Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-7-2008, 11:39 PM   #2941
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru
Default Re: Super Smash Brothers Brawl

So what if matches last longer? When we play Brawl, we play for more than an hour straight, game after game. It's not like we play any less because the matches are shorter.

~Tsugomaru
When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-7-2008, 11:47 PM   #2942
Shoe The Almighty
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrombean View Post
So does playing with incorrect handicaps or lessened percent rates.

Longer does not necessarily mean better.

And in fact, if it's that much slower to go without items, in the same time you should then be able to play MORE item matches, and anyone who knows anything about stats would tell you that more sample info leads to more accurate result data.
Actually for me, longer matches ARE better. Me and my friends are really into the battles and the longer they are, the better. The rare times we do with items, the matches....are annoying. Everyone is trying to collect the item instead of rushing into battle...and that’s not fun. Items seems to be more of a cheating thing if you ask me. What better way to win, than to throw random crap at your opponent? If your a kind of person who needs the items to win a match, then go ahead and use items.
Shoe The Almighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2008, 01:16 AM   #2943
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Play on slow-mo with low handicaps, 0.5x damage, metal characters.

Matches will last you a long time.

Also, you're saying you're battling your way to an item and that takes away from battling. What?
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2008, 01:32 AM   #2944
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom

Sometimes its nice to play with items off, on low, or a mix of low/med with some items selected as off. Though sometimes I like all the cheap items on high.

Regardless, losing because of cheapness = not fun. Winning because of cheapness is though.... haha

I usually prefer items on medium or low, with a lot of the cheapest ones taken out. Usually like to keep stuff where people prefer to throw instead of using. Throwing is fun.

Items vs no items..... DRASTICALLY different gameplay.
banditcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2008, 07:35 AM   #2945
JonXia
FFR Player

But a great battler can go between no items and items easily and be able to use items to maximum efficiency!

JonXia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2008, 07:46 AM   #2946
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonXia View Post
But a great battler can go between no items and items easily and be able to use items to maximum efficiency!
That's the argument that some of us are trying to make but certain others just keep saying "items bad grurgh me no want use items!"
Old 04-8-2008, 08:11 AM   #2947
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrGiggles Send a message via MSN to MrGiggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
That's the argument that some of us are trying to make but certain others just keep saying "items bad grurgh me no want use items!"
That much I get and respect, but I'd greatly prefer it if, somehow, item placement and spawn time wasn't so random. That's the most off-putting thing about items to me.

That, and it seems like every time I airdodge I grab something I don't want. D:
Old 04-8-2008, 10:35 AM   #2948
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

Uh, no, Shox. Final Destination, items off, Fox only.

It's the only way to determine true and complete skill.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2008, 10:43 AM   #2949
JonXia
FFR Player

Some SSB tournaments that me and my friends have has items or no items in matches. This is why they have the item modifier, you can choose which ones you want. The items make matches more fun and more challenging in my opinion. Too many people think that "I am a better fighter, I don't use items". Well, we can have a hardcore battle with no items and I win, but when I switch on any item you go nuts because you know "I'll lose, you'll get me with a cheapshot". Well, learn how to dodge items, it will improve your adaptability and skill. Like that one guy said in Dodgeball "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a dodgeball"

JonXia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2008, 12:53 PM   #2950
Shoe The Almighty
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonXia View Post
Some SSB tournaments that me and my friends have has items or no items in matches. This is why they have the item modifier, you can choose which ones you want. The items make matches more fun and more challenging in my opinion. Too many people think that "I am a better fighter, I don't use items". Well, we can have a hardcore battle with no items and I win, but when I switch on any item you go nuts because you know "I'll lose, you'll get me with a cheapshot". Well, learn how to dodge items, it will improve your adaptability and skill. Like that one guy said in Dodgeball "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a dodgeball"
It's easier to dodge a item than to dodge a fist in your face
Old 04-8-2008, 01:07 PM   #2951
Flaming_Dingleberry
Everybody gets one.
FFR Veteran

All decent players can play both with and without items, there's no way to prove which is better. If you're arguing whether one is better or worse, you're forcing your opinion on everyone, because it just depends on who you are. I don't play with items because they get in the way, but some people like that. I'd rather be the person who killed the dumbass who dodged into a walking bob-omb. There's way more accidents in an item match, and I play fair, because it's easier to have more fun that way (less yelling). Items aren't bad, but a lot of people like them for the wrong reason, you winning-obsessed, edge-hogging, juggling, item whores. Smash balls are awesome though.
Flaming_Dingleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2008, 01:11 PM   #2952
Shoe The Almighty
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming_Dingleberry View Post
All decent players can play both with and without items, there's no way to prove which is better. If you're arguing whether one is better or worse, you're forcing your opinion on everyone, because it just depends on who you are. I don't play with items because they get in the way, but some people like that. I'd rather be the person who killed the dumbass who dodged into a walking bob-omb. There's way more accidents in an item match, and I play fair, because it's easier to have more fun that way (less yelling). Items aren't bad, but a lot of people like them for the wrong reason, you winning-obsessed, edge-hogging, juggling, item whores. Smash balls are awesome though.
I'd say "winning-obsessed, edge-hogging, juggling, item whores" explains half of the brawl players.
Old 04-8-2008, 01:23 PM   #2953
Shoe The Almighty
FFR Player

I got a question. How many brawl players let a person get back on the stage after sending them flying in the air?

Me and Dingling Flaming berry of suicidal old people (flaming dingleberry) do it. I do it because I want to give the other person a chance to get back into the fight. I don't juggle either because it annoys me when someone juggles me so I don't do it to other people.
Old 04-8-2008, 01:42 PM   #2954
Flaming_Dingleberry
Everybody gets one.
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoe The Almighty View Post
I got a question. How many brawl players let a person get back on the stage after sending them flying in the air?

Me and Dingling Flaming berry of suicidal old people (flaming dingleberry) do it. I do it because I want to give the other person a chance to get back into the fight. I don't juggle either because it annoys me when someone juggles me so I don't do it to other people.
It's annoying when people defend this, LET THEM BACK UP! It's easier to hit them when they're unable to fight back, trying to get back on the stage after getting hit, which is the only reason you assholes (half the Brawl community) do it. Random dumbass Brawler: "Well, it's their own fault for getting knocked out" **** you idiots, you're just too much of a bitch to continue fighting so you have to knock him out before he can actually throw a punch, and why? So you can win, what the hell's the point in winning if you spent the whole match luring him to the edge and knocking him over again and again? Random dumbass Brawler: "He should learn by now" well, if he sucks that badly, just fight him, he'll learn more that way, and you won't look like a pussy. If this applies to you, I don't want to hear your argument, you're a ***, and juggling is the same thing, dick. Random dumbass Brawler: "You just hate it because 1. you can't do it / 2. you can't handle it" I can juggle and edge hog and bitchslap any one who tries to do it to me, it's just no fun. If you're good at the game and you juggle, that's the only reason you win, otherwise you wouldn't do it.
Flaming_Dingleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2008, 02:30 PM   #2955
zidart
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoe The Almighty View Post

i don't like edge guarding... i don't like to frustrate my enemy because the point is to have fun...and those who have played with me know that if i'm playing an item match with someone that doesn't like items i would pick up the bomb-obs and throw them away, and if someone dies in a unfair way i would kill myself to make it even... though if i'm in a competition or someone makes me mad i won't do these things (do to others what you want others do for you ).
zidart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2008, 02:31 PM   #2956
l2awr
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to l2awr Send a message via MSN to l2awr Send a message via Yahoo to l2awr

Quote:
It's annoying when people defend this, LET THEM BACK UP! It's easier to hit them when they're unable to fight back, trying to get back on the stage after getting hit, which is the only reason you assholes (half the Brawl community) do it. Random dumbass Brawler: "Well, it's their own fault for getting knocked out" **** you idiots, you're just too much of a bitch to continue fighting so you have to knock him out before he can actually throw a punch, and why? So you can win, what the hell's the point in winning if you spent the whole match luring him to the edge and knocking him over again and again? Random dumbass Brawler: "He should learn by now" well, if he sucks that badly, just fight him, he'll learn more that way, and you won't look like a pussy. If this applies to you, I don't want to hear your argument, you're a ***, and juggling is the same thing, dick. Random dumbass Brawler: "You just hate it because 1. you can't do it / 2. you can't handle it" I can juggle and edge hog and bitchslap any one who tries to do it to me, it's just no fun. If you're good at the game and you juggle, that's the only reason you win, otherwise you wouldn't do it.

lol!!!!!!!!!! AIR DODGE ANYTIME
l2awr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2008, 02:39 PM   #2957
Shamo0
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Shamo0

Quote:
Juggling is an essential part of brawl. There's a reason characters have three jumps and can airdodge at any time. Even in the "How to play" video it tells you do this. Your argument is lame. It simply is saying you don't support skill. It takes skill not to get juggled. It also takes skill to perform juggles. Lol, I can't believe i actually responded to this lol

Hell even the computer edgegaurds. It's a tactic that even the developers acknowledge. So... Stop sucking lawl.

Nintendo Network ID: BigBadShamoo

Last edited by Shamo0; 04-8-2008 at 02:41 PM..
Shamo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2008, 05:20 PM   #2958
Silvuh
quit
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsona View Post
Shoe and Flaming, stop postwhoring.
Nice job contributing to the thread.

My quick opinion about edge guarding... I'm probably missing something about the definition of it, but...
If your goal is to win, I don't see why you should let an opponent you knocked out back on to the stage. If you've been fighting in the middle, say you land a strong smash attack that makes your opponent fly off to one side of the stage. Why wouldn't you rush over to the edge and knock them back farther? If they can't get back on the stage, they won't be able to hurt you. (If they used their up-B to recover, they wouldn't be able to, anyway. If they only jumped, they'd be able to counter your attempt at knocking back.)
About the "you should have learned by now" argument... I don't see what's wrong about it. If your edge-guarding opponent has killed you several times by you getting shot off from the edge, why would you keep falling for the same trap? Lure your opponent away with long-range attacks, or roll around the player and throw him in to the middle.

Just to make sure I'm understanding this... "Edge guarding" is when they only fight at the edge or something, to make it easier to smash someone off the stage? And "juggling" is not letting someone back to the ground?

[offsubject]
(This all being on Melee by the way).
Three kinds of attacks annoy me. Down As, standard As, and of course, long-range grabs. When you throw an enemy up, they will often down-A back at you. When you roll around them, they'll turn quick and pull out rapid As. I'm not good at avoiding those continuous A attacks like Mr. Game & Watch's Green House. When you come near an enemy with a ranged grab, they are often likely to pick you up before you can land a blow.
Link appears to be really easy to play as. He has a strong down-A attack, a side-A with an extra swing, and a ranged grab. Despite always playing as Falco, I was able to defeat a level 9 computer (yes, Final Destination, no items, four stock) just as easily with Link, who I rarely play as. Surprisingly, the only character, other than Falco, who I could knock off the opponent twice before being killed once was Zelda. But I wasn't as good when it came to two opponents.

Question:
Anyone know a good tactic to counter long-range grabs?

Last edited by Silvuh; 04-8-2008 at 09:51 PM..
Silvuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2008, 07:08 PM   #2959
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Ok now that's just stupid.

Letting people get back up?

What idiot would do that?

Items rock for this since you can throw them off the stage while they're trying their best to get back up and finish them off =)
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2008, 07:14 PM   #2960
l2awr
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to l2awr Send a message via MSN to l2awr Send a message via Yahoo to l2awr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
Ok now that's just stupid.

Letting people get back up?

What idiot would do that?

Items rock for this since you can throw them off the stage while they're trying their best to get back up and finish them off =)
At least you have more common sense then that dude. Thats reassuring
l2awr is offline   Reply With Quote