Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2012, 11:49 PM   #121
Senip
Forum User

Default Re: The Fitness Thread

Creatine Monohydrate has never bloated me up. The problem with a lot of brands is they lace their shit with sugar, and just dont tell you, so they can make more money.

I personally use almost solely Universal Nutrition (and Animal, a sub group of them) and NOW Foods and truenutrition.com (I have a 1000 gram tub of leucine, 1000 gram tub of Creatine Mono, and I had karboload which is ****ing amazing for postwo). For supps from Uni, I use Ultra Whey Pro, Ultra Iso Whey, Shock Therapy (holy shit awesome prewo), Torrent (postwo) and a few misc things like fish oil etc.

Do you guys take in a lot of EFAs? I take 1 pack of Animal Omega (which is 7 grams) with breakfast and 3 grams of Fish Oil with the rest of the meals, and my skin has tightened up/smoothed out. I'd take 2 packs of Omega which would be cool because then I'd just hit everything I need with 2 packs, but Omega is 20 bucks for 30 packs, so...

I use MCT Oil (basically distilled coconut oil so you dont have all the carbs) and EVOO to cook with.

Quote:
but around 1 gram/lb seems perfectly sufficient. 1.5 is definitely a waste. 0.5 is definitely not enough.
Yeah, I don't really do my bodyweight, I like to stick to LBM because I'm still trying to lose.

Back workout today, my trainer is beating the unholy hell out of my lats because my traps are so overdeveloped that when I try to flex my lats, I just flex my traps. He's trying to get the motions down so that when I go through the poses, I actually pull them out: it just hurts like a sonavabitch.

Last edited by Senip; 08-13-2012 at 11:52 PM..
Senip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #122
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Eeerrrrrr...
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #123
i heart candy
Retired
FFR Veteran

Creatine is just stupid imo.

i heart candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #124
Mike Weedmark
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
However, protein powders are nice because it's an isolated, quick, tasty way to get a protein fix without worrying about adding too many carbs/fats to your intake (for instance, the powder I have supplies 140 calories, 30 grams of protein, 2 grams of carbs, and 1 gram of fat per scoop). Of course, I could eat half a chicken breast and get pretty much the same thing + all the additional nutrients, but not everyone wants to cook/eat so much chicken -- they like to have a variety of things to eat/drink throughout the day.
You must tell me where you get your chickens.

Last edited by Mike Weedmark; 08-14-2012 at 10:36 AM..
Mike Weedmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #125
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

I get my chickens at costco for 7 dollars and by weight the breasts usually have about 50 grams of protein in them.

I supplement Whey (Vanilla right now, got 5 lb for $30 at costco), Creatine mono, Omega 3s. BCAAs are useful if you train fasted, as are preworkouts. Yohimbe and some other fat burners also seem pretty useful if you're cutting.

Quote:
Creatine is just stupid imo.
Well, your body produces it naturally and you'd be dead without it. So.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #126
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Weedmark View Post
You must tell me where you get your chickens.
I get the Kirkland brand from Costco (boneless/skinless). I weighed each chicken breast and they were about 10 ounces each with very little deviation. Per 4 ounces, it's something like 110 calories, 1.5g fat, 0g carbs, 25g protein.

So this chicken breast at 10 ounces would be the previous figures multiplied by 2.5, meaning 275 calories, 3.75g fat, 0g carbs, 62.5g protein.

Half of a breast is therefore something like ~140 calories ~2g fat and ~30g protein which isn't much different from a scoop of my protein powder which is also 140 calories with 30g protein and virtually no fat/carbs per scoop. Of course, chicken has all the extra nutrients and whatnot.

However, that's also why I just take a multivitamin in the morning to cover my bases.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #127
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
I get my chickens at costco for 7 dollars and by weight the breasts usually have about 50 grams of protein in them.

I supplement Whey (Vanilla right now, got 5 lb for $30 at costco), Creatine mono, Omega 3s. BCAAs are useful if you train fasted, as are preworkouts. Yohimbe and some other fat burners also seem pretty useful if you're cutting.

Well, your body produces it naturally and you'd be dead without it. So.
Most people who are young/new to lifting tend to think creatine is really bad for you, and I don't know why. Most people are like "I GAIN WEIGHT!" but if you get a decent brand, you won't. Besides, most people are looking to get bigger, right? Creatine is one of the only things that is scientifically proven (with tons of research to back it up) to help grow your muscles.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #128
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

i'm dripped sweat playing SM. i'm in shape. right?
Old 08-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #129
Mike Weedmark
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I heard somewhere that sweating is how your body responds to anticipation of physical activity, and that people who sweat more tend to be more fit, and that fat people actually don't sweat much relative to the same activity level.

Myth?

Last edited by Mike Weedmark; 08-14-2012 at 02:52 PM..
Mike Weedmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #130
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I wasn't saying creatine is bad. It definitely helped with getting a few more reps while working out. I just prefer to have my weight gains strictly from lean muscle mass, and not from muscle retention. I heard Hyper FX by BSN had the same benefits of creatine, just without the water retention. I'll probably look into it soon.

I take a multi vitamin every morning, along with fish oils.
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #131
Emanresu13
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmay View Post
i'm dripped sweat playing SM. i'm in shape. right?
i sweat playing SM sometimes, i'm TOTALLY IN SHAPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Weedmark View Post
Myth?
i think that would be a myth
Emanresu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #132
00Razor00
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to 00Razor00 Send a message via Skype™ to 00Razor00

to sum up this thread: you're all fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
hey buddy are you looking for a good song to step because if so i really recommend you step In Front Of A Bus
00Razor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #133
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison- View Post
I wasn't saying creatine is bad. It definitely helped with getting a few more reps while working out. I just prefer to have my weight gains strictly from lean muscle mass, and not from muscle retention. I heard Hyper FX by BSN had the same benefits of creatine, just without the water retention. I'll probably look into it soon.

I take a multi vitamin every morning, along with fish oils.
I wouldnt trust most things by BSN, Cytosports (muscle milk), Optimum Nutrition, and uh. The one who sponsors Phil Heath. They were busted a few years back (1-2) for putting cadmium and lead in their stuff, and I just haven't really given them the benefit of the doubt since.

I still think you should give creatine a shot: it forces water into your muscles, helping them get a few more reps like you said, but it also helps keep them fuller and "pop" better. Just get something that isnt laced with sugar. Creapure, Creatine Gluconate, and regular Creatine Mono are all great, and you can get them for a really good deal at truenutrition, where you know whats going into everything.

For basic supps, they put up a tier list on the forum I go to, let me post it up:

Quote:
Tier 1 (Staples. Don't leave home without them.)
Multivitamin- Basic micronutrient support in order to maintain an internal anabolic environment and stay healthy. I use Pak.
Protein Powder/MRPs/Weight Gainers- A high protein macronutrient supplement for in between whole food meals and postworkout. Critical. I like Ultra Whey Pro, Ultra Iso Whey, Pro & Oats, Torrent and Real Gains.
Creatine- A proven performance optimizer and volumizer. Straight creatine mono can be found cheap and is very effective. It is also found in many preworkouts. Currently I get mine from two scoops of Shock Therapy, but a tsp of straight white works well.

Tier 2 (Pluses. Love to include these in my training to take it up a level.)
Aminos- Great for recovery and anabolism. They worked 40 years ago and they work now (Probably Tier 1 for a dieting athlete, as would be a fat burner). I like Nitro and Atomic 7.
EFAs- Awesome for metabolism and hormone production, plus critical to overall health. I like Omega and Fish Oil.
Preworkouts- These are more critical for some than others. Were I being completely honest, these would be Tier 1 for me personally. If you work long days and live on a 24 hour schedule, you need a little stimulant kick in the ass some days and all of the pump ingredients are a huge bonus. I use Shock Therapy and/or Rage.
Joint Support- The harder and heavier you train and the more mileage you've got, the more important this kind of supplement can be. If you're dealing with the inevitable everyday dings and nicks of the iron game, you feel me. I use Flex.

Tier 3 (Luxuries. Nice to have but not always necessary. Often cycled on and off.)
Test Boosters- Herbal test support can always come in handy, especially for the drug free athlete that is 25 or older. I like N1-T.
Fat Burners- Important for dieting athletes and those that are precontest, these specialty supplements should be used only when really needed, so as to maximize their efficacy.
General Anabolics- These are products that can positively contribute to your bodybuilding goals by helping with anabolic processes like nutrient partitioning and nitrogen retention. M-Stak is a great example. NSC too.
Specialty Supplements- These are products that serve a very specific purpose. Animal PM and ZMA Pro for sleep support and nighttime recovery are perfect examples.
This is on the animal pak forum, so theyre obviously going to show only the animal/universal/sportpharma stuff.

I would personally bump the joint support/EFAs up to tier one, but I'm old and have a lot of old football/wrestling/lifting injuries, and if I don't take my Animal Flex I feel like I've been hit by a truck and everything hurts.

A new multi-v that I've been eyeing lately is Univite:
http://www.dpsnutrition.net/i/13318/...in-120-cap.htm

if you're broke, there's always http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sport/sport.htm

I feel like a sales rep, but I'm just trying to steer people away from making poor choices. Universal/Sportpharma/Animal have always been very classy, and they've never been under the gun for screwing around with the items to try to make a quick buck.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #134
Findarian
Offical Best Poster 2012
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Razor00 View Post
to sum up this thread: Findarian is fit
thanks <3

PARTY TIME IN TGB

Findarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #135
00Razor00
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to 00Razor00 Send a message via Skype™ to 00Razor00

yeah, i'd hit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
hey buddy are you looking for a good song to step because if so i really recommend you step In Front Of A Bus
00Razor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #136
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Continuing my quest to attack broscience:

What do you guys think about sodium? (I suspect it doesn't matter much unless you've got high blood pressure or something to begin with)

Last edited by Reincarnate; 08-14-2012 at 03:35 PM..
Old 08-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #137
Senip
Forum User

I think that if you're eating non-processed food, a little sodium won't really hurt you. I personally like to put a little soy sauce on chicken for work.

But if you're pouring salt onto something that's processed and has a ridiculous amount of sodium to begin with, then you might run into some issues. As long as you drink lots of water though, you should be fine.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #138
Emanresu13
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

just want to concur here

the big theme in all of this, it doesn't matter what you put into your body

what matters is how your body processes/utilizes/removes what you put in, and if there are any methods of improving efficiency

ultimately you could drink a few gallons of bleach and be fine, if your body could appropriately handle it...

i know i went way too far into the big picture here

Last edited by Emanresu13; 08-14-2012 at 04:16 PM..
Emanresu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #139
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
Continuing my quest to attack broscience:

What do you guys think about sodium? (I suspect it doesn't matter much unless you've got high blood pressure or something to begin with)
I tend to avoid it for the most part, but like Senip said, as long as you're not pouring that shit all over your food you should be fine.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #140
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Another solid workout today. Feeling better everyday. Biked 8k and did a nice shoulder and ab workout.

I'll look into creatine a bit more. I just don't want to gain weight like I did last time I had it. If I do decide to go with it, I'll make sure it's high quality from a good brand.
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote