Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-3-2008, 01:51 PM   #1781
Shamo0
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Shamo0

It doesn't matter. The competitive community will speak volumes louder than casuals and thus the compet rules will remain standard

Besides why would casuals care anyway. It's not like they are playing to win thats fer suree lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2awr View Post
Apparently. When the game comes out I'll play you with your rules and my rules. We'll see who is right then.

Exactly! This will be the ultimate test of which playstyle brings more skill to the battelfield! Eventho it's painfully obvious but some people just aren't seeing eye to eye. Hopefully they will when they loose on there settings. No Items FTW!!

Nintendo Network ID: BigBadShamoo

Last edited by Squeek; 02-3-2008 at 01:55 PM..
Shamo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2008, 01:54 PM   #1782
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek
Default Re: Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamo0 View Post
It doesn't matter. The competitive community will speak volumes louder than casuals and thus the compet rules will remain standard
They remain standard... for competitions.

I said before you can't disable items in random online play. So, best of luck thar.

The standard rules are the ones you can't change that the game gives you.

And don't doublepost.

Last edited by Squeek; 02-3-2008 at 01:57 PM..
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2008, 01:58 PM   #1783
l2awr
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to l2awr Send a message via MSN to l2awr Send a message via Yahoo to l2awr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
They remain standard... for competitions.

I said before you can't disable items in random online play. So, best of luck thar.
What kind of person looking to practice will be playing randoms? Unless they are looking to take some frustration off their shoulders or beating on people who probably won't know what they are doing.
l2awr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2008, 02:14 PM   #1784
zidart
FFR Player

i will personally play random on-line matches because even though i don't know who am i playing with those people might suck or be good players, it would not be frustrating because i can vote on a stage and i can use random items.

sorry but that plan of "wich one is better" never works... i tried with some tourneytards i played with, i won and they said "i lost because of the stupid stage/you used an item". besides playing in a simple stage without items is not "skill" is just a competition of who can press buttons faster than the other.
zidart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2008, 02:21 PM   #1785
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall

Quote:
Apparently. When the game comes out I'll play you with your rules and my rules. We'll see who is right then.

As for the guy above this post. Don't worry, you won't be playing with me.
Winning both games wouldn't prove anything. It would just inflate your pathetic ego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamo0 View Post
Exactly! This will be the ultimate test of which playstyle brings more skill to the battelfield! Eventho it's painfully obvious but some people just aren't seeing eye to eye. Hopefully they will when they loose on there settings. No Items FTW!!
And what if they do loose? What then. I'll guess they'll just blame the game rules right?

Quote:
What kind of person looking to practice will be playing randoms? Unless they are looking to take some frustration off their shoulders or beating on people who probably won't know what they are doing.
You're just an elitest.

Last edited by SethSquall; 02-3-2008 at 02:25 PM..
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2008, 02:26 PM   #1786
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Because friends are going to be on every time you want to play against other people, right?

I don't know what Xbox Live is like, but I highly doubt this will be the case with Wii.

And Zidart is more or less right. I was thinking about it just a few minutes ago. If I lose, I'd chalk it up to the fact that you played Melee about 10 times more than I did AND had an advance copy of Brawl. If I win, you'd chalk it up to luck or cheapness, probably. The very technique of running away is what I do best. But it only works with items on.

That, and the fact that I have about zero experience in playing one-on-one close-up. None of my friends play like that, so I have no idea what it's like, personally. And I don't care to learn either.
Old 02-3-2008, 05:29 PM   #1787
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru

Or you could just flat out admit they are better than you without an excuse at all. That would be the manly way to lose a competition.

~Tsugomaru
When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2008, 08:23 PM   #1788
arsonistsgetallthegirls
FFR Player

Or you could just play smash 64.

[Trust me, This user is your friend.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeron View Post
Holy ****, civility in the forums?! My head just asploded.
Wait, What?
arsonistsgetallthegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2008, 08:35 PM   #1789
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny

Quote:
Because friends are going to be on every time you want to play against other people, right?

