Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-6-2007, 08:21 AM   #41
g4z33b0
Banned

Send a message via AIM to g4z33b0
Default Re: Windows Vista

Attempting to make post, Allow or Deny... Someone probably already made that joke, but ya...

And Digital, are you kidding? Vista takes around 2 gigs of RAM to effeciently run, so I doubt that ALL of the latest PC's being sold by the major companies will have Vista...
g4z33b0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2007, 08:28 AM   #42
DiGiTaLSeraph
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to DiGiTaLSeraph Send a message via MSN to DiGiTaLSeraph

g4z33b0, of course I am not kidding...

The Best Buy I work at does NOT have a Computer on sale that has Windows XP pre-installed anymore.

This goes for all other Best Buys- and IIRC, Best Buy is a rather major retailer.

By the way, Minimum Requirements needed on the PC in order for it to be Vista capable:
A modern processor (at least 800MHz)
512 MB of system RAM memory
A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable

Windows Vista Premium Ready PC Specifications (Recommended Requirements):

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 GB of system memory
A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero (DirectX 9 class graphics processor that supports WDDM Driver, Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware and 32 bits per pixel with big enough graphics memory)
128 MB of graphics memory
40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space
DVD-ROM Drive
Audio output capability
Internet access capability

You need more than what it says of course on your PC, because the OS uses up a good chunk of that power to run...

Last edited by DiGiTaLSeraph; 03-6-2007 at 08:31 AM..
DiGiTaLSeraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2007, 08:38 AM   #43
g4z33b0
Banned

What is your best buy going to say to a single mom who needs a computer for her kids to do their homework, who doesn't have the $1000 dollars to waste on a Vista installed pc? Obviously just fuuck you, I guess

Vista is terrible. Even if your Best Buy does carry all Vista PC's, that is a terrible mistake. Still a buggy operating system, with so many useless features that just suck up ram and kill your processor. Please. You may want to use some terrible operating with almost no useful/good updates, but I'll just stick with my 95, 2000, and XP.
Old 03-6-2007, 09:34 AM   #44
DiGiTaLSeraph
FFR Player

Fortunately I see you're only 15 and you obviously haven't done your research on the matter before you've attempted to argue with someone who knows that there are Vista-Installed PCs selling as low as 599$. ****, there are even PACKAGES with those said PCs that sell for 699$ and includes the whole ****ing shabang. (Monitor and Printer included.)

Quote:
Vista is terrible. Even if your Best Buy does carry all Vista PC's, that is a terrible mistake. Still a buggy operating system, with so many useless features that just suck up ram and kill your processor. Please. You may want to use some terrible operating with almost no useful/good updates, but I'll just stick with my 95, 2000, and XP.
Whoa I thought you were starting an argument? Rofl, you preach the words that everyone in my team has been saying for the past year.

Also, I believe ALL retailers that sell new PCs, sell them with Vista Pre-installed. It was a move made by the manufacturers, not the vendor themselves. Such is the price one must pay for an user-friendly OS.

Last edited by DiGiTaLSeraph; 03-6-2007 at 09:43 AM..
Old 03-6-2007, 09:45 AM   #45
Maid
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I have about 10 themes installed on XP including the Vista look, nothing special.
Maid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2007, 09:47 AM   #46
DiGiTaLSeraph
FFR Player

I'd be really impressed if your theme can emulate the Aero Vista appearance well. (Screen Thumbnails, the 3D scrolling interface, etc...)

I've had a few, but they're been nothing but basicly petty reskins.
Old 03-6-2007, 09:55 AM   #47
Maid
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGiTaLSeraph View Post
I'd be really impressed if your theme can emulate the Aero Vista appearance well. (Screen Thumbnails, the 3D scrolling interface, etc...)

I've had a few, but they're been nothing but basicly petty reskins.
I tried Vista before, Aero just doesn't make up for all the practical shortcomings vs xp. I'd wait at the very least a year before upgrading. Heck my 2nd box still has win2k installed and I love it.
Maid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2007, 10:30 AM   #48
jg970459
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to jg970459

Wow and I almost spent $1000 on a new windows vista computer :O glad i checked here before i did
jg970459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2007, 10:31 AM   #49
FishFishRevolution
GotR Creator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to FishFishRevolution Send a message via Yahoo to FishFishRevolution Send a message via Skype™ to FishFishRevolution

I would just like to mention how many fingers get pointed at Mac Users for being incompetent with computers, yet it's the vast majority of the PC userbase that can't even install their own next-generation operating system.
Old 03-6-2007, 10:59 AM   #50
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164

And look how many people were calling Windows Me "Mostly errors" when they were trying to use Windows 98 drivers on a system that was more stable than Windows 98.

It just needs time. I wouldn't upgrade an XP right now, and upgrades are too buggy no matter how stable the OS is.

PROUD OWNER OF TWO OMEGA FAVORS. YEAH, NICE TRY.
Giant NES Controller (4 FEET) progress: PAINT IS DONE!
Download my Wii Music Suite v1.0, and PM me with your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
My mind says "GOGOGOG" and my hands go "wut no scru u ***"
nforcer06164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2007, 01:24 PM   #51
g4z33b0
Banned

Digital, I'm not trying to start an argument, just saying that Vista is a bad OS and it shouldn't be put in "all" computers that are being produced. I am only 15, yes but I've been building and selling computers for years (me and my friend's ebay store - http://stores.ebay.com/CJLEI-Computers), so I do have a bit more knowledge then you would expect.

From what I've seen, any pre-built PC would cost more then $699 to even meet the minimums for Vista, and why would you spend $699 to meet the minimum for an OS when you can spend $699 and get recomended for XP?

