Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #561
Jerry DB
FFR, lift, repeat
FFR Veteran

Default Re: The Fitness Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbmchamp View Post
I know what you mean. just cuz someone's strong doesn't mean they're a good fighter or just cuz someone's a good fighter doesn't make them strong. I guarantee i couldn't beat a lot of people who are fighters, mainly because my stamina sucks. Though i gotta say if i was a world champ fighter i still wouldn't want to take on ronnie coleman lol. I feel like some body builders are just so big that some fighters would just concede haha.
haha yea ronnie coleman would be a little crazy to fight but in my opinion anyone in the ufc who fights at 185 or higher would beat him. I mean anything could happen but when you kick a dude who does that much roids in their leg they will clot up and die lol. Plus he would be sooooo slow you could literally land whatever you wanted on him if you were at that skill level, and he wouldn't know how to handle it besides flailing and throwing those haymakers and looping hooks that big guys who can't fight do
Old 09-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #562
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

jerry. lets fight.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #563
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #564
ssbmchamp
Can't improve at this game.
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry DB View Post
haha yea ronnie coleman would be a little crazy to fight but in my opinion anyone in the ufc who fights at 185 or higher would beat him. I mean anything could happen but when you kick a dude who does that much roids in their leg they will clot up and die lol. Plus he would be sooooo slow you could literally land whatever you wanted on him if you were at that skill level, and he wouldn't know how to handle it besides flailing and throwing those haymakers and looping hooks that big guys who can't fight do
It would be like bowser vs. captain falcon...he might be slow and terrible at fighting but one hit would be like the equivalent of 3 of yours lol. aside from head shots i feel like normal stirkes wouldn't do much to a guy that massive. not saying he'd be undefeated forever but he'd def hold his own for quite some time i believe lol
ssbmchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #565
Jerry DB
FFR, lift, repeat
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmay View Post
jerry. lets fight.
I'm not ready to die yet!

bruce lee is crazy as **** and he revolutionized mma for sure, but now a days how it has evolved I don't think he would win every match for sure. I mean no doubt he would be champion at some point in ufc, but there would be certain styles that would beat him these days. When it comes to size though and bruce lee beating anyone, that may have been more true back then. Now a days I strongly believe a ton of ufc fighters would beat him in higher weights. Anderson silva is the new bruce lee, and mma has evolved. People these days are SOOOO much better then just 20 years ago. Remember even though bruce lee was insane, he is just human

also fighting is more about technique of course. Ronnie may deadlift 900 pounds and all that, but that doesn't mean he knows how to use his momentum and transfer all the energy from his legs to his hips to his core to his shoulders. He has very limited range of motion therefore his punching power would be smaller then you would think. Remember it's technique, speed, and mass that truly gives you a powerful punch. Also 2 words, low single. I gurentee Dos santos and Velasquez punch twice as hard as ronnie

Last edited by Jerry DB; 09-13-2012 at 08:07 PM..
Jerry DB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #566
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry DB View Post
I'm not ready to die yet!

bruce lee is crazy as **** and he revolutionized mma for sure, but now a days how it has evolved I don't think he would win every match for sure. I mean no doubt he would be champion at some point in ufc, but there would be certain styles that would beat him these days. When it comes to size though and bruce lee beating anyone, that may have been more true back then. Now a days I strongly believe a ton of ufc fighters would beat him in higher weights. Anderson silva is the new bruce lee, and mma has evolved. People these days are SOOOO much better then just 20 years ago. Remember even though bruce lee was insane, he is just human

also fighting is more about technique of course. Ronnie may deadlift 900 pounds and all that, but that doesn't mean he knows how to use his momentum and transfer all the energy from his legs to his hips to his core to his shoulders. He has very limited range of motion therefore his punching power would be smaller then you would think. Remember it's technique, speed, and mass that truly gives you a powerful punch. Also 2 words, low single. I gurentee Dos santos and Velasquez punch twice as hard as ronnie
I dunno, I'm pretty sure Bruce wouldnt be matched up against people in the heavier weight classes, and even then he'd give a really good showing if not win.

Ronnie is one of those freaks who know how to contract every muscle in his body. He's also a trained police officer, so I'm pretty sure he's got a vague idea how to punch/fight
Senip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #567
Jerry DB
FFR, lift, repeat
FFR Veteran

yea you make good points and anything can happen I suppose. Too bad it's just one of those things that you can't really test with specific names like that, But when you looks at guys like bob sapp punch and get his shit rocked by cro cop who is 100 pounds lighter, you start to get an idea of what I mean. It's really just a matter of the fact that ronnie coleman doesn't train in mma. I mean he is a police officer and that's great and all, but that doesn't mean shit in the world of mma unless you apply it. Not trying to take anything from ronnie or anything, he is superb, but his sport is bodybuilding. As we have seen in countless situations, bodybuilders cannot compete in mma like they usually think they can. Just like a majority of mma fighters don't have the genetics to be a massive bodybuilder. To each their own, I just feel like mma fighters work SO hard to get to the professional level and i have a ton of experience and proving big guys wrong, not me specifically every time but my friends as well. They love to prove what fighting technique really means.

As for bruce lee I was definitely agreeing he kicks ass. Let's put it this way, if bruce lee was born 23 years ago and trained in mma like he did wing chung and all that stuff he would be champion. He was so gifted, but it's not like there aren't fighters who aren't close to as gifted as him. It only takes one person on a good night with the right style though to close it. Lets face it mma is way more popular then it was in his day. I'm not saying that means he wasn't a legend, I just think people should be a little more realistic and understand bruce lee was a man and not a god.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #568
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Having tried to wrestle someone that is on the juice before and about 240 lb 5'9-5'10 (so still no Ronnie by a long shot), I can say that the outcome of the fight will depend on whether or not they get ahold of you.

Because if they do, you lose. As a trained fighter, there wasn't much I could do at that point. I couldn't actually move any limbs he managed to grab, and once I got tossed on the ground he sat on me in jest and I felt like I was going to die.

That and hitting them anywhere other than the face or the nuts seems to be entirely ineffective.

So I mean, closed cage fight with rules Ronnie coleman would destroy Bruce lee, but hey, in a real fight he'd have a chance.

edit: apparently that synthol idiot is actually going into the books? LOL? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pict...-pictures.html

That is just...what? It's not even his bicep, since it's not muscle. At least they could title it correctly 'World's biggest arms", in which this record can easily be broken via injection. Asinine decision; this record will probably get revoked in the future.

World's biggest bicep...is probably: http://storage.sfd.pl/1/images2006/20060314144149.jpg

If not, it's pretty close.

Last edited by Reach; 09-14-2012 at 11:07 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #569
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Because I don't think I've showed you guys, this is my strongest genetic point. My legs.

What are your genetic strong points? Which body part do you think you'll accel in?
Old 09-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #570
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

OK, re-update on everything. New plan:

Workout:

3 sets dumbbell press, 8-12 reps
3 sets tricep extensions, 8-12 reps
3 sets shoulder press, 8-12 reps
3 sets bent-over dumbbell rows, left arm, 8-12 reps
3 sets bent-over dumbbell rows, right arm, 8-12 reps
3 sets bicep curls, left + right arm, 8-12 reps per arm (6 sets total)
3 sets lunges, left leg, 8-12 reps
3 sets lunges, right leg, 8-12 reps

Schedule:

Monday: Workout + 20 minutes LISS
Tuesday: 10 minutes HIIT
Wednesday: Workout + 20 minutes LISS
Thursday: 10 minutes HIIT
Friday: Workout + 20 minutes LISS
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Rest

Stats:

Weight: 226 pounds
Height: 6 foot 2 inches
TDEE: ~2500 calories estimated via MSJ equation
Deficit: 500 calories
Calories to consume daily: 2000 calories
Bodyfat percentage: ~35% (48 inches around abdomen @ the navel)
LBM: ~150 lbs

Diet:

Protein: 150 g [1 g per lb LBM]
Fats: 75 g [.5 g per lb LBM]
Carbs: 180 g [(TDEE-deficit-4*protein-9*fats)/4]

Nutrients/etc:
Sodium: 1500-2000 mg
Dietary fiber: 28 g
Water/fluid intake: 1 gallon

Multivitamin = ?

Anyone have any recs for multivitamin? I am also worried about not getting enough calcium/etc even with a multi (I hate cottage cheese and I am not sure about what to get for yogurt since I've never eaten it).

I mean jesus, so much calcium is needed:

http://www.nichd.nih.gov/milk/prob/other_foods.cfm
Old 09-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #571
infinity.
sideways 8
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to infinity.

your calves look silly weak compared to your thighs

in response to your question, my legs, post pics after class, but runners legs

nerds
infinity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #572
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
OK, re-update on everything. New plan:

Workout:

3 sets dumbbell press, 8-12 reps
3 sets tricep extensions, 8-12 reps
3 sets shoulder press, 8-12 reps
3 sets bent-over dumbbell rows, left arm, 8-12 reps
3 sets bent-over dumbbell rows, right arm, 8-12 reps
3 sets bicep curls, left + right arm, 8-12 reps per arm (6 sets total)
3 sets lunges, left leg, 8-12 reps
3 sets lunges, right leg, 8-12 reps

Schedule:

Monday: Workout + 20 minutes LISS
Tuesday: 10 minutes HIIT
Wednesday: Workout + 20 minutes LISS
Thursday: 10 minutes HIIT
Friday: Workout + 20 minutes LISS
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Rest

Stats:

Weight: 226 pounds
Height: 6 foot 2 inches
TDEE: ~2500 calories estimated via MSJ equation
Deficit: 500 calories
Bodyfat percentage: ~35% (48 inches around abdomen @ the navel)
LBM: ~150 lbs

Diet:

Protein: 150 g [1 g per lb LBM]
Fats: 75 g [.5 g per lb LBM]
Carbs: 180 g [(TDEE-deficit-4*protein-9*fats)/4]

Nutrients/etc:
Sodium: 1500-2000 mg
Dietary fiber: 28 g
Water/fluid intake: 1 gallon

Multivitamin = ?

Anyone have any recs for multivitamin? I am also worried about not getting enough calcium/etc even with a multi (I hate cottage cheese and I am not sure about what to get for yogurt since I've never eaten it).

I mean jesus, so much calcium is needed:

http://www.nichd.nih.gov/milk/prob/other_foods.cfm
Don't worry too much about your calcium intake. Just eat clean, track your caloric intake, you should be ok. Any multivitamin is fine. I don't take them personally, but that's just me.

The work out looks good. Confused me for a second dividing the sets by limb, but whatever's easier for you. You should see good results from what you have set up there. Just be patient, you'll get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity. View Post
your calves look silly weak compared to your thighs

in response to your question, my legs, post pics after class, but runners legs
My calves are quite large in comparison to most people, but yeah, they're nothing compared to my quads. For my calf raises I usually do 2 sets of 25 with 90lbs added. My legs definitely dwarf my upper body, which I'm working to fix.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #573
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Is it still "counted" as one set even if you're applying it to each limb? Like one set of dumbbell presses = works out both arms with 8-12 reps, but one set of rows = 8-12 reps per arm?

Also, compiled some data for recommended mineral/vitamin intakes (males 19-30):

Calcium: 1000 mg [max tolerable 2500 mg]
Chromium: 35 mcg
Copper: 1.5 mg [max tolerable 10000 mcg]
Iodine: 150 mcg [max tolerable 1100 mcg]
Iron: 9 mg [max tolerable 45 mg]
Magnesium: 400 mg [max tolerable from supplements 350 mg, does not include intake from food/water]
Manganese: 2.3 mg [max tolerable 11 mg]
Molybdenum: 45 mcg [max tolerable 2000 mcg]
Phosphorus: 700 mg [max tolerable 4000 mg]
Potassium: 4.7 g
Selenium: 70 mcg [max tolerable 400 mcg]
Sodium: 1.5 g [max tolerable 2.3 g]
Zinc: 15 mg [max tolerable 40 mg]

Vitamin A: 900 mcg [max tolerable 3000 mcg]
Vitamin B1 (thiamine): 1.2 mg
Vitamin B2 (riboflavin): 1.3 mg
Vitamin B3 (niacin): 16 mg [max tolerable 35 mg]
Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid): 5 mg
Vitamin B6 (pryidoxine): 1.3 mg [max tolerable 100 mg]
Vitamin B9 (folate/folic acid): 400 mcg [max tolerable 1000 mcg]
Vitamin B12: 2.4 mcg
Vitamin C: 90 mg [max tolerable 2000 mg]
Vitamin D: 15 mcg [max tolerable 100 mcg]
Vitamin E: 15 mg [max tolerable 1000 mg]
Vitamin K: 120 mcg
Biotin: 30 mcg

Dietary Fiber: 38 g
Water: 3.7 liters

http://www.iom.edu/Activities/Nutrit...bles%201-4.pdf
http://www.healthalternatives2000.co...ion-chart.html
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...e_minerals.asp

I know a lot of this stuff is probably seen as "wayyy overthinking things" but again, this is a long-term lifestyle change so I'm really trying to squeeze the most out of this ol' biomachine and keep it living as long as possible with everything working well.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 09-14-2012 at 01:12 PM..
Old 09-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #574
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Is it still "counted" as one set even if you're applying it to each limb? Like one set of dumbbell presses = works out both arms with 8-12 reps, but one set of rows = 8-12 reps per arm?

Also, compiled some data for recommended mineral/vitamin intakes (males 19-30):

Calcium: 1000 mg [max tolerable 2500 mg]
Chromium: 35 mcg
Copper: 1.5 mg [max tolerable 10000 mcg]
Iodine: 150 mcg [max tolerable 1100 mcg]
Iron: 9 mg [max tolerable 45 mg]
Magnesium: 400 mg [max tolerable from supplements 350 mg, does not include intake from food/water]
Manganese: 2.3 mg [max tolerable 11 mg]
Molybdenum: 45 mcg [max tolerable 2000 mcg]
Phosphorus: 700 mg [max tolerable 4000 mg]
Potassium: 4.7 g
Selenium: 70 mcg [max tolerable 400 mcg]
Sodium: 1.5 g [max tolerable 2.3 g]
Zinc: 15 mg [max tolerable 40 mg]

Vitamin A: 900 mcg [max tolerable 3000 mcg]
Vitamin B1 (thiamine): 1.2 mg
Vitamin B2 (riboflavin): 1.3 mg
Vitamin B3 (niacin): 16 mg [max tolerable 35 mg]
Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid): 5 mg
Vitamin B6 (pryidoxine): 1.3 mg [max tolerable 100 mg]
Vitamin B9 (folate/folic acid): 400 mcg [max tolerable 1000 mcg]
Vitamin B12: 2.4 mcg
Vitamin C: 90 mg [max tolerable 2000 mg]
Vitamin D: 15 mcg [max tolerable 100 mcg]
Vitamin E: 15 mg [max tolerable 1000 mg]
Vitamin K: 120 mcg
Biotin: 30 mcg

Dietary Fiber: 38 g
Water: 3.7 liters

http://www.iom.edu/Activities/Nutrit...bles%201-4.pdf
http://www.healthalternatives2000.co...ion-chart.html
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...e_minerals.asp

I know a lot of this stuff is probably seen as "wayyy overthinking things" but again, this is a long-term lifestyle change so I'm really trying to squeeze the most out of this ol' biomachine and keep it living as long as possible with everything working well.
I just look at my rows and lunges as one set. For my lunges, I just do 20, that counts as 10 for each leg. For my rows, I just do 12 each arm, but I don't divide it by set cause it would just confuse the hell out of me. Like I said, whatever is easier for you haha, there's nothing wrong with how you have it written :P

Overthinking for what you're doing, yes. If you were competing, probably not so much
Old 09-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #575
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I am not sure about what to get for yogurt since I've never eaten it.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #576
Senip
Forum User

http://www.dpsnutrition.net/i/13318/...in-120-cap.htm

http://www.dpsnutrition.net/i/4605/u...ks-44-pack.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sport/multiv.html

If you take pak, only take 1 a day, rather than the 2. 2 is for competing athletes doing a cut.

3 top supps: 1. Good multivitamin (no, not a 1 a day shit or whatever in walmart), 2) creatine, c) fish oil.
Senip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #577
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I am also reading that people like Orange Triads?

Right now I am using http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11098484

That Animal Pak thing looks interesting, though... pricey, however

EDIT: I believe the fish oil I bought is http://www.vitaplus4u.com/product_im...82443_zoom.jpg also from Costco

Last edited by Reincarnate; 09-14-2012 at 03:28 PM..
Old 09-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #578
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
I think you should be eating less if your TDEE is 2500.

You're not really concerned with bodybuilding at this point. You want the weight off. Eat less than that. 2000 is what someone much leaner would be eating on a muscle preservation cut or something.

If you can handle it, bump down to 1500. You can increase your dietary intake later.

Now, on the other hand, the best diets are the most consistent, so if it's too hard it might not be an option, but it will be worth it. There are no negative side effects to bumping down to 1500 at this point. I just worry you'll end up spinning wheels trying to hit 2000, because if your calorie counting is off at all in the wrong direction your weight loss is going to be painfully slow.

I like your macro ratios though.

Last edited by Reach; 09-14-2012 at 03:41 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #579
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

The reason I went to 2000 instead of 1500 is because I feared the carbs were too low. When using a 1500 benchmark:

Protein: 150 g
Fats: 75 g
Carbs: 56 g

It might be OK, but I wasn't sure. Didn't want to compensate by putting fats too low as to interfere with organ function or something.\

BTW, the machines in my gym (are any of these better/worth adding to the exercise routine I detailed above?):

shoulder incline bench
bicep curl, tricep pushdown
low row, lat pulldown
leg extension, leg curl

Last edited by Reincarnate; 09-14-2012 at 04:30 PM..
Old 09-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #580
ssbmchamp
Can't improve at this game.
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Having tried to wrestle someone that is on the juice before and about 240 lb 5'9-5'10 (so still no Ronnie by a long shot), I can say that the outcome of the fight will depend on whether or not they get ahold of you.

Because if they do, you lose. As a trained fighter, there wasn't much I could do at that point. I couldn't actually move any limbs he managed to grab, and once I got tossed on the ground he sat on me in jest and I felt like I was going to die.

That and hitting them anywhere other than the face or the nuts seems to be entirely ineffective.

So I mean, closed cage fight with rules Ronnie coleman would destroy Bruce lee, but hey, in a real fight he'd have a chance.
Maybe it was just the wording you used, or the visual I had in my head or even both but I literally burst out laughing when you said "if they do, you lose" lol! I completely agree though, like you said only real way is nuts or face because I don't think world class fighters could ever over power a professional body builder in terms of just brute strength.
ssbmchamp is offline   Reply With Quote