Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-7-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
Sprite-
HAVE ME WITH VODKA
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Don't know how to feel

I am going through some emotional trauma here. I just got offered a job aboard a cruise line for the next 3 months playing in the band. They gave me 3 days to basically drop everything I have (including my current job) and fly out there to the ship. My problem is that I get home sick and have a lot of friends that I will miss. More importantly, a girl that I have been seeing who has been away at college for months is supposed to come home on the 14th, which is 5 days after I leave. We were really looking forward to seeing each other so we are both obviously very sad about this.

I know I should be happy because this is a dream job for most musicians but I honestly feel a lot more sadness than happiness.

Has anyone gone through anything like this and how were you able to cope? I never say things like this but hey we all have our moments. I shouldn't be sad about this job. Ughhhh
Sprite- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Re: Don't know how to feel

Time always make things right. Of course you have to have your priorities, but I think you should not be afraid to jump head first into that project (which does sound like an incredible opportunity). You might lose touch with the girl you were seeing obviously, but I'm certain you'll get to meet someone else as good if not better while travelling! I think you should let go and just live day to day, see what happens.

Edit: say you don't like the boat job after all, what are the chances of getting your old job back if any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Last edited by MarioNintendo; 12-7-2012 at 08:35 AM..
MarioNintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
Snuwfer
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Snuwfer

It's for the best - you should take this opportunity. You should keep in contact with your friends and family via Skype or text/phone call. I would be upset too, I haven't seen my gf for almost a year now but it's hard with college and such. She still supports me every day, and wants me to succeed in life. Once I finish college I plan on moving in with her and getting a house, etc.
Snuwfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Mike Weedmark
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I feel like I could regurgitate a bunch of evasive bullshit about it being your deicision, but really, dropping everything you just mentioned for a 3 month gig on a shitty cruise ship sounds pretty rejectable/10.

I don't know where you get this dream job idea from. I play guitar, and I would quit permenently to avoid this.
Old 12-7-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
All_That_Chaz
Supreme Dictator For Life
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to All_That_Chaz

Unless your current job is worth it, you should definitely go. Maybe you can get skype on the boat to talk to the girl? Does that work? Through a phone maybe? This could lead to a real career in music, not necessarily on cruises that remove you from your life.

But that isn't what you asked. I suppose I went through something somewhat similar. When I was offered a job in Wisconsin after college, I didn't know anybody there (except Hammy, haha) and I didn't know anybody going there. I lost a fair amount of friends I guess, but I expected to because I just finished college and people were accepting jobs everywhere. Some kept in touch, most different. It's life, man.
dammit chaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoJaR View Post
god dammit chaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds
I bet when you live in a glass house, the temptation to throw stones is magnified strictly because you're not supposed to.
All_That_Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Sprite-
HAVE ME WITH VODKA
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Thanks a lot everyone for your input. Yeah, this contract is 3 months. However, I will be getting repeated contracts of 6 months after this booked from my agent. It's not like I'm dropping everything for a 3 month job.
Sprite- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

I've been through something similar, but it wasn't as far of a distance as you.

Totally worth it. You make new friends, new experiences and seeing another chunk of life and a new outlook on the world is irreplaceable
Old 12-7-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

It really depends on your priorities, what you want out of life immediately and long-term, and how much you think you'll enjoy the experience. Does you being sad now mean you think you'll be sad the entire time you're cruising?
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
justaguy
Forum User
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to justaguy

people serve in the military abroad and leave shit for yrs

ur going on a cruise ship playing in a band for 3 months

rofl

in all seriousness basically you should go because that's a baller opportunity shoved in your face. sucks to having a girlfriend tho.
Old 12-7-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
Frank Munoz
Vophie
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

This is my friends dream job.
Like.. exactly what he wants to do for the rest of his life is to travel and play on a cruise ship band.
But, he currently doesn't have much to lose.
; hates his family
no girl that he has feels for

Sure he has friends but we are all brothers(fraternity shit) so we will always be in contact.

Iono, If there was a girl that I had been waiting to see(which i am)I would stay for her. But only cause ima huge fgt for her. eh,
although, as rubix said, friends come and go.
Old 12-7-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
Mike Weedmark
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Munoz View Post
Iono, If there was a girl that I had been waiting to see(which i am)I would stay for her. But only cause ima huge fgt for her. eh,
Yeah I dissed the idea but I'm p.much a huge fgt too. I guess it depends on the girl and whether or not you think it'll help your career long term.

Still seems flash-in-the-pan to me, and I'd wager the reality won't live up to the fantasy. It'll probably be less party time and more three months of underappreciated quarter notes for a bunch of intoxicated yuppies. It's trading one job for another, so I'd just say make sure you know what the benefits are.

A lot of responses seem to be romanticizing it. You'll find things to love about either choice. I wouldn't make decisions based on what you imagine you'll regret.

Last edited by Mike Weedmark; 12-7-2012 at 09:07 PM..
Mike Weedmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2012, 09:07 PM   #12
i heart candy
Retired
FFR Veteran

Follow your dreams.
If they're your friends, they should be happy for you since you're doing what you want.
P.S Girls come and go..job opportunities..not so much.

i heart candy is offline   Reply With Quote