Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
alainbryden
Seen your member
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Taking over Anywhere.FM

The site: http://www.anywhere.fm/player/

The gold: Upload your entire music collection which you, yourself will thereafter be able to access from any computer. On top of this, you can stream random music from the library of anyone else. The GUI is brilliant, and it even comes with some visualizers.

This site is a great way to discover genres you like, and find new music to buy / download, as well as take a look at your friends and see how your tastes in music match up.

The goal: Anyone else can stream your music from the player if they like it. Become the most listened to and befriended music collector on FFR and on the site.

When you browse for other libraries (Browse Community) the top 15 listened to people appear on that list. Let's all build libraries, listen to each other's music everywhere we go, and get all FFR members on the top 15 list.

Here are all the members on FFR, and their ranking based on my own personal preference, and some statistics provided by the website. My formula for their calculated rating is below. You should definitely add the top people on this list to your friends when you join, if not all of them, and listen to their music to help them climb the anywhere.fm ranks based on number of complete song plays.

FFR Library Scores:
Code:
Rank MyRating Name           Songs Comp Plylsts Plays Lisnrs Genres                                      
1    753      alainbryden    826   100  27      16875 251    Trance, House, Ambient, Dance, Techno       
2    546      Zageron        1620  13   64      2490  36     Game, Electronica, Pop                      
3    532      Hicn           746   32   43      6176  86     Rap, Hip-Hop, Techno/Trance                 
4    528      bluguerrilla   3887  20   31      211   12     Alternative / Indie, Rock, Electronica      
5    487      nadzb21        1523  61   24      660   16     Ambient, Dance, Rock, Hip-Hop, Electronica  
6    482      ELRayford      1452  65   29      231   12     Electronica, Trance, Dance                  
7    430      Mentalmage     1529  32   29      66    6      Alternative, Game, Techno                   
8    354      pyroshock      119   44   10      648   41     Trance, Dance, Electronica                  
9    350      r0nburgundy    725   8    23      97    7      Metal, Hard Rock, Classic Rock              
10   349      Chromer        378   20   29      299   37     Electronica, Techno                         
11   337      Tokzic         1345  8    12      511   42     Metal, Rock, Alternative                    
12   327      Moogstacular   537   0    29      154   17     Rock, Alternative, Techno                   
13   319      sleeplessdragn 16    100  9       69    20     Original, Electronica                       
14   317      bochean        221   0    18      431   23     Electronic, Avantgarde, Rock                
15   308      TheSorrow      521   32   30      27    11     Rock, Dance, Pop                            
16   307      Tibs           45    0    9       763   52     Rock, Electronica, Alternative              
17   286      intensez       125   35   19      63    13     Rock, Alternative, Game                     
18   274      Jurs           320   13   14      42    9      Dance, Rock, Alternative, Indie             
19   255      6LiveFree9     281   0    14      49    13     Rock, Alternative                           
20   252      lordcarbo      249   0    29      46    33     Alternative, Pop, Blues                     
21   250      SethSquall     43    0    16      122   20     Electronica, Pop, Rock                      
22   248      kenzya         297   0    14      42    15     Punk, Rock, Punk Rock                       
23   240      Nyokou         163   64   8       174   16     Trance, Blues, Electronica                  
24   236      mead1          236   0    12      22    7      Electronica, Indie, Rock                    
25   232      bobloblaw      300   0    17      24    15     Rock, Indie, Ambient                        
26   221      biffmage       180   0    11      23    10     Metal, Rock, Gangster Nerd Rap, Electronica 
27   214      Telvanni_guard 124   0    18      11    5      Alternative, Blues, Unique                  
28   205      windsurfer-sp  85    11   13      8     5      Alternative, Rock, Punk                     
29   201      Pumble         95    0    9       9     2      Electronica, Rock                           
30   200      FishFish       120   8    16      13    14     Hip-Hop, Metal, Electronica                 
31   192      purplepopcorn  660   10   11      19    18     Rock, Indie, Alternative                    
32   191      T_T            100   0    10      9     6      Rock, Alternative, Electronica, Techno      
33   179      CypherToorima  151   12   14      4     11     Techno, Goa                                 
34   160      p337           38    0    9       8     13     Indie, Alternative, Rock                    
35   157      Tps222         582   0    10      4     3      Classic Rock, Rock, Alternative             
36   137      adlp           7     0    13      2     6      Rock, Accoustic, Indie                      
37   124      TwilightShade  17    32   8       8     3      Techno, Electronica                         
38   107      Specforces     0     100  6       0     1      N/A                                         
39   101      loot           156   60   8       0     3      Dance, Electronic                           
40   80       felixjawesome  26    0    5       12    7      Alternative / Indie, Rock, Electronica      
41   65       gazeebo        11    0    8       13    16     Rock, Hip-Hop, Electronica                  
42   32       Raziel         7     0    5       3     9      Rock, Hip-Hop                               
43   32       Lito           34    0    8       1     4      Dance, Pop, Techno                          
44   29       lilshortieman  9     12   8       0     2      Jazz, Electronica                           
45   27       GLoVE          1     0    6       2     6      Metal                                       
46   26       xinpig         58    0    8       0     1      Anime                                       
47   22       fastfingers65  1     0    7       1     10     Anime                                       
48   17       CaZ            13    0    8       0     1      Rock, Pop, Rap
Formula:
Code:
Rating=INT(songs/LN(songs+2)^2*5)+compatibility+MIN(100,INT(7500*MAX((playlists-8),0)/(songs+1)))+playlists+INT(40*LOG(1+(songplays/(listeners/3+0.01))^2))+listeners
The formula is complex, but loosely works as follows: Your score is a weighted combination of the number of songs you have, the number of playlists, which determine the organization of your music, the number of plays and listeners, and the compatibility (which is subjective, and can be used to tweak or inflate scores, but comes from the compatibility statistic when viewing another member's music.)

