Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2010, 04:36 AM   #1
eastsideman09
poker face
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default You ever hear something you weren't supposed to?

I did. This actually happened a few months back, but FFR was still down, and I had actually forgot about it, but the subject was brought up in conversation with a friend, and I wanted to know if I'm not the only one who feels this way about the situation, and I'm sure I'm not.

I have a friend, let's call her Suzie. Suzie was in a relationship with this douchey guy for a few months, let's call him John. She broke up with him after she found out he cheated on her repeatedly. She did, however, take him back after a two week period. Within that time, she hooked up with two other guys before taking John back. Not the issue, just a background.

Here's the issue, within a month of taking John back, Suzie finds out she's pregnant. I don't remember the exact time frame, but the way it worked out, the baby's daddy very easily could have been any one of the three she had been with within that two or three week period, and it was more thank likely that it wasn't John's. I would think in that situation some closure would be appropriate, but she's convinced herself that the kid is John's and has strongly decided against a blood test because she's so sure it's his. When she first found out she was pregnant, she was confused on the possibilities, or at least that's what she confided in her friend, but she's since convinced herself otherwise.

John has a steady income working at a hospital and a home, while Suzie is unemployed and does not have her high school diploma and doesn't have the $70 for a GED class. I believe she's afraid to get a blood test because it very easily may not be the child of the man that she has feelings for who also has the home and money to help raise the kid, as if she's taking the easy way instead of the right way. John is willing to do so, but I don't know whether or not he's aware that there's a possibility that it's not his kid, so I don't know how he may feel if he knew that. Suzie's about 21 weeks along, and in the process of moving in with John.

That's what I was told. My issue is that this was gossip that I'm not supposed to know, talking with her best friends about it after a wedding. They told me to not talk about it with Suzie, and pretend like I have no knowledge of anything like that, and to just be happy for her and her upcoming child.

Every moral fiber in my being wants to meddle and confront John about it, though I don't really know the guy, but my friends would hate me for what ever period of time, and Suzie may disown me, but come on. She's potentially barring that child from ever knowing it's real father. I feel what she's doing is so irresponsible, and that she should be fiscally and legally bum****ed for it, if it actually isn't John's kid.

So FFR, I know it's not really my business to do so, but should I do something about this babbydaddy cluster****? Or should I sit back and hope that it actually is John's child? Is there even anything I could do anyway? She's pretty far against getting a blood test. And how do you feel about this whole thing?

tl;dr
this chick should be on Springer with 3 possible babydaddys and the one she's with might not be it. I'm not supposed to know, but should I do something about it anyway?

Also, have you guys been in this kind of situation before? Knowing something like this that you shouldn't know? Share if you wish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arntonach View Post
wow ur pretty
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
caring should be a get-outable offense

Last edited by eastsideman09; 11-14-2010 at 04:41 AM..
eastsideman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:35 AM   #2
Mulie
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Re: You ever hear something you're weren't supposed to?

Yeah, I've been told secrets, and I'm often irrationally tempted to share them. The idea behind morality depicts a concern with conformity among peers, ultimately for our own personal benefit. In this case, either option is justified on a scale of conventional principles; and there would be consequences for you and everyone involved if you were to intervene. So the path of least resistance would be staying silent, as the problems of other people, as opposed to your own, are more easily forgettable; but arguably, if it bothers you enough; whatever. Just don't regret it.
Mulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:56 AM   #3
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

get to know john

wait 12 years

figure out which one you hate more (you will hate one of them by then if not both)

act accordingly
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to stretchypanda

It's not your secret to tell.

If she's a good friend, you can at least tell her you know and encourage her to do the right thing. No matter what you say, if her mind is set, you're unlikely to change it.
stretchypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
crazyretard69
In The Butt
FFR Veteran

I heard a Rape happening one time.... I joined in
crazyretard69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
Redorigami
Call me Massive Swallow

Send a message via AIM to Redorigami Send a message via MSN to Redorigami Send a message via Yahoo to Redorigami

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchypanda View Post
It's not your secret to tell.

If she's a good friend, you can at least tell her you know and encourage her to do the right thing. No matter what you say, if her mind is set, you're unlikely to change it.
Sound advice. As little hope as I would have that you'd be able to make any difference this way, at least from what you've said, you should probably just stick with that. At the very least you'll have gained some peace of mind in at least knowing that you tried, and you'll have a more clear indication of what kind of person she actually is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadNv View Post
Got dibs on La Camp.
Oh right, Im not any good.
Got dibs on Pita.
Redorigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
BethanyBangs
~
FFR Veteran

Nooooo that is so wrong!
Old 11-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

In general, it's a good idea not to get involved in other people's lives where large decisions are at stake. If things go horribly wrong, you're now included in the problem. The best thing you can do is try to act in a way that results in minimal backlash for everyone involved on expectation.

The best thing you can do is talk to Suzie about it.
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
ninjaKIWI
plain old ugly ass dumbas

Send a message via AIM to ninjaKIWI

Your friend Suzie sounds like a whore.
ninjaKIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
HoneyMelonCalibrator
Arrow Theory™
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HoneyMelonCalibrator Send a message via MSN to HoneyMelonCalibrator

Find a way to tell "John" about the issue. This doesn't necessarily have to be direct and upfront. But maybe you could leave him a tip or an anonymous message or something. That way the idea will be in his head, and he will most likely request a paternity test.

No one deserves to be forced to father the child of an unemployed, irresponsible girl who's incapable of receiving a GED!!!!11
諸行無常の響あり。
娑羅雙樹の花の色、
盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。
おごれる人も久しからず、
唯春の夜の夢のごとし。
たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、
偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

Last edited by HoneyMelonCalibrator; 11-14-2010 at 10:29 AM..
HoneyMelonCalibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Windscarredfaith
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ watermelon
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Windscarredfaith Send a message via MSN to Windscarredfaith

I completely disagree with HoneyMelon, no offense. I definitely side with stretchy and Rubix on this. He was first of all confided in as a friend to keep her secret. 100% agree that it is not his secret to tell, and it would involve him into the huge mess that it already is. You can still be friends with someone and not completely agree with their moral reasoning/decisions. Therefore, your job in this situation is to be the best friend you can be to Suzie. It is not a bad idea for you to give her your opinion on the subject matter, but in my opinion, it would be extremely hard for her to change her mind on something like this. Her fear can be completely blinding her to making the logical choice. It is clear that she does have some sense of guilt if she has debated about this issue with all her friends.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

While I think it's totally unfair for such an irresponsible girl to leech and take the easy way out, you do need to consider that telling John directly may result in dire consequences. He may break it off with Suzie and force her to fend for herself and the baby. Without a GED/job/etc, that's pretty bleak -- and not something you potentially want on your conscious, either.

The ideal outcome would be for Suzie to get the blood test and discuss this situation with the real father (if we assume it's not John's), as it's his kid, too. You don't want to get directly involved, but you can try to persuade those already involved to make the right decision as long as it's safe to do so. Situations like these require a certain sensitivity first, and aren't best solved by introducing information bluntly/unexpectedly. Don't tell Suzie what she should or should not do, but rather lay out the facts pertaining to everyone involved.

Ultimately, Suzie may decide that she absolutely doesn't want to get the test and wants to stick with John. Even then, you don't know for sure that not his kid (it was only a two-week hiatus, right?), and it's still best for you to stay out of it. You don't want to cause trouble only to find out that John *is* the father, making you look like a total asshole.

Sometimes it sucks, but you can only do so much safely. While it's tempting to act on all information we have in order to do what we think is right, ultimately, it's not always our decision to make when it comes to the lives of others. Best thing you can do is talk to Suzie and hope that she makes the right choice.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #13
HoneyMelonCalibrator
Arrow Theory™
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HoneyMelonCalibrator Send a message via MSN to HoneyMelonCalibrator

You've got a good point, Windscarred. Not to mention I completely misread the story. For some reason I thought that OP was friends with John and not Suzie. If I were in your situation, I wouldn't say anything; not even to Suzie. If this guy is really as douchey as you claim he is, then more power to Suzie.
諸行無常の響あり。
娑羅雙樹の花の色、
盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。
おごれる人も久しからず、
唯春の夜の夢のごとし。
たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、
偏に風の前の塵に同じ。
HoneyMelonCalibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:21 AM   #14
fullmetal_alchemist027
Don't make me stalk you
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to fullmetal_alchemist027 Send a message via MSN to fullmetal_alchemist027

Well Rubix already said everything that I would have said... :/

Follow the sound advice in this thread and good luck with the situation eastside! Hope it goes well.

fullmetal_alchemist027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
Oni-Paranoia
No fucks
FFR Veteran

I'd tell John.

It was her mistake, and like Rubix stated, it's not fair that she's trying to take the easy way out. Besides, whether you talk now or never, the truth is going to come out and all hell will break loose. Why wait?
Oni-Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #16
knuckles2224
Angel Island ♥
FFR Veteran

You can write John an anonymous letter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrekusuof93 View Post
Knuckles you're just a rebel
knuckles2224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #17
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

As an aside, I think it's horrible when people divulge info like this.

Suzie's "best friends" were likely told (by Suzie herself) not to tell anyone, and they still felt that it was okay to tell *you*, someone completely not involved. Giving uninvolved people information like that puts them in a position of cognitive dissonance where they either feel the need to choose sides or live with the guilt of knowing. Some "friends" she has.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #18
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Yeah I know things about several of my closer friends that could get them into a great deal of trouble if I told anybody.

You just decide whether or not "the truth" is more important to you than your friendship, and go from there.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #19
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to stretchypanda

ITT reasons you shouldn't make horrible sex choices.
stretchypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #20
phe0nixblade
Praise the sun mofo
FFR Veteran

Default Re: You ever hear something you weren't supposed to?

Man some of you guys are pansies, man up and tell the dude. If he's raising a kid for 15 years before he finds out it's not his he'll feel ****ty as hell, prevent that from happening by telling the dude.