Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #81
Chrissi
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Chrissi
Default Re: Any vegetarians/vegans on FFR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
http://www.snipeme.com/archive.php?y...04&rant=veggie

What really doesn't make sense is why you would want to even take away one of the main food groups. Carnivores in the wild are constantly killing other animals to survive, so eating meat is NOT unnatural or "wrong" in any way. We might as well just starve if killing animals AND plants is "wrong", because you are killing the plants to eat them.

Also, we didn't evolve in an environment with an abundance of food, so being an omnivore expanded the choices humans had for nourishment.
You're putting "quotes" around "things" that vegetarians have never claimed. Vegetarians don't claim it's innately wrong or unnatural to eat meat. They know it's one of the food groups. They know that we evolved eating meat and our digestive systems and teeth are designed to handle it.

"Ethical" vegetarians are usually so because of the way mass-marketed meats are butchered in north america and many other countries. Or they have a personal sentimental value attached to animals and don't feel like they can eat them, ala Buddhism. But this is a personal choice - not a choice that requires others to be "wrong" for eating meat. It's just wrong for themselves. And they are usually okay with that.

Don't let PETA speak for vegs - they are the loud minority, not the majority.

PS I read that article - 4th grade? That was about the point where I decided to be vegetarian, on my own, in spite of my meat-eating family. So.... that dude is really pre-emptive in assuming she was "forced" to be vegetarian.

Last edited by Chrissi; 11-14-2010 at 11:46 AM..
Chrissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #82
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I agree that killing animals is wrong, but what choice do we have? Should we kill plants to meet the same needs? Is killing plants equally as wrong as killing animals? Some may say yes, and others may say no. This is where personal interpretation comes in.

Originally I thought being vegetarian was a choice. A choice that makes you happy about what you eat. Apparently there are a few people who leaned towards this choice for other reasons, like the safety for animals. Whatever reason that may be, there really is nothing wrong about being a vegetarian.

Same argument applies to carnivores and vegans.

So is it wrong to select what you eat? No. Is it wrong to force yourself to eat veggies? That's up for you to decide.

So my point is, no matter what we choose to eat, we have to kill. Yes it's wrong, but it's necessary. It's like searching your way out of death, but in reality, you have to face it.

For me, I tend to strive for a balanced meal. You don't have to consume more of something per day, you gain a variety of nutrients, and luckily, I enjoy eating both meat and veggies, so you also gain the satisfaction.
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #83
Shadowcliff
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

People have been killing animals for food (and more) since God knows when.

So yeah, the other day in European history class we started talking about the taste of bacon, and my life-long vegetarian friend was so clueless. lol
Shadowcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #84
AsphyxZero
Banned
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissi View Post
a rational person
You're a vegetarian.
AsphyxZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #85
Chrissi
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Chrissi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphyxZero View Post
You're a vegetarian.
1. Vegetarians can be rational.
2. I'm not vegetarian.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #86
scientific
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphyxZero View Post
You're a vegetarian.
and you joined the military
Old 11-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #87
AsphyxZero
Banned
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientific View Post
and you joined the military
Because it allows me to go to college for absolutely free.
AsphyxZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2011, 06:16 AM   #88
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

bump

dare you to try & watch this and not be disgusted

http://www.sprword.com/videos/earthlings/
disclaimer: i am hereby not responsible for anything said/depicted in this video please do not direct your concerns at me instead call the main office and file a formal complaint thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.

Last edited by Syhto; 03-3-2011 at 06:43 AM..
Syhto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2011, 07:53 AM   #89
Rubin0
FFR Player

too scared to click
Old 03-3-2011, 09:39 AM   #90
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

watching it

a documentary o0o0o
Old 03-3-2011, 10:44 AM   #91
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Who cares what people eat?

People who cater to naturalistic fallacy are also pretty stupid (just because we did something as an evolutionary condition doesn't mean we should or should not do something). As long as people eat healthy and get all essential nutrients, proteins, carbs, fats, etc, there isn't reason to worry much as long as you're on top of things.

I'm all for reducing animal suffering and ensuring humane deaths as well as upholding standards of cleanliness, but animal suffering alone isn't going to stop me from eating meat.

Veganism can be perfectly healthy but it requires a lot of research. Most vegans I know are complete retards though and often look sick.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2011, 01:17 PM   #92
gnr61
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to gnr61

you don't have to stop eating meat completely lmao, thats the problem with people thinking 'I either have to be a vegetarian, or not.' so many friends/family of mine have made a point of not eating meat to excess, which is a pretty darn reasonable position to take.
Old 03-3-2011, 01:22 PM   #93
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

i drink soy milk instead of regular milk because i love cows :0)
Old 03-3-2011, 01:28 PM   #94
Rubin0
FFR Player

hmm I have considered soy but the health risks for women kind of scare me
Old 03-3-2011, 01:32 PM   #95
Ziergdsx18
ℜ1 ステップチャート 著者
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Ziergdsx18 Send a message via MSN to Ziergdsx18 Send a message via Skype™ to Ziergdsx18

i like lettuce

| irc.rizon.net | #touhouradio - Come listen! |
Ziergdsx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2011, 01:46 PM   #96
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
i drink soy milk instead of regular milk because i love cows :0)
If you loved cows wouldn't that mean you would want to drink their milk?
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2011, 01:53 PM   #97
Emo_Saur_
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Emo_Saur_

