Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2006, 01:05 AM   #1
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot
Default C&C: The First Decade

So, apparently this came out a few months ago. I saw it while browsing my local EB Games and nearly creamed my pants on the spot. I had bought all the old C&C games a few years back for a few bucks each, only to find out they wouldn't work on XP. The First Decade WILL play on XP.

I already have Generals and Renegade, and those play on XP, but it is so worth the 31 bucks I spent on half.com to pick this up, for C&C + Expansions, Red Alert + Expansions, Tiberian Sun + Expansion, plus Renegade & Generals/Zero Hour... all in 1 DVD.

Its being sent media mail from CA, so it'll probably take a week+ to get to me. If only Whorli will let me install it on her computer.... that would be pure awesome, as she has a mouse and I don't, and playing C&C games without a mouse is VERY difficult.

Anyone else hardcore about the C&C games or happy to know that something like TFD was finally published?
Old 04-25-2006, 01:08 AM   #2
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Omeganitros
Default Re: C&C: The First Decade

My little brother bought something like that, only wasn't on 1 DVD, it didn't with Generals/Zero Hour, and it cost much more. GG, bro.

Man, I never DID get around to beating Tiberian Dawn. But I'm more of a Yuri's Revenge guy anyways.
Omeganitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:01 AM   #3
flipmaster99
FFR Player

To get the old version to work on XP, did you happen to try the compatibility option to try and emulate older versions of Windows? I know its worked for a few games.

Incase you haven't
After installing, right click on the icon for the game inside the start menu, go to properties, compatibility tab, open the checkbox for Compatibility Mode, and choose one of the previous versions of Windows to try it out.

Hope it can let you play. The old CC games were great.
flipmaster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:38 AM   #4
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

Yea... this was about 3 years ago, but I'm pretty sure I tried stuff like that. Still didn't work.

But it doesn't matter now anyway! Because I have TFD.

Omega... I've never played the original or RA2. Just RA, TS, Generals, and Renegade... and all the expansions for them. I'm really looking forward not only to mining tiberium, but kicking some more commie or allied ass.

EB Games had it for $40. Found it for $28 + shipping from half.com, supposedly still brand new in box...

Regardless, it is supposed to be 1 DVD, although it takes up almost 10 gigs if fully installed, so I don't know how that fits on 1 DVD. Seems like 2 DVDs to me. And 1 jumbo ass booklet. I am so friggin stoked for it though. I seriously hope Whorli lets me install at least one of them on her comp... playing them w/o a mouse is like... playing the National Anthem with a recorder.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

You need to play Tiberian Dawn and tell me if it's exactly like it used to be. Sometimes they change games on re-release and screw up what was best about them. One thing I loved about the original C&C was that EVERYTHING MISSED EVERYTHING ELSE. Like, one time, I literally had a tank miss the broad side of a building. The good news was that tanks could slaughter anything if they managed to hit it, including infantry. It was always funny seeing a pack of infantry run at a tank, have half of them die in the first volley of tank fire, then have 1 or 2 spread out guys survive while tank shells exploded all around.

Although, if they aren't exact replicas (ie: if they added shift+ctrl+clicking, waypoints, building rally points, BEING ABLE TO PLAY C&C1 ONLINE) then it could be better. Too bad I have all the games except the expansions for Dawn and Sun, but I may get it if it lets me play original Tiberian Dawn online with people...

PS: Omega, they screwed up the grand scheme of a story when they made YR (and RA2, to an extent)(in case you didn't know, the Red Alert and the Tiberium stories were intertwined and related. Basically, going back in time to kill Hitler in RA1 led to the events that caused Kane to come to power with Nod. RA3-4 was going to finally show this link clearly, but since EA took over and messed up the story (and added Generals, which is completely out of story yet bears the C&C name) that prolly won't happen). Also, as far as patching goes, EA sucks, so YR got ONE patch which made Yuri retardedly good and screwed over the other sides. Soviets cannot beat Yuri without rushing, and even then it can be tough. =\

In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

So now I'm on Twitter @NoahWright.
And I write the blog for their website.

Plus I do cool programming in-house that you'll never see. =O
evilbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:05 AM   #6
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS

I'll let you know eb. I hope they keep the games just as they originally were. We'll see.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:20 AM   #7
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I couldn't care less about balance issues, what I love so much about RA2 and Yuri's Revenge is it's themes and weapons and vehicles and technologies available at your disposal. I mean...Dude, the units are EXOTIC, ya know? Shock Troopers, Dolphins, Chrono Legionnaires, Yuri Primes...The best is when you're Soviet and get a spy into a Battle Lab. It's a pure world of awesomely awesome imaginative coolness.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:40 AM   #8
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS

I like to eat Tiberium.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:55 PM   #9
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222

I've only played RA2. Good game.

Order that damn desktop already Tass.
Tps222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:03 PM   #10
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

I'm always sad to see people who have played RA and beyond and never knew about/played C&C: Tiberian Dawn. It's seriously the best one of them all, just because tanks can miss buildings.

In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

Old 04-25-2006, 06:46 PM   #11
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS

I am well aware of tanks shooting at soldiers and not killing them, from my many many hours on RA. Solution? RUN THEM OVER!

Missing buildings is another story... I'll have to investigate this.

TPS: I'm not ordering it until I can pay for it... and I still haven't gotten enough input from FFR and what I should get. I need to bump my topic. I currently have about $4500... although I should get easily 2-3 grand for graduation. But I have to worry about small things like paying for food/gifts during my month in Europe AND paying for food/life before I get a job. My inflow of cash from the parents stops next month.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:53 PM   #12
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

Thing is, Tass, your tanks CAN kill soldiers in the first C&C. Basically, every unit had a certain amount of accuracy and every unit had some amount of dodgingness. Anything moving has less accuracy and more dodging ability. When my tanks missed a building, they were moving and I told them to fire. The first volley they shot when they were still moving, a few of them missed the building.

Thing is, in RA, they changed it so that tanks fire exactly where a unit is. Even if a shot hits directly on an infantry (aka: they're not moving) it still won't kill them. In the original, a tank shot would just about kill a soldier in one hit if the tank was lucky. Spread out infantry could dominate tanks cuz of this, but larger groups of soldiers would get eaten alive cuz they were so packed that every tank shot would hit somebody (or sometimes several somebodys). It was a lot more fun to watch units missing each other than watching every unit be exact and perfect like they are in all the game nowadays. =\

Old 05-6-2006, 09:28 PM   #13
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS

So... I got my copy yesterday. I've played the first few missions of GDI and NOD on Tiberium Dawn. A few things are driving me crazy about it though...

-The scroll rate. I turned it to slowest setting, yet it still scrolls way too quickly. This is on both TD and RA.
-No hot keys! At least, not that I can figure out how to set. RA and later all have hot keys for troops... TD I have to keep highlighting.

Also played some RA, which is how I know about the scroll rate there too. Man, I love RA. Gonna go play some more now.
Old 05-7-2006, 12:47 AM   #14
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

Haha, it's not so much that the scroll rate sucks, it's that the resolution is like, 1/100 of what we're used to. At least, that's how I remember it. I'm pretty sure I used just use the arrow keys. Maybe that's much slower.

And yeah, no hotkeys, I guess they didn't update it at all. Direct ports are good and bad. So I'm guessing TD units are still RIDICULOUSLY INACCURATE? And most importantly: can you play online (or with bots in TD)? You can ctrl+# to set groups in TD, I'm pretty sure, which is really cool cuz Warcraft didn't have that until Starcraft/WC:BNet edition. That was REALLY annoying, cuz in WC2 you could only select 9 guys at a time. Hell, WC1 was the worst. Only 4 guys selected at a time max, and you couldn't right click, you had to manually click move/attack/whatever and then click your target.

Old 05-7-2006, 10:39 PM   #15
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS

I pretty much stopped playing TD. Been going at RA in my spare time.

How can you scroll using the arrow keys? In RA I tried moving with the arrows, and up/down just moved my construction options, which I'm content to move with the mouse.

I'm up to Allied 11 and Soviet 9 in a few hours of play. Game is much easier than I remember.

Next will be TS, another game I've played a bit of... (DLed a warez version back in HS). THEN I'll get along to messing with RA2 and perhaps scrimmage with Tonberry and/or anyone else. I'd also do Generals scrimmages once I get back into shape there... I used to be QUITE proficient, about 3 years ago.
Old 05-7-2006, 10:46 PM   #16
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Grrrr. STOP TAKING SO LONG! GET TO RA2!