on my comp?

keep in mind i have windows 2000 pro

where would i put the file?
Pooping_Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2004, 01:42 AM   #2
lightdarkness
Summer!!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lightdarkness Send a message via MSN to lightdarkness Send a message via Yahoo to lightdarkness Send a message via Skype™ to lightdarkness

Download the zip
extract it
follow the read me
Old 08-4-2004, 03:26 AM   #3
SotN
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SotN

Ow. You need a paid program to run that skin. They have a free trial, but i wouldnt get your hopes up on using that skin.

http://www.stardock.com/products/objectbar/

I'd check some *cough*lessthanlegal*cough* websites to find a "fix" if you really want the skin. It's really nice, by the way.

Im not sure, but here's my guess on how to load it. Unzip the stuff, and toss the folder containing all the other ones on your desktop. Open up the proggy and load that folder.

OH EM EFF GEE ld is useless. (''\(o_O)/'')
SotN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2004, 10:55 AM   #4
User6773

Yes I love how Microsoft kept bragging about Windows XP's skinnability and then released a grand total of two (2) skins for it, one of which was just the old Windows look, and made it impossible to add more. Well, they did give us 3 color scheme choices for the new skin. But it's impossible to add more of those, too.
Old 08-4-2004, 12:43 PM   #5
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

You can edit the registry to remove the lock on skins in XP, IIRC.

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2004, 01:29 PM   #6
Pooping_Panda
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Pooping_Panda

nevermind everyone...i got one...thanls to those who tryed to help
Pooping_Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2004, 02:24 PM   #7
Izzi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Izzi

there is this cool skin program called "windowblinds" you can use the free trial and never have to pay. have alll the same abilitys. only for the cost of having to hit exit whe u start your computer when it asks u to register (its really cool stuff)
Izzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2004, 02:49 PM   #8
ravenhexa
FFR Player
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ravenhexa

Quote:
Yes I love how Microsoft kept bragging about Windows XP's skinnability and then released a grand total of two (2) skins for it, one of which was just the old Windows look, and made it impossible to add more. Well, they did give us 3 color scheme choices for the new skin. But it's impossible to add more of those, too.
you can customize the classic windows by clicking the advanced button when you have the classic selected. and its not as huge as the stupid XP one they give you, and you can make it look awesome...like mine.
ravenhexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2004, 05:33 PM   #9
User6773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzi
there is this cool skin program called "windowblinds" you can use the free trial and never have to pay. have alll the same abilitys. only for the cost of having to hit exit whe u start your computer when it asks u to register (its really cool stuff)
Actually, the trial version of WindowBlinds is severely lacking in functionality...
Old 08-5-2004, 06:33 PM   #10
Xaimus
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to Xaimus Send a message via AIM to Xaimus Send a message via MSN to Xaimus Send a message via Yahoo to Xaimus

The following post is in response to those who bitch about visual styles and windowblinds, not about objectbar:

... does anyone other than me know about the uxtheme hack?

Anyway, XP's native theming engine supports third party themes, but only if they're digitally signed. So, since no one is going to shell out money to make a theme "signed", some modifications are made to the uxtheme dynamic link library that allow unsigned themes to be loaded.

StyleXP automates the process, but is a worthless sack of crap program and is a waste of money.

I would normally point you to a nifty installer program found on redf.net, but it seems to be undergoing reconstruction. I don't have the full installer; only the patch applier, so that's all I can "mirror".

Download, extract, and follow the instructions in the readme:
http://s93720202.onlinehome.us/xaimu...themepatch.zip

Anyway, since I'm terrible at giving directions, and people seem to be dense, I have copied and pasted a HOWTO on installing custom visual styles (the original source returned a 404 and I don't trust Google's cache to keep it forever):
Quote:
By: Mollie Hall

Before starting, make sure you have enabled XP to show *all* system folders and hidden files.

Also, I have yet to come across a downloadable Style XP theme that wasn't in a ".zip" file, so the following directions deal only with ".zip" files.

These directions are pretty detailed, so you need to read them carefully. It's not as difficult as it sounds, I promise!

1. Download ".zip" file - remember what folder you downloaded it in. I usually use the "My Documents" folder on the desktop because it's easy to remember.

2. Locate the downloaded ".zip."

3. Once you have located the .zip file:

a. For XP users using the Windows XP built-in zip file manager: locate the ".zip" FOLDER (not file), and then open it as you would any other folder. That will open the folder and show you the compressed files. Click on "file" on the toolbar, then "extract all" and then extract the files to "c:/windows/resources/themes."

b. For XP users using WinZip or another compression program: click on the .zip file, and extract to "c:windows esources hemes."

