Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #21
TC_=MaxXFreaK=
FFR Player

Default Re: Why are you Agnostic?

im not an atheist because of no proof in god, im an atheist because there is proof of no god.
its called science.
evolution.
or whatever else you want to call it.

92% of the teenage population has switched to rap.
If you are the 8% who ROCKS,
copy & paste this in your signature.
lol:http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...=1#post1721781
[br]Click here to feed me a fruit![br]Get your own at PokePlushies!
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Nintendo...ex.php?act=idx
TC_=MaxXFreaK= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:49 PM   #22
Dragula219
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokzic View Post
No. Not me, at least.

I'm agnostic because I find it downright idiotic to believe or not believe in something that we have absolutely no proof supporting either way.
Flying Spaghetti Monster, etc.

The reason I'm not agnostic is because I don't believe "proof" works that way. In everything situation I can think of, if you can't prove something exists it's assumed that it doesn't.

Example: A friend says that there is a tree in my room. There is no way he can possibly prove there is a tree in my room, therefor most people would agree that there is not a tree in my room.

I'm not an "extreme atheist" or whatever you want to call it, because I'm not ignorant. If some kind of solid proof is found that god exists I could easily change my mind.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:43 PM   #23
OrganisM
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
but do you have a -reason- other than "I find it logically improbable"? I mean, that's a better line of reasoning than most people have, but ti is still a little lacking to me.
I'm probably speaking for others as well when I say that it's not just about logical improbability, it's largely the acceptance that we could not possibly know what the "ultimate truth" might be, and if there even is one, rather than accepting theistic beliefs. We, as humans, tend to read reason into places where there may be none. We constantly make rules for ourselves and try to define our lives all while forgetting that all these limits and definitions of our lives are entirely our own rather than a universal truth.

And if somebody says that the world is actually the insides of a purple hippo that dances on the rim of a giant monkey's champagne glass, I won't believe their theory. Why? Because I won't change my system of thinking based on somebody's worthless idea. And most of these theories involve a system of control and attempts to take over my ideals and thoughts. It's just not happening.

Do you ever see a Christian truly leaving the nature of God or the existence of Heaven and Hell up to debate? No, they're absolute truths written in a man-made book. Somebody told somebody and somebody wrote things down about somebody else who saw somebody else do something and stuff happen two thousand years ago. Okay, it must have been true.

It's always the questioning man that gets struck down by the ignorance of the religious man who says it must not be so, who says their truth is the ultimate truth and that all who believe otherwise are heretics who shall perish in the underworld.

It's not a question of believing what you want to believe, it's about control. I am a questioning man, and I hate ruthless quests for power over my free thinking.

Originally Posted by jewpinthethird[link]:
"If you get stung by enough bees you turn into a bee,
because the venom gets into the blood stream which
spreads bee DNA throughout your entire body...
changing your genetic structure into a bee's.

Every year roughly 125 people in America are turned into bees this way."

Originally Posted by
MrRubix[link]:
"Do you basically bukkake-paint your walls every time you jack it?"

Originally Posted by All_That_Chaz[link]:
"My pity-sex depreciates at a rate of 5% annually."
OrganisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:07 PM   #24
Sequal
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Sequal

I agree, the reason I'm agnostic, is ultimately i want to know why i should have faith. or for that matter, why have proof? Why have anything, why are we here. and i know no man made book supposedly someone wrote from hearing God, will tell me. I will never Claim the title of Atheist, for that is just another faith. so you know that there is not any god, no religion is correct, everything that you live by is by the rules You make for yourself. Atheism has turned into a religion. you follow yourself, as do many people. People go to church on sunday, atheists do not attend church because they are incorrect. How are you here is the question. not why. who knows why we are here. two main branches depicting how we came to be, start with religion, and science. where is the proof that we were made from the dust by god, and who the hell knows if we evolved from apes. our DNA system is NOT THE SAME. i dont care how many fractions we are from being the same, but we are not. this opens up theories beyond imagination. Ive studied under a lot of religions. Many of them i only stayed with a day or so, but thats enough time to conclude a base for that religion. Over the years, the things and theories of today, are making one big puzzle. I find Religion to God to be a Cult system. I find Atheism a Cult System. Therfore, all i have to ask, in fact, all anyone has to ask, is how are we hear. the answer will link us to the multiple choices of origin. it may or may not disclude religion and or science, it may tear someone in half to find the answer. so maybe we are best left without the answer. The best place to hide something, is right in front of your face.

