Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat > Ask Me Anything
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Ask Me Anything A forum where notable users offer to answer questions from the userbase.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Gundam-Dude
`~`
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default ask a duder

zzz

(Download My Magnum Opus, Solo Kpop Pack!)

My Simfiles (4key & 6key)
Gundam-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
moches
FFR Player

Default Re: ask a duder

SKYYY IS THE LIMIT

so how'd you get into graphic design?
moches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
Gundam-Dude
`~`

Quote:
Originally Posted by moches View Post
so how'd you get into graphic design?
Initially what happened was I took a computer arts/graphic design class back in high school when I was 15~16 because it was something arts related and it sounded interesting—the catch is, I knew literally nothing about design and the software. Everything I learned was from the teacher, my IRL buddy Xiao (who was already knowledgeable with the software), and mostly everything else was self-taught. That experience alone was enjoyable and really stuck with me, so I decided to continue taking that course up until my senior year.

That final year however, I was completely clueless as to what to get into for post secondary studies—initially I wanted to be either an illustrator/artist, engineer, or electrician. My grades were awful and it didn't meet the prerequisites for both engineering and electrician, and I had absolutely no confidence in any of the artwork I had in my portfolio at the time. In the end, I looked for a sort of middle ground between the arts and technology and ended up applying for graphic design, digital media arts, communication arts, and other multimedia based programs.

I sort of had an epiphany when I looked back at my high school grades and realized that the single course that I absolutely loved and scored the best in happened to be that faithful computer arts/graphic design course. Did I also mention I won academic and creative achievement awards for it 2 years in a row? It was at this point that I knew I wanted to get into graphic design and luckily for me, I got into every single college program I applied for.

I'll have to admit though, Xiao was pretty much my biggest influence and I looked up to him. He's been in the same computer arts/graphic design courses as me all throughout high school. The fact that we both ended up being accepted into the same graphic design program and the exact same schools was also another factor that affected my decision to choose the school that I'm at now.

Outside of school though, I always did have a fascination for the way stuff was laid out on almost every print medium I could find. I would often just sit there and inspect all the wonderful colours, arrangements, visual aesthetics and the like on sheets of paper—a lot of people found me strange for doing so.

but yeah that's my life story for ya zzz. I still find it incredibly amusing that I went from knowing literally nothing about design and design softwares to being the top scoring student out of the entire course in high school, lmao. I outbeat Xiao's grades only by a little bit, otherwise I'm pretty sure he'd've won for both years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPopadopalis25 View Post
who is your waifu?
da makise of kurisus I guess but for the most part 2dpd

i'm sorry to have disappointed you anime otaku lord god kami goshuujin sama please forgive me

have this painting as an offering of love and piece

Last edited by Gundam-Dude; 02-11-2013 at 09:34 PM..
Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I see you're pretty good if not amazing with fonts and font placement when it comes to design.

What made you love doing font-based designs and their kerning powers?

Also, speaking of font design. What are your favorites to use and or do you use your own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
moches
FFR Player

Wow, very inspiring stuff, haha. it definitely fits you to a T, too. it's great that you can do what you love.

What has kept you engaged in Stepmania for so long?
Who in the FFR/SM community have you met in real life?
What would you title your autobiography?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

I think in the look what came in the mail thread thread you had a bunch of J-rock and vocaloid albums and such. Any recommendations from what you like?

Also, since FFR has permission for Yuyoyuppe's music, do you plan on subbing Prayer and 7/8 to a future FFR batch?
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
FontSize72LOL
☆~{2D <3}~☆
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam-Dude View Post

da makise of kurisus I guess
I approve.
FontSize72LOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
Gundam-Dude
`~`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
What made you love doing font-based designs and their kerning powers?
Whenever I did my habit of inspecting print work, I often times looked at only the type as opposed to the imagery, especially after I started my studies in graphic design. I would try to draw out typefaces by hand without tracing, paying close attention to the stems, bowls, counters, x-heights, and the like, although I'm no Hermann Zapf at drawing typefaces, lol. Having typography classes in my program just intensified my love and respect for type in general—I care way more about type than actual images. If I see a really nice background with poor typework, I want to rip my eyeballs out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Also, speaking of font design. What are your favorites to use and or do you use your own?
As for typefaces, I have countless favourites although for the most part I stick to the designer classics. I personally prefer more sans-serif typefaces than serif and other classifications, but lately I've been trying to expand my library. I'll just list the ones that happen to pop into my mind first to keep the list short.

Sans-serif:
  • Avant Garde
  • Avenir
  • Eurostile
  • Frutiger
  • Futura
  • Gill Sans
  • Gotham
  • Interstate
  • Meta
  • Museo
  • Trebuchet
  • Univers
  • Whitney

Serif:
  • Archer
  • Caslon
  • Charter
  • Clarendon
  • Didot
  • Friz Quadrata
  • Georgia
  • Minion
  • Palatino
  • Perpetua
  • Rockwell
  • Trajan
  • Versailles

There are a lot more I can add zzz. Also, I do not like Helvetica for the sole fact that it is a boring typeface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPopadopalis25 View Post
But yeah, by waifu I meant more so "Who is your favorite anime character?" as opposed to "Who is the anime character that you have a fictional, one-sided relationship with?" so your answer is a+.
if you're still wondering though, I'll just rip straight from my MAL

Quote:
What has kept you engaged in Stepmania for so long?
Very good question. The several people in the community that I've befriended throughout the years will always keep me anchored to this game, even if I officially stop playing and making files. I wouldn't ever vanish completely from the community for the sole fact that the people I've met through this game I thoroughly enjoy talking with, a few of which I can call close buddies. And another reason is being able to make and play files for songs I enjoy listening to—you have absolutely no idea how much Stepmania has influenced my taste in music, rofl. A little over a decade ago, I literally had 0 interest in music and now look at this guy buying music CDs still.

Quote:
Who in the FFR/SM community have you met in real life?
This is a fairly long list and I might be missing a few people.

• Xiaounlimited (middle school and high school lol)
  • WTFBrandon (middle school and high school lol)
  • xThai (high school lol)
  • silentoath (middle school and high school lol)
  • Kommisar
  • Synexi
  • Gpop / ddrf4n
  • .Layne. / LJRoX
  • Staiain
  • pmonibuv
  • samurai7694
  • remedy1502
  • iPatch
  • mellonxcollie
  • xMUSICxMASTERx
  • Zeldafangurl
  • Litodude
  • Afrobean

Quote:
What would you title your autobiography?
420 b0ngbl4zerz jk this is a documentary about some azn kid doing nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
I think in the look what came in the mail thread thread you had a bunch of J-rock and vocaloid albums and such. Any recommendations from what you like?
Yes I'm a CD collector, and I own a lot of Japanese and doujin CDs imported straight from Japan. I can't really name all the albums off the bat when it comes to J-Rock and Vocaloid, but I'll name some artists that come to mind. And with all honesty, I'm not much of a fan of Vocaloid music in general.

• school food punishment (my favourite band RIP SFP)
    Albums: amp-reflection, Prog Roid

• Supercell (their non-vocaloid stuff is great)
    Albums: Today Is A Beautiful Day

• Kishida Kyoudan & The Akeboshi Rockets (touhou and now aNiMe)
    Albums:

• Mass of Fermenting Dregs (mainstream? possibly still doujin/underground)
    Albums: Mass of Fermenting Dregs

• Asriel (aNiMe and mainstream)
    Albums: Oratorium, Sequentia

• Stereopony (aNiMe and mainstream)
    Albums: Over the Border

• The Brilliant Green (aNiMe and mainstream)
    Albums: Complete Singles Collection '97-'08

• Do As Infinity (aNiMe and mainstream)
    Albums: Deep forest, Gates of Heaven, True Song

• Demetori (their non-metal stuff is chill. touhou, arrangements, and originals)
    Albums: Sinen ni Nozomu ga Gotoshi

• CROW'SCLAW (their non-metal stuff is chill. touhou, arrangements, and originals)
    Albums: From The Bottom Of The Heart, Over The Rainbow

• Foreground Eclipse (if you like Yuyoyuppe/Draw the Emotional, you'll probably like this group)
    Albums: Each And Every Word Leaves Me Here Alone, Seated With Liquor

• Lunetia (this is a band Yuyoyuppe himself is in)
    Albums: Lunetia

• My Eggplant Died Yesterday (another band that Yuyoyuppe himself is in)
    Albums: My Eggplant Died Yesterday

• Shoujo Byou / 少女病 (epic j-rock with story. doujin originals)
    Albums: 蒼白シスフェリア

• MintJam (doujin originals and arrangements)
    Albums: Identity, Beyond the Eternity

• Midori / ミドリ (this is super obscure and a little hardcore but I'll throw this here. I can only describe their genre as jazz punk screamo fusion—you'll know exactly what I mean when you hear their songs lmao)
    Albums: Hello everyone. Nice to meet you. We are Midori, Second

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
Also, since FFR has permission for Yuyoyuppe's music, do you plan on subbing Prayer and 7/8 to a future FFR batch?
Maybe when I feel like it. I feel that 7/8 will convert to FFR well, but Prayer on the other hand will lose a lot of it's difficulty and scoring charm with the missing holds and mine dodging. AAA'ing Prayer on SM is still tricky even though like 10 people have done it by now.

Last edited by Gundam-Dude; 02-11-2013 at 11:12 PM..
Old 02-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
LongGone
-
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

tell me what do u see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
people age at a rate of about 1 year per year
LongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #10
Gundam-Dude
`~`

from the segregating passageways to the never before ventured paths found between the forests out back that was originally a prime location for a sawmill business. it wasn't until an anthromorphic looking fellow decided to go up this pathway and ended up being strangled and dismembered with his blood all drained from its body similar to that of the black dahlia murder but without the glasgow smile and the flooded media attention to cover up all possible leads and clues to the murder. forty five minutes pass and a few passengers that happened to get off the wrong stop at bus stop 3105 call for a taxi which ends up venturing into this mysterious path with a very strong and noticeable scent of alcohol on their bodies after a bro's night out having their bitches ditch them for their weekly fitness and weight loss club. tripping a wire sets off a flamingo hurling towards which leads to the vehicle driver to slam the brakes and smash into a maple tree with all of its leaves turned orange and yellow due to this chilly autumn season brought upon from canadian winds. cocaine drug lords appear and offer the bros a bag in which they accept unwillingly and end up getting so smashed that they started seeing delusions of monstrous kittens doing a back roll on a treadmill while barking at the old granny across the street for having fed her pet fox a piece of 79% dark chocolate that expired on august 23rd, 1979. at that point expired clam juice would taste better because those things are a delicacy only true men would drink as a substitute for alcohol and purple drank for the hip young folk covered in tattoos, piercings, shiny teeth, and possibly even a perm for the mother fuckers that don't really know what they're doing in life but happen to accept their feminine sides like it were their grandchildren with birth defects. regardless of which this story doesn't even make sense to begin with because goldfishes can't even walk down a street without attaching prosthetic legs and carrying a bowl of water to submerge in but who honestly cares anymore this world sucks in the first place. without eating exotic fruits like tomatoes how can you even begin to feel the growth of your feet when the hindrance of such vital vitamins leads to a misdiagnosis of premature ejaculation.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #11
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

Quote:
Yes I'm a CD collector, and I own a lot of Japanese and doujin CDs imported straight from Japan. I can't really name all the albums off the bat when it comes to J-Rock and Vocaloid, but I'll name some artists that come to mind. And with all honesty, I'm not much of a fan of Vocaloid music in general.

