Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Health and Fitness
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-5-2015, 11:44 PM   #41
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Misc. fitness discussion thread

SCWolf - Can you post (I think you did in the past I just can't find it), the diet and lifting routing you did when you first starting bulking/putting on mass/etc. I'm finally gonna start lifting and bulking (I'm 6'2 160 lbs, lean in shape from sports) but want to get big and toned and your progress was very impressive so I think it would be a very good benchmark to start from.

Any other links or advice appreciated as well, there's so much info on the internet and I'm sure i'll find what works for me, but someone's opinion on a starting point or even a premade schedule for me would be immensely helpful.

thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by FictionJunction View Post
wow
j-rodd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-6-2015, 07:32 PM   #42
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

chris's programming was guided by NorthStrong who is completing a degree in exercise science, though I don't know if he varied from NS's recommendations

side note http://www.blogto.com/film/2012/06/c...er_in_toronto/ there is no way this dude is 200lb at 5'6", lol. Arnold's olympia weight was fucking 235lb at 6'2" and 7% bf and this dude is 12% bf max. this dude is *not* that size I'm sorry. maybe 170-180lb at 5'6".
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-7-2015, 10:38 AM   #43
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch0wl View Post
chris's programming was guided by NorthStrong who is completing a degree in exercise science, though I don't know if he varied from NS's recommendations
thanks, do you know if there's a link to exactly what was followed?

Quote:
wow
Old 06-8-2015, 08:16 PM   #44
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I am extremely frustrated and demotivated at the moment. I feel like giving up on squats entirely or something. I just cannot get the form right.

Either I am leaning over too much, or not going deep enough, or my bar path isn't straight, or my knees are too close together, or my knees are too far apart, or they're not at the proper angles, or my knees are going out too far in front of my toes, or I'm not sitting back enough (and if I do, I feel like I am about to fall over), or my chest isn't up enough, or I lack ankle flexibility, or I lack hip mobility, or I'm using too much weight, or I'm not breaking at the hips properly, or I'm not maintaining the right posture coming up out of the hole, or I have too much buttwink, or I'm rounding my back at some random step, etc.

I tried box squats (more specifically, the bench) and for whatever reason I kept having the same problems.

In particular / in general, this forward-lean shit is making me furious. Any time I try to keep my chest up or sit back more, I come really close to falling back on my ass, and I know I am going to end up hurting myself if I keep trying that.

</whine>

Last edited by Reincarnate; 06-8-2015 at 08:17 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2015, 08:25 PM   #45
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Have you ever asked someone in person to help you with your form?
I've never struggled with squat form personally. But I've been doing them since 10th grade so there's that
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2015, 05:05 PM   #46
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rodd123 View Post
thanks, do you know if there's a link to exactly what was followed?
sent this to him, he's working on a reply but he's been busy
Old 06-9-2015, 05:05 PM   #47
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

dude at my gym had a "FATHER FORGIVE ME FOR THESE GAINS I'M ABOUT TO RECEIVE" shirt

me: "is that shirt from where I think it's from"
him: "yeah I have all of them 8)"

I feel so at home :')
Old 06-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #48
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

Quote:
sent this to him, he's working on a reply but he's been busy
ok thanks ya no rush to him, i did PM him too

Quote:
wow
Old 06-23-2015, 09:17 AM   #49
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

dom's evolution of the lifting man vid is truer than I'd like it to be, including being attracted to centaur women

me, when I started lifting: "I'm so hot 8) fucking duh I'm getting pussy"

me, now: "why do these women keep sleeping with me, my shoulder insertions are barely evident"
Old 06-24-2015, 02:45 AM   #50
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rodd123 View Post
SCWolf - Can you post (I think you did in the past I just can't find it), the diet and lifting routing you did when you first starting bulking/putting on mass/etc. I'm finally gonna start lifting and bulking (I'm 6'2 160 lbs, lean in shape from sports) but want to get big and toned and your progress was very impressive so I think it would be a very good benchmark to start from.

Any other links or advice appreciated as well, there's so much info on the internet and I'm sure i'll find what works for me, but someone's opinion on a starting point or even a premade schedule for me would be immensely helpful.

thanks in advance
Sorry for being way too late on this

Programming isn't as important as your dieting. If you're eating correctly, doesn't matter what you're doing in the gym as long as you're working hard.

The idea generally speaking would be to focus your gym visits around the three main compound movements (bench, deadlift, squat) and have assistance exercises that correlate with the muscle groups that those compound movements primarily exercise. I won't give you my program, because it's very much catered to my strengths and weaknesses, not yours. Your strengths and weaknesses will typically be determined over about 4-6 months.

A good place to start with programming would be starting strength and 5/3/1. I prefer 5/3/1, personally.

As for dieting, it's about trial and error. Do not rush things. I cannot emphasize that enough. Fitness is a lifestyle change, not something you decide to do so you can look good in a few months. It takes experience and learning, which includes trying and failing. The key is to be persistent and not give up.

Your dieting will always be most important. Don't forget that. Plateaus within the first and even the second year of training can usually be addressed through dieting alone. Think of your gym programming as a way of using the fuel from the food to build a well rounded physique. Read a lot, and avoid Reddit and 4chan like the fucking plague, seriously, I cannot stress that enough.

In regards to Rubix, you're thinking too much. You're too worried about what's right and what's wrong and not what's comfortable. Spending more time worrying about what's right and wrong and not focusing on just working hard is the main problem.

On another note, here's some back progress (my main focal point for growth this year)

Also my back double bi looks like shit, I don't understand the pose fully but whatever it doesn't really matter lol

Last edited by SCWolf; 06-24-2015 at 02:50 AM..
SCWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:52 AM   #51
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

"focus your gym visits around the three main compound movements (bench, deadlift, squat) and have assistance exercises that correlate with the muscle groups that those compound movements primarily exercise."

the most important takeaway from SCWolf's post, imo.

all very successful lifters do this.

http://blog.chaosandpain.com/wimz-he...d-accessorize/
Old 06-24-2015, 07:57 PM   #52
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

thanks for the reply, i appreciate it a lot! excited to get started! nice progress pics btw!

Quote:
wow
Old 06-24-2015, 08:40 PM   #53
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
me, now: "why do these women keep sleeping with me, my shoulder insertions are barely evident"

lmfao
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:23 PM   #54
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

You really had the same problem with box squats?

If you hate squats that much, normally I would just say fuck it and not do them (I hate deadlifts, even though they're my best lift lmao, so I quit them)

But it's really hard to work your legs at home if you're not squatting.

Romanian deadlift is honestly THE exercise for posterior chain, so fuck squatting in that regard. After a year of RDLs my hams and glutes popped way more than squatting ever did.

You could always do leg press and extensions for quad development instead if you go to a gym. Otherwise there isn't much at home sadly. You could do lunges at home, keep tension on the quads.

Last edited by Reach; 06-24-2015 at 10:24 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote