Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Audio and Music Production
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-4-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default [Breakcore] A New Beginning

Mmm my audio interface arrived today and this is the first thing I set down and did.
Mixing and to a lesser extent, mastering is fun as fuck for me now, almost moreso than the actual composing hehe
It seems that once I obtain my studio monitors for Christmas I wont be able to stop making music... it's too much fun :>
Enough preface, just a simple tune to show im still alive etc.

https://soundcloud.com/cbr/a-new-beginning

Enjoy guys, much more stuff coming soon, be it older remastered or brand new.

PS: New soundcloud design is up also... get hyped, fellas!

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 12-4-2012 at 08:53 AM..
Coolboyrulez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-5-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Coolboyrulez0
VICES

Default Re: [Breakcore] A New Beginning

Was this good / bad from a composition standpoint? How about the mixing?

No comments on songs make me sad

Edit: Yeah they'll further help me to mix my tracks better which I have been obsessing about recently, such as going back and remixing / mastering old tunes of mine.
(because first I mixed on broken turtle beaches and now I'm mixing with random 1990s headphones from my grandparents going into my sound interface lmao)

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 12-5-2012 at 04:28 PM..
Old 12-5-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Nick Skyline
Retired from VSRGs
FFR Veteran

One comment on song makes you happy. I liked. I really liked.

Those studio monitors are really going to come in handy, I take it?
Nick Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
StoneMcKnuckle
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolboyrulez0 View Post
Was this good / bad from a composition standpoint? How about the mixing?
This type of genre is so far removed from my personal taste and experience with music that I really don't feel comfortable giving you criticism as far as composition goes.
Honestly, that goes for many of your tracks. I just don't know how much of what I'd be saying would be nonsense based solely on personal preference.

Mixing-wise I don't really have anything to add. I tend to find the main issue with songs like these is usually that the kick overpowers everything else, but everything's audible here and sounds perfectly fine to me.
As far as filling out the frequencies for a broader soundscape, that's something I often struggle with myself 'cause my ears are gay and bad so I can't really help you there either. :/
StoneMcKnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Coolboyrulez0
VICES

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneMcKnuckle View Post
This type of genre is so far removed from my personal taste and experience with music that I really don't feel comfortable giving you criticism as far as composition goes.
Honestly, that goes for many of your tracks. I just don't know how much of what I'd be saying would be nonsense based solely on personal preference.

Mixing-wise I don't really have anything to add. I tend to find the main issue with songs like these is usually that the kick overpowers everything else, but everything's audible here and sounds perfectly fine to me.
As far as filling out the frequencies for a broader soundscape, that's something I often struggle with myself 'cause my ears are gay and bad so I can't really help you there either. :/
Funny enough, soon I'll start introducing another project (aka a different alias) of mine in a totally different genre to FFR, perhaps that will resonate with more people.

But I have to agree, breakcore or the bastardized versions of that genre that I make are hard to critique. Many even argue about what makes breakcore, breakcore. Is it the breaks? The samples? Does it have a defined structure? Many say it's just the general character, but I digress.

Thanks for checking it out.
Old 12-7-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
V-Ormix
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

so now you have an interface, do you use it to record anything or just for your monitors? I need to get an interface as well - when I get my monitors/xs rackmount I'll have loads more fun.

edit: btw also loved the kick, its got that dist crunch to it and nice atomsphere on that pad.

Last edited by V-Ormix; 12-7-2012 at 12:30 PM..
V-Ormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
Coolboyrulez0
VICES

I bought it obviously for my monitors in mind and for having a pretty much latency free interface for use in my DAW

It'll allow me to obviously connect so much more, like drum pads and keyboards (midi controllers) once I wish to purchase those again.
Perhaps even some real synths for shits and giggles if I find them for the right price. Basically, it's the centerpiece of my slowly-assembling Homestudio haha

PS: Someone should make a thread where we compare what hardware and software we use to make our lovely tunes. Too lazy atm xD

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 12-7-2012 at 12:38 PM..
Old 12-7-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
V-Ormix
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

yeah ill want a interface mostly to record external hardware because its dedicated :X I don't want ram or processing power to be an issue of any sort in my future studio. All my computer will have to do is feed midi to my synths/sound modules and record the spdif inputs 8)
V-Ormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
Ohaider
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

dat be some well mixing you have there 10/10
Ohaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I feel like the melody in the first half is out of tune on some notes, giving the melody an awkward sound and the song is very structured/layered for a breakcore song. Out of tune melodies can work (and is done a lot in breakcore) but this melody doesn't bring something interesting in doing so. Some of the instruments overpower the others a lot, obscuring things such as melody in the second half and the ending of the speedcore part is kind of cheesy and sudden lol. I do like how it picks up to speedcore at 2:18 but imo the song needs more variation in instrument usage and more breakdowns / buildups too. The way you seem to structure songs is you layer instruments, fade out one and add another, fade out one and add another, etc. which gives a very monotonous feel, and that's something you should work on because it's applicable to every genre.

Last edited by Nullifidian; 12-8-2012 at 01:26 PM..
Nullifidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
Coolboyrulez0
VICES

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ View Post
I feel like the melody in the first half is out of tune on some notes, giving the melody an awkward sound
It's in harmonic minor (iirc) and all notes are in harmony with the chords I created.

Quote:
and the song is very structured/layered for a breakcore song.
Precisely the breakcore I enjoy producing and listening to.

Quote:
Some of the instruments overpower the others a lot, obscuring things such as melody in the second half and the ending of the speedcore part is kind of cheesy and sudden lol.
The kick is supposed to sound the way it is, as is with everything else.
And yes, the kick and amen do take priority over the melody in the latter half, this is intended.
I will give you that the introduction of a speedcore part (didnt even think about it that way) is too sudden and random. Perhaps more buildup for this.
Everything is EQ'd at the right (k)Hz and should sound proper.

Quote:
The way you seem to structure songs is you layer instruments, fade out one and add another, fade out one and add another, etc. which gives a very monotonous feel, and that's something you should work on because it's applicable to every genre.
Yup that's how I structure songs, except not always with fading but rather via the introduction of FX.
Although this isn't applicable to everything I make, I don't see how it's a bad thing -- many other successful artists do this to, but obviously more successfully than me.
It's not like I'm making free jazz or something where this would be utterly horrible as a concept and execution.

That being said, if you don't enjoy this composition or even the way I structure things is I can only say you won't like future works either.
(think of this as a signature, it's unique but some may think it looks ugly, it's hard to read etc.) Sorry you didn't like it but I can't please everyone.

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 12-8-2012 at 01:51 PM..
Old 12-8-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
ninjaKIWI
plain old ugly ass dumbas
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ninjaKIWI

Quote:
I am a complete dumbass when it comes to taking constructive criticism!
Just sayin.
"Hey Foil. What's that you got there?" inquired Keywii.
"Oh, just my cock." Replied Foil.
"That just will not do." was keywii's response as she lunged for the scissors, pulled the blades apart, and clamped them down on the base of foil's shaft. Blood start gushing out of the wound where his penis used to be.
"NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Yelled Foil in horror.
"Don't worry. I'm a wizard" uttered Keywii. And with that, Foil's penis grew back.
ninjaKIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
Coolboyrulez0
VICES

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaKIWI View Post
I jump into a conversation, as Tristan's buttbuddy, to defend him, when clearly my output is not wanted nor needed. Additionally, I have no knowledge about the subject matter and most likely smell and look like shit.
Just sayin'.

PS: It was shitty criticism, dabbled in subjectivity and was vague. I told Tristan this also and he's gonna re-reply seeing as apparently I made him and you butthurt.

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 12-8-2012 at 02:11 PM..
Old 12-8-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
ninjaKIWI

Quote:
Just sayin'.

PS: It was shitty criticism, dabbled in subjectivity and was vague. I told Tristan this also and he's gonna re-reply seeing as apparently I made him and you butthurt.
Even if all of this were true, none if it changes that you're handling criticism like a four year old.
"That just will not do." was keywii's response as she lunged for the scissors, pulled the blades apart, and clamped them down on the base of foil's shaft. Blood start gushing out of the wound where his penis used to be.
"Don't worry. I'm a wizard" uttered Keywii. And with that, Foil's penis grew back.
Old 12-8-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
Coolboyrulez0
VICES

Uh, what?

Am I being trolled or are you literally a fucking vegetable in the brain? Not quite sure.

Regardless of how shitty his critique was I addressed every single point, fairly and gave my reasoning as to why it is the way it is.
No profanity, no hostility, just my reasoning, like it or not.

You just butted in with a flamebait and now you got what you came for. Go back to lurking and spare me having to read your shitty posts.

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 12-8-2012 at 02:20 PM..
Old 12-8-2012, 02:19 PM   #16
ninjaKIWI

Quote:
Uh, what?

Am I being trolled or are you literally a fucking vegetable in the brain? Not quite sure.

Regardless of how shitty his critique was I addressed every single point, fairly and gave my reasoning as to why it is the way it is. lmfao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan
I don't like the way this part sounds!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr
Yeah well that's the way I WANT it!
okay
Old 12-8-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
Coolboyrulez0
VICES

Because it IS the way I want it.
He can critique the work as much as he wants, I'm not OBLIGED to change it because one single goddamn person doesn't enjoy something on the track.

PS: Had he said, that my song was out of scale or mixed improperly if it was, then this would be a different discussion. (hint: it isnt)
I can dissect melodies I like or don't like all day and not come to a conclusive answer why I enjoy a certain composition over others,
he doesn't enjoy it, I do. I don't see the issue here, he doesnt like the song and I'm okay with that. I will not change the song because he doesn't enjoy it though.

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 12-8-2012 at 02:26 PM..
Old 12-8-2012, 02:25 PM   #18
ninjaKIWI

Quote:
Because it IS the way I want it.
He can critique the work as much as he wants, I'm not OBLIGED to change it because one single goddamn person doesn't enjoy something on the track.
I understand that you're not obligated to change everything just because a single person doesn't enjoy what they're hearing. Music would be dead if that were the case. I'm saying that the way you're responding isn't respectful of his critiques because you're just dismissing them.
Old 12-8-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
Coolboyrulez0
VICES

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaKIWI View Post
I understand that you're not obligated to change everything just because a single person doesn't enjoy what they're hearing. Music would be dead if that were the case. I'm saying that the way you're responding isn't respectful of his critiques because you're just dismissing them.
Perhaps he should rephrase his critique, and I'll address it all again.
I am dismissing them with sufficient reasoning, at least from my perspective, as to why certain elements are the way they are.

Also, I usually do not have issues with people critiquing my work, but certain times issues have arisen (i'm sure you remember punch out, which I ended up completely redoing), and mostly it's with Tristan.
On the contrary, when I addressed one of his older simfiles with valid issues and concerns, I was made to be the bad guy and it was written off as a personal attack and it shouldnt be valid since the file was older. Damn, you guys really twist the situation based on wanted outcome. Slick.

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 12-8-2012 at 02:41 PM..
Old 12-8-2012, 02:29 PM   #20
AlexDest
good hot
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

ninjaKIWI

whiteKNITE