Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat > Ask Me Anything
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Ask Me Anything A forum where notable users offer to answer questions from the userbase.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner
Default [FREE] Get good answers via Spenner

I'm really exhausted, get some slightly incoherent responses that are full of Spenner's opinion here. I'm an artist and generally a surrealist so try to keep a bit of a general flavour of that~

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Hateandhatred
"The Quebec Steparatist."
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: [FREE] Get good answers via Spenner

Thoughts on "Un chien Andalou"?

Thoughts on Dali's poop museum?

Do you actually play rhythm games?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hateandhatred View Post
Thoughts on "Un chien Andalou"?
When I first saw this, what came to mind for me was that it's something Dali might have put together as a bit of an experiment. Being able to have such control over the feelings conveyed by what they've seen, and trying to put as intense of an emphasis on "pain" in this case, as possible. Knowing Dali, it was probably leverage to inspire him to try the same level of intensity but for other emotions and feelings other than simply pain. Knowing how strongly, and in what way, the effects of the art are going to impact the viewer, the more one can take control and give the viewer a unique experience. All of his surrealism pieces seem to vividly draw the viewer to a richly bizarre view of something, that nearly everyone can react to consistently (on average). By taking shapes or objects or schemes from realistic viewpoints and smearing them in a surrealistic environment. That being said, I think Un Chien Andalou is definitely an interesting piece by Dali, obviously with a different flavour.

Quote:
Thoughts on Dali's poop museum?
Similarly, I think that Dali's ability to take recognizable objects and present them in such a bizarre setting gives the viewer such a unique experience. Seeing a wonderful castle with eggs on the top, and other fantasy-like features, and then poop on the walls...? Very hard to pinpoint an absolutely certain opinion of how to feel about it. But I guess that's what's intriguing about it, it's not as confident as a feeling you'd get from, say, concept artwork. There's always some kind of table tennis in the mind of the viewer trying to figure things out.

Quote:
Do you actually play rhythm games?
I have a metal DDR pad that I play from time to time, I used to be really into it. During breaks in school I'll usually play a few songs. But I am not a dedicated player, for a few reasons: very short attention span (I will usually drift off and focus on other things on the page/simple design elements of the page), I'll "overhear" the music and it will offset my timing, dyslexic thinking when it comes to notes (I see an up arrow, I hit the down arrow. Shit), and every so often the notes just sort of dissappear in my peripheral vision. Still fun to hit some keys in sync to cool music though~ I generally only play the harder songs because a faster pace keeps my attention drawn stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subin View Post
What do you think of Romantic music?
For me, a lot of romantic music does not give me the same feelings as typically intended. This prolly has to do with my augmented interpretation of emotions to do with love (too much negative reinforcement associated with it for too long!!). Romantic music for the most part has a strong sense of "being someone", or at comfort with something, at least. For me, I usually get the feeling of being alone in a warm, aesthetically pleasing place, like a beach or near a waterfall. I guess this mostly pertains to music that is of the literal romantic genre-- I find some songs very romantic that are far from the genre defined romantic elements.

For example, this song here,

Particularly in this song instead of having that feeling of "someone" being close to another person, i.e. typical romantic situation, I feel like the FEELINGS of two people have been mingled and are just sort of in sync. Just reminds me of a moment where you know that there is complete mutual love, and relaxation, because of the completely synchronized feelings of calm. I hope that doesn't sound too goddamn pretentious but I bet it will @_@ believe me when I say I don't mean to be, it's a bad habit. I sometimes get of weird tangents and speak purely in metaphors. A lot of the things in my mind tend to be associated with metaphoric thinking-- seeing an image that IMPLIES like, a billion other things, which simultaneously imply another billion things. Hard to wrap my mind around sometimes, perhaps I just dig too deeply. But anyhow, enough of that.

Random, here's a link to an artist I've been digging recently. I'll post something like that here and there I guess.

http://derklox.deviantart.com/gallery/

I have an affinity for deliriously insane inspired artwork.

Last edited by Spenner; 09-18-2012 at 10:16 AM..
Old 09-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
i love you
Live a wonderful life~
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

What self-fulfilling prophecies have you experienced in your own life?

Have you experienced cultural myopia?

How long have you been doing art for?
i love you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
Gundam-Dude
`~`
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

What made you get into the graphic design field for post secondary studies, and what factors influenced your choice to attend your current college over other ones in the area?

Just something I like asking aspiring designers nearby

(Download My Magnum Opus, Solo Kpop Pack!)

My Simfiles (4key & 6key)
Gundam-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love you View Post
What self-fulfilling prophecies have you experienced in your own life?
I haven't really had much of these on a larger scale, mostly subtle, subconscious predictions here and there. I tend to sometimes make a "white lie" to my body in order to believe in something different about a situation for the better, but that could just be considered delusion as well. So to answer the question, none that I can recall other than predictions related to relationships/gut instinct that a certain progression of friendship will end with love affection, which has happened twice. But that's really nothing special considering it happens to many many people :P too bad I didn't have something cool to share for this.

Quote:
Have you experienced cultural myopia?
I have at some points experienced it quite a bit, when I really didn't dig into the cultural lives of people around me. Nowadays I'm much too interested in everything about people (without being biased, just observing whatever I can with neutrality) to really be closed minded about other cultures. I like to track patterns of routines of people and see what influences the continuation of that pattern, etc etc. tl;dr, i just analyze people differently than I used to when I might have been a little less culturally aware. It excites me to mingle with someone who has a completely different background, and to have experienced it for myself aswell. All good learning.

Quote:
How long have you been doing art for?
My first progressive start with art probably started in grade 1, when every afternoon before lunch we would have to draw a picture at random and write a short paragraph long story based on the picture. I really wish I could get some of the drawings I used to make, I can really see how my creative processes have grown from that. From a REALLY young age, though, I've always analyzed things around me with a kind of curiosity, with regards to shapes and how their shapes might make me feel. Just like learning to interpret sharp things as something you should take caution when touching-- only in a broader sense, for subtle and abstract "feelings" felt when seeing certain shapes. Just an example, the waterbottle next to me has a curve right under the screw cap that gives me a sense of calmness, and it's a very positive feeling. The straight lines on either side of the bottle feel much more suffocated-- in fact, I think I time it so my breath is held when looking at completely straight lines that are parallel (like on bottles on on buildings).

Bit of a rant there, but I guess I learned something new about myself sometimes I can't really tell but I have these ways I continually react to certain shapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPopadopalis25 View Post
Please describe your most intimate encounter with Guy Fieri thus far.
Pretty sure I have focused on the sound of Guy Fieri on the TV at one point during a fap sesh, where I wasn't completely focused on the task at hand and I could hear it downstairs (DDD is usually on while I'm eating, I guess my appetite sparked way for another kind of hunger ) So I kind of had this cross-cocktangle between extremely stranged out and extremely pleasured. I think it's happened twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam-Dude View Post
What made you get into the graphic design field for post secondary studies, and what factors influenced your choice to attend your current college over other ones in the area?

Just something I like asking aspiring designers nearby
Graphic design is something that was influenced by my enjoyment of creating banners/profiles/avatars back in the day, and understanding the tools of the computer to generate design and whatnot. Because I had a lot of practice using fireworks (starting out) and photoshop back in the day, it felt easy and fluid to start doing more professional layouts and artwork. So yeah, just a natural progression I suppose :P

I chose Fanshawe College because their labs and direction with teaching looked like the best one I could connect with-- I was close to going to Sheridan for a bachelor's of design degree but financially it was SO much more for essentially the same thing, if not more, with what I've learned at Fanshawe. If it was for some other kind of degree things might be different. But I think I made the right choice~

Last edited by Spenner; 09-18-2012 at 05:09 PM..
Old 09-30-2012, 05:39 AM   #7
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Good answers don't always come free, get them while they're fresh

Old 10-8-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
Zapmeister
FFR Player

You're playing poker with a tiger, a hamster, and a McDonald's Filet-O-Fish. You limp in with 6c 6s and the tiger and hamster both call but the McDonald's Filet-O-Fish folds, despite being in the big blind. The flop is 7c 7h 10c. The tiger chews on its cards and bets 2.5x pot. The hamster calls after hesitation. Do you fold, call, raise, or run screaming?

What is your opinion of this piano piece? (166112 notes)

Can potatoes fly?

How many more questions can I ask you before I have to start paying?

Theorem: If you have a large enough number of monkeys, and a large enough number of computer keyboards, one of them will sight-read AAA death piano on stealth. And the ffr community will forever worship it. Proof Example

ask me anything here

mashed FCs: 329

r1: 5
r2: 4
r3: 6
r4: 8
r5: 3
r6: 5
r7: 15
final position: 4th
Zapmeister is offline   Reply With Quote