And I wouldnt go as far as to say Vista is "a user friendly OS", seeing as you have to approve or deny almost every action/process...

Also, I'm with Tibs. Download the skins... The main improvments I see in Vista are the skins and the visual Alt+Tab. They are extraneous, but they look nice. (I have OSX skins on my XP desktop )

Vista FTL. End of story. Use 98, 2000, or XP.
Old 03-6-2007, 01:45 PM   #52
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4z33b0 View Post
And I wouldnt go as far as to say Vista is "a user friendly OS", seeing as you have to approve or deny almost every action/process...
Too bad the makers of the commerical that made fun of this conveniently ignored that it can be turned off?

Oh, and your store doesn't seem to exist.

PROUD OWNER OF TWO OMEGA FAVORS. YEAH, NICE TRY.
Giant NES Controller (4 FEET) progress: PAINT IS DONE!
Download my Wii Music Suite v1.0, and PM me with your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
My mind says "GOGOGOG" and my hands go "wut no scru u ***"
nforcer06164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2007, 01:48 PM   #53
DiGiTaLSeraph
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4z33b0 View Post
Digital, I'm not trying to start an argument, just saying that Vista is a bad OS and it shouldn't be put in "all" computers that are being produced. I am only 15, yes but I've been building and selling computers for years (me and my friend's ebay store - http://stores.ebay.com/CJLEI-Computers), so I do have a bit more knowledge then you would expect.

From what I've seen, any pre-built PC would cost more then $699 to even meet the minimums for Vista, and why would you spend $699 to meet the minimum for an OS when you can spend $699 and get recomended for XP?

Also, I'm with Tibs. Download the skins... The main improvments I see in Vista are the skins and the visual Alt+Tab. They are extraneous, but they look nice. (I have OSX skins on my XP desktop )

Vista FTL. End of story. Use 98, 2000, or XP.
Sorry but your sources are either falsely misguided or lieing. We've even got ACERS with Vista pre-installed, that are selling for that price.

Quote:
You're trying to pick at one minor detail from my post. Stop it.

Windows is often prized to be very user friendly as an operating system. Try selling a computer to a grandmother that's running on Linux and you'll see what I mean... Not only that...But you can switch that option off, kiddo.

EDIT: Also nforcer, you're right. There hasn't even been an SP1 released yet on Vista- Given time I'm sure that it will become well recieved... But as for now, I claim MARKETING PLOY.

Last edited by DiGiTaLSeraph; 03-6-2007 at 01:52 PM..
Old 03-6-2007, 01:56 PM   #54
RandomPscho
FFR Player

Quote:
From what I've seen, any pre-built PC would cost more then $699 to even meet the minimums for Vista, and why would you spend $699 to meet the minimum for an OS when you can spend $699 and get recommended for XP?
The computer I bought about 2.5 years ago was able to run vista with a full aero and it only had 512MB RAM and integrated graphics. It can be run on cheap hardware, it just makes it look like **** because of the integrated graphics that all low-end computers come with, so most manufacturers won't put it on. It can be run though.
EDIT: I mean Hgome Prmeium in the above, Basic runs on Dell's 350$ computers.

Quote:
For one you can simply turn it off. All those requests are from poor software, not because of Vista. Most of the request are for registry edits/ startup edits etc., which are unneeded and cause a lot of the problem on XP. Sure it is annoying but it will force software vendors to create more self-contained software and prevent a lot of problems. I see the UAC as a benefit over the little annoying-ness in the beginning.
RandomPscho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2007, 04:49 PM   #55
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Regarding asking for things:

It asked me every time I ran MapleStory twice. The first time was to say "There are known compatibility issues with this program. Are you sure you want to run it?" And the second time was to say "This is a .exe file and it may contain a virus. Did you initiate this action?"

I'm sure it can be turned off, but there is no reason for it to be so intrusive in the first place.
Old 03-6-2007, 05:14 PM   #56
Kekiz
FFR Player

Lets all downgrade to windows 98 because its really stable and uses hardly any memory to run explorer.
Kekiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2007, 05:19 PM   #57
RandomPscho
FFR Player

Quote:
I'm sure it can be turned off, but there is no reason for it to be so intrusive in the first place.
It is the programs that are intrusive in the OS, thats the problem The program probably edits the registry, saves configuration in the registry etc. which is what causes those prompts. Within a year most new software [from good companies] will just ask when you install, otherwise it won't bother you.

Last edited by RandomPscho; 03-6-2007 at 05:45 PM..
Old 03-6-2007, 06:38 PM   #58
Kenzya
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kenzya

Yeah it's a shame a computer isn't setup for me when I first turn it on.

The only reason I'm not using Vista is because of driver support. My Xbox controller doesn't work with Vista. All my games run slower due to lack of any good Vista drivers from Nvidia. All my other programs ran fine.

Otherwise I enjoyed the operating system. Indexed files makes searching a breeze. But seriously, there is nothing really wrong with the OS. Windows Vista is fully use-able. No system crashes of any sort.. no sudden stopping of programs. I just need companies to come out with Vista optimized shit.
Kenzya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2007, 06:45 PM   #59
RandomPscho
FFR Player

Most of the people that sya it's terrible haven't actually used it yet .
Old 03-6-2007, 07:24 PM   #60
YoEr13
FFR Player

Vista isn't worth it if you are a gamer. If you want a good OS either stick with XP or get Linux. However, if you get Linux and don't know what you're doing then you have just wasted money. Back on Vista, the only good thing coming out of it is DirectX 10, so it is highly suggested you get Vista after Service Pack 2 (If they follow up with the tradition). Basically Vista will be good in a while. Until then it's not worth anything.
YoEr13 is offline   Reply With Quote