Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #81
Ohaider
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Atheism/Theism thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
They're all equally insignificant because they are all completely without evidence
Not saying this isn't true^^

but most athiests don't even know of any of those other gods other than yahweh rofl
Old 02-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #82
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohaider View Post
but most athiests don't even know of any of those other gods other than yahweh rofl
this is probably not even remotely true, especially with the advent of the internet
Old 02-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #83
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Not saying this isn't true^^

That isn't remotely true at all
Old 02-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #84
Ohaider
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
probably
i'm sure you can go off and inevitably find something on google regarding this considering the effort put forth, but having had not searched for this, i've never seen an instance in which an athiest on the internet has acknowledged any other god except yahweh and maybe allah haha

other than that cute pic ofc

edit: that's just me personally though haha

Last edited by Ohaider; 02-14-2013 at 08:17 PM..
Old 02-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #85
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
i'm sure you can go off and inevitably find something on google regarding this considering the effort put forth, but having had not searched for this, i've never seen an instance in which an athiest on the internet has acknowledged any other god except yahweh and maybe allah haha
Most internet debates are between atheists and Christians, so Yahweh is going to eat up a fair chunk of the discussion.

"I know you're a Christian, but let us talk about Allah/Ra/Thor/Wotan instead!"
Old 02-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #86
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

If people don't even know of at least the Greek or Egyptian gods then idk what they're teaching in schools over there.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #87
Ohaider
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Most internet debates are between atheists and Christians, so Yahweh is going to eat up a fair chunk of the discussion.

"I know you're a Christian, but let us talk about Allah/Ra/Thor/Wotan instead!"
If you're regarding retaliations, correct haha
Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #88
JJTrixX
Green & Gold ReflexKage
FFR Veteran

to answer all of that is simple, It all comes down to the matter of faith. I guess a more refined question to this discussion would be: to have faith vs. not to have faith?

You claim that atheism is not a religion, i could argue both ways that it is and it isn't, but for now let us say atheism is not a religion because it is the lack of belief in a higher being. I also understand there are different types of atheists. Is it you don't believe in a higher being or you don't beleive in anything that can not be proven? Or is your position of atheism a complete absence of faith?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #89
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:

other than that cute pic ofc

edit: that's just me personally though haha
about 33% of the world's population is christian, about 23% is islam

it makes sense that the majority of atheist vs theist content on the internet is against yahweh or allah
Old 02-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #90
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTrixX View Post
to answer all of that is simple, It all comes down to the matter of faith. I guess a more refined question to this discussion would be: to have faith vs. not to have faith?

You claim that atheism is not a religion, i could argue both ways that it is and it isn't, but for now let us say atheism is not a religion because it is the lack of belief in a higher being. I also understand there are different types of atheists. Is it you don't believe in a higher being or you don't beleive in anything that can not be proven? Or is your position of atheism a complete absence of faith?
My position is a complete absence of blind faith. I don't take something for granted just because someone says so. I have faith that another day will come tomorrow because it's a consistent and observable phenomenon. I don't have faith in something I can only know is true when we die, given the premise that there is something after death (which also cannot be proven or disproven).
Old 02-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #91
Ohaider
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
about 33% of the world's population is christian, about 23% is islam

it makes sense that the majority of atheist vs theist content on the internet is against yahweh or allah
cool ty for supporting my point

make yahweh seem as insignificant as any other god in a pic when in reality he's by far the most highly noted, disparaged god haha
Old 02-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #92
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Is it you don't believe in a higher being or you don't beleive in anything that can not be proven? Or is your position of atheism a complete absence of faith?
Atheism = lack of belief/faith in higher powers/the supernatural. It is not a religion. It's a lack of religion.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #93
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:

make yahweh seem as insignificant as any other god in a pic when in reality he's by far the most highly noted, disparaged god haha
So you think that what's true comes down to what's the most popular/noted?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #94
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:

Why would a christian or muslim bring up gods from polytheistic religions if their religion is monotheistic?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #95
JJTrixX
Green & Gold ReflexKage
FFR Veteran

I've come to know that the biggest difference of atheists vs. theists is that atheists are always searching for a truth they will never remotely grasp as suppose to a theist who has already accepted a truth based on faith.

I ask you, as an atheist, of all the information and science known throughout the entire universe, about what amount in terms of percentage would you say you understand?

Furthermore, do you find it wise or logical to spend your entire lifespan trying to understand everything about the universe rather then using that time more considerably like caring for the ones you love and spending time with them?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #96
dragonmegaXX
ITG playing fur
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I worship Tiamat, queen of chaos and dragons
Old 02-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #97
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
I've come to know that the biggest difference of atheists vs. theists is that atheists are always searching for a truth they will never remotely grasp as suppose to a theist who has already accepted a truth based on faith.

I ask you, as an atheist, of all the information and science known throughout the entire universe, about what amount in terms of percentage would you say you understand?

Furthermore, do you find it wise or logical to spend your entire lifespan trying to understand everything about the universe rather then using that time more considerably like caring for the ones you love and spending time with them?
What you're stating as truth is a truth based on falsehood. There's nothing that proves that that is the actual truth.

Anyway, understanding can improve your life in ways you wouldn't know of if you didn't understand. That said, there's a whole lot of things I don't know (yet), but that's fine by me. I understand that I won't be able to understand everything there is to understand, so I focus on things that matter for me and my well-being. For example, I'm studying to become a concept artist and for that I have to have understanding of various things in physics (such as how light works in different situations and why). If you understand it, you're better capable of using it to your advantage. I also find it just fun to learn new things (and using it to my advantage in every day life).

Last edited by Nullifidian; 02-14-2013 at 08:40 PM..
Old 02-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #98
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
This is called "argument from ignorance." Just because you don't know something doesn't mean you can just shrug your shoulders and make something up and have it be true.

Let's say I show you a safe and ask you what's inside. You don't know enough yet to crack it. Are you really going to say that your "truth" is the right one when it's no different from a guess, even if you feel really, really strongly about it? You have no idea what's in the safe, and neither does anyone else. But at least some people are trying to figure out how to get inside the safe to get the real answer

Quote:
You can do both. Why must it be one or the other?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #99
Ohaider
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
So you think that what's true comes down to what's the most popular/noted?
I don't really know where you got this from haha

the point of the picture displaying a list of all gods athiests don't believe in is to show that to athiests, yahweh is just another meager god they don't believe,

yet the typical athiest puts innumerable effort in derailing the christian god, that they probably wouldnt put forth if one were talking about say Zeus haha.

Getting hypocritical vibes from it is all
Old 02-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #100
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
I don't really know where you got this from haha

the point of the picture displaying a list of all gods athiests don't believe in is to show that to athiests, yahweh is just another meager god they don't believe, when the typical athiest puts innumerable effort in derailing that one god that they most certainly wouldnt put forth if one were talking about say Zeus haha.

Getting hypocritical vibes from it is all
Because you don't seem to understand why Yahweh is given more focus. It's not that atheists are so focused on "one god." It's *all* gods. The arguments that apply to Yahweh apply to all of them. It's just that most religious people you'll encounter on the internet believe in Yahweh, so that tends to be near the forefront of the discussion (if it's to be brought up at all).
Closed Thread