Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2012, 04:44 AM   #541
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach
Default Re: The Fitness Thread

Quote:
Honestly, people keep saying if you have a calorie deficit in your diet you wont gain muscle, but I've seen personal gains in myself and in others while doing it. So you can gain muscle, it's just not going to be like if you are at a calorie surplus.
You're not talking about simply strength gains, are you? Because of course you can gain strength during a cut, but LBM? Unlikely, and not supported by research. How were you tracking your LBM during your cut and how do you know you were gaining?

I haven't read any research that shows it to be possible. Creation of LBM is only favored by the body in a state of caloric surplus where energy needs have already been met. I did read a study once where people completely green to any kind of exercise at all were put on slightly sub maintenance diets for their first month at the gym and saw small LBM gains, but that doesn't really apply to you.

Also were you on a continuous deficit? If you cycle cheat days with caloric surplus you can potentially gain a small amount of muscle during a cut for obvious reasons (this is essentially what lean gains attempts to do)
Old 09-13-2012, 05:51 AM   #542
ssbmchamp
Can't improve at this game.
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senip View Post
Ya'll are being ridiculous as **** though about the whole I CANT GIVE ADVICE HURR LOOK AT MY RESULTS bullshit. SSBM, regardless of whether that is in fact you, a split like yours would do absolutely nothing for 95% of the people. My guess is you're just lying, because it absolutely baffles me that you claim the "results" you have...unless you're juicin, then yeah, I could see it. If you're juicin and you're only benching 350 though, wow, lol.

For the record, yes, that is in fact me, and no I do not "juice" or take any supplements other than whey protein. What continues to baffle my mind is how you and practically everyone else thinks I'm lying. Just a couple things I'd like to put out there...

1) My roommate in college, with a similar body type as me was just like me and never worked out before. He was the one who I consistently did this workout with and there were several weeks where he went up quicker than me. A couple other friends also tried it and started to go up at a good rate, they just weren't as motivated so they didn't see similar progress gains, but they did increase about 10 pounds in a month for bench.

2) I think the fact that my workout sounds so absurd/unbelievable that people automatically think i'm lying....yet there's one thing wrong with that.....you or others haven't in fact tried it so how can you say it doesn't work??? I'm not saying you'll go up as quick as me or my roommate but I would guarantee majority of people starting out would increase their bench easily 10-15 pounds a month until they begin to plateau.
ssbmchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #543
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

oh i thought i'd let everyone know. my knee wasn't too much of an issue last night, but the gym floor was incredibly slippery and i am extremely rusty. holy ****. at least my setting is still on point. thats all i need to be able to do really
Old 09-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #544
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
You're not talking about simply strength gains, are you? Because of course you can gain strength during a cut, but LBM? Unlikely, and not supported by research. How were you tracking your LBM during your cut and how do you know you were gaining?

I haven't read any research that shows it to be possible. Creation of LBM is only favored by the body in a state of caloric surplus where energy needs have already been met. I did read a study once where people completely green to any kind of exercise at all were put on slightly sub maintenance diets for their first month at the gym and saw small LBM gains, but that doesn't really apply to you.

Also were you on a continuous deficit? If you cycle cheat days with caloric surplus you can potentially gain a small amount of muscle during a cut for obvious reasons (this is essentially what lean gains attempts to do)
I was doing a CKD diet with a cheat meal thrown in every couple of weeks. That might have something to do with it, but I did the calipers and electronic whatever (gripping the handles and having the electric current course through to judge) and they both said I gained about 8-12 pounds of muscle while losing 80~ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbmchamp View Post
For the record, yes, that is in fact me, and no I do not "juice" or take any supplements other than whey protein. What continues to baffle my mind is how you and practically everyone else thinks I'm lying. Just a couple things I'd like to put out there...

1) My roommate in college, with a similar body type as me was just like me and never worked out before. He was the one who I consistently did this workout with and there were several weeks where he went up quicker than me. A couple other friends also tried it and started to go up at a good rate, they just weren't as motivated so they didn't see similar progress gains, but they did increase about 10 pounds in a month for bench.

2) I think the fact that my workout sounds so absurd/unbelievable that people automatically think i'm lying....yet there's one thing wrong with that.....you or others haven't in fact tried it so how can you say it doesn't work??? I'm not saying you'll go up as quick as me or my roommate but I would guarantee majority of people starting out would increase their bench easily 10-15 pounds a month until they begin to plateau.
I dunno, if you started with 225x5, thats 260. a 100 pound increase over 2 years of doing nothing but bench and curls doesnt sound all that fantabulous. Especially since most of us aren't nearly as worried about our bench (other than the benefits it has towards every other part of the body, once you nail it down) as you are.
Senip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #545
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

my god. the testosterone in this thread is insane.

good for the 5 people on FFR that work out and look amazing. i'm jealous, but come on. clearly whatever ssbm is doing is working, maybe he has an extremely fast metabolism. who knows. but if i could look like him following what he does i would be all over it.

same with reach and scwolf and senip.

you all look incredible and i know you don't all do the same thing. everyone has a different body, different build, genetics. so you can't tell someone they are doing something wrong with their workout unless its form.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #546
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmay View Post
my god. the testosterone in this thread is insane.

good for the 5 people on FFR that work out and look amazing. i'm jealous, but come on. clearly whatever ssbm is doing is working, maybe he has an extremely fast metabolism. who knows. but if i could look like him following what he does i would be all over it.

same with reach and scwolf and senip.

you all look incredible and i know you don't all do the same thing. everyone has a different body, different build, genetics. so you can't tell someone they are doing something wrong with their workout unless its form.
Aww...

Also: if you guys arent on the fish oil craze, you should hop onto it nao. Not just for building muscle/losing fat, but for this little gem: "There was a study published four years ago that showed that if the US government issued three grams of fish oil per day to American citizens, then the amount of cancer and heart disease would go down by 50% within one year. "

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...th_december_06

There's a lot of info in there regarding other stuff, Charles Poliquin is a freaking genius of fitness.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #547
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.1157797

Eeerrrr...
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #548
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
That would be synthol. I cant believe they're allowing that in the book...
Old 09-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #549
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

fish oil eh?

glucosamine is also a good one. even if you dont have joint pain now. for you guys lifting like 300 pounds. it will catch up to you. just something to think about. i dont want you guys feeling like shit while you look good. just wouldnt be worth it
Old 09-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #550
jductape
500+250+50-300-15+1000+rs
FFR Veteran

haha, there's really no resemblance to popeye. I mean popeye's forearms got huge, and this guy has rather normal sized forearms.

But with this creatine, how long before one starts seeing its effect?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #551
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jductape View Post
haha, there's really no resemblance to popeye. I mean popeye's forearms got huge, and this guy has rather normal sized forearms.

But with this creatine, how long before one starts seeing its effect?
I noticed it within a few days, simply the continued endurance is worth it. If you arent seeing visible results, it's probably because we see ourselves all the time, so we don't see new changes until something radical happens (i.e. shaving chest hair/etc and going "oh, shit!")
Old 09-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #552
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Dumbbell press
Tricep extensions
Shoulder press
Bent over dumbbell rows
Bicep curls
Lunges

Do that like 3 times a week. Aim to increase the weight on your lifts over time, i.e. constantly be pushing yourself to the limit. Try 3 sets of each of those exercises, and aim for 8-12 reps. If you can't do 8 clean reps, lower the weight. If you can do 12 reps, increase the weight by 5 lb. Rest about 2 minutes between sets.
When you say 3 sets of something, how does this work when it comes to the bent-over dumbbell rows, curls, and lunges, which require some form of alternation between limbs (esp. the rows which require a rather static setup not allowing for easy alternation)? Does this then become 3 sets per limb or 3 sets of alternation?

For instance,
3 sets dumbbell press, 8-12 reps
3 sets tricep extensions, 8-12 reps
3 sets shoulder press, 8-12 reps

3 sets bent-over dumbbell rows, left arm, 8-12 reps
3 sets bent-over dumbbell rows, right arm, 8-12 reps

3 sets bicep curls, left arm, 8-12 reps
3 sets bicep curls, right arm, 8-12 reps
---->Or is this 3 sets bicep curls, alternate left+right, 8-12 reps *per arm*

3 sets lunges, left leg, 8-12 reps
3 sets lunges, right leg, 8-12 reps
---->Or is this 3 sets lunges, alternate left+right, 8-12 reps *per leg*

Sorry if that question made no sense.

At ~35 seconds a set (estimating), with 27 sets and 2 minutes rest in between sets, that's 27*(35 + 2*60) = 4185 seconds = about a 70-minute workout, plus 20 minute cardio brings the whole thing to a 1.5-hr workout session.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 09-13-2012 at 02:23 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #553
Senip
Forum User

I would alternate your arms and legs. I would do both DB rows single arm and double, but rep those out as many times as you can, as heavy as you can. kroc rows are good for you. Also, do deadlifts and some form of squats, regardless of what kind. If you have to do goblet squats, do some damn goblet squats. Squats and deads will burn more calories and recruit more muscle than anything else.

Take shorter rests, dude! The less rest (I shoot for 30-1 minute) between sets, the more your muscles will grow. 2 minutes+ is for power lifters, and you arent a power lifter.

Yes, it's hard, but just push through it.

Was reading http://www.bodybuildingdungeon.com/f...-training.html today, and ran across this image: http://www.darkwoods.com/bodybuilder...e/dillet29.jpg

I always thought that was a joke on 4chan, not an actual person...
Old 09-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #554
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

senip you reply so fast all the time. when do you workout?
Old 09-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #555
Senip
Forum User

Late at night, after my already fun times job. I'm supposed to be doing homework.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #556
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

lol i'm sitting in calc right now. fraaaawk
Old 09-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #557
ssbmchamp
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senip View Post
I dunno, if you started with 225x5, thats 260. a 100 pound increase over 2 years of doing nothing but bench and curls doesnt sound all that fantabulous. Especially since most of us aren't nearly as worried about our bench (other than the benefits it has towards every other part of the body, once you nail it down) as you are.
Correction* I did 225 4 times for the first time ever. Anyways maybe to you or others it may not be impressive. That's fine. For me I think it's impressive, not so much the 100 pound gain, but the fact that it put me pretty close to being able to bench double my body weight, which is my dream goal. I'm 185. If I was like a 250+ pound man then a 100 pound increase wouldn't even be worthy of mentioning.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #558
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
Take shorter rests, dude! The less rest (I shoot for 30-1 minute) between sets, the more your muscles will grow. 2 minutes+ is for power lifters, and you arent a power lifter.
There is evidence on both sides of this issue. Studies show that minimizing the cardiac portion of your weight training leads to more strength gains. This is because most of the energy your body consumes during traditional strength training comes from Adenosine Triphosphate. Your body has a very small phosphagen reserve, which lasts about 15 seconds. It takes your body about 3 minutes to fully replenish phosphagen stores (from fleck).

If you're only concerned with hypertrophy though and your rep ranges are higher, you depend heavily on glucose and produce lactate if you keep your rest periods short, which I think has been associated with hypertrophy gains.

I recommended he rest two minutes because he's overweight and likely out of shape. I don't know how much you look around during your workouts, but most overweight individuals don't have the best cardiac performance and would bust a nut trying to run that routine with 30 second rests.

Quote:
When you say 3 sets of something, how does this work when it comes to the bent-over dumbbell rows, curls, and lunges, which require some form of alternation between limbs (esp. the rows which require a rather static setup not allowing for easy alternation)? Does this then become 3 sets per limb or 3 sets of alternation?
Well, you do 3 sets on each side but you can do one right after the other, and you don't need to rest very long between say dumbbell rows, because one side is resting while you're doing the other set.

Honestly, that workout shouldn't take very long at all. I run a 3 day split and usually run around 20 sets per day and my workouts never take longer than an hour, and I rest pretty long sometimes depending on what the lift is and the rep range I'm using.

You can take Senip's advice on squats or deadlifts, but honestly, I feel like those are more advanced lifts that are for people trying to put on a serious amount of muscle and I don't think they're necessary for you. But that's just my opinion. You'll find a million different ones when it comes to training

I don't see how anyone could call this guy a bodybuilder and why this would be considered a world record.

He hardly looks like he works out; those arms are all oil, as Senip pointed out. Synthol is just oil, lidocaine and alcohol and is injected directly into the arm to inflate it.

Last edited by Reach; 09-13-2012 at 06:15 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #559
Jerry DB
FFR, lift, repeat
FFR Veteran

I couldn't even put up 100 pounds on the bench when I first started I was like 100 pounds myself though. I can put up like 250 right now but it's still always discouraging working harder then people and putting up less numbers. That's a big reason I love mma. Weight classes for one, and also hard work pays off way more in mma in my opinion. For instance there was this kid who could bench 340 when I could only do 200 and he was clearly way bigger/ripped then me. He always talked shit to people and said he could beat me in an mma bout. So one day after school we put on the gloves in front of like 30 people and I whooped his ass. It was funny too because he lied so much about his life he literally convinced himself he knew how to fight. I see that alot in bodybuilding, in mma people are wayyyyyy more humble. This is just an opinion, but anyone else get what I mean?
Old 09-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #560
ssbmchamp
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry DB View Post
I couldn't even put up 100 pounds on the bench when I first started I was like 100 pounds myself though. I can put up like 250 right now but it's still always discouraging working harder then people and putting up less numbers. That's a big reason I love mma. Weight classes for one, and also hard work pays off way more in mma in my opinion. For instance there was this kid who could bench 340 when I could only do 200 and he was clearly way bigger/ripped then me. He always talked shit to people and said he could beat me in an mma bout. So one day after school we put on the gloves in front of like 30 people and I whooped his ass. It was funny too because he lied so much about his life he literally convinced himself he knew how to fight. I see that alot in bodybuilding, in mma people are wayyyyyy more humble. This is just an opinion, but anyone else get what I mean?

I know what you mean. just cuz someone's strong doesn't mean they're a good fighter or just cuz someone's a good fighter doesn't make them strong. I guarantee i couldn't beat a lot of people who are fighters, mainly because my stamina sucks. Though i gotta say if i was a world champ fighter i still wouldn't want to take on ronnie coleman lol. I feel like some body builders are just so big that some fighters would just concede haha.