Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2017, 04:20 AM   #21
Soundwave-
Carry your failures proud
FFR Veteran

Default Re: FFR Needs More/Better Beginner Songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
But then all the files blend together in an uninteresting training wheel bubble. I think intentionally undercharting songs works really well when done right.

Think say, My Little Pony Medley [Standard] as a really good example of simplifying a file and doing it cleanly and fun. It's more difficult counterpart is still really damn fun too.
The emphasis should have been on concise, and not so much on simple. If a song was composed for a file, it needn't be so simple as to only contain a 1:1 arrows to notes necessarily, but it can contain intentionally more prominent lines with simpler rhythms, as opposed to having balanced prominence that then needs to be undercharted to hit a target difficulty, a contrivance that's very noticeable.

My Little Pony Medley works well for an easier song because while it offers less prominent rhythms in the background for layering, the simpler lyric melodies are extremely prominent and are a good choice to chart alone.

On an aside, I dislike the heavy difficulty, I just don't think its a good chart imo, nothing related to under/overcharting.
Originally Posted by [11:38 PM] Hakulyte
only person who can legit tilt me is like YoshL
Quote:
Originally Posted by スンファンさん
右に3回回らない限り間違います。

Last edited by Soundwave-; 03-17-2017 at 04:21 AM.. Reason: I'll get this drilled into my head eventually
Soundwave- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:58 AM   #22
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Gonna rape kylie and ivaltek are great examples of simplified files that still capture the essence and energy of the songs without feeling dumbed down and undercharged
Old 03-17-2017, 05:59 AM   #23
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker

Also kick it and straight to video and numerous other files already in fame
Old 03-17-2017, 10:14 AM   #24
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

If I wanted to step something along these lines, what would be a good artist to look at?

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #25
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker

Cornandbeans
Old 03-17-2017, 04:50 PM   #26
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaxRunner05 View Post
If I wanted to step something along these lines, what would be a good artist to look at?
If you are willing to sift through it, the flashbulb is usually pretty good. Certain stuff from Monstercat leads to be easily charted too. But it'd all depend on what you can use from them.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:27 PM   #27
PhantomPuppy
Washed and Irrelevant D7
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

if someone wants to step a songerino my friend and i made a while back im totally fine with that. ofc, the mastering is kinda... meh.

but i do think it'd make a fun little beginner file.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUchbp43vfI

10th OT (D3): 13th
11th OT (D6): 11th
12th OT (D6): 6th
13th OT (D7): 31st
14th OT (D7): 25th
15th OT (D7): LAST PLACE
16th OT (D7): LAST PLACE LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
you know what they say

under all the rust is really shiny...……… metal
PhantomPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:28 PM   #28
happyhardcor3
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to happyhardcor3

are we talking like 1 - 10 difficulty range? game seriously needs some better tracks in that department. need to cover more genre's as well the biggest problem I've had with getting people into this game is the songs 1-3 do not have enough varity as far as genre goes.... you can play a bunch of boring generic electronic trance dance tracks. basically its like, Hey here is this really fun game but you cant actually have fun listening to the music until you play freespace and baby don't you want me 200x ea (generally a 5 difficulty or more will auto kill brand new players)

happyhardcor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #29
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

I think we are seriously hurting everything like 1-30

Old 03-18-2017, 06:07 AM   #30
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Well it ends up just being the same old song and dance (pun kinda intended) of there not being enough beginner files, but nobody wanting to step easy shit.

Honestly, I think there is ample content for beginners and newer players (~600 songs difficulty 40 and under), but we run into the problem of only half of that being *good* content. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there is a solution since newer players are going to run into legacy content and not know that it was kept for the feels. In one way, older, lower quality charts are killing the new player experience (maybe not to a monumental degree, but still), but at the same time, nobody really cares because everyone active in the community understands and it really isn't that big of a deal since our main priority isn't to reign in 10k new users a day and retain half of them.

So sure, we can step better stuff in that difficulty range, but I don't think it will resolve the issues stated in the OP because there still remains an entire genre of [subjective]shit[/subjective] that probably does more harm than good for new user retention. We then circle back to the legacy file issue, which has been slowly chipped away at for the better part of a decade, and at some point was slightly appeased by the banishment of all bluenote or otherwise [subjective]garbage[/subjective] files to its own genre. From a new user's perspective, given the new engine changes, I doubt they even use the genre system anymore and just stumble upon legacy files by sorting through the difficulty range sections of R^3. 3 days later, snowball into: wow half this game's content is garbage, osu here I come so I can masturbate to anime with one hand and play video games at the same time with the other (get offended).

But what's the solution you ask? Glad you asked. Here's my masterful two-step plan to filter out the legacy garbage for people who don't know/don't care about it and keep it for those who want it:

Step 1) Add an opt-in checkbox for legacy content in Other Options in R^3 that will enable the legacy genre's songs to be visible/playable/searchable. New players won't even know it exists unless they go snooping through page 4 of the options, at which point you can inform them that checking this box will probably leave a bad taste in their mouths. Great now that we've successfully filtered out the low-quality beginner content......

Step 2) Build empire of god-tier beginner files with a diff 40- special batch or 3 -which is actually the hard part, see first sentence of post- but I've seen this community pull off crazier shit.

tl;dr: banishing legacy content to the legacy genre is no longer effective and newer users still get trapped into playing bad content which deters them from playing this game. We need to do a banishment phase 2 which creates an opt-in situation for legacy content so that unsuspecting brand new users aren't seeing the words "Terror From Beyond" until they are actually interested in improving their ranks.

Last edited by rushyrulz; 03-18-2017 at 06:10 AM..
rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:07 AM   #31
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

40 and under isn't content for beginners and new players.

20 and under is, in my opinion.

1 - 6 songs
2 - 6 songs
3 - 6 songs
4 - 6 songs
5 - 4 songs
6 - 5 songs
7 - 11 songs
8 - 19 songs
9 - 18 songs
10- 15 songs

So that's 96 songs in the 1-10 range which also include around 25 of the old junky legacy blue-note songs.

So 1-10 which is actually where I expect most "new players" do probably do 90% of their playing for actually a month or two or more of playing is 5% of the song base, with a 1 in 4 chance of hitting a "bad" song.

If we go by year and look at say, songs in 1-10 added in the last 5 years (2012+)
We go from
6/6/6/6/4/5/11/19/18/15 = 96 songs
to
0/2/0/0/1/2/1/4/3/2 = 15 songs

Meanwhile at difficulty 60 we've added 10 songs just at 60 itself in that same window.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #32
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave- View Post
Chart is not correct either, while we're at it.
chart is more correct than file but semantics lol
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:15 AM   #33
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
Well it ends up just being the same old song and dance (pun kinda intended) of there not being enough beginner files, but nobody wanting to step easy shit.
And the reasons why are terrible, maybe I'm wrong but it seems like:

1. It's totally harder to chart something at a lower difficulty, and get it in.
2. These files will go unappreciated. There are players who literally don't see the value in ever playing the easier files.
3. Due to number two, a lot of simfile makers don't want to make it because it won't get played. People seem to prefer what I personally would consider the most boring of content: ratable jumpstream files. Nothing against those who make this, I've done it myself, but I find it really mundane, most of the time.

I'm a massive hypocrite if I don't step up (pun fully intended ayyyy) and make some myself. though, but between all my other gaming hobbies, and my immense lack of attention span, just lol. making files. I've also been focused on trying to make a minipack myself lately. Which has left no time for FFR files rofl. I still need to go readjust my Before Cynthia file.

Guess I need to send in some of the easier files I have sitting around, and make a few.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #34
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

At least you don't need to be a fucking technician to whip out a decent beginner file. Here's the recipe:
1) fire choon
2) 4th notes
3) 8th notes (whoa down there, not too many tho)
bonus) some shitty bmah thing at the end so the kids rage and play your shit 87.3 million times each

Old 03-18-2017, 10:59 AM   #35
andy-o24
Private Messages, please.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to andy-o24

Teach the masses bpm switching and everyone can create new chapters.

-o24

When the game isn't fun for you anymore, take a break. It's not a job, nobody here is professional and getting paid to play and force themselves to constantly improve... it's a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Yeah, FFR is addicting...I don't think I'll get bored with this game unless I somehow become the best at it, which won't happen.
andy-o24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #36
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-o24 View Post
Teach the masses bpm switching and everyone can create new chapters.

-o24
how fast can you type -o24 tab enter?
I bet it's pretty fast

Last edited by rushyrulz; 03-18-2017 at 11:15 AM..
Old 03-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #37
Kraezymann
Forum User
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via MSN to Kraezymann

I don't mind stepping/charting/mapping/coding/creating/pooping some easy files.

Submit to this -

Last edited by Kraezymann; 03-18-2017 at 11:23 AM..
Kraezymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:28 AM   #38
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Quote:
At least you don't need to be a fucking technician to whip out a decent beginner file. Here's the recipe:
1) fire choon
2) 4th notes
3) 8th notes (whoa down there, not too many tho)
bonus) some shitty bmah thing at the end so the kids rage and play your shit 87.3 million times each
I laughed a little too hard at this :P

I think we should have a special batch though to get some more quality beginner files in game.

Edit:// If we start now, we can get the files through our batch system by winter ... 2018

Last edited by TheSaxRunner05; 03-18-2017 at 11:28 AM..
Old 03-18-2017, 01:48 PM   #39
andy-o24
Private Messages, please.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to andy-o24

Tab enter? No way, man. I click post quick reply.
Unless I go advanced. Better look out when that happens.
Worlds.

-o24

When the game isn't fun for you anymore, take a break. It's not a job, nobody here is professional and getting paid to play and force themselves to constantly improve... it's a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Yeah, FFR is addicting...I don't think I'll get bored with this game unless I somehow become the best at it, which won't happen.
andy-o24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:39 PM   #40
Soundwave-
Carry your failures proud
FFR Veteran

Quote:

Step 2) Build empire of god-tier beginner files with a diff 40- special batch or 3 -which is actually the hard part, see first sentence of post- but I've seen this community pull off crazier shit.
tl;dr to fix a problem you have to fix the damn problem, but the reason the problem isn't fixed is nobody wants to fix the problem.

Quote:
osu here I come so I can masturbate to anime with one hand and play video games at the same time with the other (get offended).
Fuck, he's on to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
chart is more correct than file but semantics lol
Chart refers to the actually layout of the notes where as file presumably refers to the file, the two terms being interchangeable some but certainly not all of the time.

That being said I said it's not correct in this case not because of semantics but because the term "Stepfile" appears in FFR but "Chart" does not.
Originally Posted by [11:38 PM] Hakulyte
only person who can legit tilt me is like YoshL
Quote:
Originally Posted by スンファンさん
右に3回回らない限り間違います。
Soundwave- is offline   Reply With Quote