Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 08:21 PM   #121
Sh4d0wRe4p3r666
FFR Player

Default Re: Rap Music Bad Influence On Kids?

Well that's one. I forgot about that one, I better go delete it.
Sh4d0wRe4p3r666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:21 PM   #122
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4d0wRe4p3r666 View Post
At least I'm not postwhoring with those words. I do say that in a different way and then explain what I meen.
You posted to suggest a poll that asks people to directly break the rules of the CT forum by simply saying "I agree" or "I disagree"

You quoted people's exact text and added only "That's a good point"

You may not be postwhoring, but you definately aren't posting appropriately for CT.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #123
Sh4d0wRe4p3r666
FFR Player

After I say ''That's a good point'' I explain myself.
Sh4d0wRe4p3r666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:46 PM   #124
Verruckter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Verruckter Send a message via MSN to Verruckter

Quote:
Why? Do you hate me? Do you want me to leave?
No, you're just being stupid. Half your posts don't make sense, sometimes you sound like a child and the rest of the time you post useless stuff.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:46 PM   #125
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Quote:
After I say ''That's a good point'' I explain myself.
I really don't like devolving to this kind of comparatively juvenile behavior, but I guess to make my point abundantly clear, I have to do it. Please see below, 15 of your previous posts in this thread. I know several contained quoted text you were responding to, but even so, this communicates what we mean:

Code:
post #61 "It's a really bad influence, I say get an I.D. for advisories on rap." 
post #72 "See there is an example, now do people believe me?"
post #74 "No, what I said was true."
post #76 "How do you know he's right? How do you know I'm right? I don't know, but again why do I either bother posting?"
post #78 "No, they are singing, and they have messed up the minds of children."
post #80 "I never heard that before, you sure?"
post #83 "I listen to metal, I headbang a lot."
post #87 "Well for some people, rap changes your personality."
post #89 "Yes, I know, the artist doesn't care what he says, he cares about his money."
post #93 "Did you read my post? I said some rap talks about that stuff."
post #101 "Take an English class."
post #104 "Both of you have very good points, I'd never thought so many kids would do that."
post #112 "Why doesn't a person make a poll to see if rap is a bad influence instead of us keep posting our opinions?"
post #117 "Why? Do you hate me? Do you want me to leave?"
post #119 "At least I'm not postwhoring with those words. I do say that in a different way and then explain what I meen."
Now can we please get some sort of moderative purge of the nonsense, to try and at least pretend that we can stay on topic for more than a page at a time?
Old 05-21-2007, 09:02 PM   #126
MRTL_mrclean17
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to MRTL_mrclean17

Wow, I can't believe so many people have a hard time getting over the fact that critical thinking requires, well... Critical thinking.

I remembered something from way back in 1995, I saw a commercial advertising old school 80's rap, and I thought, as annoying and as corny as that music was, there was no way a kid could get messed up by listening to it.
http://music.download.com/3608-8536-...l?orderby=name
I haven't listened to all of the bands that were brought up in the search, but I'm pretty sure most of it isn't as violent or sexual (or in some cases violently sexual) as some of the new crap that is coming out. So is the genre itself to blame? Perhaps not, but the artist? Emphatic yes.

Last edited by MRTL_mrclean17; 05-21-2007 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: arghhhhhhhh....................
MRTL_mrclean17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:37 PM   #127
slipstrike0159
FFR Player

Location: In the shadows behind you with my assassin's blade waiting to strike
Send a message via MSN to slipstrike0159

Oh goodness... here too Sh4d0wRe4p3r666? Every place i go i find you posting nonsense. Although logical thought may be low on everyones priority list in the other parts of the forum it is ranked really high here. P.S. - Yes, everyone knows you love metal and take pride in saying you are a metal head, now stop.

Back on subject, IMO i think the rap genre has sort of leveled off as far as the explicit lyrics go. As far as i'm aware, the lyrics are about as worse as they can get and i think that eventually the intensity will decrease because the explicit lyrics will become redundant. However, not all rap music has horrible lyrics promoting otherwise illegal activities (as i am sure has already been mentioned.) Once the industry realizes that more profit is to be made with a simple change in morals, they will tone it down a bit.

As far as influence on children i think it doesnt make TOO MUCH of a difference anymore. Like i said, IMO things have gotten as worse as they can get and regardless of whether or not the genre of rap reigns supreme, children will still be exposed to the same type of messages one way or the other in this modern world. Of course, most rap doesnt help this problem.

