Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking > Homework & Help
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-1-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
Seefu Sefirosu
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Seefu Sefirosu
Default [High School - AP English]

I'm currently signed up for AP English Literature and Composition. It will be an online course, because we don't have eight people signed up (just me, I think). There is an AP English Language and Composition, but I was told it was completely non-fiction reading and writing.

Could anyone provide the general curriculum for AP Lit?

i.e., I don't care if you dunno the novels I'd be going over but just like, would I be writing essays everyday or what?

I'm only asking H&GI because no one at my school could give me a straight answer.
Seefu Sefirosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-1-2008, 11:15 PM   #2
reptile3141
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: [High School - AP English]

I WAS IN AP LIT! It sucked! BIG TIME! EWWWWWWWWWW!
-_________-

However, this was because I am not a fan of poetry analysis. In my AP Lit. class, nearly 80% of the class was in depth poetry analysis and then writting essays about them (over literary devices such as syntax, irony, paradox, etc.). You see, AP English was sooo much different than Honors. I don't necessarily mean harder....just really different. Honors English focuses more on different literary movements, how they developed (and in some cases died), author backgrounds, etc. I loved Honors English, but AP English was definitely my least favorite subject I ever took. Still, if you're the kind of person that likes poetry and in depth analysis of things, I'd say go for it. Hope everything works out for ya, man.

Last edited by reptile3141; 07-1-2008 at 11:51 PM..
reptile3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-1-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
Megmo
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I went to one of the finest high schools in the nation and most people took AP classes, especially English Lit and Language, but honestly it's not that scary. I took Language my junior year and Lit my senior year. What reptile said above is pretty true about Lit. You write a lot of papers and mostly analyze poetry. I honestly thought it was one of the easiest AP classes but it depends on the teacher, too. It costs a buttload of money to take AP exams (unless you live in Texas where it's free -_- ), but if you know what colleges you're considering you should definitely see if they will offer you AP credit for doing well on the exam! Otherwise I'd say you're wasting your time unless you're really trying to make your college application to a competitive school look good.
Old 07-1-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
FRO
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

AP Lit & Lang is full of analyzing literature - much of which is uninteresting to begin with - and to a great extent squeezing every drop of meaning out of it in addition to writing with a bunch of literary jargon

Needless to say I didn't enjoy the class very much

FRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-2-2008, 12:57 AM   #5
Terry316
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Terry316

i think it mostly depends on the teacher. i know my AP english class is gonna be freakin awesome just cause of the teacher.
Terry316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-2-2008, 01:16 AM   #6
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Take AP Language and Composition. It involves far more useful and appropriate analysis of literature and language, you'll read far more interesting pieces, and it'll be highly applicable.

AP Lit will consist of mostly poetry interpretation. Unless you really like doing that, it's not going to serve much purpose. And if it's going to be an online course, 100% don't take it. Seriously, that's not something you can just read about; online AP Lit sounds like a terrible, terrible idea.

I took both in high school, and even though I've always disliked literature and the analysis of it, I'm glad I took them both. Moreso Language than Literature, though, despite having a much better teacher for the latter.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-2-2008, 11:26 AM   #7
Seefu Sefirosu
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Seefu Sefirosu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter View Post
Take AP Language and Composition. It involves far more useful and appropriate analysis of literature and language, you'll read far more interesting pieces, and it'll be highly applicable.

AP Lit will consist of mostly poetry interpretation. Unless you really like doing that, it's not going to serve much purpose. And if it's going to be an online course, 100% don't take it. Seriously, that's not something you can just read about; online AP Lit sounds like a terrible, terrible idea.

I took both in high school, and even though I've always disliked literature and the analysis of it, I'm glad I took them both. Moreso Language than Literature, though, despite having a much better teacher for the latter.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

You don't understand how much I HATE writing. I just heard there won't be as much writing in Lit, and that's good. If I took Lang, I would have to take it with the same teach that I took Hon. Eng. III with...

I hated her and she hated my writing.

Understand that it's just the physical process of writing that I hate, because it's barely legible, and I just dislike it. If we were allowed to type everything, I'd be fine.
Seefu Sefirosu is offline   Reply With Quote