Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 10:44 AM   #381
vifs
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to vifs Send a message via MSN to vifs Send a message via Yahoo to vifs
Default Re: God.

Romens used to make up gods for anything can't explain, I find it funny that some people think thats silly when they believe in god b/c they can't explain how the universe started.

Quick question: How is making up gods for everything you can't explain different from believing in god because you can't explain the universe?

vifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:19 AM   #382
purebloodtexan
FFR Player

Location: In front of the speakers, banging my head until I get a nosebleed.
Send a message via AIM to purebloodtexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vifs View Post
Romens used to make up gods for anything can't explain, I find it funny that some people think thats silly when they believe in god b/c they can't explain how the universe started.

Quick question: How is making up gods for everything you can't explain different from believing in god because you can't explain the universe?
There is no difference, really. One makes up a God -> Others follow -> Rules of worship are written -> You have yourself a religion.

By the way, who are these people that are criticizing the Romans? They were no closer to discovering the universe than any other society was at that point.

purebloodtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:57 PM   #383
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:

God created the Universe != There is an individual God controlling each individual aspect of existance.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:12 PM   #384
vifs
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to vifs Send a message via MSN to vifs Send a message via Yahoo to vifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
God created the Universe != There is an individual God controlling each individual aspect of existance.
Well yah duh, but thats not what i mean, what i meant was people who believe in god are pretty much the same as the Romens who believed there was a god for everything they couldn't explain.

If you can't explain something that doesn't automatically create some higher being that caused it to happen.

p.s. i don't mean to dis on Romens im just using them as a example

Old 08-17-2007, 02:26 PM   #385
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Quote:
Well yah duh, but thats not what i mean, what i meant was people who believe in god are pretty much the same as the Romens who believed there was a god for everything they couldn't explain.
I disagree completely. Go talk to some well-educated christians some time, see if you can find one who practices apologetics, and you'll find that plenty of christians feel they have ample evidence to justify a belief in God. It has very little to do with "I can't explain it, therefore God"

Quote:
If you can't explain something that doesn't automatically create some higher being that caused it to happen.
To many people (Billions, a majority of the world even) it isn't "I can't explain, therefore invent God" it is "God, therefore the thing is explained"

Quote:
p.s. i don't mean to dis on Romens im just using them as a example
Using a polytheistic religion as a vehicle to make statements about a monotheistic religion isn't a very good idea in the first place. But picking a polytheistic religion with anthropomorphic deites as a vehicle to make a statement about a monotheistic religion with a non-anthropomorphic deity is even worse.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:40 PM   #386
vifs
FFR Player

Ok Devonin I understand what your saying. But what I mean to say is that in my option I don't see the point in believing in god simply because you can't explain life. Now as you said there are people who believe they have proved there is a god, and I can understand that. But whenever I ask someone why do they believe in god there answer is usually: "well there is no other way to explain life so there must be a god". I can't understand that, but thats just my opinion.

Last edited by vifs; 08-17-2007 at 03:49 PM..
Old 08-17-2007, 03:45 PM   #387
purebloodtexan
FFR Player

Location: In front of the speakers, banging my head until I get a nosebleed.
Send a message via AIM to purebloodtexan

Quote:
Ok Devonin I understand what your saying. But what I mean to say is that in my option I don't see the point in believing in god simply because you can't explain life. Now as you said there are people who believe they have proved there is a god, and I can understand that. But whenever I ask someone why do they believe in god there answer is usually: "well there is no other way to explain life so there must be a god". I can't understand that, but thats just my option.
It's opinion, but moving on...

Anyway, that's basically it: Religion explains what is considered unnatural (Creationism, miracles, etc.), at one point established [and still establishes] control over communities across the world, and gives people hope for a better life after death.

purebloodtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:27 PM   #388
Coolgamer
Old-School Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Coolgamer Send a message via MSN to Coolgamer Send a message via Skype™ to Coolgamer

I believe in the artificial god created to control the peasants while royalty ruled over them. I believe in a god that claims to love everyone then attacks the homosexuals he himself created, allows slavery, punishes women, and kills his own son to show us that he "forgives" us. I believe in a god that has been the indirect cause of countless wars and deaths, and whose supporters feel they have the right to force everyone to bend to his rules. I believe that a true rational look shows that there is less to believe in then most people think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight View Post
St1cky only proves that he has no life and that his parents are alcoholics. They probably abused him with rubber duckies when he was a baby. Why else would you exploit scores on FFR?
Coolgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:45 PM   #389
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolgamer View Post
I believe in the artificial god created to control the peasants while royalty ruled over them. I believe in a god that claims to love everyone then attacks the homosexuals he himself created, allows slavery, punishes women, and kills his own son to show us that he "forgives" us. I believe in a god that has been the indirect cause of countless wars and deaths, and whose supporters feel they have the right to force everyone to bend to his rules. I believe that a true rational look shows that there is less to believe in then most people think.
God creates humans. God gives them free will. To then blame God for the inappropriate use of that free will is absurd.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:15 PM   #390
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Quote:
I believe that a true rational look shows that there is less to believe in then most people think.
And, judging by your almost nonexistent knowledge of Christianity, you haven't even given God one of those.

