Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2006, 02:37 AM   #1
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek
Default Watch One Piece.

There have been times where in passing conversation, I'll mention a good anime I recently saw that I recommend to others for viewing pleasure. In turn, they recommend others to me. It's a nice cycle and it allows everyone I know, including myself, a wide variety of shows to watch. Whether or not I liked it will be determined after I tried it, as will be the case with those to whom I made recommendations.

But there is one show that I can't just ask people to watch in passing, because it never quite works. No matter how hard I try, I can't convince anyone to watch it. I try to rid all the prejudice they have toward the show, I try to explain just how amazing the show is, I try to persuade them to at least start watching the show, but nothing works. The preconceived notority of this show has a stranglehold on its progress among anime fans, and as a result, it has poor viewership outside of Japan, even among the most 'hardcore' of anime fans.

The show, obviously, is One Piece. You read the title.

This thread is here because I am tired of those who watch a huge variety of anime have a predisposition of this show they should not have, and I will do my best to convince you to watch One Piece. If I convince just one person, that's more than satisfactory.

I will begin with my story. You can skip past it if you want. Just look for the next line that isn't a paragraph long.

It all began in the summer of 2005. My friends were home from their first year of college and we were getting back into the swing of things. There were two or three visits to houses for various forms of LAN parties. Though, I don't even know if you consider a 3-person LAN party a real one. That doesn't matter. What matters is what happened late one night having just come back from getting our dinner at the local Burger King.

Our computers were all lined up with myself positioned on the left, friend 'A' in the middle, and friend 'B' on the right. Friend 'A' had gotten me interested in anime in the first place the first time I took a trip to his house by showing me what kind of a joke American television makes of anime. Cowboy Bebop. Starting point for a lot of people you know? It wasn't airing in America at the time, and even if it were by this time in my life I had already resolved never to watch American television ever again. A promise I still uphold.

Having just come back from college, his collection was loaded with games, songs, movies, and, most importantly, anime. We always watch something while we eat because, frankly, it's hard to play an FPS and eat a Whopper at the same time. I don't know what I had on and friend 'B' didn't like anime back then. All I remember is that friend 'A' was watching One Piece. I knew right away and refused to watch it, even insulted him for watching it. It was a lame show after all, just like Dragonball Z (which I had seen dubbed before resolving never to watch television again). People fight, it takes hundreds of episodes, etc. Boring. He was one some episode where they were riding some wave uphill over a mountain. Typical shounen crap.

Somehow he convinced me to watch the first episode to find out what was going on, so I did. I didn't put much interest in it at first. In fact, for the first five minutes, I'm not even sure I was paying attention at all. Then things got interesting. I spent the next hour watching One Piece and demanded the rest before we parted ways. I spent the next day watching all he had given me. I spent the next week procuring the rest of the entire series.

Thus ends my story. Yay if you read it. Boo if you didn't. It was a good story =(

First, this is a list of the most popular reasons people have given me as to why they won't watch One Piece.

1) "I heard it sucked"
2) "It's too long"
3) "I saw an episode on tv and it sucked"
4) "It's just like DBZ"

Now, here are my counterarguments.

1) I heard it sucked. I hear a lot of shows suck, you know? I hear of a lot of shows that RULE too. You know what, public opinion means nothing. The public has an alarmingly high number of people who enjoyed .hack//sign, one of the worst shows ever created. Personally, I have absolutely no idea how anyone could enjoy 26 episodes of people talking. I did enjoy the naptime I got while watching it.

Look. Take it upon yourself to find out if a show sucks or not. Do what I do and sample it. I actually finished .hack//sign. That was a mistake. I fixed that mistake in later years. When I started Wolf's Rain, I stopped before I got a quarter of the way in. I finished maybe a quarter of Shuffle before deciding it was going nowhere (turns out I was right eh?).

2) It's too long. Then watch it in pieces. Next. I wish it were longer. I can't get enough. I respect the decision to air the show once every two weeks so as to avoid running filler (LOL NARUTO AND BLEACH) and live with it. Once you get started, you'll see that ~300 episodes is not that many.

3) I saw an episode on tv-- That wasn't One Piece. Watch the real thing. Turns out they're not playing in a world of toys with candy and happiness everywhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Piece_Anime_Adaptions

Quote:
* Cutting longer scenes for time, editing episodes together, and skipping entire story arcs. As of June 2006, the equivalent of 32 episodes of material had been cut from what were originally 102 episodes. Among the removed was the Warship Island arc, the Laboon arc and the entire Little Garden arc. All removed episodes and arcs were written around.
* Removing the original symphonic score and replacing it with music produced on a synthesizer.
* Replacing the opening theme (originally a succession of upbeat pop songs) with a rap theme (though an English version of the original theme is used in promos).
* Altering some dialogue to utilize different types of humor.
* Removing or changing anything suggestive of alcohol or tobacco use.
* Many firearms were changed to look less realistic, and some were edited into other objects.
* Renaming many locations and attack names.
* Toning down violence and other extreme situations
* Removing Japanese text and replacing the word "MARINE" on Navy members' clothing with the word "NAVY".
* Changing the skin colors of characters to avoid potential racial insensitivity
4) It's just like DBZ Well, in terms of length, it is. But you know, DBZ has like four sections to it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z#Sagas

In total, the show could have taken half the number of episodes and still have a decent series. We all know the joke about how long it takes for a single battle to end. Could be a dozen episodes before anything happens at all! And in the end, this equates to a total of 4 major bad guys. Grr bad guys. Sure, you had the minor bad guys. One Piece has them too. But in the end, it always comes down to a battle between the main character and the main bad guy. DBZ has four. One Piece has more than a dozen. It's much more spread out and usually takes only an episode or two for a battle to end.

Secondly, the characters are so much more unique. In the end, DBZ was all strong saiyans for the most part. They all threw energy and could go supaa. One Piece has a wide variety of characters, both main and secondary, that leave you with a massive list to work with. Within each arc there can be anywhere from five to twenty new characters who actually have names you need to remember. With over 15 major arcs, that's going to be well over 200 characters. Wow.

I hope that covers most of the excuses people give me as to why they won't watch One Piece. Now here's why you should watch it.

It's awesome. It's amazingly awesome. At the end of every arc you're left feeling satisfied, even happy, of the result. Sometimes all it takes is a single within-arc episode and you're cheering inside. I know I have.

It's funny. It's serious. It's dramatic. It's exciting. It's entertaining.

I can't even explain exactly why I like this show. There's too much about it to write in one post, even though this post is getting pretty long. I think I've been at it for over an hour.

If you're one of those people who I've spoken to and have given me one of the excuses, please post here if my thread has not helped and I will make sure it does.

And no, I cannot tell you where to get it.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:50 AM   #2
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer
Default Re: Watch One Piece.

So is the show still rolling cause I'm up to the Luffy vs. Crocodile fight in the subs and I'm not sure what happens next.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:07 AM   #3
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

It airs once every two weeks in Japan. Current subbers are roughly one week behind the day it airs.

There exist English subtitles for every episode at the present time in one form or another. Better than what they were a year ago when I saw them.

Episode 275 just aired last week, in case you wanted to know that. The manga is about 20 episodes ahead of the anime, but it will never catch up with the once-every-two-weeks concept.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:38 AM   #4
FoJaR
The Worst

Send a message via AIM to FoJaR Send a message via MSN to FoJaR

one piece is my favorite anime. i only watch kaizoku fansubs, because they are amazing, and the other fansubs of one piece suck. so i have only seen 202 episodes.

one piece has made me cry on multiple occasions.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:52 AM   #5
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

That's an amazing amount of restraint.

What I saw in between where they had ended (164 at the time) and where the other group began (219) was so bad it might as well have been a raw, untranslated version.

At the time, I didn't care. I had to finish. I didn't even care that I didn't understand much of anything that was going on.

Which is why I'm re-watching One Piece. All of it.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:55 AM   #6
FoJaR
The Worst

i started watching other fansubs around the fight with the trial of balls thing, but couldnt get through a single episode without wanting to kill whoever did the fansub.

hey squeek let's be friends.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:46 AM   #7
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall

My only problem with one piece is that there's going to be loads of episodes. If I had started following it earlier I'd probably still be with it. Its just off putting how many episodes I'd need to watch to come up to date. I guess I'll give it a shot though. I saw One Piece on TV once and my impression of it was not a good one. I know there's probably a world of difference between what's on my TV and what's on TV's in Japan. Loads of crap always happens to anime when it goes over seas. I know the difference between Dub and Sub and censoring and blah blah blah as well, I'm just lazy I guess. You've persuaded me to give it a shot now though.
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:26 AM   #8
FoJaR
The Worst

dude, just watch one a day. it doesnt matter if you ever catch up, it's about the adventure
Old 08-22-2006, 01:15 PM   #9
Tasuke
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tasuke Send a message via MSN to Tasuke

So it seems like i should watch it now and whatever. But it's a typical shounen show right? To me shounen means "I'm gonna beat this guy. O wai-! He's too strong i better train. Hurray! I beat him. Hay look another strong guy!" And i really don't have the patience (and harddrive space) to watch 300+ episodes of that.
I do enjoy some shounen shows, of course, and I'm watching Air Gear right now, which is a typical shounene show with "leveling up" and everything, but i like the idea, the characters, and the music. And it's not gonna be more than 100 episodes with only 7 manga to base it off. Plus it's from the guy who made Tenjo Tenge.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:53 PM   #10
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Tenjou Tenge was a terrible anime. I'm sure the manga was good, but the anime sucked.

Anyway, nobody ever trains in One Piece aside from Zoro using weights. Ever. Debunk'd that one.

Hikaru no Go was a shounen anime. It had absolutely nothing to do with fighting bad guys. It was a show about a board game. Prince of Tennis is a shounen anime. It had nothing to do with fighting bad guys. It was a show about tennis.

Now, I've seen a lot of Shounen anime. I know that a lof of them suck for what they are. Naruto is terrible because there's one bad guy and he never dies. Inuyasha was terrible because there's only one bad guy and he never dies. Bleach is getting to be the same way. DBZ had four bad guys, one of whom wasn't really a bad guy.

I'm telling ya, One Piece is different. I got my friend (Friend 'B' from my story!) to take the first thirty episodes from me one night. He watched the first one, then the next, then the next. Got through ten episodes in one night. He took all 275 episodes from me that night. He's on episode 150 now and he's been at it for about two weeks.

He's not an anime fan either.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:18 PM   #11
cC@Zz
FFR Player

Its not an anime I like to much but I watch it anyway.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:23 AM   #12
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Man even though I know exactly what's happening in the show since I've seen it before it's still just absolutely amazing.

I actually let out an audible cheer at three in the morning from this episode.

No other show could even come close to this.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:41 AM   #13
ckj846
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ckj846

I do think that the length of an anime is a factor when I watch anime. I mean, what is the difference between Inuyasha and One Piece because they are both very long. Sure One Piece may have an amazing storyline and everything but I guess I'm more overwhelemed with the amount of time I have to invest into it. School is starting soon and everything so I wouldn't want to start a good anime that will take that much time to finish. I've seen some episodes and I enjoyed them, but I won't be watching the whole series anytime soon. Why didn't you post this at the beginning of summer squeek? I'm not saying I hate this anime like most do, I just don't have the time and patience >.<
O_o
pyro31191: so they can buy dildos instead of fleshlights
ckj846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:43 AM   #14
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I watched One Piece during school.

What about it? I saw an entire 25-episode arc in one day. With classes.

My friend had the same complaint though. He loves it so much but now he's in school so he can't dedicate as much time as he did during the last week of summer into it. People who take school seriously scare me.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:30 AM   #15
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall

Well seeing as I watched 165 episodes of Naruto and liked it. I should give One Piece a ahot. It would be the right thing.
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 03:21 PM   #16
YouAreAwsome
FFR Player

one piece isint full of a bunch of fillers like naruto and bleach, so i stuck to it,and seen up to 258(G-S and K-F subs).although long, its better than most shouen.
YouAreAwsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:52 PM   #17
skylink
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to skylink Send a message via MSN to skylink

where can i get them.
@youareawsome....holy crap is that bubbles!!?
skylink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:56 PM   #18
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

You can legally get them anywhere that sells anime as it's one of the biggest shows ever.

You could illegally get it but I wouldn't condone such acts of piracy. Maybe the Internet would be a good place to start looking for that.

Yes, her avatar is the PowerPuff Girls Z version of Bubbles. Her voice actor is weird.

Back to One Piece.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:56 PM   #19
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Kilgamayan

Endlessseries is endless.

I watched some of One Piece. I didn't like it. I can see why some people would, but I don't myself. Sorry.

The only "endless shounen" show I ever liked was Rockman.EXE, and that was only for Mayl and Roll. Even at that, I stopped watching after the Gospel saga.
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:42 AM   #20
Kefit
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kefit

oh hey look wall of text

Anyway, I have seen the first 60 or so episodes of this. While I enjoy what I have seen, it falls prey to the endless shonen conventions that make me stay away from the genre so much - namely, being endless. This means that I enjoy it a lot for a time, then stop caring completely.

I've been meaning to get back into it though, mostly because I have recently caught the odd episode of it at a friend's house. Maybe I will watch an episode tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seinno
and also thank you everone for clearing it up for me I will try to start using my two hands iv tried quit a bit i put my left hand index and middle finger middle finger is on the up arrow index on on left arrow and right hand i use my index for the down button and middle for the right button does that seem weird?
Kefit is offline   Reply With Quote