Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-2-2011, 01:22 AM   #81
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: I don't want to live on this planet anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
I guess we just have different expectations of the police- I've always thought that in any situation a policeman should be able to keep his wits about him. It's his job.
I guess I get this perspective because my brother was an officer for a while. And any time he was talking about a particularly shitty case he had to deal with he always talked about how hard it was to keep his cool, but he would mention how during training they CONSTANTLY drilled the fact he had to remain civil, and he would just have to mentally endure. Seeing what my brother went through (I'd like to think he was a "good cop") to stay calm in situations not unlike this protest makes me disappointed to see a high ranking officer lose his shit like we can see clearly in this video. Like I said, just different expectations- I don't necessarily disagree with anything you've said.

And Crashfan3's post on the previous page was really well thought out too.

Also I'm still amused by people who keep citing the "someone somewhere has it worse" argument, as if that magically makes what happened here acceptable.
They should, but we can say that about any job. Act like a dick to the waitresses/chefs, and you can be sure that it'll come back to haunt you at some point.

Not every cop out there is a good cop. Like most things, they come in distributions. I don't disagree with you on principle -- I just don't think it's a realistic expectation.

There are plenty of great cops out there, but some people slip through the cracks and become cops because they like to occasionally abuse power. There's no 100% perfect incentive process/system of due diligence... if this were true, there'd be nothing here to protest in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artic_counter View Post
Like a lot of people said; Just because someone as it worse doesn't make the thing in question more acceptable. Also, while I do agree about what Rubix said on the protest in itself, I do not think stress and emotions is enough of a reason to brutalize people.
Again, disclaimer: I'm not justifying police brutality. But as someone who saw the protest firsthand, I don't think the level of force used was unreasonable. Some of those protesters were *really* obnoxious and it doesn't surprise me that the chaos led to a few people getting clocked around/sprayed a bit. People would just not get it through their heads that they *were not allowed to block traffic* and that yes, they had a right to be on public property, but they were not really following the sort of guidelines you'd expect from a "peaceful protest." Policemen *should* be able to keep their cool, but what was happening was that being aggressively assertive was oftentimes not enough. Douchebag protestors would just push past the officers and go block traffic some more. Eventually they had to escalate the force a bit.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 10-2-2011 at 01:33 AM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-2-2011, 10:08 AM   #82
robertsona
missa in h-moll
FFR Simfile Author

i completely agree with the basis of that bottom paragraph, mr. rubix--if the only way to stop these protesters from blocking traffic or getting dangerously rowdy or whatever was to use the force displayed in the video (which, once again, i didn't watch), then that's fine--i assumed that all the anger was directed towards unprovoked police brutality (or, at least, major overreaction on the cops's part.)

that said, i still don't at all like the jist of "it's not a perfect world, there are bad cops out there," as if pointing out that we have an imperfect system is reason enough to let all those imperfections stand without getting involved in actively trying to fix them. "we'll always have bad cops" isn't really an excuse for police brutality

Last edited by robertsona; 10-2-2011 at 10:17 AM..
robertsona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-2-2011, 11:04 AM   #83
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

"The police were making unlawful arrests and turning an otherwise peaceful protest into a violent one"

This is how I see it too. The problem only escapates when police or protestors get up in each-others grill to do stuff.

The *best* way to get protestors 'dangerously rowdy' is to stop them from protesting, or stop them from doing innocuous things. Police and anyone who orders them to become physically aggressive first, or even block people from protesting, or tell people to not walk in the public streets, are the retards. Seriously, a little common sense...don't feed the fire.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-2-2011, 11:26 AM   #84
V-Ormix
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I guess at the end of the day, people forget that police are people too... though what they did wasn't right, who is to say there so terrible cause they didn't keep there "cool."
V-Ormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-2-2011, 11:27 AM   #85
Andrew Mitchell
Banned
FFR Veteran

ah its good to see that mine and everyone elses (unless you're a toff) natural instinct to hate the police is based on fact acab
Andrew Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-2-2011, 11:36 AM   #86
PaperclipGames
Mrow~
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to PaperclipGames Send a message via Skype™ to PaperclipGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Ormix View Post
I guess at the end of the day, people forget that police are people too... though what they did wasn't right, who is to say there so terrible cause they didn't keep there "cool."
They are trained to "keep their cool" and to make the right decision, which is where policemen are different from the rest.

948 AAAs | 1461 FCs | 549 TPs | 7 FMO AAAs
Skype: paperclipgames | Steam: alegiano | Last.fm: Alegiano | Ask.fm: Clippysan | Facebook: LINK
Best AAAs: Exciting Hyper Highspeed Star (69), Nous (69), Pure Ruby (68), Heavenly Spores (68), Ambient Angels (66), Within Life (66), Defection (66) Southern Cross (65)
PaperclipGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-2-2011, 04:05 PM   #87
~kitty~
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
"The police were making unlawful arrests and turning an otherwise peaceful protest into a violent one"

This is how I see it too. The problem only escapates when police or protestors get up in each-others grill to do stuff.

