Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-1-2014, 12:03 AM   #1
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean
Default how i met your mother

Show just aired its series finale after like 9 years. I've been following it for like 4 years now. I like it. You probably have seen it before and enjoyed it too.

Thoughts on the finale:
I'm a little disappointed with how they ended it though. I was OK with them padding Barney/Robin's wedding through the whole season, but the ending with the Mother... ugh. If you want to do a twist, do a big twist. Do a twist we wouldn't all see coming. "The children are just figments of Ted's imagination." Or maybe: "Ted's been lying the whole time and everything Barney did was really Ted."

But don't do the most obvious twist. If you're going to for obvious, just go obvious and don't twist it at all. You had a great twist with Robin in the pilot. That's all that they needed out of her! You didn't have to make the most obvious twist ever and have her end up with Ted while ALSO not being the Mother. And killing the Mother too? They basically said this directly a few episodes back and I was just waiting on them to smartly subvert everyone's expectations. But they didn't. And even before they hinted HARD at her dying during this past season, it was a VERY popular theory as to WHY Ted would be telling the story all alone.

It's just kind of annoying, because they'd done well to be subversive in unexpected ways in the past. So many great misdirects and unreliable narrator gags. It's been the show's bread and butter. But here, they go for the low-hanging fruit. Buh.

Leading up to the finale, I started rewatching from the beginning. I was hoping to finish my marathoning before the finale aired, but I still have about 3 seasons left to make it through. Definitely recommend this show for anyone who is a fan of sitcoms.
Old 04-1-2014, 04:13 AM   #2
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter
Default Re: how i met your mother

I had a big issue with spending the entire final season building up Robin and Barney's wedding then undoing it in ninety seconds, even if we did get a really good moment out of Barney saying those words to his daughter.

--Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2014, 12:25 PM   #3

While I can see where Bays & Thomas were going with this, I feel this was incredibly rushed for a series finale, and to be honest, a complete letdown. It's the worst thing to build up to a wedding for AN ENTIRE SEASON and then have Barney and Robin divorce within the first 15 minutes. Moreover, there was no time allocated toward Ted's grievance of Tracy, which makes me feel Ted had to get over her to go immediately toward Robin (six years is a lot of time but once again, they really rushed it).

On the other hand, I liked the resolution. It's sad, but in a sense it's also satisfying. I guess this entire story was Ted's way of getting over the Mother's death.
___________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
omega220
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

RIP HIMYM. Great series.
omega220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #5
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

Send a message via AIM to Snowcrafta

Alright, only another month or so until season 9 is on netflix and I can finish this up. Pretty damn excited, also kind of sad to see it end
Old 04-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #6
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

What the fuck were they thinking?

I didn't really need a spoiler for that

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:13 AM   #7
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcrafta View Post
Alright, only another month or so until season 9 is on netflix and I can finish this up. Pretty damn excited, also kind of sad to see it end
Don't get too excited.

It'll probably be at least a few months before season 9 comes to Netflix. My guess is that 20th Century Fox wants people to buy the DVDs rather than subscribe to Netflix, so it won't get to Netflix until a while after season 9 is already out on DVD (and I don't see any release date confirmed yet). This is how it always is. Netflix often adds a season of new episodes long after the next season has already started airing, thus making it hard to make the transition from seeing the show on Netflix into catching new episodes as they air.

Also, it sounds like they're not taking the opportunity to release the whole show on Blu-ray. That's disappointing. Only season 4 got a BD release before they went back to DVD-only. And even season 9 won't be getting a HD home video release. Blech.
Old 10-3-2014, 02:38 AM   #8
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

Send a message via AIM to Snowcrafta

Finally finished this show, and I was quite happy with the ending, although it felt a little rushed.

I loved the mother's character, and the ending did tie up everything it needed to. Left me with a smile on my face, so I can't complain.