I don't know what Xbox Live is like, but I highly doubt this will be the case with Wii.

And Zidart is more or less right. I was thinking about it just a few minutes ago. If I lose, I'd chalk it up to the fact that you played Melee about 10 times more than I did AND had an advance copy of Brawl. If I win, you'd chalk it up to luck or cheapness, probably. The very technique of running away is what I do best. But it only works with items on.

That, and the fact that I have about zero experience in playing one-on-one close-up. None of my friends play like that, so I have no idea what it's like, personally. And I don't care to learn either.
All anyone should get out of this post, is that squeek is cheap and thinks he's decent because of it. Seems to me like you're only good at being cheap which isn't really skill at all. Every time i read one of your posts it makes me wish you were never apart of this thread to begin with because you've butchered it completely.

On a different note, i received a call from my friend last night about brawl. He told me that his friend at had purchased the japanese version of brawl and was playing it with him. The game is A LOT floatier he says. Every character seems to fall like marth. No L-cancelling or wave dashing and final smashes are always in the game. Not sure how much of this is new to you guys. Haven't been really keeping up with this thread because of a certain someones retardation. Just letting you guys know whats up.
korny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2008, 08:53 PM   #1790
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Wow, utilizing strategy is cheap, and exploiting glitches isn't.

I love the people who play this game.

Why is keeping distance a cheap tactic?
Old 02-3-2008, 08:55 PM   #1791
Relambrien
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Relambrien Send a message via MSN to Relambrien

Man, this thread is devolving back into a flame fest...

Anyway, the guys over at SmashBoards have developed a new tech for Brawl. It's being popularly called "RAR," Reverse Aerial Rush. Due to Brawl's momentum mechanics, you can dash, turn around and jump at the same time, and end up moving forward while facing backward, allowing you to do bairs in a forward direction quickly and easily.

Really helps characters like Mario, and others who have good bairs but not necessarily good fairs or nairs.

PS: Bair = back aerial A, Nair = neutral aerial A, etc.
Relambrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2008, 09:15 PM   #1792
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Can't you guys come up with names that make sense?

Also, once again, I implore you to look up the definition of flaming. I still haven't seen any of it.

Last edited by Squeek; 02-3-2008 at 09:18 PM..
Old 02-3-2008, 09:29 PM   #1793
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru

I believe he's thinking of the worse possible way you could abuse running away, which is the Temple of Time map. If all you do is run away from your opponent, taking shots whenever you can at a person who's chasing you, that's being cheap. Soon enough, it's no fun to play with you anymore if all you do is run in circles in Temple of Time.

~Tsugomaru
When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2008, 09:48 PM   #1794
Relambrien
FFR Player

@Squeek

The original name was "Jump Back Towards," which is quite a logical name. However, it isn't very catchy, so people came up with "Reverse Aerial Rush."

As for flaming, here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDictionary
To insult someone electronically, or otherwise. Sometimes to be a group insult.
Want me to bring up examples?

Anyway, here's an awesome post written by MookieRah of SmashBoards, one of the more respected members and member of the exclusive group of players that develop the tier list, recommended bannings, basically the overarching aspects of competitive Smash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieRah from SWF
First I'm going to openly admit that I don't have Brawl and haven't played it yet. I wish I did (much like everyone here who hasn't played it); however, I'm not letting my time go to waste as I have been observing videos of smart competitive players and been keeping tabs on them. From watching I've learned A LOT of stuff, and it all seems to point to one thing. Intuitive play.

To truly understand everything I say in this post you will need to be up to date with what we currently know. If you want a refresher course go here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=140981

What do I mean by this? Well think about it. A lot of the stuff we did in melee was incredibly cryptic. We haphazardly stumbled upon it, and while it worked it did divide the community into haves and have nots. Now I'll be the first one to say that those who condemned the AT's in melee were being immature when it comes to playing a game competitively, but it doesn't change the fact that these core pieces to competitive play were not something that someone would just learn on their own.