It really just saddens me to see how a new modern style of singing has turned into a horrible expression of words. People like Mike Shanoda (while not the best rapper) should be praised for trying to give more meaningful messages through song.

slipstrike0159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:14 PM   #128
MRTL_mrclean17
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to MRTL_mrclean17

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstrike0159 View Post
Oh goodness... here too Sh4d0wRe4p3r666? Every place i go i find you posting nonsense. Although logical thought may be low on everyones priority list in the other parts of the forum it is ranked really high here. P.S. - Yes, everyone knows you love metal and take pride in saying you are a metal head, now stop.

Back on subject, IMO i think the rap genre has sort of leveled off as far as the explicit lyrics go. As far as i'm aware, the lyrics are about as worse as they can get and i think that eventually the intensity will decrease because the explicit lyrics will become redundant. However, not all rap music has horrible lyrics promoting otherwise illegal activities (as i am sure has already been mentioned.) Once the industry realizes that more profit is to be made with a simple change in morals, they will tone it down a bit.

As far as influence on children i think it doesnt make TOO MUCH of a difference anymore. Like i said, IMO things have gotten as worse as they can get and regardless of whether or not the genre of rap reigns supreme, children will still be exposed to the same type of messages one way or the other in this modern world. Of course, most rap doesnt help this problem.

It really just saddens me to see how a new modern style of singing has turned into a horrible expression of words. People like Mike Shanoda (while not the best rapper) should be praised for trying to give more meaningful messages through song.
Since I am an ass, I must remind you to capitalize your I's.
Shadow Reaper (I hate "1337" typing) wasn't exactly posting nonsense, he/she was just post-whoring without realizing it. People just need to read the stickies more often before posting in a new forum.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:21 AM   #129
Dc-xBluex
FAWKNGUITARHERO!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Dc-xBluex

Correction, MOST Rap songs do not have bad lyrics, (not flaming or anything) But most people dont really understand the difference in music in the HipHop culture. Gangster rap features tons of explicit content. There are tons of Rap artist who influence positive hiphop. I do think Gangster rap has some negetive effect on the youth, because it makes them want to be "ballers" or "pimps" or gang banging for totally stupid reasons and such.

I could go more in depth with this but i wont unless anyone wants me to express my opinions a little more. I've realized that lacking in certain amounts of postings makes you "unworthy" so to speak of people time and attention.

Last edited by Dc-xBluex; 05-22-2007 at 01:23 AM..
Dc-xBluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:32 AM   #130
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Quote:
I could go more in depth with this but i wont unless anyone wants me to express my opinions a little more. I've realized that lacking in certain amounts of postings makes you "unworthy" so to speak of people time and attention.
Quite the contrary. In Critical Thinking, -not- expressing your opinions fully, citing examples and evidence as you go is what makes you "unworthy" of people's time and attention.

Coming into CT 1st post ever, and having something useful, reasoned and well-thought out to say is far preferable to thinking you have to wait until you've posted 100 times before you are somehow "allowed" to say anything important.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:40 AM   #131
Dc-xBluex
FAWKNGUITARHERO!
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
Quite the contrary. In Critical Thinking, -not- expressing your opinions fully, citing examples and evidence as you go is what makes you "unworthy" of people's time and attention.

Coming into CT 1st post ever, and having something useful, reasoned and well-thought out to say is far preferable to thinking you have to wait until you've posted 100 times before you are somehow "allowed" to say anything important.
Yeah i understand that, but i was just bringing bull**** from another thread i was in. And who is to say somones opinion isnt critial thinking. Youve got to think about it and know what your talking about before you can have a REAL opinion about something anyways.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:42 AM   #132
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Yes, but this isn't the "State your opinion" forum, this is the "Critical Thinking" forum. So "I think such and such is good" doesn't cut it, you need to explain why, in clear logical terms.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:46 AM   #133
Dc-xBluex
FAWKNGUITARHERO!
FFR Veteran

Btw...

"I could go more in depth with this but i wont unless anyone wants me to express my opinions"

My critical thinking was done before that.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:08 AM   #134
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Just assume that everyone here wants to hear everything you have to say and post it. This "I can't be bothered to waste my time unless I'm personally addressed" crap doesn't fly, here.

Nor does bringing crap from another thread.

Discuss the topic or don't post.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2007, 05:09 PM   #135
njstl5
FFR Player

Rap music in most peoples eyes is seen as bad and that there is nothing to it; there is more to it than meets the ear. Most people that don't like the music only listens to the parts of the songs which are bad or only the songs that are bad. I do see where people that don't like rap music are coming from. Everybody has their personal opinion though. All music can be seen as bad influence to kids now in days. Why do we have music if it is bad. It's anothe form of entertainment, thats why. They don't listen to hip hop or normal rap it seems like. Gangsta rap is like 50 cent, Snoop Dogg, The Game, Master P, T.I., Trick Daddy, DJ Khaled, DJ felli fell, Tony Yayo, Hurricane Chris, and more. In the normal rap or not gangsta rap where they talk about positive things and love and other great things are great singers and very creative people. The singers that talk about good things and stick up for great things are Nelly, Eminem, Bobby Valentino, Chris Brown, and more, some of those people sing rap, hip hop, and R&B. Not all rap songs are a bad influence on kids. A lot of songs are very good and very creative. it can teach kids how to be creative. they taught me how to be creative, picked me up when i felt down and makes me feel great when i feel bad. if they are not creatvie than how did they get this far. If everybody on this site has time to be typing than are you creative. The singers in all these songs are a lot more creative than everybody on this site and more.
njstl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2007, 09:21 PM   #136
uselessaccount
FFR Player

Well first of all you brought back a overused topic from way long ago. Also Hurricane Chris is not Gangsta Rap. And the majority of Nelly, Eminem, Bobby Valentino, and even a lot of Chris Brown's songs portray negative messages for kids like sex and for Eminem a various spectrum of things. That's not to say it isn't good music, it's just that it might be going a bit to far to say that kids are nourished by it.

I see where your going about the creative thing too and it's quite valid. Also, on the downside, many people just follow the example of the artist or try to mimic their lifestyle rather than find their own person through the music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lain_Iwakura View Post
dynamo happens
just like aids
uselessaccount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2007, 09:39 PM   #137
arsonistsgetallthegirls
FFR Player

Of course rap music is a bad influence on kids... In fact, any song, game, movie, book, ect, dealing with an "inappropriate" subject matter will be viewed by some as a bad influence on kids. There is no question that children are more sensitive at an impressionable age... The question is, to what extent does it actually become significant enough to affect the child's sense of what's wrong and right?

Hmm, actually, the world has basically proved otherwise huh...
Some kids NEED to wake the **** up.

[Trust me, This user is your friend.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeron View Post
Holy ****, civility in the forums?! My head just asploded.
Wait, What?
arsonistsgetallthegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2007, 09:58 PM   #138
Sullyman2007
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Sullyman2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolade123 View Post
Is rap music a bad influence on kids these days? I, personally, disagree with that, I wouldn't listen/do what the lyrics say in those songs. Of course most rap songs have some "bad" lyrics but I don't think most kids would necessarily do what they say.

Discuss.
I never really cared for rap. The lyrics are generally very explicit, and it normally expresses bad situations, but that dosent mean it IS bad, thats just my opinion.
SOME rap is quite good. It comes from the heart and soul, and its a creative way of expressing ones thought through music.
Some of it is complete garbage. Especially alot of the stuff these days. I wouldnt even call some of it "music". It dosent have a rhyme scheme, and probably repeats the same thing over and over again, with no meaning intended.
I think alot of rap, especially in todays age, is a bad influence. Not just on kids and teens, but adults as well. I hope I dont sound to biased...

Its the same thing with Rock to. Three words: Sex, Drugs, and Rock&Roll.

Last edited by Sullyman2007; 12-4-2007 at 10:21 PM..
Sullyman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-5-2007, 07:07 AM   #139
rzr
TWG Veteran

Send a message via AIM to rzr Send a message via MSN to rzr Send a message via Yahoo to rzr Send a message via Skype™ to rzr

Though I am a rock fan (sully) I agree with you. "is hell just a place I call home?"
That's a fantastic quote from but a mere rap song. The expression of the music and way it's presented does not contradict its meaning. It does diminish it, but as we are all intelligent men and women here we should be able to read between the lines of even horendous rap scenerios and see the good in it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
Everyone sucks at this game. The second you think you're good is the second you stop trying to get better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
i had a mri the other day it was the best song i heard in years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite-
More of a joke than the time I deleted all the credits on the site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
yeah my goldfish think im a riot they do this thing where they turn upside down and float to the top of the tank

i guess their alcohol tolerance isnt as high as mine
rzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-5-2007, 09:49 AM   #140
g4z33b0
Banned

Send a message via AIM to g4z33b0

I find it hard to unterstand the logic behind claiming that an entire genre of music, minus "a few songs" or "some rap", is a bad influence on kids. Rap is music, and although quite a few songs may be considered bad influences, you have to look past the commercialized few and consider the fact that there are thousands of rap artists out there who aren't spreading messages that could be considered negative. To call rap music a bad influence on kids is quite an ignorant opinion.
g4z33b0 is offline   Reply With Quote