Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2015, 10:11 AM   #1
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player
Retired StaffD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default ATTN: Tech peeps I need help

Putting this in technology forum since this is technology based.

I've had an issue with internet stability and overall connection since I got a new router that replaced my old Belkin one. The router I am currently using is a Netgear one that my ISP provided for me as an "upgrade" for free.

My problem consists of dropping internet connection through what it seems like random applications. I have experienced the loss of internet by these sources:

Logging into Skype without running it in administrator.
Logging into League of Legends WHILE running it in administrator
Random webpages like FFR now along with Google Spreadsheet and other various sites like Kongregate, Facebook, etc

I just lost internet connection briefly while playing Legend Knight on Kongregate and having ONLY FFR open as well, but it kicked back on when I went to "Troubleshoot Problems". The message I receive when I lose internet and try to open up a browser page is: DNS Server unresponsive, or DNS Server cannot be found.

So I made this thread to ask you guys on Fiffer about this possible problem. If it happens and troubleshoot problems doesn't work I have to restart the computer and then the internet works fine again until one of the conditions is met and it loses the connection once again. ALSO, no other computer/device in my household loses internet when it happens, it only happens to this single computer. My sister's computer keeps steady internet connection and my phone keeps steady internet connection so I have no idea how it is only affecting one device and not multiple ones.

Last edited by _Zenith_; 07-22-2015 at 10:14 AM..
_Zenith_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:21 AM   #2
AragakiAyase
Waifus
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to AragakiAyase
Default Re: ATTN: Tech peeps I need help

Sounds like you have an IP conflict. Is your comp's IP address being dynamically determined?

pikakirby123 reincarnated

AragakiAyase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

What operating system are you using? Off the top of my head the first thing I'd probably attempt is to update ethernet drivers or disable and re-enable my connection from the control panel.

I also have a small suspicion it is related to IPv6. I'm not an expert about networking though so I don't know. I've just had problems with connecting to games with IPv6 in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AragakiAyase View Post
Sounds like you have an IP conflict. Is your comp's IP address being dynamically determined?
Maybe this would work for that problem? Although, I think the same thing occurs when you disable and re-renable your connection anyway.

Click Start->Run, type cmd and press Enter.
Type ipconfig /release at the prompt window, press Enter, it will release the current IP configuration.
Type ipconfig /renew at the prompt window, press Enter, wait for a while, the DHCP server will assign a new IP address for your computer.

Last edited by Izzy; 07-22-2015 at 10:26 AM..
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:30 AM   #4
AragakiAyase
Waifus
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
What operating system are you using? Off the top of my head the first thing I'd probably attempt is to update ethernet drivers or disable and re-enable my connection from the control panel.

I also have a small suspicion it is related to IPv6. I'm not an expert about networking though so I don't know. I've just had problems with connecting to games with IPv6 in the past.

Maybe this would work for that problem? Although, I think the same thing occurs when you disable and re-renable your connection anyway.

Click Start->Run, type cmd and press Enter.
Type ipconfig /release at the prompt window, press Enter, it will release the current IP configuration.
Type ipconfig /renew at the prompt window, press Enter, wait for a while, the DHCP server will assign a new IP address for your computer.
No, if the problem is caused by an IP conflict then you don't want to do that because the reassignment will always have the potential to conflict. You'll have to assign your computer a static IP address using your network details (an unused IP, DNS, etc.).

Old 07-22-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player

Beats me but I do remember earlier like a few months back having IPv6 issues and possibly switched it but it was long ago and I barely remember

It's just a bizarre problem because I've never heard or seen any issue where opening up certain applications causes internet loss.

EDIT: I ran cmd and it says that "Tunnel Adapter Media State............Media Disconnected" in both isatap.home and Local Area Connection*11 if that helps at all

Oh and I'm also using ASUS Essentio Series, Windows 7 OS.

Last edited by _Zenith_; 07-22-2015 at 10:38 AM..
Old 07-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
AragakiAyase
Waifus
FFR Veteran

Did you try doing what I suggested?

Old 07-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #7
KLiTz
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
No, if the problem is caused by an IP conflict then you don't want to do that because the reassignment will always have the potential to conflict. You'll have to assign your computer a static IP address using your network details (an unused IP, DNS, etc.).
This. Any instability issues Ive ever had were rectified by assigning static IPs to devices connecting to my network
KLiTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #8
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player

Quote:
Did you try doing what I suggested?
Nope because I have no idea how to even locate a static IP or DNS; let alone even where to go to input the information.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #9
AragakiAyase
Waifus
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Zenith_ View Post
Nope because I have no idea how to even locate a static IP or DNS; let alone even where to go to input the information.
Control panel --> network & sharing center --> WiFi (or wireless connection whatever)

Right click and go to properties

I forget the rest I'll have to get on a comp
But Google how to figure out your network info, in particular IP, DNS, subnet.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:01 PM   #10
AragakiAyase
Waifus
FFR Veteran

http://www.colorado.edu/oit/tutorial...tion-windows-7

Do what that link says. As you can see you'll need to find out your IP address and pick one (usually by changing the last set of numbers to something unused, i.e. 1-->28), as well as your subnet mask and default gateway.