4. After you have finished extracting the files, right click on your desktop then click on "properties." That will open the Display Properties dialog box. Then:

a. For themes with the ".msstyles" file extension: click on the "Appearance" tab then choose your desired theme from the "Windows and buttons" dialog box, then choose which color scheme you prefer from the "color scheme" dialog box (most themes only come with one color, but some come with more) (see screenshot1). Click "apply" then close the display properties dialog box.

b. For themes with the ".theme" file extension, make sure the open "display properties" window is the "Themes" tab (it's the default window, so you should already be looking right at it.) Choose your theme from the "themes" dialog box (see screenshot2). ".Theme" files often come with icons and wallpaper, but it is not required that you use the icons or wallpaper, so before you click "apply" make sure the wallpaper and icons are the ones you want - for wallpaper click on the "desktop" tab, then choose your wallpaper. For icons, same as the wallpaper, except click on "customize desktop" and then choose your icons (see screenshot3). Once that is accomplished, click "apply" then close the display properties dialog box.

c. For themes with both the ".msstyles" and ".theme" extensions, use the ".theme" version if you want to use any included icons, wallpaper, etc. Use the ".msstyles" version to use the "visual style" only without using any of the included icons, wallpaper, etc.

You're done! Yeah, right, wouldn't that be nice? You only *wish* it was that easy, because I know I do. So keep reading.

There are certain things that *must* be in place in order for themes to work correctly, so I recommend you double check to make sure everything is good to go before you do any of the above. So go ahead and open the "c:/windows/resources/themes" folder, and follow the below directions:

1. ".Theme" files *must* be directly within the "c:/windows/resources/themes" folder (see screenshot4), and not within individual folders. a. If you find any in individual sub-folders, simply move the *.theme* file directly to the "c:/windows/resources/themes" folder.

2. ".Msstyles" files *must* be within their own individual sub-folders within the "c:/windows/resources/themes" folder (see screenshot5). For example, the file "generic.msstyles" must be in a sub-folder entitled "generic," "generic1.msstyles" must be in a sub-folder entitled "generic1," etc.

a. If any ".msstyles" files are directly in the "c:/windows/resources/themes" folder, make a *new* sub-folder and name it EXACTLY AS THE ".msstyles" FILE IS NAMED (minus the ".msstyles" extension of course), then move the ".msstyles" file into that sub-folder.

3. After doing the above, you will need to check each individual sub-folder within the "c:/windows/resources/themes" folder, *including* the ones you didn't have to fix, or create yourself. Why? Because:

a. It is essential that the name of the sub-folder match the name of the ".msstyles" file exactly, and caps, lower case, spaces, underscores, etc., ALL count - i.e., the file "generic.msstyles" must be in a folder entitled "generic," "Generic_01.msstyles" must be in a folder entitled "Generic_01," etc. (see screenshot5, above). If they don't match, you will need to rename the sub-folder that the ".msstyles" file is in so that it matches the file name.

b. Some ".zip" files will extract files into what I call a "sub-sub folder." For example, the file "generic.msstyles" might be in a sub-folder of a sub-folder; i.e., "c:/windows/resources/themes/generic/generic." If this is the case, you will need to move the ".msstyles" file into the first sub-folder, "c:/windows/resources/themes/generic." Delete the "sub-sub" folder after you've moved the ".msstyles" file.

4. Some ".msstyles" themes include what is known as a "shellstyle" ("shellstyle.dll".) "Shellstyle.dll" should be in its own sub-folder entitled "shell" *within* the ".msstyles" theme sub-folder, "c:/windows/resources/themes/generic/shell" (see screenshot6). Sometimes, the "shell" sub-folder has its own sub-folders, for example, "c:/windows/resources/themes/generic/shell/normalcolor" (see screenshot7). If this is the case, "shellstyle.dll" should be in the "normalcolor" sub-folder (see screenshot8). If you find any "shellstyle.dll" files floating around in the "generic" sub-folder itself, make a new sub-folder, name it "shell" then move "shellstyle.dll" into that folder.

Okay, NOW you're done. Have fun with your new theme!

If you have any questions regarding the above, please feel free to email me.
EDIT: KDE's styles/window decorations are 500x more customizable than any crap offered in WindowBlinds or with Visual Styles. [/irritatingbsduser]