With Brawl however, it seems that the removal of our old ATs were not to remove depth. I say that because we have already discovered a lot of little tricks and the game hasn't even been around for a week now. A lot of these things seem more intentional. For example, the jump back towards, where you can turn around and jump but keep your forward momentum. This is something that we would intuitively discover by just playing the game. It wasn't cryptic at all, it wasn't some weird function of the physics, it's something that people would realize through observation over time.

This goes to my next point, which is a large portion of why people are upset. This is the removal of L-canceling not being a big deal. For starters, raise your hand if you figured out L-canceling by yourself. I don't see any hands myself, I've yet to run into any person who figured that out on their own before hand. I'm sure they exist, as we found out L-canceling on the smashboards, but as it stands L-canceling just isn't intuitive at all. Nowhere at all is there any mention in melee that if you press R at the right time you will be rewarded like that. Keep in mind L-canceling was an intentional technique added into melee. If you want proof just go to an internet archive and pull up the old old version of smashbros.com where it's talking about SSB64. On that site they actually tell you how to Z-cancel.

So yeah, you are probably wondering now. Why take it out if they wanted the mechanic in the game? Well, for starters like I said it wasn't intuitive. The thing is, we are alright without l-canceling. Sakurai and his team weren't dumb like some people are thinking, they realized that getting rid of L-canceling required them to do something to make the game faster. What they did was simple. Most attacks don't have as much lag upon landing. This is a minor fix, but this isn't the major thing. The big thing, isn't this. People thought this was their fix for it. No. So what is the replacement for L-canceling? It's very simple. Everyone is floatier now. Most aerials are faster now. The new L-canceling is simple, you have to time your aerials so that you land after the animation is over. If you do this you do not suffer from any lag.

I've watched a lot of vids, and it seems like this was indeed their intent on working without L-canceling. It may be too early for me to say this, but I feel as if they spent a lot of time with the characters and they definitely had this in mind in the design of the characters themselves. Even Ganon, being the slowest character I've seen so far, has an aerial that he can spam without lag (his uair). Also, specifically Ganon, they realized that his lag would still impair him, so they gave him what appears to be one of the best moves in melee history, his new forward B. Now you aren't safe from him, as he can severely punish his opponents for shielding and it opens up his options quite a bit. He is still somewhat balanced because he isn't speedy though. That seems to be the magic behind it all.

I hope this will make some of the brawl pessimists change their mindset about Brawl. I think people are too caught up in trying to compare it to melee that they haven't tried looking at it in a different light. Honestly, this game is shaping up to be amazing. I have no doubts that this game will be more deep and more varied than melee.
It's quite insightful. And if anyone needs help understanding any of the terms, tell me. There are too many terms in there for me to go through and define each one, so if anyone has specific questions on what a specific one means, I'll answer.
Old 02-3-2008, 09:59 PM   #1795
zidart
FFR Player

i actually understood that... and this new technique doesn't look like a glitch so i guess is useful.

and so far i've been ok with the things squeek said but... running arround hyrule temple is extremely annoying, it might be a strategy (and i would really wouldn't mind because there's always a way to beat them) but just an advise.. don't use it in on-line or else everyone that's not inteligent would get away from the battle XD
zidart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2008, 10:01 PM   #1796
travman301
#swagdog
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to travman301

You guys should just agree to disagree at this point because its not adding anything to this thread.

It's very apparent that you two have very different ideas of how to play.

That's fine on its own. I agree from aspects that each party has added.

However, the past few pages of this thread have just been bickering.

I think you two (or anyone else involved) should just drop it and discuss Brawl.

Last edited by travman301; 02-3-2008 at 10:04 PM..
travman301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2008, 10:04 PM   #1797
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Interesting read. Though it really has no message at all.

And please, do point out the situations where user A tells user B he's a gay-ass ******.

