Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Audio and Music Production
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
midnghtraver
Icarus Moth
FFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Studio Headphones.

Whiiiiiiich onesssssss shouuuuuuld iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii buuuuuuuuy?

I have 2 KRK Rokit power 8's.

So I'm thinking of getting the KRK KRN 8400's
( http://www.krksys.com/krk-headphones/kns-8400.html )

Suggarstunz?
midnghtraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra
RRR Developer & DevOps Support
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Veteran

Default Re: Studio Headphones.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-.../dp/B000065BPB

See first review. (Not me)
But I've had these for 4 years and they are still as crystal clear as they were when I bought them.

Or if you want to be steep:
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-380.../ref=pd_sim_e6
Old 10-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
WSCB
same world/diff dimension
FFR Veteran

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH440-P.../dp/B002DP1FTU
Shure is just great for high studio/audio quality and I have stuck with them for quite a few years now. Tried these out and they were just amazing. )
WSCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Wineandbread
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

In b4 way too many suggestions

What kind of music do you handle in the studio should always be the first question someone asks
Followed by whether you prefer bass/mids/treble, price range, etc.
We climb up a lot of ladders, and fall down a lot of chutes.

Taking "all" oddjobs! PM me requests. Requests filled: 2 last active Mar. 6th, 2017

Keep it real pls. Will deny requests I cannot manage.

Wineandbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
midnghtraver
Icarus Moth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wineandbread View Post
In b4 way too many suggestions

What kind of music do you handle in the studio should always be the first question someone asks
Followed by whether you prefer bass/mids/treble, price range, etc.
O.o an equal balance? I'm looking for precision.

I make dance music: http://soundcloud.com/nmilla
Old 10-19-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
midnghtraver
Icarus Moth

No budget.

Well, I mean nothing like 700+

Last edited by midnghtraver; 10-19-2011 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: Just kidding.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:34 AM   #7
Thatskier
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Thatskier Send a message via Skype™ to Thatskier

Sennheiser <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< This x 100000 OR.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V700D.../dp/B00001W0DH

Sony MDR series blows freakin minds.

Edit: Have had these for some 7 years and work amazing; they dont nessesarly deliver big bass like cheap ass gross BEATS but precision is bomb on sony
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-Mo.../dp/B00001WRSJ

Double Edit: Your headphones you want go from 5 Hz - 23 kHz..... mine go from 5 Hz to 30 kHz and the MDR v700dj is the same but higher grade.

Triple Edit: Your headphones : 97dB Sony : 107dB
Dragons Fury: Custom Tournament #5 D1A: 1st Place

The Tournament of Immortality D1: 3rd Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
Let's put it this way: This file is fun.

Last edited by Thatskier; 10-19-2011 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: headphones
Thatskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:09 AM   #8
JSH
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I have the MDR-7506 which is basically the same thing as MDR-V6
and they are really good in terms of accuracy
If you plan on using headphones mainly for studio/mixing use and not for musical enjoyment, these are the way to go
Not to mention they are pretty cheap

Also, I heard the MDR v700dj are worse, although more expensive

I actually don't recommend the Sennheiser HD280 Pro
I listened to them as well, and they are much darker and colored in terms of sound
The Sony's sound more brighter and seems more suited for studio use

Last edited by JSH; 10-19-2011 at 01:12 AM..
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:19 AM   #9
Thatskier
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Thatskier Send a message via Skype™ to Thatskier

Not to mention sony is just more widely used in the professional industry. I don't know i just notice people with the v6 all the time. Uhm, i haven't tried the v700dj but looking at the info they look very similar.
Dragons Fury: Custom Tournament #5 D1A: 1st Place

The Tournament of Immortality D1: 3rd Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
Let's put it this way: This file is fun.
Thatskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:29 AM   #10
Evnoir
_(:3」∠)_
FFR Veteran

Personally, I hate the early Sony MDR series headphones (At least the old timers like the 7506, V6, V700, etc. V700 being the worst out of the 3 listed.).
So damn cold and sterile; there is such a huge peak around 6-7k for the V6 it just sucks to the extents it's unbearable for most songs. It feels like a peak since the highs cut off fairly rapidly at around 10k. Also, the bass sounds distant/soft. Might need to tune the eq to balance it properly.
7506 are also cold but analytical (in a good way) and clean (as opposed to veiled). Personally, it sounds a little harsh, especially in the mid-high trebles, maybe even a little sparkle.
V700 is just out-right bad. Slightly muddy and slightly veiled. Sibilance becomes present AFTER burn-in (wtf). To make matters worse, the fit on the head is just awful. It's also prone to breaking at the pivot like the HDJ1000. Maybe I just got a bad pair :P
Heard these things listed are not a problem for the new ZX series, but I haven't tried them yet so I have no say in judging these headphones.

HD280 is an all-rounder type of headphone but they do seem to be dropping off fairly quickly in the highs, making them sound too warm to the extent that it sounds dark. Not a big fan of these headphones tbh. Also, the separation seemed really narrow and misplaced.