The *best* way to get protestors 'dangerously rowdy' is to stop them from protesting, or stop them from doing innocuous things. Police and anyone who orders them to become physically aggressive first, or even block people from protesting, or tell people to not walk in the public streets, are the retards. Seriously, a little common sense...don't feed the fire.
This post makes me think you think that the protesters are excused for their actions.
~kitty~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-2-2011, 06:01 PM   #88
fido123
FFR Player

Although far worse goes on in other countries it doesn't mean we're not allowed to be upset at stuff like this. I think crying though is really ridiculous and if you didn't know that this stuff happens even in North America you're living in a bubble. Libya's government was shooting people who weren't even protesting to "show them who's boss". Anyway I don't understand where people get off thinking the protesters are doing anything wrong or deserved it. Yeah, they'd probably piss the hell out of me personally especially after dealing with them day after day but if somebody pissed me off at my job and I physically assaulted them (even just pepper spray) I'd expect to get criminally charged and so should these police as if they were any other citizen since they're not above anybody else. Those officers responsible for that are unfit to do their job and assuming their actions weren't justified should receive whatever punishment anybody else would for their actions. I can understand their frustration but they went to fall and don't have the self-control to do their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Ormix View Post
the way I see it is, gathering a large crowd of people (who obviously aren't happy cause there protesting) is potential grounds for violence weather or not they mean to. so cops showing up to a public place to keep things under "control" was going to happen no matter what. and with video cameras about, I guess they feel they need to "do some thing" so that they could say "hey I am just doing my job." and though I agree they went maybe a bit far physically, with a huge crowd of protesters that look like there ready to start trouble at any moment maybe some of them felt it was first instinct...
"OH SHIT THERE ARE CAMERAS HERE BETTER LOOK LIKE I'M DOING SOMETHING"
*Pepper Spray/Physical Assault*

I think you have a TERRIBLY poor understanding of what an officers job is and what constitutes being assaulted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kitty~ View Post
This post makes me think you think that the protesters are excused for their actions.
Last time I checked being an assclown wasn't against the law. They weren't doing anything wrong. They were being annoying but weren't hurting anybody or damaging any property.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-2-2011, 06:18 PM   #89
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

If I'm working the counter at McDonalds and all the customers are being annoying as hell I don't have the right to assault one.

If I'm a police officer at a protest and all the protestors are being annoying as hell I don't have the right to assault one.

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-2-2011, 07:02 PM   #90
~kitty~
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido123 View Post

Last time I checked being an assclown wasn't against the law. They weren't doing anything wrong. They were being annoying but weren't hurting anybody or damaging any property.
I think you're misreading. I said that because Cavernio's post looks like the protesters weren't doing anything and this was a completely unprovoked attack, even though they have been blocking out traffic and to some degree they were causing problems. I'm not saying that macing them was an appropriate action, and I think you would see that clearly if you were reading my other posts as well, which I hope you were.
Old 10-2-2011, 07:10 PM   #91
fido123
FFR Player

Sorry, since this is 5 pages long I don't really take my time to read every post properly.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-2-2011, 11:02 PM   #92
Calcium Deposit
I am the liquor
FFR Music Producer

Sheeple are way too easily swayed by what they see on TV.
Remember that time everyone was afraid of SARS?
As it turns out, that disease has a less than 1% mortality rate for healthy individuals.
Police "brutality" is just this month's flavor of the month.
Oh and that applejuice scare was ****ing fantastic too.
Goddamn I hate the media
Calcium Deposit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2011, 01:13 AM   #93
virus003
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to virus003

Wow, this is ridiculous, but there's a few misunderstandings, possibly..?

I've read through the website, and it says that they're using the Arab Spring tactic, which is a very good way to do things without major violence, but there's these dumbasses with big ****in mouths that think they're entitled to their own shit like crazy, when really they're just becoming hot headed dicks who are becoming a threat to everyone around them, they need to learn self control before a peaceful protest that doesn't involve violence, that could have been a reasoning for a few arrests, but I doubt it was for OVER 500 of them. These officers probably felt threatened because of how many people were overwhelming them even though they weren't doing anything, just go in their situation, you'd probably shit your pants, they might have just overreacted when there shouldn't be any real danger in a protest like this. Funny though, because this police department is supposedly one of the best in the nation, maybe they're one of the best because of their clearly obvious brutal force. I think they're just abusing power, but that's just me.

