Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #61
midnghtraver
Icarus Moth
FFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Re: Portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatskier View Post
Yes but i can tell you that almost 100% of the time, if you go to college you are going to make more money than not going to college. You also look much more respectable. Honest to god its the time of your life. Not going not only hurts your chances in the real world, but you just won't the same satisfaction out of life as going. Now i don't have a clue how your family has done in terms of money, but even if they were doing bad, smart kids want the education. America is a land of given opprotunity for a great education, by not going you are being a selfish kid who isnt ready for the real world. So i have heard you went to a respectable college rubix. +1 respect points.
Terrible artist w/ college degree
Great artist w/o college degree

Same job = Great artist gets hired.

Yes a college degree always helps but the job isn't about who has the collage degree, its who has art skills.

Plus your a freshman, you cant really be making that argument.

EDIT: College isn't the only way to get education.

EDIT 2: Do research on who your arguing against first, DS is NOT a selfish kid who isn't ready for the real world.

Last edited by midnghtraver; 04-23-2011 at 11:18 PM..
Old 04-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #62
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

It can go hand in hand, because by going to school you learn a lot of the business side from people with first hand experience, and by knowing what you must do in certain corporate situations that can make you a better artist, with that knowledge.

So if it's for a corporate identity, it's leaning towards the better artist IF they can demonstrate the skills needed to promote business oriented material, not just art for the sake of art.

So yeah knowledge is key, doesn't make college a requirement but a very cherishable experience.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:01 AM   #63
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

College was just never my cup of tea, the learning pace is too slow.
I actually might disagree with you on the "business side" comment, as I've actually found that schools almost teach absolutely nothing about the business side of things. It's more something you need to figure out with hands-on experience. They give you the skills needed to complete professional business quality work, but they can't teach you creativity. Not to mention, your education is only worth the effort you choose to put into it.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #64
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Mythix

I get my bachelor in modelling and animation next year.

Let me tell you this, every single one who wants to learn, master and work with 3D animation or CG:

Don't f**king pay to learn this. You'll still sit, at home, alone, searching the web, contacting other artists and working tens of hour a day to master something you've set out to learn. You know what they tell you at school?

Google it.

Yes, EA and Pixar based schools that are linked to great agencies make your portfolio float more smoothly, but every hotkey, every tweak.. You find it yourself. There's no shortcuts. No magic button, magic settings and no easy fix. Unless you want to be stuck making commercials and mmorpg graphics...

Cheers.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #65
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

You're right. Though you've come a really long way from the time when you had first picked up 3d artistry, I have no doubt that even if you didn't go to school, you'd probably be somewhere around the same level just from the sheer fact that you really enjoy doing this stuff.
Old 05-9-2011, 05:17 AM   #66
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Mythix

I just feel like I really can't stress it enough... "Good artis w degree vs good artist without, artist with degree gets job" <- this is pretty much wrong. I mean, theoretically, yes.

But two persons are never on the exact same skill levels, and all the greatest animators, modellers and so on rarely have a degree of any type, and those with decades in the business knows how to seperate talent from mainstreamers. School is just a push in the correct direction, after that it's pure skill, talent and mentality, your papers won't really be noticed.

"Oh this portfolio sucks, the modelling is bad and the animation is mediocre. Did he make this in windows movi- OH BUT HE HAS 3 YEARS OF SCHOOL!! HIRE HIM!" doesn't happen, ever.

But "Man that kid had one sick portfolio, so clean and organized. No school? He sure has talent, lets grab him!" is way WAY more probable.

What exactly -is- school? They won't show exactly how to solve your problems, only link tutorials. You don't learn anything from them just showing you the solution.
Sure, if you encounter that exact same problem again. But every model and scene are of such complexity you will run into so many problems, you must know how to approach them to solve them on your own.

If you can't force yourself to sit infront of your computer, work 5 hours a day for a week on a project, having to go to schoon 9 in the morning doesn't make it funnier, easier or more worthwhile, and you'll be one of those 60% that simply never make it in the business. I went to school, and none of the people in my class are truly talented. We have three people who are extraterrestical in skill; but they had worked 3 years before they even thought about school. Using thousands of hours because they had a notch for it, willing to work on the same project for months to make sure they knew exactly how to do it.

The rest of the class just pay the school and fill space, every tenth minute they have to ask how to do something, then just copy what they saw. Sure, teacher explains why but it's in one ear, and out the other, unless they go home, try hundreds of different solutions until they realize how it works, or start over and do -everything- again (easily 100 hours spent on that on my car) for days. Which you don't need a school desk to do or understand.

I feel like this thread shouldn't die, because people don't know how bad their portfolios are, or useless. Sure, lots of cool text effects and fast camera blinking, but unless it's an editing portfolio, all they want to see is well-angled 3D related work.
Old 09-7-2013, 10:01 AM   #67
( ゚д゚)彡
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

cool
Old 09-7-2013, 01:11 PM   #68
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

cool
Old 09-7-2013, 01:17 PM   #69
mi40
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

fakefolio
Old 09-7-2013, 01:24 PM   #70
Gundam-Dude
`~`
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

lmfao

(Download My Magnum Opus, Solo Kpop Pack!)

My Simfiles (4key & 6key)
Old 09-7-2013, 04:54 PM   #71
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

swage
Old 09-7-2013, 04:55 PM   #72
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

swage
Old 09-7-2013, 06:27 PM   #73
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

ballin
Old 09-7-2013, 06:31 PM   #74
Riotpolice
"Reach For The Stars"
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Riotpolice Send a message via Skype™ to Riotpolice

I'll bet he lied about eating too....
Also why is "summon" in quotation marks as usually that signifies an alternate meaning like for example last night I "visited" your mother but it really means last night I "fucked her in the ass" so exactly what is the subtext of "summon" because I am not sure I am comfortable with the implications

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0de View Post
im usually the "nice guy" around these parts.. but this is bad, and you should feel bad. i would rather dip my balls in honey and hover them over a red ant hill than to ever hear such butchered crap.
Closed Thread