P.s. i am happy a lot of people posted their thoughts, it gives me more perspective on different things. and for that i thank each and every one of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
Tass, you deserve something at the 20,000 mark, like a title that says "Lifeless Poster"
Sequal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:15 PM   #25
Relambrien
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Relambrien Send a message via MSN to Relambrien

I used to consider myself an agnostic, but now I consider myself an apatheist.

I was unsure about a higher power, because I had seen no evidence for or against one, and yet due to the nature of divine beings (as popularized by humanity), they could possibly exist without giving any sort of evidence to our universe. So I was torn--maybe there was a god, maybe there wasn't. I just didn't know.

Then I eventually just said "Screw it, I don't know, I'm not going to know, it's pointless to even worry about it." At that point I became an apatheist, or someone who believes the question of a higher power is useless. Quite frankly, I just don't care about whether or not there is one.
Relambrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:23 PM   #26
Sequal
FFR Player

Thats the first time ive ever heard of anyone thinking about it like that. (While they understanding it) its an unfamiliar term Apathiesm, but 'Basically' ill ring it down to you because i am now interested in what youll think of my theory

? =Religion =Faith =Agnosticism
\
=Apathiesm =Death =?
/
? =Science =Evolution =Atheism

Quote:
Tass, you deserve something at the 20,000 mark, like a title that says "Lifeless Poster"
Old 09-26-2007, 06:03 PM   #27
Wootsicle
Nothing can stop me now..
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Wootsicle

I'm Agnostic because all of the religions on Earth make absolutely no sense, and use to facts as proof of God, but I do find it impossible for us to not have some sort of higher power. Although this is obvious and previously stated, it's how I feel.
Wootsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:12 PM   #28
Kekeb
davai
FFR Veteran

I do not believe in god as a higher being, but simply what created the universe. An event, a force etc.
Kekeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #29
sp1nzoK
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to sp1nzoK

Well saying you are atheist might be offtopic here but since many have done it already I'm joining in.

Firstly I was raised and still am christian officially, but in my own state of mind I am ultimately atheist. You can say it is believing in not believing but in the end whether it supports faith or not is for the atheist himself to care about. Like Relambrien nicely put that he is an apatheist, I also have that kind of hint in it, I call myself atheist while I don't really care if there possibly really existed higher forces or beings, in short I allow everyone to think for themselves without judging them as inviduals but for me there is no need to have answers for the "ultimate questions" such as, what is the meaning of life, what created universe etc.

In any case, religions in larger scale do tick me off, they are cause for many wars and disjustice. I'm not a fan of blind faith though, people should have some clue what they want to support over peer pressure or tradition.

People name different things as "god" that is certain, for me there is just living in the moment, if there is something after death, then so be it.

Lastly, is it even so necessary to label yourself due to your belief? People like to argue about; what everyone does or doesn't believe in and does that belief require faith or not, some cases aren't even simple to label, I could be apatheist just fine or something else with my thoughts as bottomline, so just relax with the issue and believe in what you want.
sp1nzoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:06 PM   #30
fido123
FFR Player

Personally I'm at a turning point in my religious views. For about four years I've been thinking and I'm defiantly leaning towards Christianity. I began to think how complex the human body is and the odds of life just being created by chance makes be believe something must have come into play. Still not sure on the whole Jesus thing though.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:10 PM   #31
OrganisM
FFR Player

So you're going to say that God exists because our body is complex? That's a ridiculous notion.

Originally Posted by jewpinthethird[link]:
"If you get stung by enough bees you turn into a bee,
because the venom gets into the blood stream which
spreads bee DNA throughout your entire body...
changing your genetic structure into a bee's.

Every year roughly 125 people in America are turned into bees this way."

Originally Posted by
MrRubix[link]:
"Do you basically bukkake-paint your walls every time you jack it?"

Originally Posted by All_That_Chaz[link]:
"My pity-sex depreciates at a rate of 5% annually."
OrganisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:19 PM   #32
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganisM View Post
So you're going to say that God exists because our body is complex? That's a ridiculous notion.

Thats just one reason. I just find that this universe couldn't have been created by random chance.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:24 PM   #33
Verruckter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Verruckter Send a message via MSN to Verruckter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonKey View Post
I am shocked to actually agree with a Tokzic post ...

Atheism is faith. Extreme faith actually. As extreme as any bible thumping zealot on TV shouting about their flavor of the day.

Agnosticism admits one is open minded and undecided... if somewhat apathetic even to the actual answer.
I wouldn't call it exactly faith, but something much alike, and just as strong. To accept that there is no meaning to life other than what we can feel or touch is a pretty big deal.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:30 PM   #34
Sequal
FFR Player

thats your opinion on it though. why did you conclude your opinion that way, some may ask. it really doesnt matter. thats the same thing religion does to you. So the question is, why do you have faith in this religion. or why do you have faith at all? why the **** should any of us care? we are all different yet the same. so look at it this way. there are many different religions, but they all lead up to the same thing later on. How is that thing there?

I would say that Relambrien's post perfectly portrayed his situation. but How is it you dont care anymore?

Quote:
Old 09-26-2007, 09:30 PM   #35
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
im not an atheist because of no proof in god, im an atheist because there is proof of no god.
its called science.
evolution.
I have no problem reconciling the concepts of God and Evolution. If you think the two are mutually exclusive, then I suspect you are labouring under a misunderstanding about the nature of God.

Quote:
Example: A friend says that there is a tree in my room. There is no way he can possibly prove there is a tree in my room, therefore most people would agree that there is not a tree in my room.
I suspect most people would agree that there was no tree because you'd provided sufficient evidence that there was no tree, -not- because he provided insufficient evidence that there was.

Quote:
Do you ever see a Christian truly leaving the nature of God or the existence of Heaven and Hell up to debate? No, they're absolute truths written in a man-made book. Somebody told somebody and somebody wrote things down about somebody else who saw somebody else do something and stuff happen two thousand years ago. Okay, it must have been true.
I see good Christians who are reasonable and rational about their faith do this all the time. Pointing to people who claim the bible is universally infallible and the direct, factual word of God from genesis to revelations and somehow saying that this is representative of the whole faith (When for example, personages such as Pope John Paul II have -stated- that the bible is not literally factual throughout) is to strawman their faith incredibly.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:31 PM   #36
ShAiOnEi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ShAiOnEi Send a message via Yahoo to ShAiOnEi

I believe in god whoever it might be. In my view of god isn't associated with the bible or any other religion just the simple fact that there is a creator of ourselves and the universe which when we die everything will be revealed, the absolute truth.

Epic thread killer

Last edited by ShAiOnEi; 09-26-2007 at 09:33 PM..
ShAiOnEi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:34 PM   #37
Sequal
FFR Player

im happy you feel that way. faith isnt bad, but if it isnt bad, then it isnt good.

Quote:
Old 09-26-2007, 09:39 PM   #38
ShAiOnEi
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequal View Post
im happy you feel that way. faith isnt bad, but if it isnt bad, then it isnt good.
I believe deep down inside that if anyone looked hard enough we would understand that in the end no matter what we believed or believe now you can't deny the fact of a higher existence. I have faith and I'm sure we have a deeper reason for existing than just scientific theories.

Edit: I think this should be moved to critical thinking.

Epic thread killer
Old 09-26-2007, 09:45 PM   #39
Sequal
FFR Player

if you think about it though. Religion is just a theory. you have expanded your mind toward religion. ill set an example.

God cast Satan, one of his loyal angels at side, to a place of sorry. Why?

now how about you get deeper inside your mind.

Satan cast God, one of his loyal angels at side, to a place of sorry. Why?

there are two sides of a story. not just one. if you make an outlook on things, you learn more. some people find that science is more to the truth. other see religion as the all time purpose. what about in between? LIFE. Life is the greatest purpose in my opinion. you dont need to chose a side of life's story, but it doesnt hurt to know both sides. in the end it will help you conclude your thoughts about what will happen beyond the grave. as i always say, Life is a Game, one Card, one Play.

Quote:
Old 09-26-2007, 09:48 PM   #40
ShAiOnEi
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequal View Post
if you think about it though. Religion is just a theory. you have expanded your mind toward religion. ill set an example.

God cast Satan, one of his loyal angels at side, to a place of sorry. Why?

now how about you get deeper inside your mind.

Satan cast God, one of his loyal angels at side, to a place of sorry. Why?

there are two sides of a story. not just one. if you make an outlook on things, you learn more. some people find that science is more to the truth. other see religion as the all time purpose. what about in between? LIFE. Life is the greatest purpose in my opinion. you dont need to chose a side of life's story, but it doesnt hurt to know both sides. in the end it will help you conclude your thoughts about what will happen beyond the grave. as i always say, Life is a Game, one Card, one Play.
I don't believe in heaven or hell. Whether or not the bible is true in any fashion I do not dwell on the stories written in it. I simply believe in a higher existence that is all.

Epic thread killer