/long list

Maybe when I feel like it. I feel that 7/8 will convert to FFR well, but Prayer on the other hand will lose a lot of it's difficulty and scoring charm with the missing holds and mine dodging. AAA'ing Prayer on SM is still tricky even though like 10 people have done it by now.
Sweet thank you, also as a side note, Lunetia is really neat. I randomly came across it when I was looking up information about Yuyoyuppe.
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Mr Dooder, where in Ontario do you think is the best for taking Graphic Design? Just curious.
Also how much money have you spent on your collection? =)
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #13
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Why is Taishi better than Tsukasa

Also what do you think of my decision to change my major from graphic design to IT (systems).

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 02-12-2013 at 05:11 PM..
Coolboyrulez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
Gundam-Dude
`~`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Enigma View Post
Mr Dooder, where in Ontario do you think is the best for taking Graphic Design? Just curious.
I can only speak from the perspective as a college student and not really so much universities. But from the schools I know about, researched, and applied for, I ended up at Seneca located on the York University campus. The overall program structure in comparison to other colleges is what secured my decision—3 years in length and the opportunity to do field placement/internship in your final semester/year which counts towards graduation. Most other graphic design programs in the area are only for 2 years or offer 3 years with no field placement/internship, so you're kinda just thrown out into the real world without having experienced working in the industry prior to grad like at Seneca.

The staff and faculty are fantastic—the major catch about the graphic design faculty is that over 90% of them are only part-time professors because they all run their very own businesses in their off-time when they aren't teaching. It's great to have profs that are up to date in all the current industry happenings/trends from operating their own businesses as opposed to having strictly academics who no longer work in the industry and teach outdated information or aren't really up to par with what goes on today. The vast majority of them are senior designers that have worked for decades, a couple of them are even graduates from the same school and program from a little over a decade ago surprisingly—I have a prof that's in his mid-30s or so that graduated just a decade ago and now teaches a full-on course no one else can cover and he runs his own business in his down time.

The facilities and environment are lively and great, which was also one of the major factors that made me choose here over Humber. Humber's environment was very dull, boring, and dare I say miserable and a lot of buddies I know at any of the campuses all want to get out of there as soon as possible, rofl. I believe 2 faculty members used to teach at Humber and they also found the place poor and not even close to Seneca's standards. Computers, hardware, and software are updated/upgraded fairly regularly—just recently they've upgraded 1 of the computer lab's monitors into full sized Cintiq tablets and are planning on doing a couple more labs soon. Seneca also gets the latest creative suite software immediately as the campus I'm on in particular has exclusive beta testing access to Adobe products before they actually hit public store shelves which is cool.

Anyways, I've ranted on about my school too much. tl;dr version: Seneca is excellent. Fanshawe and Sheridan also seem to be strong choices. I would stay away from Humber and George Brown (my cousin went to the latter for the same program and she found that it wasn't great and later transferred to Seneca to complete her studies, lol). I don't know much about the other colleges to make a judgment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Enigma View Post
Also how much money have you spent on your collection? =)
In the past 3~4 years I've been collecting, I've spent well over $1,000 on CDs alone. Keep in mind that the majority of my collection is imported from Japan, so this also includes costs for shipping zzz. Here's what my collection looks like at the moment (I counted about 65 CDs in total): http://puu.sh/1WcYk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolboyrulez0 View Post
Why is Taishi better than Tsukasa
Taishi is better than Tsukasa. I only like Tsukasa because I first started my CD collection with Sound Online CDs and I made the commitment to complete the discography years ago, lmao.

Quote:
Also what do you think of my decision to change my major from graphic design to IT (systems).
To each his own and I have no quarrel with your decision. If you want my honest opinion on you, you would've needed to be whipped into shape via self-discipline and conditioning by a professional if you chose the design path. I'm not beating on your skill—I mean even I had to be completely whipped to get where I am at now, rofl. But from a more professional perspective, your "design" work wasn't quite up to par, but that's exactly what studying the program is for anyways. IT seems to suit you better although it's hard to say since I barely even talk to you outside of FFR, lol.

If you stayed in the U.S. to study graphic design, I'm going to have to be biased and tell you that it's a waste of time and money on the simple fact that the design industry there isn't nearly as strong as it is in Canada and other countries. Quite frankly, anyone can become a graphic designer in America and chances are you're going to end up unemployed and working a minimum wage job. This is speaking from knowing several people with a graphic design paper credential and are still living at home doing nothing or working a shitty job to get by. I've spoken to them about the criteria and requirements for admission and it's a complete and utter joke. Now if you moved to Germany for graphic design, then disregard everything I just said, lol.

so much tl;dr zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited by Gundam-Dude; 02-12-2013 at 05:58 PM..
Old 02-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #15
Razor
Dan "Razor" Devilz
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

when are you making a new pack? (o:
3rd: Retro City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers
I play Stepmania, so I know everything about media formats.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #16
Gundam-Dude
`~`

I have a pack or two in mind but I probably won't have the time to do 'em for another month or two zzz

Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #17
ddr_f4n
FFR Player

Quote:

• Kishida Kyoudan & The Akeboshi Rockets (touhou and now aNiMe)
    Albums:
  • Demetori (their non-metal stuff is chill. touhou, arrangements, and originals)
    Albums: Sinen ni Nozomu ga Gotoshi

• CROW'SCLAW (their non-metal stuff is chill. touhou, arrangements, and originals)
    Albums: From The Bottom Of The Heart, Over The Rainbow

• Foreground Eclipse (if you like Yuyoyuppe/Draw the Emotional, you'll probably like this group)
    Albums: Each And Every Word Leaves Me Here Alone, Seated With Liquor
Man good stuff there, I love these guys especially. Did you know Draw The Emotional and Foreground Eclipse made a collab album last Comiket? It's pretty awesome, with the two groups re-arranging one of each other's songs :V

Also, did you know that Yuyoyuppe is DJ'TEKINA//SOMETHING and made this awesome bad-boy? (I'm sure you did, I just love this song)
ddr_f4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #18
moches
FFR Player

favorite moches file (or top 3, w/e :3)
Old 02-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #19
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Naw, I remember even my high school web and graphic design teacher saying that me and a few friends would be able to teach the teacher about graphic design at the college we went to and was absolutely right. I remember going to class every day and having to draw still-lifes from an easel and just absolutely hated it. Also, as you mentioned the graphic program most likely is more rigorous here but not offered at every university but rather in big cities such as Berlin, Cologne, Frankfurt etc. and it is not pragmatic for me to move there or deal with an over 100 km commute daily. Plus, since I am a fan of life long learning in things I enjoy doing, I will continue to self-improve and reinvent myself via continual practice in the fields of graphics design and web design. Searching for a job in the IT field with knowledge in web- and digital design should make me an attractive asset to a company as opposed to a one-trick pony, but that is many years down the line.

Since that wasn't a question but rather a follow-up, how big is your digital song collection (mp3/flac/wav), and how many of the songs you posses are in lossless format?

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 02-13-2013 at 06:19 AM..
Coolboyrulez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #20
Gundam-Dude
`~`

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddr_f4n View Post
Emotional and Foreground Eclipse made a collab album last Comiket? It's pretty awesome, with the two groups re-arranging one of each other's songs :V
Seated With Liquor was pretty boss. I still prefer Collapse of the Sky over all of yuppe's releases though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddr_f4n View Post
Also, did you know that Yuyoyuppe is DJ'TEKINA//SOMETHING and made this awesome bad-boy? (I'm sure you did, I just love this song)
Oh nice, I didn't know he was under another alias. Cool stuff.

Quote:
favorite moches file (or top 3, w/e :3)
Not in order. I enjoyed playing these a lot:

• Extermination
    Higher
    Landscape
    Micro Media Broth
    Never Fade Away
    Night Jam
    Paramnesia
    Vanity

Quote:
Since that wasn't a question but rather a follow-up, how big is your digital song collection (mp3/flac/wav), and how many of the songs you posses are in lossless format?
About 90GB, mostly lossy though—any lossless albums I have are my very own CD rips which all reside on my laptop and not here on my desktop. I used to have well over 120GB worth, but I deleted a lot of old albums I didn't really like and never really listened to.

Last edited by Gundam-Dude; 02-13-2013 at 03:09 PM..