Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-3-2008, 06:56 PM   #21
dean_machine
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: for the love of god...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Say i have a 2nd hard drive that doesn't have an OS on it. I has 450gb's of stuff but it still has enough room for ubuntu. Could i install ubuntu without formatting that drive, and losing everything? I would have to change the bios to boot from that drive to load it up, but i want to know if that's possible.
if you want all that stuff on the 2nd hard drive on the same logical drive (same partition or drive letter) as the ubuntu OS, I don't think that's possible, but you can split up some of the free space on the 2nd drive and set it apart for ubuntu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
i would also like to know if you could use an external HD to boot ubuntu
That's a good question, I'm not sure, but I think you could. All I think is required is that one OS and the boot configurations is on the master drive (the first, or only, internal hd) although, if you want windows along with linux OSs and want to be able to access all of them, windows has to be the first one installed and on the master drive. Maybe it's called primary drive, I forget. It's been a while since I've had a class that had to do with installing operating systems and building and fixing computers.
Old 10-3-2008, 07:27 PM   #22
fido123
FFR Player

@Izzy

You can run Unbuntu from a CD if it's just for FFR purposes, it's what my friend does. He just keeps his CD in his drive and every time he boots up it asks him if he wants to start Unbuntu or boot up from his HDD. When he plays FFR he boots up Unbuntu and everything else he just uses Vista. Of course if you want to use Unbuntu on your HDD it can format already formatted HD space, just takes a while, make sure you have the space for it though.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2008, 09:06 PM   #23
phe0nixblade
Praise the sun mofo
FFR Veteran

Quote:
unbuntu
wtf is that
Old 10-3-2008, 09:34 PM   #24
badman7772
It happens for a reason.
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I've went 3 months without FFR myself. I got the viruses swamped on my last comp. I'm lucky enough to even be able to use this PoS comp.

Anyways, the same happened to me when i was at my friend's house. Are you on a laptop or a desktop comp?
Old 10-3-2008, 09:49 PM   #25
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by phe0nixblade View Post
wtf is that
A Linux based operating system. Really nice, if your a nerd you should check it out but be warned, Linux users only get laid as often as the have to reboot their computer...
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2008, 11:03 PM   #26
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_machine View Post
if you want all that stuff on the 2nd hard drive on the same logical drive (same partition or drive letter) as the ubuntu OS, I don't think that's possible, but you can split up some of the free space on the 2nd drive and set it apart for ubuntu.
Well you cant partition your HD without formatting it. So the answer is no. You cannot install ubuntu without formatting your HD.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-4-2008, 10:35 AM   #27
dean_machine
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Well you cant partition your HD without formatting it. So the answer is no. You cannot install ubuntu without formatting your HD.
Yeah, you have to format it, but only the free space you set aside for ubuntu, the rest of it will be left unformated. It's not like you're going to lose anything on your HD if you do. I've done this before with a second internal HD with stuff already on it, originally it had vista (free from school), but I later removed it. I just split it into 2, 20GB of unused space for ubuntu and 20GB remaining for vista. Only the space for ubuntu had to be formated.
Old 10-4-2008, 11:24 AM   #28
Soraan
FFR Player

I don't see why it would be Vista. I run Vista (On 1gig of ram, sadly) and FFR has never lagged. Then again, I only have what, 30 some odd plays. :P

I'm done not contributing to the thread, btw.
Originally Posted by Soraan
Oh noo. D; That's terrible. Now they have to thaw it out before they partake in their daily noms!
I l y James =D
I think I won.
Soraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-4-2008, 11:42 AM   #29
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

You would have to at least be somewhat tuned into the slight accuracy of ffr to tell. It doesn't "lag" for me either. But on my vista pc it is just off randomly, and it keeps changing. I could swear the 3 frame time period for a perfect shifts up and down as you play.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-5-2008, 06:19 PM   #30
Flameshadowxeroshin
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_machine View Post
Yeah, you have to format it, but only the free space you set aside for ubuntu, the rest of it will be left unformated. It's not like you're going to lose anything on your HD if you do. I've done this before with a second internal HD with stuff already on it, originally it had vista (free from school), but I later removed it. I just split it into 2, 20GB of unused space for ubuntu and 20GB remaining for vista. Only the space for ubuntu had to be formated.
Ever heard of Wubi? It lets you install Ubuntu without partitioning and uninstall it like a Windows app.
Flameshadowxeroshin is offline   Reply With Quote