Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-8-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
neobahamut0zero
FFR Player

Default stepfiles

This may not belong here or might have been posted before, but I was just curious what a stepfile is supposed to look like from the code view(or simfiles?). Most of you have created them and I'm just curious what languages you can make them in or do you have to download a certain software to make them? Any information would be nice I kinda` want to create my own stepfiles to be honest, just for myself.
neobahamut0zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-9-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: stepfiles

The contents of a .sm file are actually read in as a data file (right?) of which StepMania or some other program will generate the results. Here's a snippet of code from a simfile, where a '1' represents a note in its respective position, and the whole block corresponds to a measure of a song:

Code:
A lot of your questions can probably be answered by reading through Patashu's Stepping Guide. Take a look at section B in particular. Most people use StepMania's built-in GUI to create their own simfiles. StepMania will create the .sm file for you without any need for slogging through the code yourself.

Have fun!

Last edited by dAnceguy117; 04-9-2012 at 10:29 AM..
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-9-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Location: we traced the call...it's coming from inside the house
Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

Quote:
Originally Posted by neobahamut0zero View Post
This may not belong here or might have been posted before, but I was just curious what a stepfile is supposed to look like from the code view(or simfiles?). Most of you have created them and I'm just curious what languages you can make them in or do you have to download a certain software to make them? Any information would be nice I kinda` want to create my own stepfiles to be honest, just for myself.
You can make them in stepmania or in ddream studio, if you mean 'what does a program that makes stepfiles look like' stepmania's source code is available if you want to read it (it's a hefty read though)
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-9-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
neobahamut0zero
FFR Player

OOOooo interesting, I see but in response to the code that uses binary 10001010101, how do you time when the arrows appear and what not? Thanks for the links and information, I'll start looking through them now
neobahamut0zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-9-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Don't use the binary coding itself in notepad to create a stepchart; that's an extremely archaic method used about 10 years ago. You can create a stepchart using the Stepmania program or DDream Studio. For more information on how to step, refer to Patashu's Stepping Guide as dAnceguy pointed out above - click on the link and follow the steps.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote