Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking > Homework & Help
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-3-2014, 12:11 AM   #1
kjman472
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Animation

I will be attending college next year to major in 3D Animation. Any one with experience have any tips or anything to say about the industry?
kjman472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:25 PM   #2
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Animation

Have a goal in mind and work hard.

Work very hard.

Seriously, work very fucking hard.
It's a highly competitive field. You won't make the cut (school wise or industry wise) if you come in with the attitude of doing the bare minimum for a passing grade (not that I expect you to have that attitude but it's a major pitfall). They only hire the best of the best and in order to be in that selection you'll have to have plenty of knowledge and a killer portfolio to boot so utilize the time you have in school to learn as much as you can on various aspects of animation (and beyond, cause principles of other artistic fields are usually transferrable). Knowing drawing/painting fundamentals will help you in animation and knowing animation fundamentals will help you in drawing/painting etc.

As for learning more about animation, observation is KEY. Study how things or animals are in reality (drawing lifestudies), study how they move, study how people act and react with emotions. The absolute key to good animation skill (or any art skill) is good observational skill.

Also, have fun! Don't let what I'm saying here scare you off or anything, just see it as a word of caution but most importantly see it as a fun challenge.

What are you interested in for animation? Feature films? Videogames? Something else?

edit: This thread might be better off in the 32bit rgb forum.

Last edited by Nullifidian; 03-19-2014 at 09:14 AM..
Nullifidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:43 PM   #3
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker

to add to what spitfire already said. one of the best ways to study motion is to record yourself doing things you do. record yourself masturbating, eating, showering, dressing, undressing, crying, masturbating with toys. get a feel for the world around you and how things move and interact with each other.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:52 PM   #4
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
to add to what spitfire already said. one of the best ways to study motion is to record yourself doing things you do. record yourself masturbating, eating, showering, dressing, undressing, crying, masturbating with toys. get a feel for the world around you and how things move and interact with each other.
t..tmi dude

Be prepared to lose your sanity. In fact, if you haven't done so already, just get rid of it. It's easier now than later.
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:54 PM   #5
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker

i was going to go further with it but i stopped myself