To improve your FFR Library Score:
-The number of songs adds to your score with a weighting that decreases logarithmically, so the difference between having 1000 songs and 2000 songs starts not making such a difference.
-The compatibility is between 0 and 100, subjective, and is added directly to your score.
-The playlists component is between 0 and 100, where 0 is no playlists (discounting the 8 automatically generated ones) and 100 is one playlist for every 75 songs or better. The number of playlists you have (a relatively small number) is then added to your score.
-The number of plays you have decreases logarithmically and with the number of listeners you have, using low pass filter formulae so that users with few plays are not penalized for having many listeners initially.
-The number of listeners increases your score directly.

The original thread where lord_carbo discovered the site and people started joining up is here.

Last edited by alainbryden; 10-3-2007 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: Update
alainbryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
alainbryden
Seen your member

Default Re: Taking over Anywhere.FM

This is the list of people on FFR, in alphabetical order, as well as some comments I have on each of their libraries.

Help eachother out - click everyone's name once to add them to your friend's list, give them one more listener, and then whenever you can, listen to someone elses music to boost their listens.

Name Genres Comments
6LiveFree9 Rock, Alternative Has good mood-based playlists (Depressed, Love, Pissed)
adlp Rock, Accoustic, Indie He's new, give him time to redeem himself
alainbryden Trance, House, Ambient, Dance, Techno Good chill out music.
biffmage Metal, Rock, Gangster Nerd Rap, Electronica Very random collection of fairly unique songs.
bluguerrilla Alternative / Indie, Rock, Electronica Has lots of good music from unique and chill genres, and a good breadth of rock.
bobloblaw Rock, Indie, Ambient Some good playlists isolating songs from good artists like Zero 7, Modest Mouse, Massive Attack
bochean Electronic, Avantgarde, Rock Good variety of lesser known artists, good breadth of genres, 4 out of 5 are good ambient songs.
Chromer Electronica, Techno Lots of playlists, including a large collection of Rhythm game songs.
CypherToorima Techno, Goa Has a short collection of lesser known Daft Punk and Infected mushroom songs.
ELRayford Electronica, Trance, Dance A collection much like mine, but more electronic. Lots of good chill out trance and techno in there, as well as some good album playlists.
fastfingers65 Anime Has only one song (MINMI - Who's Theme). mmK….
felixjawesome Alternative / Indie, Rock, Electronica Small collection, some of his own work (Fat's Sabobah) and other alternative/indie rock material on there.
FishFish Hip-Hop, Metal, Electronica Has a good collection of The Books uploaded.
gazeebo Rock, Hip-Hop, Electronica Completely random selection of 11 songs from his library
Hicn Rap, Hip-Hop, Techno/Trance Has a good variety of music, mostly based around Hip-Hop
intensez Rock, Alternative, Game Has a few songs, divided conveniently into three playlists.
Jurs Dance, Rock, Alternative, Indie Has a good collection of popular songs and albums, a good variety of artists from her genres. Some cute playlists that apparently she puts on makeup to.
kenzya Punk, Rock, Punk Rock Lots of music, very rocky overall, but lots of messed up id3 tags.
lilshortieman Jazz, Electronica Needs more material
loot Dance, Electronic New, but he's put up a good collection of music from the dance and electronic genre. Should work on making playlists.
lordcarbo Alternative, Pop, Blues Solid Collection, very well organized into artist playlists, a great source for listening to singers like Mika, Barkley, Ferdinand, Winehouse and others.
Mentalmage Alternative, Game, Techno Extremely well built collection, should become popular. Wide variety of genres, and a good collection of popular music from each genre.
Moogstacular Rock, Alternative, Techno A good library, major artists separated into playlists, a good source for Jamiroquai, SoaD, and Jane's Addiction
nadzb21 Ambient, Dance, Rock, Hip-Hop, Electronica My sister Nadia Bryden's fantastic collection. She has almost a third of the music I uploaded, as well as a great selection of rock like System of a Down and emerging alternative bands.
Nyokou Trance, Blues, Electronica A broad collection that touches on songs from SM music to popular techno
p337 Indie, Alternative, Rock A thin collection of fairly relaxed alternative music.
purplepopcorn Rock, Indie, Alternative A large collection, decently separated into playlists. Mostly popular artists.
pyroshock Trance, Dance, Electronica I like this collection. It's modest but it's got the best from good artists like Crystal Method, ATB and Daft Punk. Also has a nice trance playlist.
Raziel Rock, Hip-Hop Tiny collection, you can see if you like any of the 7 songs he uploaded but it's not something you'd listen to for hours or even minutes.
r0nburgundy Metal, Hard Rock, Classic Rock Large set of hard rock, and metal, extensive in various artists, but needs to makes these more accessible with playlists.
SethSquall Electronica, Pop, Rock Short set of songs, and no organization into playlists, but it's a decent one to scan through for songs you might want to download for yourself.
sleeplessdragn Original, Electronica Honourable mention, because this is sleeplessdragn's personal compositions. They are very high quality songs, I recommend everyone listens to it and gives him props.
T_T Rock, Alternative, Electronica, Techno Decent set of songs from all over the map, some popular music, some less known electronica, the odd rock song like lenny kravitz tucked in to keep things unpredictable, and the collection has it's apex with homestarrunner's "The System is Down"
Telvanni_guard Alternative, Blues, Unique A neat set of songs from artists I mostly haven't heard of. A good set of songs to browse through and download. Made me laugh when Tiny Tim came up with his classic Tip Toe Thru The Tulips.
TheSorrow Rock, Dance, Pop Fairly good library, with everything rocky from Sum 41 to Micheal Jackson, but the ID3 tags and playlist organization need work.
Tibs Rock, Electronica, Alternative Neat collection of obscure electronica and techno, as well as some rock. A good little library to look at and broaden your spectrum within these genres.
Tokzic Metal, Rock, Alternative A fantastic station, great to listen too for long periods of time. Lots of music and a really good selection of known and lesser known songs and artists. Definitely needs some playlist organization though.
Tps222 Classic Rock, Rock, Alternative Good collection of light to hard rock, classic rock, alternative. Definitely needs playlist organization, and needs to get his radio listened to some more.
windsurfer-sp Alternative, Rock, Punk Some good light pop-rock like Red Hot Chili Peppers and Good Charlotte, as well as some more alternative artists like Imogen Heap and Conti

Last edited by alainbryden; 08-24-2007 at 10:30 AM..
Old 08-21-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
alainbryden
Seen your member

Tips
  • Upload songs 10-20 at a time, or it will get slower and slower as with any transfer.
  • Songs take up to 5 minutes to appear in your library sometimes after uploading.
  • Some songs will not upload at all if they are of the wrong format or not encoded normally. If a song won't upload and you want it there, try reconverting it with a LAME mp3 encoder.
  • Stick to a few related genres, or group genres into playlists. Make lots of playlists so people can find what they want to listen to.
  • You can link to your own radio with http://anywhere.fm/alainbryden or your equivalent user name.
  • To make a playlist, click the + in the bottom left corner, name your playlist and drag whatever songs you want into it. Don't worry about keeping track of what's already in there - Unlike iTunes, you can drag the same song in twice by accident and it will only appear in there once.'
  • If you find you uploaded a song with messed up song title or author information, don't fret, now you can right click (or hit escape) and fix it without having to repair the ID3 tag on your computer and re-upload the song.
  • Anywhere.fm will label your playlist radio with the three most common genres in your playlist. Make sure you have properly labeled the genres of your tracks if you care about how your music style appears in your profile and auto-generated playlists. You can edit the genre of songs already uploaded in the same was as listed above.
  • Is your music painfully disorganized? I'm retentive about organizing my music. I found a free tool that's really useful and saves me a lot of work. http://jj.consti.de/jjsoftware/uk/mp3renamer.html
    If a) You usually name your songs properly on your computer, but the ID3 tags are messed up or non-existent for the most part, or
    b) You usually name your ID3 tags perfectly in iTunes or Windows Media Player, but browsing for songs on your computer is impossibly frustrating because they have ridiculous file names.
    You can use this tool go through a pile of mp3s and either rename the file based on the ID3 tag or write the ID3 tag based on the information in the file name.
  • Does your music appear with wrong Tag information in Anywhere.FM, or your car's MP3 player, even though you've written all the correct tag information using iTunes or Windows Media Player? The reason is that there are two ID3 tags in mp3 files, v1 and v2. v1 is simpler, limited, and used by most basic programs and software. iTunes and WMP both write to ID3v2 tags, and fail to synchronize the ID3v1 tags with matching information. You use the above tool to write your ID3v2 tag information to your ID3v1 tags on your mp3 files, so that this confusion no longer occurs.

