Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
KaBlammo
FFR Player

Default How does anyone do jumpsteps?

Wow, I put jumpsteps in the title and not jump streams. :\

I thought I was pretty good at this game until I realized jumpstreams ran rampant in all the "actually difficult" songs. I've tried and tried to learn jumpstreams but I can't do it. Does anyone have any tips, or know of any songs that are good for learning and mastering jump streams?

I hit streams just fine but toss a jump or god forbid a triple/quadruple step in there and I mash my keyboard until the song fails.

Last edited by KaBlammo; 02-19-2013 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: Was a dummy.
KaBlammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
shadow 1800
I can't think of anything
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to shadow 1800
Default Re: How does anyone do jumpsteps?

It's probably easiest to try and emphasize each jump or hand within the stream by hitting them harder than normal, until you get the rhythm down.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
KaBlammo
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 1800 View Post
It's probably easiest to try and emphasize each jump or hand within the stream by hitting them harder than normal, until you get the rhythm down.
The problem with that though is hitting harder slows me down a bit too much. I have a hard time reading the steps, let alone executing them. I just don't know where to begin.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
PrawnSkunk
Administrator
User Administrator
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

The only advice I can actually put into words would be to not over think this pattern's complexity. I accomplished this by looking at the jumps as just part of the stream.

Another technique would be to isolate the jumps by putting extra focus into hitting them harder than normal.

The song I used to learn jumpstream on was Etude to a Dragon.
PrawnSkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

Start with songs that have jumps in succession. World of Dreams is a pretty extreme example. This will get you used to hitting two notes at once while maintaining a rhythm.

Next is jump chains (viewable in the glossary). This is a jump-step-jump pattern where the two jumps have the step arrow in common. These are pretty hard to do from a control aspect, but it'll pay off later, trust me.

If all else fails, practice hitting the jumps only without caring about the misses in between. This will help you read jumpstreams by picking out the jumps within it...at least until you fail, as most jumpstreams are 2-note chords every 4 notes.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
KaBlammo
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrawnSkunk View Post
The only advice I can actually put into words would be to not over think this pattern's complexity. I accomplished this by looking at the jumps as just part of the stream.

Another technique would be to isolate the jumps by putting extra focus into hitting them harder than normal.

The song I used to learn jumpstream on was Etude to a Dragon.
That's what the last guy said but hitting them harder seems to slow me down even more. I tried etude to a dragon, and a few others I found on another thread. Is there no median to jump streams? They all seem to just jump right into really difficult. It's overwhelming to say the least.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
KaBlammo
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotrhythm View Post
Start with songs that have jumps in succession. World of Dreams is a pretty extreme example. This will get you used to hitting two notes at once while maintaining a rhythm.

Next is jump chains (viewable in the glossary). This is a jump-step-jump pattern where the two jumps have the step arrow in common. These are pretty hard to do from a control aspect, but it'll pay off later, trust me.

If all else fails, practice hitting the jumps only without caring about the misses in between. This will help you read jumpstreams by picking out the jumps within it...at least until you fail, as most jumpstreams are 2-note chords every 4 notes.
I'll try looking up songs with some of those things in it. I tried World of Dreams and it was pretty easy by my standards.

I keep tending to reach jumpstreams and it all just looks like a jumble of steps. I do so poorly that I don't feel as though I'm getting any better at them. How long does it usually take a person to figure this thing out and notice a change in skill?
Old 02-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBlammo View Post
That's what the last guy said but hitting them harder seems to slow me down even more. I tried etude to a dragon, and a few others I found on another thread. Is there no median to jump streams? They all seem to just jump right into really difficult. It's overwhelming to say the least.
Play songs a little out of your range and up your speed mod a little out of your comfort zone.

I say this because the easiest way for me to adapt to something I can't do is to force myself to attempt to adjust on an even more difficult scale, then doing it normal becomes easier. You may not want to try both suggestions at the same time, but the idea remains.

edit: Best advice I can give; Don't EVER mash. Let arrows go by if you have to, and only hit certain ones until you can get an idea of what patterns are going on. Mashing is mindless and doesn't develop reading skills and adjustment at all
Old 02-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I think what helps the most is to get an inherent understanding of the song. Most often, a jumpstream is the product of a combination of percussions (usually drums) and whatever running melody is simultaneously present. By playing and/or listening a few times, you can familiarize yourself with the song.

Your key setup is also important. Now I don't know what setup you use to play the game, but if you're playing one-handed, a jumpstream becomes a lot more tedious process than playing with two hands.

It also helps to familiarize yourself with the patterns, as there are only so many jumpstream patterns that can be accomplished with four arrows (Refer to the FFR Picture Dictionary to familiarize yourself with basic patterns.). If you have difficulties in interpreting jumpstreams, try to change the scroll speed as well.

Ease yourself into jumpstreams by playing songs with a slower tempo, as well as songs with more simple jumpstream patterns. It all boils down to familiarizing yourself with what you see (as well as what you hear). And if you're a novice, you also have to fully familiarize yourself with your own personal key setup.

Last edited by bmah; 02-19-2013 at 06:59 PM..
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
KaBlammo
FFR Player

Here's about my 5th or so attempt at etude to a dragon jumpstream. I set it to 1.5 speed to see if that would help.
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...replay/201044/
Idk if replays would help but that's about where I am skill-wise.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
i love you
Live a wonderful life~
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I wish I had tips on how to do JS well...

I still have problems with them :__;
i love you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
KaBlammo
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
I think what helps the most is to get an inherent understanding of the song. Most often, a jumpstream is the product of a combination of percussions (usually drums) and whatever running melody is simultaneously present. By playing and/or listening a few times, you can familiarize yourself with the song.

Your key setup is also important. Now I don't know what setup you use to play the game, but if you're playing one-handed, a jumpstream becomes a lot more tedious process than playing with two hands.

It also helps to familiarize yourself with the patterns, as there are only so many jumpstream patterns that can be accomplished with four arrows (Refer to the FFR Picture Dictionary to familiarize yourself with basic patterns.). If you have difficulties in interpreting jumpstreams, try to change the scroll speed as well.

Ease yourself into jumpstreams by playing songs with a slower tempo, as well as songs with more simple jumpstream patterns. It all boils down to familiarizing yourself with what you see (as well as what you hear). And if you're a novice, you also have to fully familiarize yourself with your own personal key setup.
Where is this FFR picture dictionary? I must be overlooking it lol.
I'm getting used to etude to a dragon but will that carry over to other songs? I'm guessing more difficult jumpstreams just come with time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_ator
Play songs a little out of your range and up your speed mod a little out of your comfort zone.

I say this because the easiest way for me to adapt to something I can't do is to force myself to attempt to adjust on an even more difficult scale, then doing it normal becomes easier. You may not want to try both suggestions at the same time, but the idea remains.

edit: Best advice I can give; Don't EVER mash. Let arrows go by if you have to, and only hit certain ones until you can get an idea of what patterns are going on. Mashing is mindless and doesn't develop reading skills and adjustment at all
Should I just find a song that seems like good practice and then play other songs with similar difficulty levels? There's so many songs I'm not sure which ones are good to practice on and which aren't.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #13
justin_ator
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

What speedmod and key/hand setup do you normally use?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
bmah
shots FIRED

Quote:
Here's about my 5th or so attempt at etude to a dragon jumpstream. I set it to 1.5 speed to see if that would help.
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...replay/201044/
Idk if replays would help but that's about where I am skill-wise.
Looking at your replay data, it appears that you go pretty spastic when the jumpstream arrives. During that part, not only do a lot of hits appear to be late, but some of it appears to be educated mashing. From that I'm going to guess that you have to familiarize yourself with jumpstream patterns a lot more. It helps by watching a replay, because you can't think about it very much while playing. So before you dive into another song, take the time to analyze a replay of it. Pause the replay and inspect sections of the song that give you trouble.

Quote:
Right here, sir!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #15
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Keep playing Etude to a Dragon over and over again or a jumpstream song of similar difficulty.

If you aren't playing spread, learn spread.
ilikexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #16
justin_ator
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Quote:
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=115282
Old 02-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #17
bmah
shots FIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
Keep playing Etude to a Dragon over and over again or a jumpstream song of similar difficulty.
You won't get far if you play over and over again and still fail to recognize basic jumpstream patterns.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #18
KaBlammo
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_ator View Post
What speedmod and key/hand setup do you normally use?
I'm using 1.5 speed on most songs at the moment.
I play spread on D, F, J and K
Old 02-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #19
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
You won't get far if you play over and over again and still fail to recognize basic jumpstream patterns.
You learn to recognize basic jumpstream patterns if you play over and over again.

I'm not very familiar with lower level FFR files, so I can't name any specific recommendation for a slightly easier song, but judging by the fact that you at least partially hit the js in that song, it can't be terrible to use it as a learning file.
ilikexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #20
KaBlammo
FFR Player

Quote:
Looking at your replay data, it appears that you go pretty spastic when the jumpstream arrives. During that part, not only do a lot of hits appear to be late, but some of it appears to be educated mashing. From that I'm going to guess that you have to familiarize yourself with jumpstream patterns a lot more. It helps by watching a replay, because you can't think about it very much while playing. So before you dive into another song, take the time to analyze a replay of it. Pause the replay and inspect sections of the song that give you trouble.
Well what I've been doing is not trying to get every note hit, and instead locking onto a part of the stream and attempting it without letting too much of it skip past. It helps me hit more of the jumps but obviously the end goal is to hit all of them.