Also, Hyrule isn't one of the stages I run around in. Generally, I hang out on the tops of the left and right side as sniping locations for item chucks. The bottom of the stage is incredibly anti-item, so I avoid that spot.
Old 02-3-2008, 10:32 PM   #1798
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny

Well it doesn't really matter. Your so called running away "technique" would be useless against someone as good as i am so i'll just let you think you have skill if it helps you sleep at night.
korny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2008, 10:33 PM   #1799
Relambrien
FFR Player

Quote:
And please, do point out the situations where user A tells user B he's a gay-ass ******.
Fine. And keep in mind, by the definition that you told me to look up, a flame is an insult. Plain and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidart
the point is... glitches are that things that were not meant to be in the game and that "competitive" gamers take advantage of that just because they can't win with the normal rules and techniques of the game
Insulting, therefore flaming, all competitive Smash players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
All you're doing by using glitches in Brawl is boosting your own ego.
Implying that competitive Smash players need to boost their own ego, hence insult, hence flaming.

Quote:
If you get your kicks out of winning in a match and giving your opponent no chance to even compete, like snakers in Mario Kart DS, then please, inflate your ego.
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemicalrabbit
Most competitive players can pwn noobs without advance techniques anyway.
Arguable, but a potential insult toward casual players, referred to here as "noobs"

Quote:
It's because they suck. [in reference to Squeek's analogies]
Also arguable, but a potential insult toward Squeek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjoecool1991
Also, competitive gamers always automatically think they are god at the games they play. And they always complain when they lose which can be EXTREMELY annoying.
Insult toward competitive gamers...

Quote:
Oh, haha, I remember you, your the idiot guy in the Xbox 360 thread that also argued with Squeek.
I don't even need to say anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2awr
Ya I did argue with him and guess what? He admitted that he misunderstood me. AKA I was right. Your a groupie. Shouldn't you be in his fan page asking for autographs?
"You're a groupie," "fan page," etc.

Quote:
Everyone here is saying that Squeek is stupid because he doesn't like wavedashing.
Everyone here is also saying Squeek is stupid because he doe not like tournament rules.
This one's really debatable, but the implication is that "everyone here" is stupid.

Quote:
If it's a pointless argument why don't you stop posting and get off Squeek's nuts?

Quote:
Oh yeah, I ignored you, thats what I do to idiots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2awr
Your maturity shows. You'll be better off out of this discussion.
Quote:
and you can put "No items. No fun characters. Final destination" in your titles.
Implies competitive players can't have fun

Quote:
But then again, I more or less expected this from you guys, so I'm not really annoyed.
Highly debatable, but the impression given is that you're looking down on everyone, which can be taken as an insult. Figured I'd mention it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethSquall
Having to pick things out, make your own circumstantial boundaries and rules to compensate for you lack of skill isn't my kind of play.
Blatantly says that competitive players have a lack of skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidart
tried with some tourneytards i played with,
Not quite on the level of "tourneyfag," but the same notion is expressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethSquall
It would just inflate your pathetic ego.
You're just an elitest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by korny
All anyone should get out of this post, is that squeek is cheap and thinks he's decent because of it. Seems to me like you're only good at being cheap which isn't really skill at all. Every time i read one of your posts it makes me wish you were never apart of this thread to begin with because you've butchered it completely.
"Cheap," etc.

These fall under the definition of "flame" that you told me to look up, and I did. Some are debatable, and I've marked them. I know that I didn't include anything from my own posts; I couldn't find anything like flaming in them, but that's almost certainly personal bias. I don't doubt that I flamed someone at some point, if unintentionally.

EDIT: Oh and look, ninja'd by a flame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by korny
so i'll just let you think you have skill if it helps you sleep at night.

Last edited by Relambrien; 02-3-2008 at 10:36 PM..
Old 02-3-2008, 10:34 PM   #1800
l2awr
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to l2awr Send a message via MSN to l2awr Send a message via Yahoo to l2awr

lol if I ever played someone who just ran away until they got an item I would jump off the edge till I ran out of lives. Theres nothing fun or skillful about that.
l2awr is offline   Reply With Quote