Quote:
a god that claims to love everyone then attacks the homosexuals he himself created
Do tell how God "attacks" homosexuals.

Quote:
allows slavery, punishes women
Or any of these.

Quote:
and kills his own son to show us that he "forgives" us.
Then tell me (since you claim to have taken a "true rational look" at God and what he stands for), why your extensive (but I'll accept a little more than minimal) scriptural knowledge suggests that God was some sort of murderer in this situation, and didn't actually forgive our sins.

God did it for the lulz, mirite?

See what I'm doing, here? I'm giving a "true rational look" at your statements. Your claims are wholly fabricated and devoid of critical thought.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:24 PM   #391
KH Luxord
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to KH Luxord

God is the holder of all power in our lives. He gave us our free will. If you blame him for free will, then you probably are not grateful for him letting us do what we want.

Most Recent AAA: Snowflakes
Most Recent FC: Party 4 U v3
Best FC: The Brain of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasselfoot View Post
I will come to your house and take a crap on your pillow if you submit an hour long song to me.
KH Luxord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:37 PM   #392
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

God is not the holder of any power in our lives, that is, in fact exactly the point.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:49 PM   #393
tobi14
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tobi14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH Luxord View Post
God is the holder of all power in our lives. He gave us our free will. If you blame him for free will, then you probably are not grateful for him letting us do what we want.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if god held all the power in our lives, wouldn't that mean we DON'T have free will?
tobi14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:22 AM   #394
Coolgamer
Old-School Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Coolgamer Send a message via MSN to Coolgamer Send a message via Skype™ to Coolgamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter View Post
And, judging by your almost nonexistent knowledge of Christianity, you haven't even given God one of those.

Do tell how God "attacks" homosexuals.

Genesis 19.
Leviticus 18:22
Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Or any of these.

Then tell me (since you claim to have taken a "true rational look" at God and what he stands for), why your extensive (but I'll accept a little more than minimal) scriptural knowledge suggests that God was some sort of murderer in this situation, and didn't actually forgive our sins.

God did it for the lulz, mirite?

See what I'm doing, here? I'm giving a "true rational look" at your statements. Your claims are wholly fabricated and devoid of critical thought.

--Guido

I'm tired. I'll post a detailed explanation of my religious insights later. Right now enjoy some bible passages.

Leviticus (12:1-5) Women are dirty and sinful after childbirth, so God prescribes rituals for their purification. If a boy is born, the mother is unclean for 7 days and must be purified for 33 days; if a girl is born, the mother is unclean for 14 days and be purified for 66 days. This is because, in the eyes of God, girls are twice as dirty as boys.

It's okay to beat your slaves; even if they die you won't be punished, just as long as they survive a day or two after the beating (see Ex.21:20-21). But avoid excessive damage to their eyes or teeth. Otherwise you may have to set them free. Oh well, it's a heck of a lot better than what would happen to you if you did it to a non-slave. (See verses 21:24-25)

If a thief is caught and is too poor to make a complete restitution, then he is to be sold to pay for his theft.

If a thief ... have nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft. Ex.22:2-3

1 Samuel 15:2-3
Thus saith the LORD of hosts ... go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass. <- Genocide.

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? ... Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord." -- 2 Cor.6:14-17

"If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you ... Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die." -- Dt.13:6-10

And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive? ... Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves. -- Numbers 31:15-18 <-- Condoned rape and genocide.

If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days. -- Deuteronomy 22:28-29

If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property. Exodus 21:20-21

Luke 14:26
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children,and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. -- Exodus 31:15

For Rape Victims who don't cry out loudly enough

If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her; Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city; and the man, because he hath humbled his neighbour's wife: so thou shalt put away evil from among you. -- Deuteronomy 22:23-24

The Lord is a man of war. Exodus 15:3

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. Matthew 10:34

Lev.21:17-23
Whosoever ... hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God. For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken; No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the LORD made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God. ... Only he shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries.

Quote:
St1cky only proves that he has no life and that his parents are alcoholics. They probably abused him with rubber duckies when he was a baby. Why else would you exploit scores on FFR?
Old 08-18-2007, 03:26 AM   #395
Coolgamer
Old-School Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
God creates humans. God gives them free will. To then blame God for the inappropriate use of that free will is absurd.
And most of those actions I gave examples of were promoted or "committed" by God. King James also edited the Bible to suit his own need to control the populace.

Quote:
Old 08-18-2007, 03:39 AM   #396
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Dude, use quote tags in your posts; I was having trouble swimming through that wall of text and finding which words were yours and where your words stopped.

Quote:
Genesis 19.
Leviticus 18:22
Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Or any of these.
Here he's declaring homosexual acts to be a sin, not attacking homosexuals by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote:
Lots of Old Testament quotes
Wait a minute, are you really characterizing Christianity by laws that they were never intended to follow? The Mosaic law was for the Jews alone. Now, if you're not specifically targeting Christianity, then I'm afraid I don't know enough about Judaism to properly explain their Law.

What I do know is that from a Christian perspective, not one of those things you listed is condoned by God.

As for quotes like this:
Quote:
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. Matthew 10:34
Context is your friend.

--Guido

Quote:
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #397
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Quote:
And most of those actions I gave examples of were promoted or "committed" by God. King James also edited the Bible to suit his own need to control the populace.
In order for those acts to be promoted by God, you'll have to provide me proof that God directly -told- the people who carried out those wars that they were to do so.

What you said was:
Quote:
I believe in a god that has been the indirect cause of countless wars and deaths, and whose supporters feel they have the right to force everyone to bend to his rules.
Where to begin...

Indirect Cause is not the phrase you want to use. You mean "Used as a justification for" and as any reasonable christian will tell you, anyone who has "used christianity as a justification for killing" seems to have missed the big four words engraved on a block of stone that say "Thou Shalt Not Kill"

The supporters who feel that the doctrine gives them the right to force other people to "bend to the rules" are simply bad christians who don't understand the doctrines at all. God gives man free will. If you elect to use that free will to try and force other people to do something, you are certainly able to do that, but just because someone -says- "I'm allowed by God to do this" doesn't mean they are.

Last edited by devonin; 08-18-2007 at 12:10 PM..
Old 08-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #398
Kilroy_x
Little Chief Hare
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Kilroy_x

Quote:
God is not the holder of any power in our lives, that is, in fact exactly the point.
Then God is not All Powerful
Kilroy_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #399
Coolgamer
Old-School Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
In order for those acts to be promoted by God, you'll have to provide me proof that God directly -told- the people who carried out those wars that they were to do so.

What you said was:
Where to begin...

Indirect Cause is not the phrase you want to use. You mean "Used as a justification for" and as any reasonable christian will tell you, anyone who has "used christianity as a justification for killing" seems to have missed the big four words engraved on a block of stone that say "Thou Shalt Not Kill"

The supporters who feel that the doctrine gives them the right to force other people to "bend to the rules" are simply bad christians who don't understand the doctrines at all. God gives man free will. If you elect to use that free will to try and force other people to do something, you are certainly able to do that, but just because someone -says- "I'm allowed by God to do this" doesn't mean they are.
Your own Holy Book says that all of this was done ON GOD'S ORDERS. Moses himself said god ordered a genocide that permitted him to kill a whole town and rape the virgins inside. And yet people claim they can't understand the Middle-East, their Holy Wars, and why they kill over religion. Christianity and Catholicism both have promoted, depending on the times, rape, murder, incest, killing for conquest, capital punishment, and a general lack of free will. According to the bible, if you grow up in, say, Japan, and never learn of Jesus or the "true god", you are still condemned to hell.

All babies that were not baptized were declared to be hell bound until a decree was made by the pope decades ago that they merely entered purgatory for a waiting period.

I have studied the Bible, and to a lesser extent the Koran and Torah. I feel safe in saying that all were man-made inventions designed to control and suppress.

Quote:
Old 08-19-2007, 01:23 PM   #400
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy_X
Then God is not all powerful
Nope, sure isn't. And how anybody could consider that an all-powerful God was in any way compatible with a free willed humanity is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolgamer
Christianity and Catholicism both have promoted, depending on the times, rape, murder, incest, killing for conquest, capital punishment, and a general lack of free will.
Please prove that simply because the church has promoted these things, that God promotes these things, bearing in mind the concept of a free-willed humanity.