Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Audio and Music Production
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 05:35 PM   #1
BCLR
FFR Player

Default Fruity Loops?

Well today I "bought" a copy of Fruity Loops and I have know clue what it does. The reason why I bought it is I hear a lot about it on FFR. So if anyone could please answer what you use Fruity Loops for thank you.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:39 PM   #2
TacoTheThird
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to TacoTheThird
Default RE: Fruity Loops?

Umm... It's a music making tool. I can't really help you much past that. >_>

SmOnline account = TacoTheThird
TacoTheThird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:58 PM   #3
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Omeganitros

LOL YOU PAID OVER FIFTY DOLLARS FOR....

....Oh. "Bought". Dude, that's lame. That would have been hilarious if you paid over $50 for a program you had no idea about.
Omeganitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:59 PM   #4
iPatcH
Swamp Lemons Rule
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to iPatcH

Although some consider Fruity Loops the "fischer price xylophone" of music making tools, I know some IDM artists who make some AMAZING stuff in it (blaerg, aperson [lol]), and also people who make just amazing songs in particular (Kil).
Old 07-21-2005, 06:03 PM   #5
dancingmaniac3
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to dancingmaniac3

I barely started using Fruity Loops about a month ago........i still dont know what the hell im doing.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:34 PM   #6
BCLR
FFR Player

Thanks you Taco. Well I can't figure out how to use it, but I will keep fiddling around with it.

Sadly I just found out I "bought" the demo version, so after hearing that it if like the fidher price or whatever is there any better programs to make music with?
Old 07-21-2005, 06:34 PM   #7
Fusion4
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Fusion4

basically you get these loops of drums, instruments noises or whatever [a loop is a short segment that can be repeated in a pattern] and you arrange them to make a song. my guess is you have no loops therefore the program is usesless right now. go "buy" some loops and youll be all set, and read up in a tutorial i guess.
Fusion4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:00 PM   #8
SuperGreenX
Tangy music sauce maker
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to SuperGreenX

Eh FL is as good as you and the plugins you get for it. The stuff it comes with is quite meh, but if you get new VST's and know how to use em, you've got exactly the same capabilities as people with other software. There's nothing about FL that makes it bad. If you suck at FL and you buy $500 Cubase SX or Sonar and you use the same vst plugins, you're still going to suck. If you suck at FL, its because you suck. I'm not even a FL user or fan. The reason FL has this newb status is because of 14 yr old idiots who aren't really interested in making good music pirate it and produce shitty tracks "maed in FL OMG LOL".....see first post for an example in the making.

Wonderful Bite - New SGX Album! You can get it for free, yo!
SuperGreenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:21 PM   #9
BCLR
FFR Player

I admire your music and want to make something that is at least remotely close to decent. Yes I am a 14 year old and an Idiot on mostly every topic, but I don't want to get into an argument about it.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:33 PM   #10
sleeplessdragn
~Bang that beat Harder~

Default Re: RE: Fruity Loops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshox
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPatcH
Although some consider Fruity Loops the "fischer price xylophone" of music making tools
Like me.

It's good for beginners, buuuuuut that's about it.
Shox, you make me sad.

: ( <----- see?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:36 PM   #11
BCLR
FFR Player

Why does Shox make you sad?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:40 PM   #12
sleeplessdragn
~Bang that beat Harder~

Because I'm an avid FL user and Shox always be' dissin' my choice of software, fa sho.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:49 PM   #13
Kil-
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Kil-

It's not even that people suck, it's that they're lazy and not serious about music. If that's how you are, go away. If you're serious, the internet is a great educational resource; get busy.

I am genius, do what I say.
Kil- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:52 PM   #14
BCLR
FFR Player

Yes I am serious about making at least one song that is decent, I am trying to download the full version of FL and already downloaded the other two that SGX mentioned.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:18 PM   #15
Fusion4
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Fusion4

acidpro is a pretty decent loop-based software (it darn well better be if people buy it for 300 bucks) i can give it to you if you want, aim me if youre interested.
Fusion4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:27 PM   #16
BCLR
FFR Player

Ok thanks. I will email you sometime tommorrow. Sadly I downloaded the demo version again, hope I can find a good version on limewire.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:45 PM   #17
zajac
aka uAnimals
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to zajac

http://download.com/ugconcept

All of my music so far... All done in FLStudio Producer...

And I just started a month ago...
zajac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:50 PM   #18
BCLR
FFR Player

I checked out your stuff a bit ago, nice work, makes me wanna spend some time in fruity loops, just if I could find a version for download that isn't the demo version.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:10 AM   #19
senate7377
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to senate7377

(SIGH) - at teh risk of sounding elitist and egotsitical and arrogant - I'll put in my 2 cents here for you.

Fruity Loops is very "FISHER PRICE", as it was put when compared to other LOPP based mucis creation software: CuBase, WaveLab, Acid pro, etc. However, its a great starting point. This doesn't mean that its not something that CAN produce a professional level of music. I used to use FL when there was only FL2. I started again in 4 and played in 5. I can't stand it. Having good technical knowledge of CuBase, ProTools, and MOST of the NAtive Instruments programs; FL pales. There are a lot of record producers and so on that still use FL. Its not horrible, but again its not cutting edge and its got a problem with soudning hollow and semi-fake unless you completely MAKE your own sounds. It does have a lot to ffer in understanding the trade though. So, I'd use it as a starting point. I was really hesitant to post oanything in this section at all becuase its already the opinion that Im as ass with art, but if there is something I'm better at and know much more on - its EDM. Rather than go on and on about that, I'll stick to topic.

THE greatest thing about FL, is teh ability to see exactly what is happening while its happening, but to control it takes a bit of getting used to. I dont like the interface, so I'm not an avid user. I also have a vintage TB 303 and TR 808 so the EDM drum kits I dont really need. what it erally comes down to is, are YOU comfortable with it? Do YOU like the results you can get? If you answered yes, stick to it, but if you said no, try looking around at other programs, and always experiment with distorting hte sound. I've found that some sounds played by themselves suck balls, but add some variable beat behind it, and adjust your levels with the parametric and paragraphic EQ, you'll get something that you might like. There si a book out there called "HOW TO DJ RIGHT". Its not so much HOW to DJ, but hte theories that make the sounds work. Why things on a record are laid out the way they are and so on. Its an EXCELLENT resource for understanding music creation and what makes a good track go bad and how to fix a bad track to be good. Its kind of hard for me to explain, but it will help anyone in all sorts of areas as it was written by the industry leaders and has interviews with people like Squarepusher, AphexTwin, AMon TObin, Tiesto, Prodigy, all sorts of different EDM artists.

Another one is "Creating Melodies", and its a book that explains teh psychology of sound...like WHY certain sounds maker your hair stand on end. I know some sounds do that to me in a trance track, I got a buddy who has that happen in DnB and Jump-up. It wont tell y ou HOW to do, it but why and give the understanding on when a good time to use it in not only a set, but in a track as well.

Lastly I'd suggest a book called "Generation Ecstacy". It focuses on the club culture starting back in 1987 (I didnt get involved until 1992 when it bled from NY to DC), but its a good source for the apttern of change within the club sounds. A lot of "DJs" that use FL stick with stock samples and so on, it gives a outdated feel. They reliy on what they hear on teh radio or on a CD from about year ago. If you hear it onthe radio, chances are its already "cliche" in the club and it has been for about 2 years now. A record wont hit hte US until about 6-8 months after its been in Europe (but not always), and If you buy it on vinyl - the track is about a year old anyway and already been spun in a club by a mainstram DJ overseas. SO, my point is that this book kind of explains the trending of the culture so that you can understand its roots of the scene, and sort of predict what kind of sound you may want to ster towards or pioneer so that you remain on the cusp of tomorrow. Taking yesterdays sound to a record label with any credit, will get you over looked, I've seen it happen.

Again, I'm just offering my two cents, dont take it as a manifesto of any kind, but know that i DO know what I speak of in EDM, been a DJ for 6 years and been an active memeber of hte club culture for 12. this doesnt mean I know every DJ and every label or producer. I have zero interest in many of the sub-genres of Breaks, so that rules out DNB (though technically is a sub-sub-genre branching from Jungle).

I FULLY encourage you to learn and do it, enjoy it - It will take time and lots of effort to be able to really honestly contend with the producers out there, but dont let that discourage you. Read up and practice, practice, practice.
senate7377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:26 AM   #20
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

See, Fruity Loops is basic, and it's not really powerful, but that doesn't matter. FL was the first think I picked up and I got used to it... The thing is, it doesn't suck like shox said because it's not really the program you'll be using the most even though I'm working in it. You see, when I make music I'm usually using FL as my base... I use the piano roll and playlist and that's about it. I do a lot of drum work in Battery, melody programming in Absynth, Reaktor, impOscar, and Albino, and I usually use VST effects from places like mda, wavelabs, waves, and native instruments.

Yeah, FL is weak on its own, but as a base to work with VSTs in it's pretty strong. My only complaint is its very weak use of cpu optimization. Something that can churn away 80% cpu in FL is only pegging 20% in Ableton Live... and that's why I'm switching to Ableton Live, a program that sadly too few of you seem to mention.

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote