Old 02-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #141
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson
Default Re: Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by korny View Post
The thing is, is that your anecdotal evidence completely goes against what is known to be the truth about what marijuana does for those who either have epilepsy, or are more prone to getting a seizure.
{{Citation needed}}

Quote:
Marijuana actually sooths and controls seizures by dulling the eletrical activity in between the brain-between the axon and synapse-by the method of thc.
{{Citation needed}}

Quote:
Thc itself is anti-conductive of eletricity because it is a waxy like substance so I find your statement a little hard to believe considering that seizures are caused by excessive neuronal activity within the brain.
{{Citation needed}}

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #142
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame

http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/307/1/129.full

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
Here, using the rat pilocarpine model of epilepsy, we show that the marijuana extract Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (10 mg/kg) as well as the cannabimimetic, 4,5-dihydro-2-methyl-4(4-morpholinylmethyl)-1-(1-naphthalenyl-carbonyl)-6H-pyrrolo[3,2,1-i,j]quinolin-6-one [R(+)WIN55,212 (5 mg/kg)], completely abolished spontaneous epileptic seizures. Conversely, application of the cannabinoid CB1 receptor (CB1) antagonist, N-(piperidin-1-yl-5-(4-chlorophenyl)-1-(2,4-dichlorophenyl)-4-methyl-1H-pyrazole-3-carboxamidehydrochloride (SR141716A), significantly increased both seizure duration and frequency. In some animals, CB1 receptor antagonism resulted in seizure durations that were protracted to a level consistent with the clinical condition status epilepticus. Furthermore, we determined that during an short-term pilocarpine-induced seizure, levels of the endogenous CB1 ligand 2-arachidonylglycerol increased significantly within the hippocampal brain region. These data indicate not only anticonvulsant activity of exogenously applied cannabinoids but also suggest that endogenous cannabinoid tone modulates seizure termination and duration through activation of the CB1 receptor.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #143
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido123 View Post
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s777336.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2402434.htm

Weed can have darker side effects. It's a catalyst to schizophrenia, and probably has other effects on the mental health of people. When I smoked more heavily than I currently do, I got paranoid. Not the kind of paranoia where I thought people were out to get me, but I over-analysed everything in my life and focused on negative aspects on my life to a great extent. I know other people who have similar experiences to me, and have lost a lot of direction in their life. I also know people who don't have this problem at all. Overall I'd say weed is a safe drug though, alcohol is far more dangerous in my opinion, but there are a lot of people who experience negative mental side-effects with heavy use of it.
Sounds like it was your fault to me. Mental preparedness is a key factor when choosing to use drugs. Not trying to call you out on it, only suggesting that perhaps it wasn't a good idea to use anything heavily or continuously if you were unstable. But that's just what happens, when people get caught in a rut. Still, the drug isn't really at fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.

Last edited by Syhto; 02-28-2011 at 06:19 PM..
Syhto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #144
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I've never taken any illegal drugs but I've had high doses of laughing gas. I can say that I don't prefer to be in that state of mind. I like to be as conscious as I can be. I'm sure some people like being that way, but it's not for me.

My only experience with laughing gas was pretty bothersome actually. Aside from my body feeling really heavy to the point where I couldn't control my limbs I could swear my head was playing tricks on me. I could think perfectly rationally but everything felt so surreal that I couldn't tell if I was actually thinking rationally. My vision was fine at first and then everything from the right smeared across to the left to the point where it looked like windows lagging and dragging a window across the screen. The people were talking about thanksgiving or something and I could swear they were just repeating the same sentence over and over.

Last edited by Izzy; 02-28-2011 at 06:15 PM..
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #145
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syhto View Post
Sounds like it was your fault to me. Mental preparedness is a key factor when choosing to use drugs.
This sounds like a really ez way to just ignore any possible downside of a drug. "O obv u just werent mentally prepared."

Pretty fucen stupid Syhto, I was pretty mentally prepared for the times I did LSD and it left me w/ somethin close to anxiety disorder for awhile just bc of its mechanism of action.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #146
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

OK. I know. It doesn't always apply, especially with more intense drugs. There's no way to be prepared for some things. Smoking a lot of pot is diff. than taking acid. I'm kind of biased with my entire PoWeR of da MinD philosophy

But I've definitely been there

I think my point is more that we have to respect the power of drugs, respect our own limits, take it one step at a time and learn how to cope with what happens to us. It makes more sense to me to do that than just make it all illegal, spread lies around, propagate shit to deter people from using in obtuse ways.
Quote:
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.

Last edited by Syhto; 02-28-2011 at 06:38 PM..
Old 02-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #147
HoneyMelonCalibrator
Arrow Theory™
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HoneyMelonCalibrator Send a message via MSN to HoneyMelonCalibrator

Izzy, your laughing gas was laced with LSD.
諸行無常の響あり。
娑羅雙樹の花の色、
盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。
おごれる人も久しからず、
唯春の夜の夢のごとし。
たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、
偏に風の前の塵に同じ。
HoneyMelonCalibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #148
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
{{Citation needed}}

{{Citation needed}}

{{Citation needed}}
http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/...s/epilepsy.cfm

http://www.wildwoodhealth.com/index....juana-be-legal

korny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #149
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyMelonCalibrator View Post
Izzy, your laughing gas was laced with LSD.
Gas laced with liquid lol. I wouldn't have thought laughing gas could produce any kind of hallucinations but I guess too much of anything can do it. Maybe they just didn't notice how high they had it on.

Quote:
Nitrous oxide can cause analgesia, depersonalization, derealization, dizziness, euphoria, and some sound distortion.[26] Research has also found that it increases suggestibility and imagination.[27] Inhalation of nitrous oxide for recreational use, with the purpose to cause euphoria and slight hallucinations, began as a phenomenon for the British upper class in 1799, known as "laughing gas parties"
I guess there you have it. It was depersonalization, derealization, sound distortion and moderate hallucinations.

Last edited by Izzy; 02-28-2011 at 07:21 PM..
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #150
Mans0n
Sun and Stars
FFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Mans0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I guess there you have it. It was depersonalization, derealization, sound distortion and moderate hallucinations.
when you explain it that way it sounds unappealing but the actual feeling is amazing. I've always thought it would be cool to be schizophrenic for a short period of time just for the hell of it. and that's pretty much acid for ya though I've never actually dropped acid before. Just have done mushrooms a number of times.

Check out my band profile and give it a like! :P
Mans0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #151
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

itt stupidity
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #152
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame

i*t stupidity

Old 02-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #153
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Quote:
wat
Quote:
Old 02-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #154
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny

Quote:
wat
"Marijuana interferes with normal brain waves; it also depresses the electrical activity of the frontal cortex--the very seat of character and moral power. This has been shown and measured not only electronically but also by new brain-scanning methods"

Something a bit more comprehensive
http://www.phillynorml.org/documents...0Marijuana.pdf

I believe the term were looking for is "retrograde transmission"
korny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #155
ffraxis
FFR Player

can we move on to other drugs please.

its nice and all that people discuss marijuana but seriously its not the only drug out there, and you know what, if you don't you know much about other drugs that's fine, but still this whole discussion on drugs does not just revolve around cannabis.

seems to me like many people lack some background information on other drugs than cannabis, for some reason the majority of people pertain to either cannabis or alcohol since they are both readily studied, but still

Also since we hopefully will try and change the subject from marijuana to other drugs, life experiences are good information as well, the science should be left to people who have studied it and can form more supportive conclusions (if you happen to be an expert, enlighten us please).
ffraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-1-2011, 04:52 PM   #156
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Sounds like it was your fault to me. Mental preparedness is a key factor when choosing to use drugs. Not trying to call you out on it, only suggesting that perhaps it wasn't a good idea to use anything heavily or continuously if you were unstable. But that's just what happens, when people get caught in a rut. Still, the drug isn't really at fault.
I completely agree with you, however it doesn't change the fact that marijuana isn't always a good thing for your mental health. it also has positive effects on mental health though because at least in my case it allows me to view life without any "filters" or biases I have, allowing me to look at my life, and everything else in my life for what it really is, which is why I might have been depressed when I first started doing it when I was 16 cause I had a lot going on in my life that was kinda ****ed up but I didn't really even give much thought about it.

