Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
scottish
FFR Veteran
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to scottish Send a message via MSN to scottish
Default Thoughts on Thoughts..

IMO, I believe that everything is possible, just hasnt been stumbled upon yet. Im more into Plato and Locke, and their theories behind experience.
The reason behind I said stumbled upon, I have an inclination that the life we live has boundries. Not in such physical boundries, but thought and idea boundries. Ie: We, as humans, live in a dome. Not physically but mentally, and all together. In this dome, everything is enclosed. Nothing comes out, nor comes in. The ideas, or thoughts we create are all enclosed within this dome already. Nothing new is ever created, just manipulated. It follows the same law as Energy, which it cannot be created or destroyed, only manipulated. (this law is only valid in an in a closed structure.)
Manipulation, making a direct link to our existance, can be veiwed as evolution, or advancement.
If someone says "I was the first to invent this", sorry to put you down, but no your not. You may be the first to manipulate something into this, but there will always be something already invented within the structure. While there are many arguments against this, I firmly put my beliefs into this.
The wierd part about it is, before learning about Plato, I had already written this theory up. Ironically, the same idea I have now, was said 2500 years ago, in almost the exact same way. I wasn't dissapointed when I learned this, it just added a theoretical validity to it.
Anyone have anything to add on this? Or argue against it? Questions?
scottish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:32 PM   #2
iggymatrixcounter
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to iggymatrixcounter
Default Re: Thoughts on Thoughts..

Didn't you already say this theory already?

You need to get sleep at night lol.

I kind of disagree with that though scottish, maybe after long periods of time, the new ideas are just improvements or manipulations of older ideas, but you say that all ideas always existed. Which is true I guess in one way, but someone had to discover them, put them into words, apply them in life, make them "exist" in our dome as you called it.

You could argue that laws of physics existed even before they were discovered, and relating things. So in THAT sense yes no ideas are new. But if ideas exist and no one knows about them, of what benefit or practicality are they?

You above post, IMO, is like saying that the universe exists (the 'dome'), but only when someone can observe something (say a Black hole or whatever) do we say it's a "new idea," even though it's been there and it's not something new, it's just new to us.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:39 PM   #3
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggymatrixcounter
You above post, IMO, is like saying that the universe exists (the 'dome'), but only when someone can observe something (say a Black hole or whatever) do we say it's a "new idea," even though it's been there and it's not something new, it's just new to us.
But is that not the case? Take time as an example. Was time not always there, people died, others evolved, things changed through time. It was only when time was quantified, "discovered", put into a logical and cohesive pattern that we then knew what time was. How can you say then that it wasn't already there, if we now define time as a nonspatial continuum in which events occur in apparently irreversible succession from the past through the present to the future, then obviously this was still the case before it's discovery.

I do have do disagree when Scottish says:

Quote:
ou may be the first to manipulate something into this, but there will always be something already invented within the structure.
Mankind can invent new things. Items like cars, buildings etcetera. They are all inventions using materials. You can say that it is simply the manipulation of items in order to make a new manipulation, but without this manipulation there would be no new item, just materials. So invention can be defined and can be seen as a logical progression of the "dome" changing from manipulation of the earth (creating fire, catching food) to manipulation in order to evolve through their own inventions.
TheRapingDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:42 PM   #4
scottish
FFR Veteran
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to scottish Send a message via MSN to scottish

Aha, i prob did say this, and yeah, im up all night doing nothing and I just continue writing and yeah, it ends up at the same point, its like cutting circles PSHH. Anyway, what i meant was i guess, damn. This is gunna be hard cause im interferring on like nine other things i havent said yet..but..
Umm, I like to think of it as more of a pool. Ideas existed, but werent accessed. Meaning, even the manipulation of ideas have already been thought of, just not shown or aware. Idc, its complicated, If i have time later I'll write an uber paragraph about it

EDIT: @ raping...Aha, i have this whole thing on time, but im not going to get into it. We'll leave it off with your explination on this subject
What I was technically making reference to is mankind can NEVER make something totally new. ALWAYS a part of this "new" manipulation has to contain something old in it.
IE A car has a wheel. Wheels were made from circles (etc i dont want to get into the examples)
I guess the biggest case here is the definition of new. If you want to view new as never existed before, than, no these objects have. If you want to veiw new as in, an advancement off of another object, then yes, these are new.

Last edited by scottish; 07-18-2006 at 10:53 PM..
scottish is offline   Reply With Quote