Oh yeah and Reincarnate, just wondering, you republican or democrat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XUioX View Post
too hard and too long.. the rest of it was easy though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundb0x View Post
i still have photos of my dad dickfeeding me when i was like 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
stop back seat modding its annoying
virus003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2011, 02:36 AM   #94
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Disclosure: HUGE wall of text that I highly recommend reading. It's filled with some very strong emotional statements about 2 very large situations covered by this video. Just know, these are my personal feelings and opinions. I told them how I seen them.

About the cops.

I can, based on my biased opinion, assume that people are merely overreacting. Mind you, I'm not here to incite rage or discontent in people, I just want to share what I feel I'm interpreting from this whole scenario.

I watched the video thoroughly with the assumption that the protestors did nothing wrong. By my point of view, they didn't unless they were passively disturbing the peace, blocking traffic, or preventing businesses from operating. But I have to agree with a previous poster, at the end of the day, cops are people too. Mind you this comes with a lot of stipulations when you say a cop is human. It may seem brutal for the cops to have done what they did BUT, again as someone I'm sure already pointed out, had they not shown "some" force, things could have gotten out of hand. In large social situations like these, you can't expect everyone to have their head straight on their shoulders when they are protesting with others. If these people go unchecked, they could turn things violent. By the cops doing what they did, it COULD BE that very thing that prevented a large violent reaction due to the fear of arrest and prosecution because the cops were obviously serious about keeping order.

Another thing I want to point out, I do enjoy seeing the media chipping away at our government in any way they can. I enjoy it because it slowly brings more light to the majority about the governments' corruption, which there is, as much as some of you will want to deny it. But I want to say, this video in NOT how I want to see the media chip at the government. The collective police force of this nation is rather miraculous. Men and women serving the public with real intentions on safety, order, peace, and preserving liberty. This video and Lawrences analysis highlights the rather small, darker side of the police force. Videos like these make people think, for the most part, that all police forces are bad and corrupt. This is a blatant lie. Hell just where I live, the police are amazing. I know most of them in this town personally and I have never seen cops treat citizens so fair. They are polite, kind hearted, and what I love most is during large social events in our town, the cops really keep things safe and are really friendly about their business. Only time they show brute force is when someone goes haywire and turns a situation violent.

So this video is good for all the wrong reasons.

Back to my original statement. People are overreacting to this. Lawrence is overreacting, looking at the comments of youtubers, the majority are overreacting(which plays into people thinking all law enforcements are bad), and even some of you guys are overreacting. I don't defend these cops as I wasn't part of the event, nor do I condone their actions. There WERE better ways of handling the situation but how they handled the situation wasn't necessarily "bad" persay.

As for the protest and protestors.

I want to go on the record to say, I don't know the entire reasoning behind this protest, all I know is that it's against the corruption currently in our government.

I want to shred some feelings on the current situation on our government so take this all with a grain of salt, these are my personal experiences.

First off, living in America really is easy. There's not one part of this country that is hard to live in. If you want a good life, there's really only one solid, tried-and-true, proven, set-in-stone way of attaining a good life in America. WORK. All a man or woman has to do to survive and even provide themselves and their families a GOOD life is to work. I want to make this clear using myself as an example. People are always on the record moaning and crying about forclosures, about losing jobs, about all the things that went wrong that caused them to lose "everything." What isn't stated is what the people themselves did TO themselves that caused it. The majority of foreclosures in this nation were due to people ignorantly choosing adjustable rate mortgages. Do your research people, this is fact. What an adjustable rate mortgage means is that your mortgage interest rate can fluctuate with current local and national economies. The problem with these types of mortgages are that, back in 20xx people could sign for a house at x.x% with an adjustable rate. Back in the early 2000's these rates were low, and currently are low again. But when the big housing crisis hit, these rates evacuated all of their security and blew through the roof to try and re-establish financial security. People were seeing over 30% interest rates in some places. This is insane. That would make my personal mortgage payment a month over $500 more. Yeah, that would make me foreclose too.

What people SHOULD have done is studied their mortgage options more before signing on a house. A large portion of homeowners survived the housing crash simply due to two facts. 1. They worked. 2. They got a locked-in mortgage rate that can NEVER change under law. These people never seen their mortgage payments fluctuate at all. So for those that had a set mortgage rate but still lost their house, well, my personal guess is that they weren't working or had recently bought the house for more money than they could afford.

I'm 21, own my own house, own my own vehicles, provide for myself completely and cover all of my expenses under my own power and at the end of the day, I still have money left over for fun.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS IS HOW EASY IT IS TO LIVE IN AMERICA! It's not hard. No matter where you live. As long as you have a steady job, and it doesn't even have to pay you that much, as long as you don't jump into something you can't afford and don't over-extend your expenses each month, living in America truly is easy as hell. The government with all their spending still hasn't made America a hard place to live. So correct me if I'm wrong about something here.

(oh and for anyone who might think "well you make a lot of money so you can afford these things" no, I really don't. I make on average only $2,300 a month before taxes. Just that little amount allows me to live rather lavishly so stop complaining.)

Moral of the Story: Police collectively are awesome. I love them and their sacrifice to provide me with safety and security. Also, America rules. I can say that with a strong foundation of personal experience. Living here is amazing and easy. Just don't be lazy and work and you'll be just fine.

Holy christ that was a lot to type.

Last edited by Phynx; 10-3-2011 at 02:39 AM..
Phynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2011, 02:26 PM   #95
~kitty~
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Phynx, my parents are poor and they live in America and they do work. We barely have anything, and it's not easy to live here for us. The reason is mostly because of them being foreign, both from another country unable to get a proper education here, though they had one in the country they were from. Apparently their educations were non-transferable. however, the main reason why it's become so difficult is because my parents are religious and they donate 10% of their $30,000 income to the church and spend lots of other money to other things to the church (this isn't spent with the 10%), and their whole idea about this thing is that the church comes before the family. So, personally I feel like it's been difficult living in America because of this situation. Of course, when I'm on my own it probably wont be as difficult, but I feel like I reserve the right to complain at least a little bit.
Old 10-3-2011, 02:52 PM   #96
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kitty~ View Post
Phynx, my parents are poor and they live in America and they do work. We barely have anything, and it's not easy to live here for us. The reason is mostly because of them being foreign, both from another country unable to get a proper education here, though they had one in the country they were from. Apparently their educations were non-transferable. however, the main reason why it's become so difficult is because my parents are religious and they donate 10% of their $30,000 income to the church and spend lots of other money to other things to the church (this isn't spent with the 10%), and their whole idea about this thing is that the church comes before the family. So, personally I feel like it's been difficult living in America because of this situation. Of course, when I'm on my own it probably wont be as difficult, but I feel like I reserve the right to complain at least a little bit.
You only proved my point. It's easy to live in America, even to prosper. You're parents are abusing their financial situation by dedicating their incomes to religion in a far greater amount than necessary. If they would slow down with their religious indulgences and saved some for themselves, they would be far better off. Also, education has lost its "appeal" when it comes to finding good jobs. If you're a hard worker, you'll find a good job regardless of your education. There are always better jobs out there for everyone.

Old 10-3-2011, 05:02 PM   #97
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny

Disregard religion, acquire currency? My parents are mormon, they are advised by scripture to give 10% of everything they make in tithing. It's certainly easier to prosper in america more so than most countries worldwide, but you can't just say they're abusing their financial situation when they have an obligation to abide by a standard set forth for them by their religion when the whole purpose of doing so is to show god that you're willing to give 10% of everything you have to him, when he's given you life and everything else resulting in some sort of spiritual and possibly financial blessing(s). That is the sentiment most tithe payers hold. So what you think is "necessary" is an opinion you've formed while overlooking the fact that this is how millions of americans live everyday and that they have very real reasons to their being for doing so.
korny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2011, 05:10 PM   #98
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by korny View Post
Disregard religion, acquire currency? My parents are mormon, they are advised by scripture to give 10% of everything they make in tithing. It's certainly easier to prosper in america more so than most countries worldwide, but you can't just say they're abusing their financial situation when they have an obligation to abide by a standard set forth for them by their religion when the whole purpose of doing so is to show god that you're willing to give 10% of everything you have to him, when he's given you life and everything else resulting in some sort of spiritual and possibly financial blessing(s). That is the sentiment most tithe payers hold. So what you think is "necessary" is an opinion you've formed while overlooking the fact that this is how millions of americans live everyday and that they have very real reasons to their being for doing so.
I based my response on the fact that, according to kitty, they ARE abusing their personal financial situation. According to kitty, they're are not only giving 10%, which is fine, but as well even more large sums to the church. They are over-extending their obligation to the church so much so, it appears, that they are forcing themselves and their family into poverty or close to. THIS is why I say they are abusing their financial situation. Give to your religious cause, but don't give so much that your own family struggles to survive.

Old 10-3-2011, 05:14 PM   #99
Calcium Deposit
I am the liquor
FFR Music Producer

If you are forced to give large amounts of money to your "religion" (drugs), it would probably be hard to live anywhere.
Calcium Deposit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2011, 05:15 PM   #100
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by virus003 View Post
Oh yeah and Reincarnate, just wondering, you republican or democrat?
I don't associate myself fully with either party. But generally speaking, I'd consider myself more on the liberal side, if only because the right wing is so insane and ignorant.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote