Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2011, 07:13 AM   #41
Stewie7Griffin
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Long distance relationships?

If you make plans to meet up on a specific date and he/she doesn't show or has some excuse to change the plans, end it. It will never happen.
Final Fantasy Last Battle Festival
Epidermis
Strangeprogram
Choprite
Novo Mundo

Could've swore I FC'd Thrash, but according to level stats it says I have 1 miss....
Stewie7Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #42
Panic4Me
o_o
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Panic4Me Send a message via MSN to Panic4Me Send a message via Skype™ to Panic4Me

Coming from someone who is currently in a long distance relationship:

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with them. Many people in the thread so far have said that they're not worth it and they don't work out, but as long as you're both committed to the relationship, it can happen. I have personally witnessed a few couples that started out their relationship long distance and are now living happily together. My ex's brother and his girlfriend met over World of Warcraft and began dating years ago. She lived in Washington state, he lived in Maryland, and they're living together and expecting a baby in a few months. Also looking at all of the posts involving one person cheating on the other: these relationships rely heavily on trust and honesty. If you have both and your minds are set on working through the distance, It. Can. Be. Done.

Being in a long distance relationship is nothing easy. I've seen my boyfriend (known to FFR as MetalAtlas) only twice. We stayed with friends for a few days together, then I spent a week in New Hampshire with him. He's coming down again next month for a week to visit. Our relationship is tough because of the distance, but for the time being I focus on the chances that I'll get to see him rather than worrying about exactly how long it will take (assuming we make it though these times) for us to be together for good. We talk every day (text/IM) and use Skype to see one another. It makes things a lot easier. (and if you have cams, you might want to give it a shot) We've talked about how hard long distance relationships can be but decided that we want to be together, even if it may take a few years for that to happen. He and I are both set on making our relationship last, so I believe that it will.

Tifferz<3 I'm happy for you for finding someone that makes you happy. If you want to be with him and you're both willing to wait and fight to make things work out between you, then there's no reason that it can't. I can tell you right now, there are going to be a lot of people that try to convince you otherwise and attempt to get you to break up. (as you've already seen) If it's what you really want, **** everyone who tries to stand in your way. (not literally, of course ) You always have my support.

♥R.I.P. Jellygod♥

Panic4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #43
welsh_girl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to welsh_girl Send a message via MSN to welsh_girl

Not for me. I've never done it and never will (I don't need to either as I'm in a 3+ year relationship, still).

I wouldn't have the pacience to wait to meet someone and also seeing them so little.
If other people can/will/want to - good for them and if it can work out and does work out then even better!
welsh_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #44
Artic_counter
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Hey, I just remembered; I haven't been in a relationship with a girl for like 9 years.

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU

Artic_counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #45
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

but you're 18...
Old 06-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #46
Sephiroth28
Snake Princess
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artic_counter View Post
Hey, I just remembered; I haven't been in a relationship with a girl for like 9 years.

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU
Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
but you're 18...
Rofl!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #47
Sand-Man
FFR Player

duuuuudeeee i totaly had the same thing happen.. i was dateing this SMOKEIN ASSED blonde.. she moved to sault st. marie canada.. ( i live in washington state)... i held onto that relationship for 7 ****ing years... ( am 20 now)... till she kinda dissapered and i couldnt find her online.. so i stalked her facebook and found out she was cheating on me..
Sand-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #48
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

If I didn't get to see my girlfriend for 7 years I'd cheat on her too.
darkshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #49
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

long distance relationships, yep, been there done that. It's doable but incredibly frustrating and it really is easier to see someone nearby if it's at all possible. But usually, you're in that position because your IRL partner had to move temporarily or go on a trip or do something for themselves (like go to a school far away or something idk). But I was in a long distance relationship for many years. It worked itself out again and again, and I had a lot of faith, and to me it was worth it. If your compatibility is low, you'll figure that out pretty quickly. If there are trust issues, abandonment issues, etc... they'll have to be put in their place pronto.

I don't think it's worth it unless you are deeply in love. Otherwise, you're mostly just wasting time. It can be a learning experience though, that's for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.
Syhto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #50
ChrisReams
Trap Music Producer
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic4Me View Post
Coming from someone who is currently in a long distance relationship:

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with them. Many people in the thread so far have said that they're not worth it and they don't work out, but as long as you're both committed to the relationship, it can happen. I have personally witnessed a few couples that started out their relationship long distance and are now living happily together. My ex's brother and his girlfriend met over World of Warcraft and began dating years ago. She lived in Washington state, he lived in Maryland, and they're living together and expecting a baby in a few months. Also looking at all of the posts involving one person cheating on the other: these relationships rely heavily on trust and honesty. If you have both and your minds are set on working through the distance, It. Can. Be. Done.

Being in a long distance relationship is nothing easy. I've seen my boyfriend (known to FFR as MetalAtlas) only twice. We stayed with friends for a few days together, then I spent a week in New Hampshire with him. He's coming down again next month for a week to visit. Our relationship is tough because of the distance, but for the time being I focus on the chances that I'll get to see him rather than worrying about exactly how long it will take (assuming we make it though these times) for us to be together for good. We talk every day (text/IM) and use Skype to see one another. It makes things a lot easier. (and if you have cams, you might want to give it a shot) We've talked about how hard long distance relationships can be but decided that we want to be together, even if it may take a few years for that to happen. He and I are both set on making our relationship last, so I believe that it will.

Tifferz<3 I'm happy for you for finding someone that makes you happy. If you want to be with him and you're both willing to wait and fight to make things work out between you, then there's no reason that it can't. I can tell you right now, there are going to be a lot of people that try to convince you otherwise and attempt to get you to break up. (as you've already seen) If it's what you really want, **** everyone who tries to stand in your way. (not literally, of course ) You always have my support.
You can do it! It's definitely worth it if you know you love them . The saying "good things come to those who wait" can be said. I believe it's "AMAZING things come to those who wait". The world is a huge place, and we can't expect to always find our perfect half living right beside us. Good luck to you and your relationship!

I also have a long distance relationship with a girl that I met on this very website! When we first met, I never knew what it would become. I added her on here. I noticed we both had tons of things in common and she was also very cute. After talking for a few months we both really fell for each other! I live on east coast and she is in mid-usa, about an 11 hour drive. She came and visited me. Following that, I visited her a month later, and then again another month later. It is very possible to make long distance relationships work guys! It is tough, of course; but you have to have a strong mind to handle it. If you truly love them, and see them as one-of-a-kind, then you will do anything in your power to make it work. It takes 2 very strong people, I will admit. However, the passion in a relationship like this is off the charts. When you do spend time with each other, as limited as it may be, it is pure bliss and 100% worth it completely.
ChrisReams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #51
ChrisReams
Trap Music Producer
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Kitten View Post
I figured this belongs here..

ANYWAY. So, I'm currently involved in a long distance relationship. Have been for 4 months. We've had our ups and down, but for the most part, we've both been happier than ever.

We both have people telling us that we might as well just give it up though, because long distance relationships never work. Now, whereas we're both pretty determined to prove all of them wrong, I can see why people tend to say this.

I don't even know why I'm posting this. So, FFR. What are *your* opinions on long distance relationships? Good, bad, no preference, whatever it is. I want to know.
Do not listen to people that say things like this. Everybody has a different opinion sure, and they're allowed to have it. However, it's rude to put somebody down for doing something that might not be typical or the norm. Some people have absolutely no faith in others. As well, some people have had bad experiences and believe its impossible just basing their opinion on past experiences. It IS possible. You and her are the ones that decide if it can work, and will work for the longrun. Regardless what anybody says or thinks, they have no deal in the matter. It's between those 2 people, and thats that. If you two care about each other to make it work, it will work.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #52
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

after reading this thread I think I'm confident enough to have a swedish girlfriend.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #53
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I'm going to have to chime in and say that long distance relationships are a bad idea if you have major life transitions on the horizon like college.

You run into the problem of potentially sacrificing huge opportunities only to find that the relationship tanks anyway, leaving you in a state of regret.

Pick your battles wisely, is all I'm saying.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #54
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

^

I ended up racking up some pretty hefty financial debt from sacrifices I made for the other person. Lost my job at one point even, didn't care as long as I was around her...I look back on it and see how stupid I was being. As much as you love the person, don't let it cloud your judgment.
darkshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #55
Thatskier
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Thatskier Send a message via Skype™ to Thatskier

Long distances relationships? Typically not legit. Rare to work out but its nerdy lol. Its almost as bad as match.com unless you have meet them IRL. I mean long distance really? Only way i can see people staying is by sexting LOL.... which is illegal btw.

......... They blow and are unleggittt
Dragons Fury: Custom Tournament #5 D1A: 1st Place

The Tournament of Immortality D1: 3rd Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
Let's put it this way: This file is fun.
Thatskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #56
LJRoX
Banned

^ coming from someone who said combat arms > cs 1.6
LJRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #57
hashishin0420
FFR Player

Oh boy! It took me quite some time to realize it, but LDRs only work if you're going to physically be together very very soon. Otherwise, a day will come when you don't have anything else to talk about and that when the awkward silence begins. At that point, your relationship is doomed, but you'll probably spend quite a few months in denial rambling about everything down to your cat's bowel movements to keep the ball rolling. On the other hand, if you're together physically and you run out of stuff to talk about, you can just sit and watch TV or play video games or something.
hashishin0420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #58
ChrisReams
Trap Music Producer
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatskier View Post
Long distances relationships? Typically not legit. Rare to work out but its nerdy lol. Its almost as bad as match.com unless you have meet them IRL. I mean long distance really? Only way i can see people staying is by sexting LOL.... which is illegal btw.

......... They blow and are unleggittt
It's nerdy that out of around 7 billion people you happen to like 1 person that doesn't live near you. You make complete sense, bro. I guess it's nerdy to ride a motorcycle and be chuck norris too by your logic.

Last edited by ChrisReams; 06-29-2011 at 09:20 PM..
Old 06-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #59
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I don't know why online dating gets such a bad rap. I've had great experiences with it. Call it nerdy, but I prefer having a site where you know everyone's looking for a relationship -- and where you can screen/ensure a certain quality first before you try anything. Far superior to trying to scout out bars or hook up with friends of friends of friends etc (which can always turn out awful).
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:17 AM   #60
Nyokou
( ̄ー ̄)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Nyokou

Yeah, LDR aren't that bad. They're kind of like normal relationships if you at least know what the other person looks like and sounds like.

Plus there are so many things you can do together from a long distance too if you share similar interests. And are a huge nerd. Like playing video games/computer games together, watching movies together, Skype~ing, etc whatever.

There's nothing to be embarrassed about anymore, sure, it would have been lulzy 10 years ago, but this is what people do now. You can't just limit yourself to the few thousands of people that live in your area. You're given the opportunity to meet people from all over the world that you never would have met otherwise and could even be the best ****ing person you will ever meet.

Shit, I met my boyfriend on ****ing GaiaOnline 6 years ago. And so? We're doing pretty ****ing great if I do say so myself.