Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-1-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
m0de
Marble Eater
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to m0de
Default quitting smoking (need advice)

title.

basically i have been smoking for 7 years. im less than a month away from being 27, and i have been smoking since i was 21. im thinking about going with an e-cigarette, and the gum. i priced around for an e-cig kit, and found that the average price for a starter kit from several different retailers that have good reviews is around 60-80$. im thinking about getting this one that has 10 cartridges, 2 batteries, wall + usb charger for 80$

any other advice from those who have quit?
Old 09-1-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: quitting smoking (need advice)

Seems like a challenge but good luck! Props for attempting at least :]
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-1-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
Shikari
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Shikari Send a message via Skype™ to Shikari

My only advice: Stop drinking as well. At least go easy on alcohol.

Since I didn't stop, and never want to, I have no advices. But I wish you luck, you'll need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
Shikari for resident profile artist
Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-1-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
m0de
Marble Eater
FFR Veteran

thanks guys~

as far as stopping drinking goes.. i have really really slowed down now that i have a job that requires me to be there for 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. although i totally understand where you are coming from. as soon as liquor hits my lips i want a cigarette.

also my uncle has smoked for over 30 years and recently quit. he used just the gum and has been smoke-free for about 4 months now. hopefully i can follow his footsteps x_x
Old 09-1-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
Shikari
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0de View Post
as soon as liquor hits my lips i want a cigarette.
Yeah, this is the point. Alcohol is one hell of a smoking teaser, so going easy on it might help. Also, quitting smoking is more a matter of will power than relying on miraculous gadgets, like your uncle did. If you don't want to quit, not even the most powerful "anti-smoking vaccine" will help you, that's why I don't quit.

Quote:
Old 09-1-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
m0de
Marble Eater
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikari View Post
Yeah, this is the point. Alcohol is one hell of a smoking teaser, so going easy on it might help. Also, quitting smoking is more a matter of will power than relying on miraculous gadgets, like your uncle did. If you don't want to quit, not even the most powerful "anti-smoking vaccine" will help you, that's why I don't quit.
agree 100%. the major motivation of mine is the thought of the money i will save. i smoke about a pack a day @ $5.50 a pack. thats just over $2000 a year i could have in my pocket.
Old 09-1-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
lumphoboextreme
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lumphoboextreme Send a message via Yahoo to lumphoboextreme Send a message via Skype™ to lumphoboextreme

Depends on the person how difficult it will be. If you have an addictive personality or not. I do so I've never smoked and never will.
Old 09-1-2011, 08:29 AM   #8
Shikari
FFR Player

Heh, money is always a good reason, plus your health will be way better than mine.

PS: $5,50 a pack? What the ****...

Quote:
Old 09-1-2011, 08:29 AM   #9
A2P
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to A2P

Don't go completely cold turkey. Let's say you're a semi-heavy smoker, you smoke around 30 cigs a day...cut that to 15. after a week, down to 6, so on. By the time you get to 1, quitting smoking will be a lot easier. You won't suffer severe withdrawal from it. It will still be there. But when you have cut it down to 1 cig, it will definitely be easier, and it will just become a matter of willpower.

Good luck!

EDIT: Shikari I pay $10/pack because of CiTy TacKz LawZzZ

-_- then again I can always buy from the suburbs.
A2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-1-2011, 08:30 AM   #10
m0de
Marble Eater
FFR Veteran

unfortunately, i do have an addictive personality. which is one of the main reasons i have stayed away from serious drugs the same way you stayed away from cigarettes. i have never really been addicted to anything besides alcohol, and cigarettes. sad to admit, but i do drink frequently. not to get drunk, but i will have a few beers every other day or so. although its the cigarettes that are literally killing me.

and just to touch on the drugs part.. i have never ever touched anything besides pot, and shrooms. i dont smoke pot much at all. maybe 2-3 times a month if its offered to me. shrooms was a one time thing.
Old 09-1-2011, 08:32 AM   #11
m0de
Marble Eater
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2P View Post
Don't go completely cold turkey. Let's say you're a semi-heavy smoker, you smoke around 30 cigs a day...cut that to 15. after a week, down to 6, so on. By the time you get to 1, quitting smoking will be a lot easier. You won't suffer severe withdrawal from it, although it will still be there. But when you have cut it down to 1 cig, it will definitely be easier, and it will just become a matter of willpower.

Good luck!

EDIT: Shikari I pay $10/pack because of CiTy TacKz LawZzZ

-_- then again I can always buy from the suburbs.
yeah i thought about this. maybe i will do what you suggested until i get to like 6 smokes a day. then go ahead and use the e-cig? idk yet it seems more of trial and error at this point because i havnt started to quit yet.
Old 09-1-2011, 08:34 AM   #12
A2P
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to A2P

Quitting IS a matter of trial and error no matter what substance. You relapse, don't give up, try again. Cutting down has been proven to be effective with my friends and family members, so I think you'll be good with the method I described earlier.
A2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-1-2011, 08:42 AM   #13
Shikari
FFR Player

Yeah, reducing actually is a good method, you should try it, m0de.

Quote:
Old 09-1-2011, 09:10 AM   #14
Cold Kitten
i love (purple things)
FFR Veteran

My mother has tried quit 4-5 times. Hasn't worked, but at least she's tried.

I know she has one of the e-cigs. Said it tastes NOTHING like a real one, so it's not as... satifying? Appealing? I dunno. Whatever.

Good luck, though. <33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
it's like putting training wheels on gutterguards covered in styrofoam made of bubblewrap with a velcro fanny pack inside a condom
Cold Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-1-2011, 10:52 AM   #15
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

Want to quit, more than anything. If you lose motivation and start trying to rely on the gum alone, it won't work well. Keep the benefits of quitting in mind always.

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-1-2011, 11:08 AM   #16
TehWhack
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

How about you stop telling people that you're quitting smoking?

You are doing this for yourself, not being constantly reminded about smoking through everyone else.

However, I will say that the only way I've seen any form of success is via cold turkey and eliminating it entirely from your thought process. You can gradually cessate if you would like to weaken the blow, but once you're done, try to stop thinking about how you were re-wired to be a smoker.

Note: It is virtually impossible to permanently quit modern tobacco. Tobacco, alcohol, and coffee have all shook hands at one point to make sure you stay as their bitch.

Last edited by TehWhack; 09-1-2011 at 11:19 AM..
TehWhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-1-2011, 11:13 AM   #17
jimerax
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jimerax Send a message via MSN to jimerax Send a message via Skype™ to jimerax

Try "Nicotine replacement therapy".
jimerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-1-2011, 11:39 AM   #18
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychoangel691

Each person is different of course, but as a recent ex smoker that tried a lot of different ways to quit over the years here's my 2 cents.

What ended up working for me was just to cold turkey it. Keeping nicotine in my body with other things like the gum just made it too easy to go back to. If you try to go cold turkey set a day in your mind you are going to do it. Figure out something to keep yourself as busy as possible. Nicotine takes 3 days to leave your system. Drink plenty of water and even exercise if you're up to it to help flush it out faster. After 3 days the physical withdraw is gone now it's all mental.

Best thing is to replace cigs with something else when you get a craving like water, some sort of healthy snack or just regular old gum can help. Exercise can also be your best friend in this. When I play itg or am active in some way, I feel no urge for a smoke at all. I still to this day get cravings once in a while, but it's not so bad anymore.

And you have to give up your triggers that you can help for a bit. Make sure to know them before going into this. Sometimes we have them with certain things and don't even realize it. Of course some triggers we can't help such as after eating which is common with a lot of smokers. I had to combat that by having something sweet after eating. Like a cookie or a couple scoops of ice cream. But things you can help such as alcohol and coffee, just cut them out for a while and slowly introduce them back in.

Oh another thing, coaching yourself mentally. Like when you see someone smoking put it in your head that it's disgusting that they're putting terrible things into their body stuff like that. And remind yourself why you're quitting. Also, another cool trick is say you smoke a pack a day, put the amount of a pack of cigs somewhere each day and watch how fast the money starts adding up. Then once you've quit, take it and spend it on something nice for yourself as a reward.

That's all I can really think of right now. Good luck to you whichever way you choose to try. I never thought I could ever do it and I did it and it is very rewarding. Sorry if it's a bit all over things popped into my head randomly as I wrote this lol. Like now one more tip, get a new toothbrush because the one you have now holds nicotine in the bristles.

I should add I was a smoker for 10 years before quitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl

Last edited by psychoangel691; 09-1-2011 at 05:23 PM..
psychoangel691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-1-2011, 04:40 PM   #19
Litholia
What is Life?
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Litholia Send a message via Skype™ to Litholia

What helped me a lot, was just cutting back slowly on cigs. Quitting cold turkey helps some people, but everyone is different, and everyone has a different addiction.
I used to smoke a pack and a half a day, maybe more if I was drinking that night. Went from that pack and a half to just under a pack a day, less and less, until now, im down to maybe 3-4 cigs a day.
To help with doing this, I've found that holding the cig in my mouth, unlit actually helps quite a bit. It might be just me but heck, it works, its all in the mind, you just gotta fight that temptation.

I've also found that cutting the cigarettes maybe a bit more then half way, also helps, you intake less smoke but still get your oral fixation. Maybe the next week cut it even shorter? Ect. Eventually, your body will become used to it.

Also, sunflower seeds do wonders, lots of sodium though, but that's better then tar in your lungs.

If you like chill music, you might take some liking into:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...eature=viewall
Litholia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-1-2011, 04:45 PM   #20
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

hypnotism

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote