Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
footbull3196
Banned
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to footbull3196
Default Why Are Storylines So Important?

Here's a question that is worth considering. Why are storylines so important now in video games?

I mean, look back at some of the old classic games. All it would do was give you a game, tell you how to play it, and then you play it. In Pac-man, nobody really knows his motivation for wanting to eat those monsters, but it was still one of the most successful games of all time.

Back in the days where gas cost under $4 a gallon, storylines in games weren't important. Now, the developers want to create a storyline so that it can make sequels. But for people that are only interested in gameplay, is storytelling such a big deal?

I'm not saying that storytelling doesn't make a difference at all, it does. You want your story to be realistic, not just something thrown together at the last second. (aka Wing Island for the Wii, their story is about birds flying in planes... seriously, not only does this tell about the lack of 3rd party games for the Wii, it also says that maybe storylines have something to do with it) However, would a bad story really stop you from playing a game as long as the gameplay is good?
footbull3196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
fido123
FFR Player

Default Re: Why Are Storylines So Important?

Story lines allow the gamer to immerse themselves into the game more. Back in the 90's and 80's games weren't realistic at all so it was very hard to get immersed in a yellow circle eating white dots. I love it when I get into being a member of the SAS trying to abort a group of missiles heading for North America. Storyline also give you motivation for killing those "bad guys".

On another note thank you for improving your posting/thread making. Seriously, good job.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
NFD
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to NFD

Money. People need money to pay for the gas that's over $4 a gallon. And what you said about Pac-Man, they couldn't really develop a storyline. Games were just becoming popular, story-lines didn't come out until about the 90's, or late 80's. Megaman started out with a really vague storyline, but in about 2-8, you knew what was happening.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

It depends on the kind of game. With first-person shooters and racing games, for example, it isn't very important (unless it's based off of an existing storyline, such as with the 007 series, in which case the goal is to stay true to the original story). You just go in and shoot everything that moves while grabbing power-ups and hoping you don't get shot yourself, or try to get first place.

RPGs, on the other hand, rely heavily on a good story to keep the gamer immersed in the world and give you motivation to continue on even if the bosses keep kicking your ass. Storylines are also important if the game gives you companions to work with, since they need motivation to join you and your cause as well, but in exchange there needs to be side quests to tie up their loose ends.

In conclusion, whether you need a compelling story or not depends on what kind of game you're designing.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
fido123
FFR Player

I find FPS's still need a story line though. I don't just like running around shooting people aimlessly. I would rather feel like I'm trying to accomplish something. Multilayer though is obviously different as you can't come up wiht a story (unless you do something extremely creative) and competition is enough to make you play.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Even games that don't need a story need a story. FPSes, RTSes, Beat-em-ups, Shoot-em-ups, etc. You don't need a story to enjoy the game, but without a story you're not doing anything. You have no purpose driving you forward.

That's why story exists in a game. Purpose. Before, the purpose was score. Do you see scores in games now? Do you get 100 points for shooting a gangster in GTA just like Mario did from stepping on a Goomba? Hell, when was the last time a Mario game even had a scoreboard?
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
Gano
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Gano Send a message via MSN to Gano Send a message via Skype™ to Gano

It may have worked back then but if you try to put out a game with no story now it would be awful.

doraemon bustin caps
Gano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru

As said before, it really depends on the game you are playing.

Each game have hooks that catch the attention of the gamer and cause them to want to play the game. In a puzzle game like Tetris, the drive behind the game is trying to clear four lines at once and increasing your score. In a RPG game, high score doesn't really apply. Instead, players may play for several reasons such as leveling, battle mechanics, or story. The big strategy games of today aren't extremely story driven either. You'll have your campaign missions that you will play through, but that doesn't really matter because you typically end up playing against another player or winning against the CPU by using a plan. In this case, the hook is strategy.

~Tsugomaru
When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:30 AM   #9
Myst1278
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Myst1278

Some games can pull off no story. Serious Sam, for instance, is an older FPS game with very little in the way of story. It's still a good game though, as mowing down dozens of enemies at once with a minigun never gets old (for me).

Castle Crashers, for a more recent example. Did anyone who played it actually care much about the story? And I'm sure I could come up with a few other examples if pressed.

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 4639-8622-1756
PM with your code for add.
Myst1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
Hell, when was the last time a Mario game even had a scoreboard?
Technically, Super Paper Mario.

And yeah, the main reason a story is so important is the drive. I play Super Stardust HD - there's no story there, but it's a score game. Same with Elite Beat Agents - the story makes no sense, but I keep trying for a higher score. Whereas, Tales of the Abyss, I keep playing to see where the story is going. It hasn't really gone in any unexpected directions, and I've been able to guess about 10 minutes into the future for that game, but it's also fun to play. And well voiced.

It's all about making the player want to play more.

And it's not just to justify sequels. I would say score based games - Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Super Stardust - are more inclined to pump out sequels faster and have more people buy them because they're easier to get in to. If they were to announce a SSD follow up today, I would pre-order it. And there's literally no story to the game other than, "You're dropped on this planet. Destroy everything."

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall

Depth. Back in the day games like Sonic did have a storyline and I used to get well into them, but it wasn't necessary really as it's just a basic platformer and that's were a lot of people get the kicks.

Probably one of the only guys I knew who got into the Streets of Rage story, most people just loved beating up punks.

Games now more or less need a story to immerse people into games, otherwise it's just another FPS, or another RPG or whatever genre.

Would you find MGS as fun if it was just like the VR mission things? I for one wouldn't. I got really bored of that game.
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:15 AM   #12
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

The ONLY reason I played the VR Mission MGS game for the PS1 was BECAUSE I knew the characters that well. It simply wouldn't have worked without an incredible (although convoluted) story to back it up.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!
Old 09-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #13
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

Quote:
Originally Posted by footbull3196 View Post
Back in the days where gas cost under $4 a gallon, storylines in games weren't important.

am i the only one who found this funny >.>
Old 09-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #14
welsh_girl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to welsh_girl Send a message via MSN to welsh_girl

Money with sequels.

How annoying would it be playing a long game with no story line to it, finish it and nothing happen because there was no story.

I think game need to have stories otherwise you wouldn't really be able to make a game anymore. And there would be no reason to play it.
welsh_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #15
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
Some games can pull off no story. Serious Sam, for instance, is an older FPS game with very little in the way of story.
Serious Sam had an -awesome- storyline. Saving the world from malicious aliens is -always- a good basis for an FPS.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #16
ryanisadouche
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

guys i think its obvious what this thread is leading up too

FFR needs a storyline

Public AAA #370 - evil approaches
Tier Points - 329 (Tier 4)
Best Non-AAA - Schmollbluk (rank 26)
Worst Non-AAA - AIM Anthem(668)
average rank - 109
ryanisadouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:55 AM   #17
welsh_girl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to welsh_girl Send a message via MSN to welsh_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanisadouche View Post
guys i think its obvious what this thread is leading up too

FFR needs a storyline

Wont that mean FFR will one day ... end.
welsh_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:11 AM   #18
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Brb, coming up with a storyline. Soon, you'll be able to use credits to rest in Inns and buy equipment.

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!
Old 09-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #19
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh_girl View Post
I think game need to have stories otherwise you wouldn't really be able to make a game anymore. And there would be no reason to play it.
This is not necessarily true. Some of my favorite games have no story lines and I play them over and over again. Games that are not driven by story as a "hook" to catch players do not need a story line. It's as simple as that.

~Tsugomaru
When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:56 AM   #20
Magewout
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

If you're a real gamer, they aren't. /discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix View Post
EDIT: Wow Magewout just slayed my riddles
Magewout is offline   Reply With Quote