Anyways it's just all personal experience, I know people who don't even like the feeling of being high on weed and I can't even relate to that lol.

Also I know this is slightly off-topic but can anybody give me their opinion shrooms/salivia? I'm kinda curious about them, although I do have a fairly addictive personality, and it will make me more likely to do other drugs but from my research, shrooms at least seem really harmless, and not addictive as I've read you can really only get the effects from them on a monthly basis due to tolerance.

Last edited by fido123; 03-1-2011 at 04:59 PM..
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-1-2011, 05:43 PM   #157
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

You can do mushrooms once a week. (not advised tho) They're pretty safe. 2.5g+ is a normal dose. They can cause nausea. I find the trip to be somewhat dark, but overall; emotional, intense, interesting. It can really bring you down if you aren't careful. Everyone has different experiences. Sometimes, they're very visual, other times, very introspective. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to become addicted to mushrooms. Trip is like, 6 hrs. Starts dropping off after 3 or so. Personally, not a big fan.

http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms.shtml

Salvia is pretty safe as well. The 'trip' is intense and dramatic, but fleeting. You have to smoke/ingest it properly to get the effect. There are different extracts, but it all comes from a leafy plant. Lasts a few minutes. Personally, I really like it.

http://www.erowid.org/plants/salvia/salvia_faq.shtml
Quote:
Old 03-4-2011, 06:27 AM   #158
Vendetta21
Sectional Moderator
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vendetta21

This topic is dumb from the start because there are so many psychoactive pharmaceuticals and naturally occurring chemicals out there that have such a varying degree of effects and legality that you really can't have a meaningful discussion with a term as broad as "drugs."

For instance, BK-MDMA is currently legal to posses in the United States and is an analog of MDMA, which is illegal, while having much of the same effects. The legality of the drug is due to the fact that it is patented as an anti-depressant and is harder to synthesize compared to MDMA making it somewhat unknown and scarce.

There are a variety of other legal drugs out there that have such a wide range of effects (Oxy, Vicodin, Adderall, Alcohol) and illegal drugs that have less dangerous effects (THC, Psilocybin.)

When thinking about recreational drug use we cannot ignore the fact that brain chemistry has an overwhelming relevance in our enjoyment of life (Xanax, Vitamin D deficiency, SSRIs) and so it's better to look at recreational drugs on a case-by-case basis. You really can't paint such a broad brush here.

Last edited by Vendetta21; 03-4-2011 at 06:31 AM..
Vendetta21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2011, 02:10 PM   #159
ffraxis
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
This topic is dumb from the start because there are so many psychoactive pharmaceuticals and naturally occurring chemicals out there that have such a varying degree of effects and legality that you really can't have a meaningful discussion with a term as broad as "drugs."

For instance, BK-MDMA is currently legal to posses in the United States and is an analog of MDMA, which is illegal, while having much of the same effects. The legality of the drug is due to the fact that it is patented as an anti-depressant and is harder to synthesize compared to MDMA making it somewhat unknown and scarce.

There are a variety of other legal drugs out there that have such a wide range of effects (Oxy, Vicodin, Adderall, Alcohol) and illegal drugs that have less dangerous effects (THC, Psilocybin.)

When thinking about recreational drug use we cannot ignore the fact that brain chemistry has an overwhelming relevance in our enjoyment of life (Xanax, Vitamin D deficiency, SSRIs) and so it's better to look at recreational drugs on a case-by-case basis. You really can't paint such a broad brush here.
that's because this topic is supposed to be broad, we are not just talking about one group of drugs.

its a general discussion open for anyone.
ffraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-5-2011, 05:13 AM   #160
Vendetta21
Sectional Moderator
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vendetta21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffraxis View Post
that's because this topic is supposed to be broad, we are not just talking about one group of drugs.

its a general discussion open for anyone.
oh okay then drugs can range from: banal and trite, absolutely crucial, good, bad, dangerous, and deadly.

dude today i ingested me some really good ****ing salmon and totally upped my vitamin D levels dude, can't wait for that shit to kick in.