Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-6-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
madmatt621
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to madmatt621 Send a message via AIM to madmatt621 Send a message via MSN to madmatt621 Send a message via Yahoo to madmatt621 Send a message via Skype™ to madmatt621
Default Wii Preview: Mario Strikers Charged

Hey Nintendo, thanks for nothing. As if my friends weren't already spending too much time sitting on my couch and eating up all my food, you just had to go and introduce Mario Strikers Charged, didn't you?

Now, those idiot friends of mine have permanently taken up residence on my couch and I can't regain control of my living room and--what's that? Oh, it's my turn to play? Sorry, Nintendo, I have to go.

Futbol Italiano

Ah, soccer. It truly is the king of sports. Sure, it's underappreciated in the States but world wide, you can't find a sport that rivals it in terms of its popularity or the effect that it can have on its rabid fan base. Strikers Charged won't change your mind about soccer, as it isn't a realistic sim of the game by any stretch of the imagination, so if you weren't a fan of the sport going in, you probably won't be one coming out. What Strikers Charged will do, however, is convince you that soccer can be fun if it's played by a bunch of characters from the Mario universe on insane courses with outrageous power moves.
Each game in Strikers Charged features two five-player teams going at it on a field that's roughly the size of a hockey rink. No kicking the ball three miles down the field here. Each team has a captain, three sidekicks, and a goalie (which cannot be selected and is always the crocodile-like Kritter from Donkey Kong Country). Captains are predominately major characters from the Mario universe, such as Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Donkey Kong, each with their own special offensive abilities. For example, Mario grows to five-hundred times his normal size and rampages around the pitch while Wario sprays a foul fart mist and disorients players of the opposing team by mixing up their controls.
Picking Sides

Selecting your players requires some thought as every character in Mario Strikers Charged has their own unique attributes, fake outs, and special moves. When a player charges a shot on goal with a captain, they perform a Mega Strike, which launches your character into the sky in an over-the-top Dragon Ball Z-like sequence; depending on how successful you were at getting the kick off, the ball will multiply and fly at the goal at blazing speeds. The opposing player must then stop each strike or risk giving up multiple goals.
While the Mega Strikes are difficult to pull off, a good player will be able to take advantage often, which can lead to some balancing issues. Still, the game allows you to quickly make up ground, so you never feel as if you're stuck in a lopsided game with no hope of redemption.
Thankfully, the controls work with you, not against you. They're not overly complicated but they do take some time to get accustomed. This is especially true because there are quite a few different moves you will perform during a soccer match other than just passing and kicking. The Nunchuk is used to move around on the field, and use Power-Ups like banana peels and the Chain Chomp, which is a canine-like monster that chases and chews up players on the other team.
The Wii Remote is used for just about everything else you can do in the game, such as passing, shooting, body checking, slide tackling, and blocking incoming balls as the goalie. If you need some practice with the controls, the Strikers 101 mode includes 10 lessons that will guide you through the basics such as using Power-Ups and carrying out Mega Strikes.
madmatt621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-6-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
EAGAMES
Y0FACE!
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Wii Preview: Mario Strikers Charged

Too long!!!

I gave up reading after taking control of your living room and couch... etc.
EAGAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-6-2007, 03:58 PM   #3
Tibs
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Tibs

hey britishbmx/madmatt/whatever why did you post that as if it was your own article

you should probably leave a link to here so people don't think you're an enormous tool
Tibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-6-2007, 05:29 PM   #4
madmatt621
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to madmatt621 Send a message via AIM to madmatt621 Send a message via MSN to madmatt621 Send a message via Yahoo to madmatt621 Send a message via Skype™ to madmatt621

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
hey britishbmx/madmatt/whatever why did you post that as if it was your own article

you should probably leave a link to here so people don't think you're an enormous tool
I guess I can do that instead.
madmatt621 is offline   Reply With Quote