If I wanted to become a Rabbit, I would become a vegetarian.
Old 03-3-2011, 01:59 PM   #98
who_cares973
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubin0 View Post
hmm I have considered soy but the health risks for women kind of scare me
im not the biggest fan of soy milk myself(ignore my above post it was a joke). look into stuff like almond milk which is a soy alternative and tastes loads better than soy milk(vanilla flavour is ****ing delicious). i try to eat healthy and buy healthy when i can which often leads to making vegetarian choices when it comes to meals.
Old 03-3-2011, 02:52 PM   #99
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

only reason i would become vegetarian is if i really disliked the taste of meat.

protein, iron and vita D are huge factors when depriving yourself of meat. just drench it in a bit of dick grease and wala
Old 03-3-2011, 05:29 PM   #100
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Ahh, so many dumb posts, just the reason why I usually avoid anything but CT.

-Beyond the excessive breeding of dairy cows, I have yet to find anywhere that they're 'artificially' kept lactating beyond what they would be if they were roaming free in a herd and kept their calf with them.
-Most of the animals we eat, if they have a brain, (yes, including fish), have the same structures that we know in humans cause emotions. These structures have nothing to do with the cortex, and are in fact very low on the 'evolutionary' scale. Basically, most animals with brains have emotions, and therefore its hardly dumb to feel bad about causing these animals stress or death. No plants have emotions. Pretty easy line to draw.
-As to why drinking milk can morally be seen as wrong has so many reasons: tethered animals, feeding them food that causes them to bloat, milking methods that causes mastitis, the cows babies are used for veal (which it seems most people find abhorrent.) Again, all this relies on the idea that cows feel emotional and physical pain.
-If you feel like its dumb to not eat meat for moral reasons because what you do has no impact, you're defeatist and I'm not sure why you bother to even post to state your opinion, because clearly even if you only sway a couple of people's opinions about something, it doesn't matter in the long run anyways, right? Everyone's going to think what they want to anyways. I don't think I should give away my old winter clothes to charity because I can't keep all the homeless from getting cold, so why bother?
-The argument of 'why am I bothering to save animals when there's so many people that need to be saved' is very similar to argument I addressed just previously. Its not like if I decided to not eat meat I'd have instead even saved 1 person's life. (Now if you instead used not drinking non free-trade coffee and not eating certain chocolate as a counterexample, you might have made a good point.)
-The environmental impact of non-factory farming is waaaay worse; the sheer space needed to have as many animals as we do now for food would be huge. We simply cannot afford to feed people as much meat as they eat now in a humane way.

In any case, I'm not vegetarian, but I recently decided to not eat factory farmed animals, at least that's the easiest way of saying it. The meat I eat is from the local market where the vendors specifically post something about them being organic or having some sort of life outside a cage. I do drink milk and eat cheese though, and I may even start to eat regular old beef again, because I don't think cows are nearly as abused as most animals we raise, (which is, of course, why cows are an ecological nightmare,) and even if they happen to be, the average american only eats like half a cow a year. I can get behind eating a cow every 2 years, its better than eating god knows how many chickens. I've also decided to cut down on the sheer quantity of meat I eat for the ecological impact as I stated above. Eggs have been the hardest thing for me, since I couldn't find them at the market, and local grocery store ones, although certified organic, the organic certification is, well, not very stringent. I honestly have way more of a problem with how egg-laying chickens are raised compared to eating beef. I feel bad for most pigs the most though, because they ARE smarter than chickens, but are kept in situations pretty much as bad as them. I currently eat all seafoods, and have been eating moose meat lately, but I'm taking my eating habits one step at a time, and may change my mind about the seafood and hunted animals.
I get around the idea of killing the animals as not being immoral because in a farmed situation at least, because people gave that animal a life, and since they're not also human, I feel like we are rather like gods and have the right to take the life away.

As to eating that burger at a BBQ, if I were hankering for it, I may eat the hot dogs. (I'd probably eat the burger regardless, if I felt like it.) However, I would still have issues with it because 1) I'd be eating the meat I'd have sworn off in public...I don't want to portray that I'll eat any meat, I want more people to actively think about where their food comes from. I strongly believe that eating most of the meat we do actually is wrong, and therefore I want others to see it as wrong too. (Its like being religious, if I were it meant that much to me, of course I'd have to try and convert people, and I wouldn't do that by cursing god or something in public just because I was having a bad day) And 2) At the BBQ next week they may have the same number of hot dogs as they did the previous week because there weren't many leftovers, whereas if I hadn't eaten some the previous week, they may have bought less. I'm actually in situations like this at work all the time. Tim Horton's throws out muffins and donuts that have eggs in them, and I have been known to eat donuts (AFTER the throw-out count) that have eggs.

I'm also trying to just eat less meat in general though, due to the ecological impact.
I find that, since I already knew how to cook, not eating animal products is actually pretty easy to do. Its going out and eating which is the problem.

I honestly think that if everyone actually took the time to figure out where their food came from, there'd be a lot more vegans out there.

Last edited by Cavernio; 03-3-2011 at 05:39 PM..
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote