Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-5-2004, 10:47 PM   #1
Cenright
You thought I was a GUY?!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Location: Beaumont (A town with 25 times fewer people than this site)
Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright
Default " 1984 "

We are reading "1984" for AP English.

I hope some of you have read this, but I just wanted to know what you guys thought about the ideas the author put into this book.

The book is gory and creepy, but fairly truthful. He pretty much describes a whole ton of what we think of as the former USSR. Sure, the book creates a perfect anti-utopian society, the main character walks that line of rebellion which gives us the Communism Vs. Capitolism.

There are also the telescreens, which we know as a TV. The concept in the book is that they can see and hear you through that same screen. It is dedicated to telling the lies to hide what the government is actually doing, but the people have been so hyped politically that they are completely gullable.

They destroy/rewrite history also. If there is a book that disagrees with their views, it is not gotten rid of, but instead it is rewritten, but the old author date is kept as if it was never rewritten. This is also done with forecasts.
--If chocolate rations were cut from 30grams to 20grams, the government will tell the people that they raised the chocolate rations to 20grams. The people will completely swallow the lie also, because the have not only been brainwashed, but all old histroy is rewritten so that 30grams of chocolate never existed, any people who said other wise disappeared and so people totally depended on the government.
---People who disappeared, COMPLETELY disappeared. Their name was wiped from every record.
---Most war heros and lottery winners were completely made up, so that they could give huge medals and prizes without ever having to award or pay someone.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Sex was looked on as disgusting. The Junior Anti-Sex league drilled all children that Celibacy for all was the way to go, and that lab fertilization was the best way. Because this wasn't completely a reality, sex was just a way to create children. It was only their "duty to the party". The main character had a wife, and the only reason for sex was to stregthen the party. She cooperated completely, but interacted none.

It is true that something that is drilled into can become a reality if you fully believe it, and instincts and be stopped if you are thinking that it is truely disgusting.

So what do you people think about the book? To me, it is a pretty morbid book, but it looks into government power and the human mind so well, that if you haven't read it, you really need to.
Cenright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-5-2004, 10:48 PM   #2
BluE_MeaniE
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to BluE_MeaniE Send a message via MSN to BluE_MeaniE

I read it, and it was a good book. It was really interesting and it was positively ghoulish, so to speak.
BluE_MeaniE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-5-2004, 10:56 PM   #3
Cenright
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright

Yes, but the ideas of the book, although "ghoulish", still makes very good points about certain aspects in society. We do follow many things blindly. Just think of how many think that those skinny supermodels actually are healthy, but many girls don't even realize that they are aiming for that unobtainable goal?

How many teens go out and buy the brand that their favorite celebrity talks about? That brand looks better just because they saw someone that they think is cool use it. Most of them wont even realize they are doing it though.
Old 03-5-2004, 11:20 PM   #4
BluE_MeaniE
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to BluE_MeaniE Send a message via MSN to BluE_MeaniE

Right. I agree with you fully. We do follow things blindly, and this book shows if those things are brought to the extreme, or maybe even less than the extreme, it may be a really scary future.
But really, the government tells you something--specifically--and you would just have to believe it to some extent. (Maybe not in the world we're living in now, but slowly and surely it may very well go in that direction, theoretically)
BluE_MeaniE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2004, 12:17 PM   #5
makaveli121212
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to makaveli121212

always wanted to read that book, so i went out and bought it today...im not gonna read your posts because i dont want anything spoiled...ill get back to you when im finished...im not a fast reader though
makaveli121212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2004, 02:43 PM   #6
Laharl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Laharl Send a message via MSN to Laharl

I tried to read it back in High School for something... I think it was for a book report my sophomore year. I ended up picking a different book because I thought it was, well, retarded.

I dunno why, but anti-government books have never been my thing. They always come across to me as incredibly whiny. OMG TEH GOVRNMET TELLS U LYEZ AND CONTRLOS UR BRIAN!!!1!!111!1

Also, the fact that I can't stand Orwell's style of writing comes into play. It is simply annoying.

Tangent sidenote: One of the local bands made up of kids from some of the high schools around here goes by Junior Anit-Sex League.

POINTLESSLY TAKING UP BANDWIDTH SINCE THE INCEPTION OF THE INTERNET
Laharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2004, 02:54 PM   #7
chillywilly
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to chillywilly Send a message via MSN to chillywilly

" am Governor Jerry Brown
My aura smiles
And never frowns
Soon I will be president…

Carter power will soon go away
I will be Führer one day
I will command all of you
Your kids will meditate in school

California Über Alles
Über Alles California

Zen fascists will control you
100% natural
You will jog for the master race
And always wear the happy face
Close your eyes, can't happen here
Big Bro' on white horse is near
The hippies won't come back you say
Mellow out or you will pay

California Über Alles
Über Alles California

Now it is 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede/denim secret police
They have come for your uncool niece

Come quietly to the camp
You'd look nice as a drawstring lamp
Don't you worry, it's only a shower
For your clothes here's a pretty flower…

DIE on organic poison gas
Serpent's egg's already hatched
You will croak, you little clown
When you mess with President Brown

California Über Alles
Über Alles California "

California Uber Alles, Dead Kennedys

(idk if it has any relevance, just reminded me of it)
chillywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2004, 08:08 PM   #8
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

1984 is probably my favorite book. Truly a great read.

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2004, 08:17 PM   #9
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laharl
I tried to read it back in High School for something... I think it was for a book report my sophomore year. I ended up picking a different book because I thought it was, well, retarded.

I dunno why, but anti-government books have never been my thing. They always come across to me as incredibly whiny. OMG TEH GOVRNMET TELLS U LYEZ AND CONTRLOS UR BRIAN!!!1!!111!1

Also, the fact that I can't stand Orwell's style of writing comes into play. It is simply annoying.

Tangent sidenote: One of the local bands made up of kids from some of the high schools around here goes by Junior Anit-Sex League.
It isnt an anti-government book, it is an anti-facist.

And here is an essay that I wrote on 1984: (go ahead and steal it if you want, it isnt that good).

The people of 1984 live in a bland world. A world stripped of color, sound, taste, smell and touch, all except for the propaganda devices used to brainwash the public. Since the senses have the ability to trigger past memories, or even evoke new memories and inspiration, Big Brother decided to take control over the senses and use them to the government’s advantage. This mind control is an overpowering weapon used to control its citizens.

The London of 1984 is not much to look at. As described by Winston Smith: “Though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything except the posters that were plastered everywhere.” (6). Being that the propaganda posters are the only bits of color on a colorless landscape, they stand out. With the world the way it is, people are forced to look at slogans of “Big Brother is Watching You” (6) or stare into the “pursing eyes” (26) of the “black-mustachio’d face” (6) of Big Brother. They are constantly having the image of Big Brother being hammered into their minds; constantly reminded that they live their lives to serve their government.

The idea of fashion, too, has been eliminated. All the party members are required to wear general issue blue overalls. For many, the way one dresses is a means of expressing one’s self. What one wears on the outside is often a reflection of how they feel on the inside. By forcing everyone to dress the same way, Big Brother is restricting self-expression.

No matter where one may go, they can never truly be free from Big Brother’s clutches, not even in the comfort of their homes. Every home contains a Telescreen which “could be dimmed, but there was no way of turning it off completely” (6), “the words were always distinguishable” (6). There isn’t a moment when the people of 1984 aren’t being fed lies and propaganda. They are never allowed a moment of silence, thus stunting their ability to think for themselves, and question their government.
Touch too has been restricted. With programs as “The Anti-Sex League”, women, at a young age, have been taught that sexual intercourse is a vulgar and disgusting act and should only be used as a means to make offspring to serve the government: “our duty to the Party” (58) as Katherine liked to call it. Though she did not like the act “what was strange was that even when she was clasping [Winston] against her he had the feeling that she was simultaneously pushing him away with all her strength…it was horrible” (58). It was Big Brother’s intention to “rob you of your pleasures” (109). By keeping its citizens oppressed, Big Brother ensured that its citizens would remain dumb and not know any better, thus giving Big Brother great control over everyone.

And finally, taste, one of the most powerful of all the senses, was controlled by Big Brother too. “Winston and Syme pushed their trays beneath the grille. Onto each was dumped swiftly the regulation lunch-” (44). Winston later describes the meal as “a filthy liquid mess that had the appearance of vomit” (45). “Had food always tasted like this?” (52) Winston thought to himself. Why would Winston think such a question if he didn’t know any better….Unless he did. “The first whiff of [the ‘black market’ chocolate’s] scent had stirred up some memory which he could not pin down, but which was powerful and troubling….” It was such an event that Big Brother was trying to prevent: the summoning of past memories through the senses.

The government of 1984 had control over everything. Big Brother was everywhere. There was no escape. People had no freedom off choice. They were reduced to a robot-like existence, but since they knew nothing better, they did not realize they were living in hell on Earth.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2004, 09:05 PM   #10
Cenright
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I like it Jewpin. You represent the the book well with all of your quotes, and you represent most of the issues at hand.

I like to use more vivid language to get emotions evoked in the reader though. I also would have added a part about the stripping of the language.

And Laharl, although it is about government, I feel it is very well done. It is the extreme of government, but it is done without being exaggerated. It sits on the border of realism and fantasy.
Old 03-7-2004, 09:07 PM   #11
tristia
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tristia

i was almost waiting for this topic to come around... i loved this book. i need to refresh myself on it though, its ben 2 years since i read it. i remember reading this book, and not being able to go to sleep at night. The main thing people had a hard time swallowing was whether this could actually happen or not in the future... i definitely think it could, like cenright had said about how we are slowly starting to lose our own identities, even if it is something as small as wanting to do somethingbecause our favorite acotor or singer does it... how long until we believe that 2+2=5?
Old 03-7-2004, 09:24 PM   #12
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenright
I also would have added a part about the stripping of the language.
Originally, I was going to add that. I had bunch of quotes picked out for that...but I was lazy and decided I had enough evidence to prove my point, plus, it was the day before it was due and I wanted to play some FFX before I went to bed.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:17 PM   #13
COBOL
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to COBOL

who cares its a book that a necrophilliac would like
Old 03-16-2004, 05:03 PM   #14
VxDx
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to VxDx

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBOL
who cares its a book that a necrophilliac would like
you are worthless.
VxDx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 05:53 PM   #15
makaveli121212
FFR Player

old prostitues...that is hilarious...did no one else even find that somewhat amusing...and he still had sex with her after he found out she was gross...man thats awesome
Old 03-16-2004, 05:59 PM   #16
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)

Yeah, that was pretty gross.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:52 PM   #17
esupin
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to esupin

the book was very "deep" but boring.
It sort of reminds me of Total Recall
anyways I think Farenheit 451 is much better
Hey is Ray Bradbury still alive?

http://www.youtube.com/esupin
esupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 05:54 PM   #18
makaveli121212
FFR Player

you are the ungoodthinkerest
Old 03-21-2004, 07:35 AM   #19
Anonymous
FFR Player

Have a read of 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley. Probably not as enjoyable to read, but raises ideas in a similar vein to 1984. Its funny the number of times I've heard the phrase "brave new world" since reading the book yet never noticed it before...
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 02:17 AM   #20
perfect_fat
FFR Player

WHOA!
HOLD ON ONE SECOND THERE

Quote:
He pretty much describes a whole ton of what we think of as the former USSR. Sure, the book creates a perfect anti-utopian society, the main character walks that line of rebellion which gives us the Communism Vs. Capitolism.
No. That is the most disgusting interpretation of that novel I have ever heard and I would personally spit in the face of your teacher for trying to teach you that propaganda ridden BS!!!!!!!!!

The entire idea of the novel was not advocation of capitalism. George Orwell was a Marxist. He fought, and was wounded in the Spainish civil war fighting against facist forces with united workers unions. He lived in a city called Catalonia in Spain, where the workers controlled the entire town. This is a form of anarchism, which in political terms, refers to the elimination of all illegitimate autority (mayors, presidents etc) in favour of complete control being in the hands of the citizens. If you don't believe me, check out Homage to Catalonia by GEORGE ORWELL!

It's on amazon.com for less than 12 bux US.

George Orwell was in no way in favour of capitalism, or the ideals of the present United States government. The "USA Patriot Act" is the perfect example of the forewarnings that Orwell gave in his novel.

With this bill, the United States Government has taken away the right of privacy to all American citizens. Keywords are monitored on phone calls and all internet traffic is subject to monitoring.

Orwell's 'Animal Farm' was about the soviet revolution. But as the pigs gained power (an obvious allusion to "capitalist pigs") they became more and more like the humans who they had swore to rebel against. In other words, the leaders became capitalists themselves.

What you are being taught is an UTTER LIE and I'm disgusted that somebody could try to pass that disgusting filth off as education.

Captialism does not equal freedom. Democracy equals freedom. And democracy does not mean voting every 4 years for 1 of 2 parties. That's called a coin toss.

*Sorry if there is bad grammar, I am enraged and disgusted beyond words, I feel ill*
perfect_fat is offline   Reply With Quote