor. It's in a period of time so finely in between the rhythm you actually feel during a song (16ths or 24ths, depending what time it's written in, 3/4 or whatnot) that there's no way to have any type of flow when playing these files. It's one big muscle spasm making yourself defy the very flow you get into when playing to a piece of music.

It was horrible and I'm never playing it again, rank or not.

P.S. This is in no way intended to be a reflection on the TECHNICAL VALUE of the stepfile. I don't give a flying **** about the technical value. If it's not fun, I don't want to play it. I don't care if you can sync a sixty-****ing-fourth note. So can I.
So anyways i was thinking, what if a single miss didn't stop your combo? Instead, your combo kept going until 2 consecutive misses were made. I think this would provide a more realistic ranking system, and eliminate a lot of mashing.

Last edited by -Yukari-; 08-18-2008 at 05:20 PM..
-Yukari- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #432
Redorigami
Call me Massive Swallow

Send a message via AIM to Redorigami Send a message via MSN to Redorigami Send a message via Yahoo to Redorigami

It's called jazz, and I quite enjoy playing those types of files.

More specifically, the type of jazz OSTER Project tends to make
Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadNv View Post
Got dibs on La Camp.
Oh right, Im not any good.
Got dibs on Pita.
Redorigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #433
Shashakiro
TWO THOUZAND COMBO

Send a message via AIM to Shashakiro

some people don't find technical files fun, it's fine.

Btw I enjoy relatively constant BPM songs in the 200-240 ish range FAR more than any BPM-fluctuating rainbow colored file. While I won't deny that stuff like Piano X Forte is well-stepped/high quality, I will always prefer playing Mario Minor to anything like that XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogiebear
use ur bain. Itz there for a reason.
Shashakiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:29 PM   #434
-Yukari-
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Eh, at least someone agrees with me a little bit. I realize I'm mostly alone because if it's technically correct it's OMG AMAZING and so forth, but it was nice to read that post Shash XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redorigami View Post
It's called jazz
No ****? I own entire CDs of jazz. I don't need to have a hernia trying to play it in a video game, though.
So anyways i was thinking, what if a single miss didn't stop your combo? Instead, your combo kept going until 2 consecutive misses were made. I think this would provide a more realistic ranking system, and eliminate a lot of mashing.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #435
hi19hi19
lol happy

What's fun is fun, and it's going to be different for each person.

Me, I like crazy rhythms, 64ths, rainbow arrows. Makes me feel like I'm actually playing the song if it's done right. If you don't that stuff then hey, there's plenty for you, too.

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:39 PM   #436
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

well one aspect is the lack of consistency feel. rainbow colored arrows mean that there's inconsistency in rhythms, usually leading people to feel that it's more of a live recorded feeling than something generated by a computer

another reason is the color. rainbows are fun.

yet another reason is that those who have played files with basic rhythms for so long might get bored of them. they may no longer find fun in interpreting basic patterns and layering, so they turn to a higher sense of expression, which is easier to create using more complicated rhythms. (this is probably the major reason because it's so vague)

yet even another reason is that is shows the step author has much skill in syncing, causing people to feel impressed, therefore respecting the sim author

yes, people have different opinions. it all depends on what group of players you lean toward. for example, people who play for score usually prefer less complicated rhythms because they're easier to hit and therefore allows a better score. there are exceptions, such as people who focus on accuracy or enjoy it. obviously they might enjoy rainbow note files.
if, however, you are the tasteful player who looks for fun factor in files through expression rather than competition (usually step artists are these), then you'd look for something complicated, unique, or just done really well. it's like an art form. most of these people would enjoy colored notes because they open up a lot of possibilities

haha sm professor. seriously I should write a book or something

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music
stargroup100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:50 PM   #437
-Yukari-
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

FYI I don't play for score because if I did I would be fixing my totally ****ty 23-1-0-1 or w/e I got on Piano X Forte.

I play mostly for fun, especially after having my scores wiped in the past. If I'm not having fun, I'm not bothering; I learned my lesson the hard way. It has nothing to do with being "tasteful" because the definition of "tasteful" is liking something different in each person's book. So is "done really well". I'm not going to argue that PXE is synced very well, but IMO that's not all there is to making a "successful" simfile, which is ALSO subjective.

I'm also a step artist myself, and write filesto make files fun, not to show off my ego in how well I can sync. Trust me I can write the biggest AND most accurate dump you have ever seen, but if I wouldn't enjoy playing it, I would never write it.

Last edited by -Yukari-; 08-18-2008 at 11:53 PM..
Old 08-18-2008, 11:59 PM   #438
stargroup
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Yukari- View Post
I'm not going to argue that PXE is synced very well, but IMO that's not all there is to making a "successful" simfile, which is ALSO subjective.

I'm also a step artist myself, and write filesto make files fun, not to show off my ego in how well I can sync. Trust me I can write the biggest AND most accurate dump you have ever seen, but if I wouldn't enjoy playing it, I would never write it.
haha you still don't get it. first of all I never even said whether or not I think piano forte is a good file. I only said why people enjoy colored notes. second, I never said the good syncing is all you need. I said you had to use it in a way that allows much room for possibility, creating ways to make your file complicated, unique, etc.

however, many people really enjoy playing accurately syncing dumps no matter how bad the actual steps are. so if you really think you can sync so incredibly well, you'd be doing the community a favor by creating something. it's also for your own benefit too, as you'll gain a lot of respect this way

on top of that, many step artists today are getting really lazy with syncing, so if you think you're good you could try your hand at helping them. it'd be a great help to the community as a whole, both ffr and sm

to be clear, I'm not doubting your syncing ability by challenging them, nor am I forcing you to contribute, I'm just saying that if you're really good at syncing, you can only benefit the community by helping, hmm?

ps tasteful does not vary between people. your opinions are either tasteful or tasteless or somewhere in between
Old 08-19-2008, 12:44 AM   #439
-Yukari-
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

EDIT: Reading through this thread, I'm not even going to give an actual reply because I realize I'm wasting my time. Yes, you're right Stargroup, about everything; your opinions, your speculations, and everything else.

Last edited by -Yukari-; 08-19-2008 at 01:04 AM..
Old 08-19-2008, 05:19 AM   #440
jimerax
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jimerax Send a message via MSN to jimerax Send a message via Skype™ to jimerax

There's no room for argument about a person's taste.

ps you'll definitely hate =pk=.

Last edited by jimerax; 08-19-2008 at 06:16 AM..
jimerax is offline   Reply With Quote