I have tried the 8400 and they weren't that neutral (but not in a bad way - it sounds more ... warm-ish). IIRC, the bass was slightly on the slow side, but they were full-sounding. Not particularly spatial compared to other closed-backs at this price point. If you want to go full-out KRKs, go for it.

Edit: I'm just going to add opinions to what other people suggested.

Shure's are really reliable (ignoring the fact that my se215 and se425 both broke within half a year. Damn removable cables...). I would definitely recommend the SRH840 for multi-purpose use. I don't mix, but I can tell these would be great for such use since they are not artificially coloured, nor do they have a particular striking segment across the frequency spectrum. The 750DJ has more of a prominent bass presence, but it has a poor aesthetics. The headband only expands to fit infants, the pivot creaks, and the earcups are significantly more shallow than the 840s -_-. Haven't heard the 440s, so... yeah...

Beats Pro is a significant improvement over any other Beats product because honestly, every other Beats product blows. Now, the one that's shown for display at the dealers are just utter s**t, mostly because it's running off of an iPod, it's probably playing some 192kbps lossy file, and there is no DAC/amp whatsoever. With a decent setup, it sounds rather neutral - definitely not the idealistic true flat sound though. There is more of a bass emphasis, or at least it is more noticable, with a generally good slam to it. The treble is slightly rolled off, so it might sound slightly recessed in some instruments. Actually, it's not really rolled off in a sense, but not as detailed and extended. Separation wasn't all the great especially for the asking price, but you can't expect much from a closed-back. Nevertheless, I would presume these would be suitable for mixing; definitely fun to listen to.

SR60s aren't all that great if you're considering mixing. Yeah, it's aggressive and powerful, and because of that, it's not the right headphone for mixing. Rock songs sound awesome, though the bass is really artificial. It lacks detail around the mid-low bass region and the mid-high treble (though it is a tad bright). The SR80s aren't that much different either especially if it's unamped. With amping, there's just more bass quantity and more forwardness from the mids. That's about it. These two are great for listening to music, but not for making music. If we're talking about the Stax SR60/SR80, that's a whole different story.

Seeing how your cap is around 700+, go for an LCD-2 rev.1. A used one would literally go for just about 700+, but it's one of the best headphones I've ever heard. As for having a flat FR, it's pretty much a plateau for everything <15k.

Moar edits: Sensitivity/Efficiency should be the last thing on your mind if you're mixing simply because you should have sufficient power to drive any headphone with a decent amp. It is recommended to get headphones with a higher impedence rather than a lower impedence of the same model to assure quality (i.e., DT770). On top of that, the frequency response isn't all that concise since the company will base the range with different standards. Heck, you could say the Beats Pro has a FR of 3-80khz if you wanted.

Last edited by Evnoir; 10-21-2011 at 03:40 AM..
Evnoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
zajac
aka uAnimals
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to zajac

I'm just gonna pass over overone's suggestions, and I hope you take mine seriously.

My background has been music production and DJing for about 7 years now. I also am the Sales Manager for Pro Audio at Sam Ash in Tampa, FL. So I definitely have A LOT of background in sound, and having heard everything out there from having used it in a professional setting to hearing at work; as well as getting feedback from professionals in the industry.

If you have the Rokit 8's, then you're going to be lacking some of the high end that true flate monitors (Such as the Yamaha HS80's) can provide. When working on your music, you definitely want to do the final mixdown through the monitors to have a true stereo vision; BUT, if you want flat headphones to work on music, AND NOT DJING, then I recommend the following:

For a reasonable price range, you need to start at $100 for good headphones. HD 280 is a good place to start, but not very flat. 380 is even better. Shures are flat, and great sounding. I personally own the Beats Pro. Although a lot of money, I HIGHLY recommend them for a true flat sound and high spl output and dynamic range.

Really what it comes down to is money though. If you pick a manufacturer at the $200 price range, you WILL be happy. Again, I recommend going in the route of Shure for a flat response.
zajac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #12
Renevatia
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

sony MDR-v6, can't go wrong with it at that price, pretty colorful bass and clear treble. Mids are a bit muddy if you wanna get too picky with it but its pretty faithful overall. You can get it for like 50bux or something. I'd imagine these would be the type you want if you are doing editing/monitoring. Don't think there's anything better within the 200 dollar range as far as accuracy of output is concerned. Then again I am no audiophile.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:31 AM   #13
StoneMcKnuckle
FFR Player

Grados sr60 or, if you have an amp, sr80. At your price range, you cannot possibly find anything better than this. If you're willing to spend some some money, go for Shure. And stay away from Sennheiser, especially if you aren't loaded.

There was a really good thread about this on ODI, it's a little hard to dig it up when the forum's dead.
StoneMcKnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #14
midnghtraver
Icarus Moth

I have a cold shoulder when it comes to Sony, and I absolutely hate the beats.

But the Shures are probably what i'm looking at right now as the best option, thanks Zajac
Old 10-21-2011, 03:42 AM   #15
Evnoir
_(:3」∠)_
FFR Veteran

Phew, thank god you're going for the Shures.
Go for the SRH840s, maybe even for the SRH940s

Edit: FR graph for the Shures

Last edited by Evnoir; 10-21-2011 at 03:53 AM..
Evnoir is offline   Reply With Quote