Last edited by alainbryden; 08-24-2007 at 12:55 PM..
Old 08-21-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
Xception704
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Eh ... take me off ... only reason I got an account was to listen to other people's libraries. xD
Xception704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
alainbryden
Seen your member

what, are you embarrassed of your worship rock? : p
Old 08-21-2007, 03:04 PM   #6
g4z33b0
Banned

Send a message via AIM to g4z33b0

ok when i get my laptop back i'm going to start uploading, eventually i'll get my whole library up. awesome thread alain.
g4z33b0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:09 PM   #7
Nyokou
( ̄ー ̄)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Nyokou

Oh, I forgot about this.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #8
alainbryden
Seen your member

I'll keep messing with the ranking formula to keep disparity fairly low.
I'm picking someone different on that list to listen to every day. Today it's been bochean and sleeplessdragn.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #9
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall

Cool, I wish I thought of making a playlist then uploading.

Last edited by SethSquall; 08-21-2007 at 03:23 PM..
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:19 PM   #10
Xception704
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Nah ... I just don't really go on that site much ... well, at all.
Xception704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:20 PM   #11
alainbryden
Seen your member

You can still make a playlist. Click the little + sign in the bottom left corner, name your playlist and drag whatever songs you want into it. Don't worry about keeping track of what's already in them. Unlike i-tunes, you can drag the same song in twice by accident and it will only appear in there once.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:22 PM   #12
Tibs
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Tibs

When I get my PC back i'll upload lots maybe ps i like my review a+
Tibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:24 PM   #13
NarutoFoxDemon
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to NarutoFoxDemon

I uploaded music, you should find it.My username is T_T for whatever reason.

EDIT: I'm on the list, I feel touched, all that is on my i-Tunes.

Last edited by NarutoFoxDemon; 08-21-2007 at 03:27 PM..
NarutoFoxDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:30 PM   #14
SethSquall
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by alainbryden View Post
You can still make a playlist. Click the little + sign in the bottom left corner, name your playlist and drag whatever songs you want into it. Don't worry about keeping track of what's already in them. Unlike i-tunes, you can drag the same song in twice by accident and it will only appear in there once.
Ah awesome. I'm Updateing and uploading more now.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:30 PM   #15
intensez
FFR Player

I'm going to upload some more random music. Bye
intensez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #16
NarutoFoxDemon
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to NarutoFoxDemon

Yeah, I just put 3 Days Grace on mine T_T
Old 08-21-2007, 04:11 PM   #17
Mental Mage
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Mental Mage Send a message via MSN to Mental Mage

Hey if anyone has any suggestions of stuff to put on my radio Ill take it (please listen a bit first and get a feel for whats on there first) I love music and always love an excuse to get more [400 songs to go ] Other than that I would like to report my first two "plays" happened recently :P I feel special.

"Do you want a bomb mental?" - Synthlight
Mental Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:13 PM   #18
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222

Oh, I've had an account for a while.

It's Tps or Tps222, I don't remember.

I have Rush's Queen's and Van Halen's entire discography plus a lot of other good classic rock.

About it.
Tps222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:21 PM   #19
SethSquall
FFR Player

The inbuilt uploader is crap. I don't use iTunes either =[
Old 08-21-2007, 06:02 PM   #20
purplepopcorn
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to purplepopcorn

Heh, I just let the uploader run for a little while then let it be. I'll make some better playlists and whatnot soon if I get around to it.
purplepopcorn is offline   Reply With Quote