Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #201
Senip
Forum User

Default Re: Atheism/Theism thread

Teachings of Jesus Christ. Not someone setting down rules in his name.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #202
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

If Paul's letter to the Ephesians doesn't count, because Paul isn't Christ, then you have to disqualify every account we have about Jesus' words or actions that weren't set down by Christ himself...which is all of them. Which of the "teachings of Christ" that were listed above didn't come from one of the gospels of the apostles, and were instead written by Christ himself?
Old 02-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #203
JJTrixX
Green & Gold ReflexKage
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
You've listed a bunch of positive things, and said 'There, show me one of those that aren't positive' which is ridiculous, and unfalisifiable and has no place in CT. You want to see a teaching of Christ that I consider immoral?

Ephesians 6:5-6

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. 6 Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart.

There's one. It's even New Testament.
Servants, be (continually willing to be voluntarily) submissive to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and gentle, but also to those who are unreasonable. 19 For this finds favor, if for the sake of conscience toward God a man bears up under sorrows when suffering unjustly. 20 For what credit is there if, when you sin and are harshly treated, you endure it with patience? But if when you do what is right and suffer for it you patiently endure it, this finds favor with God. 21 For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps. (Peter 2:18; 19; 20; 21)

Slaves - Although we do not have slaves per se in our modern culture (some of you would argue this point I'm sure!), the master-slave relationship clearly parallels the employer-employee relationship in our day. As in the relationships between husbands and wives and children and fathers, the principle Paul is emphasizing is that of authority and submission as a manifestation of one who is filled with and controlled by the Holy Spirit. Barclay has a note (although it is difficult to substantiate) that in the Romans Empire there were upwards to sixty million slaves, largely because the Roman citizen considered it beneath his dignity to work. Vincent adds that "in many of the cities of Asia Minor slaves outnumbered freemen". Thus practically all work was done by slaves. This was so pervasive that even doctors, teachers and secretaries of the Roman emperors were slaves! Although some masters were kind to their slaves, that appears to be the exception rather than the rule.

Was that the only teaching of Christ that you misunderstood?

Last edited by JJTrixX; 02-17-2013 at 06:51 PM..
Old 02-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #204
Oni-Paranoia
No fucks
FFR Veteran

Quote:
If Paul's letter to the Ephesians doesn't count, because Paul isn't Christ, then you have to disqualify every account we have about Jesus' words or actions that weren't set down by Christ himself...which is all of them. Which of the "teachings of Christ" that were listed above didn't come from one of the gospels of the apostles, and were instead written by Christ himself?
Counter-post before a post. GG

On a similar note, I would assume agnostic?
Old 02-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #205
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
Oh, you're one of those. Okay, good thing I saved myself all that time.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #206
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTrixX View Post
Servants, be (continually willing to be voluntarily) submissive to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and gentle, but also to those who are unreasonable. 19 For this finds favor, if for the sake of conscience toward God a man bears up under sorrows when suffering unjustly. 20 For what credit is there if, when you sin and are harshly treated, you endure it with patience? But if when you do what is right and suffer for it you patiently endure it, this finds favor with God. 21 For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps. (Peter 2:18; 19; 20; 21)

Slaves - Although we do not have slaves per se in our modern culture (some of you would argue this point I'm sure!), the master-slave relationship clearly parallels the employer-employee relationship in our day. As in the relationships between husbands and wives and children and fathers, the principle Paul is emphasizing is that of authority and submission as a manifestation of one who is filled with and controlled by the Holy Spirit. Barclay has a note (although it is difficult to substantiate) that in the Romans Empire there were upwards to sixty million slaves, largely because the Roman citizen considered it beneath his dignity to work. Vincent adds that "in many of the cities of Asia Minor slaves outnumbered freemen". Thus practically all work was done by slaves. This was so pervasive that even doctors, teachers and secretaries of the Roman emperors were slaves! Although some masters were kind to their slaves, that appears to be the exception rather than the rule.

gg ambiguity eh?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #207
FFRN00B90210
Banned

my entire post gets overlooked and you guys continue to validate this guys brain

do you guys really need to feel that much better about yourselves? apparently.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #208
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTrixX View Post
11. "GIVE TO THE POOR TO PLEASE GOD, NOT TO GAIN APPROVAL
FROM OTHER PEOPLE."

4. "LET PEOPLE SEE YOUR GOOD WORKS." (Do not hide your light
under a basket.)
Couldn't make it one post without a contradiction..

Also, why can I not follow these tenets and not believe in God? Oh, that's right because I'm too busy worrying about my own atheist ass to care about anything ever. You're extremely misguided if you think that all atheists are self-serving assholes with no care or interest in the well-being of others.

Last edited by rushyrulz; 02-17-2013 at 07:20 PM..
Old 02-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #209
JJTrixX
Green & Gold ReflexKage
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Oh, you're one of those. Okay, good thing I saved myself all that time.
kinda difficult to dispute the truth isn't it? You know i love you right
Old 02-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #210
adlp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolboyrulez0 View Post
devonin gets trolled itt
jjtrixx doing a great job here imo
Old 02-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #211
FFRN00B90210
Banned

someone lock this or something, none of this is critical thinking.

devonin, you're just digging yourself a hole responding to this guy who is obviously just not very bright.

Last edited by FFRN00B90210; 02-17-2013 at 07:38 PM..
Old 02-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #212
adlp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

i think this topic should be locked on every forum from any website because this is how it will always turn out
Old 02-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #213
FFRN00B90210
Banned

natalya simonova detected
Old 02-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #214
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just because it doesn't change the vocal individual's opinion on a forum doesn't mean it doesn't change other people's opinions.

Also FFRN00B90210, I did read your post and I agree with you, it's pretty ridiculous. The fact you mentioned that these discussions turn into fucking bookworks is quite tiring. It's basically people's ignorance/inability to google something being answered with evidence (wich is usually long if well substantiated) and as soon as that evidence is posted they shift to some other point where evidence contradicts their beliefs requiring MORE evidence to disprove beliefs that need validation in the first place, not disproval.

Last edited by Nullifidian; 02-17-2013 at 07:55 PM..
Old 02-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #215
JJTrixX
Green & Gold ReflexKage
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ View Post
Just because it doesn't change the vocal individual's opinion on a forum doesn't mean it doesn't change other people's opinions.
Well said. I'm always glad to get these atheists/agnostics thinking. Sorry for assuming you were an atheist devonin. I'm interested to know what your belief/knowledge-of/philosophy is. I'm always open to an honest discussion of any belief including my own.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #216
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ View Post
It's basically people's ignorance/inability to google something being answered with evidence (wich is usually long if well substantiated) and as soon as that evidence is posted they shift to some other point where evidence contradicts their beliefs requiring MORE evidence to disprove beliefs that need validation in the first place, not disproval.
'tis called "moving the goalposts"

I think my frustration comes from the fact that nearly every single religious person I've ever encountered does the exact same stuff during an argument. After a certain point I'm just convinced that they don't *really* care that much about what's true, but rather what makes them feel the best.

A big part of it, too, is education. To be an atheist (and to understand why it's technically the "better" option if your goal is truth value) requires an understanding of logic, physics, statistics, biology, history, philosophy, astronomy, psychology/cognitive biases, chemistry, etc -- and you can't really provide all that education to someone yourself, let alone in one sitting -- and it's not like they really care to listen most of the time anyway.

You can tell someone that they're moving the goalposts / invoking argument from ignorance / appealing to utility / using a false equivalence until the cows come home, but at the end of the day they simply don't care.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 02-17-2013 at 11:56 PM..
Old 02-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #217
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
...but at the end of the day they simply don't care.
which is what makes arguments like this pointless to be in. watching them though is a completely different story
Old 02-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #218
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I don't even find them fun to watch anymore because they usually unravel the same way, and it honestly just makes me depressed that we're so far behind other first-world countries when it comes to this crap, lol. We'll get there eventually, but it's so long overdue.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #219
FFRN00B90210
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
I don't even find them fun to watch anymore because they usually unravel the same way, and it honestly just makes me depressed that we're so far behind other first-world countries when it comes to this crap, lol. We'll get there eventually, but it's so long overdue.
pretty much man
Old 02-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #220
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

"Do not take the lord's name in vain" is pretty ironic considering how vain "the lord" actually is.