Old 07-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #321
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar
Default Re: Dark Chancellor Pack 2 (ITS HAPPENING.GIF) Submissions Open

also dl'd files playing now

Battle of BRS
-not that bad, has potential. rhythms get pretty repetitive after a while and I noticed a few 32nds missing in some drum parts. also the double hold jumps were a bit too much.

Bodom Beach Terror
-file is really fun, but GLoVE would have a fit seeing how inaccurate the guitar is stepped haha. the first verse that repeats has a really annoying gap where guitar is playing and it isn't stepped. also that solo is horrendous especially those 24th one handed trills.

Catastophie
-ait a few things about this file. I'd like to see those piano flam notes cleaned up a bit pattern wise during the chorus. the other sections I feel could use a bit of changeup in the accentuation since it becomes a little boring with the 16th slow jumpstream and the intermittent 32nds. also the end could be cut shorter arrow wise because it just drags on and barely anything is playing. I'd really like to see this get in because the song rules and the file was really fun.

Cruise Beast
-pretty awful 16th patterns. also idk if overlayering the start that much is really necessary. anyways my biggest issue is the patterns are horrid. pretty sure this could make it in. also 32nd walls really is this 2005

Funny Shuffle
-yes this ruled

Kaerimichi
-well someone was bound to do singles of this eventually. this probably would've been popular in 2006 but faced with today's standards is pretty weak. it's almost as bad as my solo file D:

Like a G666
-the fuck is this lol

Oriens
-autoaccept

Rydeen
-this file isn't bad by any standards but is uh...perhaps a little too easy? idk i'll let rebarf decide.

The Divine Comedy Reverse
-the 48th jack has to go. file is also a bit offsync (late -.04 or something). you always step the weirdest shit haha. aside from that jack this file is great.

Thorough Pinata Dicking Amateur XXX
-man the fuck happened to you

Warhead
-file is a bit of a dump, sorry.

Last edited by kommisar; 07-11-2014 at 03:34 PM..
Old 07-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #322
Kraezymann
Forum User
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via MSN to Kraezymann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebirth0 View Post
I explained earlier anything with FFR in the title usually gives off vibes of being shitty. It's a stigma that has been with any FFR named pack for the last 10 years
That is completely not true. The seasons packs that GD put together, FFCP3 and 4, are all quality, awesome packs. The amount of work that their respective creators put into them, the amount of people submitting, the amount of people who got better with each iteration and submission show me that the ffr packs have a way more communal, fun and creative attitude that is totally lacking from the hardcore "quality" packs. I'd much rather be a part of an ffr pack than a dark chancellors pack

Submit to this -
Old 07-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #323
Rebirth0
FFR Originalbro
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraezymann View Post
That is completely not true. The seasons packs that GD put together, FFCP3 and 4, are all quality, awesome packs. The amount of work that their respective creators put into them, the amount of people submitting, the amount of people who got better with each iteration and submission show me that the ffr packs have a way more communal, fun and creative attitude that is totally lacking from the hardcore "quality" packs. I'd much rather be a part of an ffr pack than a dark chancellors pack
Well you have your opinion and I have mine. This pack will ultimately not be called either of those
Old 07-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #324
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
I agree. I never had any negative feelings towards those packs, but who knows what people outside of the community think about such a title. Putting that aside this still isn't really FFR official so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The one name titles give me a sense of professionalism. In the end I think it is more important to simply have some good files to play. The title isn't going to make the files better.

Last edited by Izzy; 07-11-2014 at 03:26 PM..
Old 07-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #325
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

I've heard a lot of comments even recently about "lol FFR is a dump and only has shit files" because of the shitstain the simfile database was.

regardless of how much we know top grade packs have taken over other communities still think everyone makes bad files here.

also sent 4 files.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #326
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
I'm still trying to think of a good one word name for it, but Austere Anus Amalgamation is the best name suggestion yet
I would hope for a pack name that has a bit more dignity to it
Old 07-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #327
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

how about Fruit Salad Pack because we're all gay
Old 07-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #328
lurker
ur worst nitemare
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
Kaerimichi
-well someone was bound to do singles of this eventually
it was already done last year just with a few too many freezes

Quote:
That is completely not true. The seasons packs that GD put together, FFCP3 and 4, are all quality, awesome packs.
lmfao how wrong can you possibly be
ffrcp4 is the only good pack out of those but nobody's ever going to download that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollocephalus View Post
Can you not choose a completely retarded name like puritanical penis pack again por favor that 16yo comedy feels a bit outdated ukno
there's no reason to care about this because playing "dance mode" with a keyboard is always going to be treated as some extreme fringe group of stepmania
even a couple of the judges promote that viewpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
why not ffrcp5?
statistically speaking the only way this pack is going to get any more attention than the nuclear blast or hsmp series is by naming it "community keyboard megapack 5"
apparently people are totally okay with not knowing what the "community" is

Last edited by lurker; 07-11-2014 at 05:14 PM..
Old 07-11-2014, 05:50 PM   #329
Kraezymann
Forum User
FFR Simfile Author

I was just trying to defend the ffr community. Those packs were a project put together by the people of ffr and although maybe some of the early projects might not have been as highly regarded as recent ones, we still manage to make a few worthwhile packs (or at least one, according to you)

It shouldn't matter who likes it outside of ffr as long as we do, right? I'm not trying to attack anyone, I just find it hard to believe that no one would like our stuff

Submit to this -
Old 07-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #330
choof
Banned

the only other large stepmania community is SMOC
also chileans but the only one that cares even remotely about stepmania politics (rofl) is oldcartoon

how about #basedSMpack
Old 07-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #331
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Funny Shuffle:
There is an inconsistency at measure 26, where you have some 24ths, there is a pink note at the end of beat 1 that should have a jump/double, based on the way you step the same sounds around this part, and the same thing at measure 28 beat 3. I don't hear any sound differences in these spots so the steps should match what you have in the area. This is such a minor issue (but one that will have to be fixed), there is no need to resubmit this. Simply tell me which replacement notes you would like to put in these spots and I'll do it for you. The judges won't really see a change until I give them the first "beta release pack" unless they also want to change this themselves.
I checked measure 26 and the 24th jumps occur when there's either a juxtaposition of the scratch sounds + horns, or scratch sounds + bass drum. The place you mentioned only has scratches, hence one arrow there.
However, the horns follow along with the scratches at measure 28, so thanks for pointing it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargroup100 View Post
Funny Shuffle (bmah) - This is groovy as hell and totally fun. Only have a few minor points to make: Don't let holds get in the way of people reading your chart. A lot of heavy hold usage starts to obscure some of the sections, making them hard to read. The rolls would be much nicer if they weren't constantly pushing to one direction. Make them rattle around a bit, switch it up. Fix that and you're good to go.
I'm going to guess you're referring to the section 2/3rds through the song where there's a crazy synth going. The synth has some legato/portamento to it, and I feel that it's important to acknowledge that through holds. However, I've edited out a few holds and shortened 24th holds where the synth is highly modulated.
The rolls in the first and last parts of the song I felt were fine, considering the sound of the 32nds aren't preferential to pitch, so I could put them in whatever direction felt good - in this case, a repetition of rolling ascent in one direction was the idea I had. However, I've changed a number of the patterns for your suggestion.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #332
choof
Banned

Dead Horse Mania

so when someone AA's all the files they can say they beat it
Old 07-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #333
Razor
Dan "Razor" Devilz
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

hmm might send something

kinda lazy tho

also that better be Oriens full version
3rd: Retro City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers
I play Stepmania, so I know everything about media formats.

Last edited by Razor; 07-11-2014 at 07:52 PM..
Old 07-11-2014, 09:10 PM   #334
Rebirth0
FFR Originalbro
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Doesn't matter, the file is in another pack so it won't be in this one
Old 07-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #335
LoliRam
FFR Player

can i make a shitfile and submit it pls
Old 07-12-2014, 06:21 PM   #336
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

ya ofc
Old 07-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #337
ScylaX
urararararararara
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to ScylaX Send a message via Skype™ to ScylaX

I personally like the #basedSMpack title
Unpopular opinions

I'm starting to make good stuff to send to this pack, like good+actually fun files.
I'm hype
Old 07-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #338
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Quote:
That's not the issue here. The problem is that FFR has had a pretty bad reputation in the first place, and on top of everything, the name itself is something that ultimately harms our community, as its homage reference to DDR creates mental connections that assume this game is somehow related to a pad dance game. I like the Dark Chancellors name because it's a demonstrably quality pack that has no naming convention associated with a pad game such as FFR or Stepmania, and anyone outside of the community wouldn't know of any elitism and would simply enjoy the pack for what it is, and that's what the name carries.

When I was working on KBO, some admin here offered to give blast and me full power to change anything we wanted about the game, add/remove/modify literally just about anything we wanted, and the main reason we rejected the offer was because we didn't like the name of the site, and that was something that absolutely could not change.

This doesn't mean I don't think FFR packs can't be quality (I've submitted one of my best works to one and reviewed that same pack positively), but the name certainly doesn't help when you're promoting the pack for certain audiences.

Honestly, the whole elitist vs. non-elitist fighting is kind of ridiculous. Both sides have valid points. We shouldn't be elitist in the sense that it cuts out parts of the community, but the "elitism" does promote and encourage people to learn and improve. Just as I've let go of the stigma the FFR name has, others should also let go of the stigma Dark Chancellors has. The fact that this pack is open to public submissions, even if it does take on that name, indicates that we're open to acknowledging and developing new talent. And even if it doesn't take on that name, it doesn't mean we're gonna lighten up on our judging and give you free inclusion in the pack just to be nice to you. Rather than split the community, we should be working together to help each other.

"Hardcore quality" might be a descriptor you would use for certain packs, but I see it either as quality control or simply a different style altogether. This isn't 2009, we don't expect super technical charts or super artistic charts from anyone. We expect a good balance between the two (or an exceptional case of either). Rather than blame the community stigma, work on improving your own craft and getting better. Because if you start to get good, I guarantee there are plenty of intelligent players here who will recognize you and you WILL get noticed.

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music

Last edited by stargroup100; 07-12-2014 at 07:23 PM..
Old 07-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #339
Kraezymann
Forum User
FFR Simfile Author

No, I completely understand you, and rebirth now. As I said before, I just find it hard to believe there WAS a stigma attached to the name. It could be because I've never really been a part of any other community, or maybe I'm old fashioned, but the idea of FFR having such a poor reputation when it came to community simfiles just went over my head.

I didn't WANT to believe (nor did I really know) that my home Stepmania community had that sort of reputation, so the hackles went up when I was told that. I meant no disrespect to anyone, so I apologize to everyone esp. rebirth if I came off that way.

As for the whole elitism stuff, it's cool if people want to help us (re: beginner Stepmen like me) get better but when we get a two word reply or a sarcastic remark as a review, it doesn't help matters. As for me myself, I'd probably work on my files more and submit to other packs before bothering to submit to this one, you know what I mean?

Thank you for that reply though, I understand a bit more about the idea behind packs like this and the DC as a whole now

Submit to this -

Last edited by Kraezymann; 07-12-2014 at 08:03 PM..
Old 07-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #340
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Quote:
No, I completely understand you, and rebirth now. As I said before, I just find it hard to believe there WAS a stigma attached to the name. It could be because I've never really been a part of any other community, or maybe I'm old fashioned, but the idea of FFR having such a poor reputation when it came to community simfiles just went over my head.

I didn't WANT to believe (nor did I really know) that my home Stepmania community had that sort of reputation, so the hackles went up when I was told that. I meant no disrespect to anyone, so I apologize to everyone esp. rebirth if I came off that way.

As for the whole elitism stuff, it's cool if people want to help us (re: beginner Stepmen like me) get better but when we get a two word reply or a sarcastic remark as a review, it doesn't help matters. As for me myself, I'd probably work on my files more and submit to other packs before bothering to submit to this one, you know what I mean?

Thank you for that reply though, I understand a bit more about the idea behind packs like this and the DC as a whole now
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I also meant to direct that post to everyone, not just you, but I get where you're coming from now.

I also understand what you're talking about when you mention the two word reply/sarcastic remark. I don't like it either when judges do this, because I want packs to be a place where people are motivated enough to submit and then get serious live feedback.

Once again, I'd do more at the moment but I'm not home. When I get home I owe someone a full review and I need to judge the other charts too.

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music
Closed Thread